Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
My MP is a liberal

I live in Calgary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

ocrumsprug posted:

You cannot talk about the results until all the polls are closed anyways, so they serve no purpose.

That's not true anymore, you can start reporting as soon as Atlantic Canada closes up shop.

Keep that in mind for next time I guess.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Guys, I think this thread is entirely pointless now. I mean, our own (former) PM has said that the country should be run the same as our household finances, so we must be doing the right thing?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wait, who won?

EDIT: Oh, the guy who likes falling down stairs.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 20, 2015

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Xoidanor posted:

Wait, who won?

Canada won

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Liberals win
Blue Jays win
Justin Bieber found dead in puddle of his own vomit

Canada can't lose, this bubble gunna go on forever.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Liberals win
Blue Jays win
Justin Bieber found dead in puddle of his own vomit

Canada can't lose, this bubble gunna go on forever.

Rob Ford gets clean and realizes hockey is better than football.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Did John Oliver just grievously mis-present his politics or is his idea of counter-cyclical spending seriously tax cuts?

Also, and more importantly, how does this affect housing? :haw:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

quote:

Well after watching this election I had a brain wave about buying our house. I've been doing this wrong all along...
Instead of looking at buying a house I can afford I need to buy a house 27 times greater than I can afford. Maybe a 5 million dollar mansion even. Then I'll go into the bank and tell them that I won't be able to pay it back for a few years but rest assured they will get paid. Then I need to go to the home builder and explain that I need this huge house built so they will need to hire a big work force. There we go! My house has stimulated jobs. Then with all these workers I'll sit down and tell them that their going to have to give me some of their paycheque to help sustain the work on the house. When the bank finally comes around in a few years and asks to get paid I will mearly tell them that the money produced is being put back into maintaining the house and that I need another mortgage to fund an addition to stimulate the growth again. Then once even more guys are hired I'll go to the now even larger crew and say hey... I need to take a little bit more of your cheque to help stimulate growth and keep their jobs. Repeat this cycle infinitely and I will have a 30 million dollar house without spending a penny. Heck even better yet I'll take some of the money I get from the workers and pay myself as a consultant! And if the bank gets upset about the increasing debt I'll just keep raising the amount I take from the people working on my house. Maybe even get the homebuilders business to pay me for being able to work on my house.
See! Flawless plan. Works for Canada, works for me!
Sounds stupid? Well a huge majority of Canadians Just put the man who wants to do this to the entire drat country in charge because they are pissed off at the guy saying buy what you can afford. And that my friends.... is loving stupid.

Facebook is fuckin' lulzy tonight. :allears:

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Rime posted:

>Government builds housing
>Government gives housing to population
>Population is now free from the crippling terror of homelessness
>Population can direct capital and energy towards loftier pursuits

US Affordable Housing Act is all I need to say in response to this stupid post.

> Govt tenders contracts to homebuilders
> Homebuilders go on a loan binge to generate the inventory volumes
> Trades go wild and overinvest in excess builders/contractors, skewing labor incentives
> Homebuilders now excessively leveraged to a bubble market
> At risk demographics think they can afford to upkeep homes which are beyond their ability to afford and maintain in the first place
> Rural ghettos form, increasing overhead to manage cities and sprawl (Houston, Detroit, ... pick a city)
> Glut of homes in subprime and lower income brackets lead to a deflation & homebuilding slowdown
> Since 90% of a "middle class" family's wealth is tied up in the "home equity", the family is wiped out 99% of the time.
> Family needs to take out a refinancing on loan to upkeep the home. Overinvestment in building trades usually leads to near collapse in the "homebuilder" cottage industry, leading to worse poverty than had mincome been given rent-to-own titles.
> Progressives who have zero loving clue on microeconomic policy warping argue for MOAR and the bubble never actually clears; inventory continues to lead to depressed wages for Trades & the wealth effect on home equity never happens.
> Bond markets laugh at the dumb morons who think giving stuff away for free, at taxpayer expense is a genius idea.
End.

Go to bed.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Oh no hal is broken

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Congrats on getting rid of your right wing born to wealth pony fuckers, guys.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Hal_2005 posted:

US Affordable Housing Act is all I need to say in response to this stupid post.

> Govt tenders contracts to homebuilders
> Homebuilders go on a loan binge to generate the inventory volumes
> Trades go wild and overinvest in excess builders/contractors, skewing labor incentives
> Homebuilders now excessively leveraged to a bubble market
> At risk demographics think they can afford to upkeep homes which are beyond their ability to afford and maintain in the first place
> Rural ghettos form, increasing overhead to manage cities and sprawl (Houston, Detroit, ... pick a city)
> Glut of homes in subprime and lower income brackets lead to a deflation & homebuilding slowdown
> Since 90% of a "middle class" family's wealth is tied up in the "home equity", the family is wiped out 99% of the time.
> Family needs to take out a refinancing on loan to upkeep the home. Overinvestment in building trades usually leads to near collapse in the "homebuilder" cottage industry, leading to worse poverty than had mincome been given rent-to-own titles.
> Progressives who have zero loving clue on microeconomic policy warping argue for MOAR and the bubble never actually clears; inventory continues to lead to depressed wages for Trades & the wealth effect on home equity never happens.
> Bond markets laugh at the dumb morons who think giving stuff away for free, at taxpayer expense is a genius idea.
End.

Go to bed.

> sudo rm -rf /

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Also look at the MP map, looks like even after 10 years of great Harper success Alberta is still pro conservative:

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Alberta has always been trash

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Chalets the Baka posted:

Alberta has always been trash

Even "good" metro cities like Calgary are pro-conservative.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Gonzo McFee posted:

Congrats on getting rid of your right wing born to wealth pony fuckers, guys.

dunno what you call Trudeau if not 'born to wealth'

maybe not a pony fucker tho

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

etalian posted:

Even "good" metro cities like Calgary are pro-conservative.

We elected two Liberal MPs, and a progressive Muslim (possibly gay) mayor. Calgary's coming around, and I think if we do well under a Liberal government for the next few years, the Cons won't be able to treat it as safe ground at all.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
Was the last John Oliver show accurate in its description of Boyband Justin?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

etalian posted:

Also look at the MP map, looks like even after 10 years of great Harper success Alberta is still pro conservative:

:wtc: is St. Albert doing on that map? Of all the cities you could list, why pick a suburb of Edmonton?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

OhYeah posted:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OhYeah posted:

Really surprised Oliver left out the boxing match, that was easily the high point of his political career until now

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
You got to gently caress things up really badly to lose an election with a single right-wing party, against an opposition as divided and split up as Canada's is.

Congratulations to Stephen Harper on pulling it off.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Craptacular! posted:

You got to gently caress things up really badly to lose an election with a single right-wing party, against an opposition as divided and split up as Canada's is.

Congratulations to Stephen Harper on pulling it off.

And yet we still will not see electoral reform for at least 4 years. No reason to change a system that gave you a fuckin majority.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Is the election result expected to affect the debt bubbles at all? Any pledges on interest rates, home buyer subsidies, etc?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
The Federal Government doesn't set interest rates.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Freezer posted:

Is the election result expected to affect the debt bubbles at all? Any pledges on interest rates, home buyer subsidies, etc?

If it's like every other left of centre government the economy will improve and we'll all get better jobs and pay down our debt. Or get larger pick-ups.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Freezer posted:

The only party that was making noises about strengthening the bubble (home reno credits) lost, so that will probably not happen. Other than a nod to the affordability crisis in a few metros, none of the parties sounded like they had any interest in doing anything other than status quo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Well at least Harper will have lots of time now to catch up on his Netflix watchlist.

Thank you for your service trudeau

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

etalian posted:

Fun fact. The blue ridings from Manitoba through Alberta match up exactly with the historical immigration pattern of people from the US to Canada in the very early days of the country.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I am so happy that every single Winnipeg riding gave the CPC the boot. Now comes the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the south and west.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

EvilJoven posted:

I am so happy that every single Winnipeg riding gave the CPC the boot. Now comes the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the south and west.

We booted them off the island too! Orange crush!! Go NDP... oh it's just my island.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

We booted them off the island too! Orange crush!! Go NDP... oh it's just my island.

You might want to get the tip looked at. It's all green. I think it's diseased or something.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hamelekim posted:

Fun fact. The blue ridings from Manitoba through Alberta match up exactly with the historical immigration pattern of people from the US to Canada in the very early days of the country.

cowboy hot wearing tories are just americans in disguise.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The only blue areas left are a map of where to find Canadian hick trash. Avoid.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
What about that other shade of blue?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

lolling how even with a divided opposition who did run not the best campaigns, they still removed piles of tories.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

YeOldeButchere posted:

What about that other shade of blue?

Same, but french.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
Not quite the same... 9 of the current 10 Bloc ridings went NDP in the last election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Now I'm hoping to see Harper arrested like several of his staff and MPs.
Harper was our Nixon, and we'll see more evidence of his corruption now that he can't silence those under him.