Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

There's at least once where the Enterprise almost accidentally ruined a planet with some phaser drill thing. The planet was already in trouble , but it goes to show how easy you can screw up and nearly ruin a civilization.

And don't forget the "warp without warp drive" experiment from that TNG episode, the one that went wrong and almost destroyed its destination planet before our heroes saved the day. Intentionally repeat the "transient power imbalance" and that thing is a Death Star that you can fire from light-years away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

Kitchner posted:

Sadly Trek has explained this by saying all the races were created by another race in their image so they all have matching penis's and vaginas.

It doesn't really explain anything though. I know its only a TV show but it doesn't make sense that we could somehow mate with an alien species that has been, judging by morphological characteristics, separated from us in a radically different environment for hundreds of thousands of years. It really goes against everything we know about the evolution of species.

shadow puppet of a posted:

I think you are in post-wing politics at that point given the death of economics, religion and immigration. Jaresh-Inyo was elected to office largely on a simple platform of redesigning the drinking fountain spigots, adding a Gamma Epsilon 5 day to the massive list of recognized holidays and agreeing to keep up the charade of 'wanting' Bajor to join the federation. Things that all people of sound mind can agree on.

Cultural ideals are rarely reflected by the society that creates them. Take Texas being extremely conservative yet having the highest teen pregnancy rate in the U.S. for instance.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Kitchner posted:

Different time line sorry. No red matter in the standard universe.

The red matter came from the standard universe, just in the future.

Speaking of the iEnterprise movies, who gives a poo poo about sterilizing one planet at a time, when a star can go super nova and threaten the entire galaxy! :suicide:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I think all the races in Star Trek have a gentleman's agreement to line all their ships up in neat rows and play space trafalgar instead of using relativistic kinetic weapons or annihilating each other's biospheres or creating self-replicating swarm drones or or or

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
but the genesis missiles.

Cracks me up in 3 when his son dies and Kirks like whatevs! I think in the 4th one he glances at the picture of his son. Kirk is a dick.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

but the genesis missiles.

Cracks me up in 3 when his son dies and Kirks like whatevs! I think in the 4th one he glances at the picture of his son. Kirk is a dick.

Lol. Even Sarek was like, "poo poo, Kirk, your son died for mine."

Kirk: "That's fine, no big deal."

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Clark Nova posted:

I think all the races in Star Trek have a gentleman's agreement to line all their ships up in neat rows and play space trafalgar instead of using relativistic kinetic weapons or annihilating each other's biospheres or creating self-replicating swarm drones or or or

This is too noble. Its more like an agreement to play Conkers in space where you knock ships against each other and see who'se hull breaks first. The enterprise is like a seventy nine-kinger at this point.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Entropic posted:

It's almost as if the writers were making poo poo up on an episode by episode basis and didn't have a real plan for what the Maquis were actually supposed to be.

mods??

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

if you brought a maquis back to today and showed him the "minutemen" assholes who patrol the U.S./Mexico border hoping to pick off immigrants, they'd probably nod and say "yeah makes sense to me"

yes Star Trek never drew a direct parallel between the maquis and a real world group

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

caleramaen posted:

yes Star Trek never drew a direct parallel between the maquis and a real world group

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maquis_(World_War_II)

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I really don't get why all the young people love DS9 so much. It was an utterly terrible attempt at a star trek show crossed with a romcom. People saying it had commentary on the utopia blahblah are partially right, but it was incredibly shallow and you have to really dig to even find it. It didn't help that the main plot didn't really even exist. It was a seven season show with five episodes of actual plot.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
ur fuckin dead at gooncon mate

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Reason ds9 is awesome #35383-C

The opening scene of "If Wished Were Horses" (season 1 mind you) when Quark teases Odo with a holo suite program involving Odo intermingling with a female Changeling.

Odo says "That's disgusting!"

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Ambrose Burnside posted:

you have my bat'leth

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Also Babylon 5 was a much superior show about stupid space station bullshit at the same time.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nurge posted:

Also Babylon 5 was a much superior show about stupid space station bullshit at the same time.

lol i remember like ten years ago i went to a local sci-fi con and got to hear about the time they had a panel discussion about the two shows break out into a small riot, back when they were both still on the air

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I would totally get into like a west side story dance fight over which station based sci fi 90s tv show was superior.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol i remember like ten years ago i went to a local sci-fi con and got to hear about the time they had a panel discussion about the two shows break out into a small riot, back when they were both still on the air

Usenet was loving wild over the fights between those two shows when they were both on the air. Crazy times to be a nerd. The smell of neckbeard in the morning. Smells like... victory.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I no longer want a new Trek movie or Trek series. I want a series based on these mid-1990s internet nerd fights about the two station-based scifi series, fought over the span of an entire galaxy.

barbecue at the folks fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 20, 2015

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Naxuz posted:

I no longer want a new Trek movie or Trek series. I want a series based on these mid-1990s internet nerd fights about the two station-based scifi series, fought over the span of an entire galaxy.

Alternatively I'd watch a 6 episode series arc of each respective show but as written by the other camp to prove how awful each show was in the eyes of its critics. DumbSpaceWhine and BabysOnFive.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

Speaking of the iEnterprise movies, who gives a poo poo about sterilizing one planet at a time, when a star can go super nova and threaten the entire galaxy! :suicide:

Remind me why the Romulans didn't just evacuate the system?

Also Babylon 5 was pretty good.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Remind me why the Romulans didn't just evacuate the system?

Also Babylon 5 was pretty good.

Because saving the Romulan homeworld was a gesture Spock thought would bring the unification of the Romulan and Vuclan people, but then accidentally caused the destruction of Vulcan in the process.

Oh what great irony.

At least it lead to Dr Bone's Miracle Blood which can literally cure death.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

The sci-fi novel Leviathan Wakes has a part of the plot where they talk about how everyone is deathly afraid of an actual war starting up in space because they know that planets are very easy to gently caress up.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Nurge posted:

The smell of neckbeard in the morning. Smells like... victory.

Euuhhh, is that what victory smells like?

edit also stop goddamn reading Star Trek novels or at least stop talking about them goddamn

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Tujague posted:

Euuhhh, is that what victory smells like?

edit also stop goddamn reading Star Trek novels or at least stop talking about them goddamn

Leviathan Wakes isn't a Star Trek novel, it's part of the Expanse series By James S.A. Corey

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Kitchner posted:

Because saving the Romulan homeworld was a gesture Spock thought would bring the unification of the Romulan and Vuclan people, but then accidentally caused the destruction of Vulcan in the process.

Oh what great irony.

At least it lead to Dr Bone's Miracle Blood which can literally cure death.

I meant if they knew that their sun was about to blow up long enough to contact Spock and for him to come up with a solution, why couldn't they have evacuated the system in the meantime as a precautionary measure in case this experimental new procedure doesn't work? And even if it did work, wouldn't they have to move anyways because the sun is gone? Assuming it was their sun going supernova and not a nearby sun that is.

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 20, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It wasn't the Romulan star, it was a magic star that could somehow put the entire galaxy at risk. Because that's not completely retarded hack writing at all.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

counterfeitsaint posted:

It wasn't the Romulan star, it was a magic star that could somehow put the entire galaxy at risk. Because that's not completely retarded hack writing at all.

still not nearly as bad as Into Darkness's bad everything. Orbiting the moon and your engines shut off? You're gonna hit Earth's atmosphere in like an hour instead of never. Gotta get those shields on before reentry or you'll burn up? Get them on about a kilometer from the ground and everything is fine.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

It plausibly was akin to the phenomenon that nearly wiped out all of the UK from a small recording studio in Manchester, a 'Champange Supernova', but only this time it was a Romulan Ale Supernova, if you will. Very powerful physics there, mixing alcohol and hyper compressed matter. Like drinking and driving while piloting a windowless Jem Hadar attack vessel without the headset goggles on.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Germstore posted:

still not nearly as bad as Into Darkness's bad everything. Orbiting the moon and your engines shut off? You're gonna hit Earth's atmosphere in like an hour instead of never. Gotta get those shields on before reentry or you'll burn up? Get them on about a kilometer from the ground and everything is fine.

That's because all the writing "talent" for Into Darkness went into proving Starfleet shields can't be melt by phaser beams.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

counterfeitsaint posted:

its not an impossible scenario:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-ray_burst

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Your own link states that a GRB is a very narrow beam, it could cause an extinction event only on planets hit by that beam, whereas in nu Trek it could somehow destroy the entire galaxy or something similarly stupid

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Alternatively I'd watch a 6 episode series arc of each respective show but as written by the other camp to prove how awful each show was in the eyes of its critics. DumbSpaceWhine and BabysOnFive.

Preferably done in the style of Strong Bad's Teen Girl Squad.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Filthy Hans posted:

Your own link states that a GRB is a very narrow beam, it could cause an extinction event only on planets hit by that beam, whereas in nu Trek it could somehow destroy the entire galaxy or something similarly stupid

i'm going to be honest with you, i didn't pay very close attention when watching the new star trek movies. didnt seem worth the effort

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

counterfeitsaint posted:

Wikipedia disagrees:

Kirk encounters an older Spock, who explains that he and Nero are from 129 years in the future. In that future,Romulus was threatened by a supernova. Spock's attempt to use "red matter" to create an artificial black hole and consume the supernova was too late, and Nero's family perished along with the planet.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Basically the Romulan star was about to blow up and Spock was still trying to unify the Vulcans and Romulans and was like don't worry bro we got this and then it turned out they didn't have it and that's why the bad guy is mad.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Yeah, weren't there a bunch of deleted scenes or missing script pages explaining why the badguy in that movie didn't make any loving sense? Like, if your planet got blown up and you could travel in time.... ???

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

i'm going to be honest with you, i didn't pay very close attention when watching the new star trek movies. didnt seem worth the effort

Me too, I zone out constantly during JJ Abrams' stuff, the only thing that salvages his work is the casting, at least for Star Trek and Alias

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Kitchner posted:

Wikipedia disagrees:

Kirk encounters an older Spock, who explains that he and Nero are from 129 years in the future. In that future,Romulus was threatened by a supernova. Spock's attempt to use "red matter" to create an artificial black hole and consume the supernova was too late, and Nero's family perished along with the planet.

It doesn't specifically say that it's the Romulan sun though. Under normal circumstances you would assume it would be, but the movie also used a phrase like "could threaten the entire galaxy" so that poo poo is right out the window.

Supposedly there is like a whole comic book series that explains it all in more detail, but the comic book series also talks about how Nero went and chilled with the borg for a while for some reason, and included the phrased "They tried to assimilate me, but they could assimilate ...my hate" which makes the rest of this clusterfuck of a movie look like Shakespeare by comparison.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
http://www.iflscience.com/brain/people-who-their-coffee-black-are-more-likely-be-psychopaths

Proof Janeway was a psychopath

• Locked thread