Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Really at this point the thing I'm most excited for is salvaging all these loving rings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Schpyder posted:

Joke's on you, Colin says you need to have everything trained before you can start putting hero points into the elite spec! :downs:

Well crap, I guess I just misread it was just the traits finished first.

Really though, it's going to be 40 hero challenges to get all the trait and cosmetic stuff from scratch, but a lot less for just the traits. Assuming that datamined thing was still valid.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i guess i can see why they'd want it to be something people have to work for, but it's still kind of hilarious how the sense of scale works in regards to map completion only being worth roughly half of what you need.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
The fact that a single jungle challenge is worth basically an entire zone's worth of challenges really puts it into perspective how quickly we'll be unlocking these new specs.

I'm not even concerned about which character to start with now. They'll all get their elite specs soon enough.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 20, 2015

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

We need 400 hero points to unlock the Elite Specs?

What is the fastest way to grind about 200 of them?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Xae posted:

We need 400 hero points to unlock the Elite Specs?

What is the fastest way to grind about 200 of them?

Do about 20 HoT challenges.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Schpyder posted:

Wait, does that mean it's going to take about 400 hero points to train an elite spec? :psypop:

my only hope is that they lower it by the time i get around to buying hot on discount

goattrails
Nov 27, 2009

Ride the frog, baby!
Milestone Reached:

Edit:
Just in time for a new class to get released too.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
We need some kind of toxx challenge for unlocking specs.

24 hours to unlock X specs?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

goattrails posted:

Milestone Reached:

Edit:
Just in time for a new class to get released too.

Only 4.9 are white human females, try again.

goattrails
Nov 27, 2009

Ride the frog, baby!
Two are humans, the other two are norn.

Farbror
Sep 18, 2012

I keep dying in boss fights as a thief. I'm level 80 with exotic berserker gear, using daggers and shortbow. Some of the damage seems completely impossible to avoid and comes out of nowhere, and all the spell effects make it hard to see if there are telegraphs. There are plenty of guides on what skills and gear to use, but I think I'm clearly missing something when it comes to surviving.

Does anyone have one simple trick discovered by a mom to help me not suck so much? Should I just plink with my shortbow and accept my terribleness?

goattrails
Nov 27, 2009

Ride the frog, baby!

Farbror posted:

I keep dying in boss fights as a thief. I'm level 80 with exotic berserker gear, using daggers and shortbow. Some of the damage seems completely impossible to avoid and comes out of nowhere, and all the spell effects make it hard to see if there are telegraphs. There are plenty of guides on what skills and gear to use, but I think I'm clearly missing something when it comes to surviving.

Does anyone have one simple trick discovered by a mom to help me not suck so much? Should I just plink with my shortbow and accept my terribleness?

Well you're about as tough as a wet paper bag with that gear, so I'd suggest finding something else that makes you survive.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Zerk thief is tricky and a surprising amount of it depends on just knowing the fight and boss tells. Also, don't be afraid to hop out of melee and plink/throw daggers for a few seconds if you need your heal to come up or endurance to regen or whatever.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 20, 2015

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Farbror posted:

Be generous with your dodges; between Signet of Agility, shortbow 3, Withdraw, and Death Blossom (if you're really desperate), there's enough there that even you just think something might maybe hit you, dodge.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Swapping in Invigorating Precision over No Quarter is worth the damage loss on fights where you'd otherwise be getting downed repeatedly. Some bosses just have so much health that DPS racing them gets a little shaky if everyone isn't totally on point.

Sometimes I start to delay backstabbing to sit in stealth for a couple seconds if I notice the boss is focusing me, in a desperate bid for them to gently caress off and whack the warrior instead. Not sure it's ever worked.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Really your best option is to roll a warrior instead

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Swapping in Invigorating Precision over No Quarter is worth the damage loss on fights where you'd otherwise be getting downed repeatedly. Some bosses just have so much health that DPS racing them gets a little shaky if everyone isn't totally on point.

Yeah that too, I tend to prefer IP to NQ. Party members have no problem putting permafury on me and aside from the naked survival boost, IP also maintains Keen Observer, Flawless Strikes, and the Scholar 6-piece bonus. Worth trading off the 250 Ferocity imo.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 20, 2015

Farbror
Sep 18, 2012

Thanks for the replies. I guess I was listening a little too much to the min-maxing guides out there. They made it sound like there's only one option at all for thieves. :)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

At risk of angering the anti-meta contingent it really is just that one build for pve (until Friday, anyway). However there are hundreds of tiny tweaks you can make to that build so that it works for you, whether it be trait choices, utility skills, weapon swaps, etc. The DnT/metabattle builds are crafted to work under ideal circumstances, whatever those might be, so they're flexible. There's no harm at all in trying different things -- it's good, actually, not only because it will increase your skill and experience with that class, but you can also get an idea of why the meta is that way instead of just blindly accepting or rejecting it.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Metabattle build pages tend to also list a lot of good build tweaks and cheaper rune/food buff alternatives. (The dungeon thief build page mentions swapping in Invigorating Precision for more survivability.) You'd probably have to know encounters already to know when exactly to swap things out though.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
My meta build for PvE is to have Cletus in my party.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

whydirt posted:

My meta build for PvE is to have Cletus in my party.

Make sure you're angry about it though :allears:

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
Just to recap.

A fully tomed 2-80 character has enough points to unlock every single core trait line.
It costs ~400 points to fully unlock an elite spec (including the armor/weapon skin fluff)
A Maguuma Jungle hero challenge is worth ~10 points.

It takes 40 Jungle challenges to fully unlock an elite on a pure tomed character.

That's not...too bad. 40 is still a big number, but it's feasible even with a few alts. Those who miss out on launch week Jungle rushes for the challenges will be in a strong deficit depending on how obnoxious the Jungle challenges are.

e : loving lol to WvW players though. gently caress me, right.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

You could also stop trying to be a victim and just grab all the hero points like the rest of us.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

treizebee posted:

Just to recap.

A fully tomed 2-80 character has enough points to unlock every single core trait line.
It costs ~400 points to fully unlock an elite spec (including the armor/weapon skin fluff)

It takes 40 Jungle challenges to fully unlock an elite on a pure tomed character.

That's not...too bad. 40 is still a big number, but it's feasible even with a few alts. Those who miss out on launch week Jungle rushes for the challenges will be in a strong deficit depending on how obnoxious the Jungle challenges are.

e : loving lol to WvW players though. gently caress me, right.

I'm concerned that many hero points could locked behind masteries. Ones high up in the jungle canopy you need to train on bouncy mushrooms for, etc. We'll find out before long but I hope that isn't the plan.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
We also don't know how much the skills and traits cost overall. The Elite line is 400 points, but we don't know the order the weapon/armor piece are in versus the traits and skills and the costs for everything. The skins could very well be a decent chunk of the 400. So even if some hero points are locked behind masteries, it might be possible to max the skills and traits without needing them.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Fortunately it will be possible to grab all the low hanging fruit Hero Challenges in HoT maps, and then just farm WvW rankup unlock scrolls to unlock the rest with no mastery required.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

treizebee posted:

That's not nearly as bad as it could have been but still annoying I guess. No dragonhunter for a while :(

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Adhesive Gamin posted:

You could also stop trying to be a victim and just grab all the hero points like the rest of us.

Like the rest of you. Not the rest of us to me, which are the WvW players.

But sure, ok. I will go map complete for the next half year to get half the elite spec unlocked, despite not enjoying PvE. Then I will spend another couple of months earning ~200 ranks in WvW to get my one character his elite.
Totally victimizing myself here.

Please don't tell me how to play the game m8 buddy. o7

e : Btw, if it weren't for the RAGING VICTIMS like my lonesome self pointing out grindy crap like this, the original hero point change where you couldn't get enough points to unlock everything 1-80 would still be in the game.

treizebee fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 20, 2015

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's not nearly as bad as it could have been but still annoying I guess. No dragonhunter for a while :(

Kinda sucks for people who play alot of characters, and hero challenges are maybe one of the more boring things in the game to grind out.So to have to do it over and over, just ugh. I want to play HOT with HOT stuff not with normal poo poo I've been playing for years now. :(

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

If you don't like pve or wvw, you play pvp. So you get the traitline anyway. Why are you complaining?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Fortunately it will be possible to grab all the low hanging fruit Hero Challenges in HoT maps, and then just farm WvW rankup unlock scrolls to unlock the rest with no mastery required.
Plus, most people will have at least some hero points even if they tomed their characters. Guess I'm starting out with my Rev for HoT Story though, kind need Herald to make it work for how I wanted to play it :v:

I'm actually okay with this change because I couldn't be bothered grinding hero challenges on the ~10 characters I regularly play and was going to use hero specs on in PvE/WvW and since Masteries are account wide once you've unlocked them on your first character all your alts will be able to just race through and grab the ones that are locked behind mushrooms/glider stuff anyway.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

NapoleonAtWaterloo posted:

Kinda sucks for people who play alot of characters, and hero challenges are maybe one of the more boring things in the game to grind out.So to have to do it over and over, just ugh. I want to play HOT with HOT stuff not with normal poo poo I've been playing for years now. :(

I agree, I don't expect to unlock hero specs on my many alts maybe ever, at the rate I play :(

kater
Nov 16, 2010

treizebee posted:

Like the rest of you. Not the rest of us to me, which are the WvW players.

But sure, ok. I will go map complete for the next half year to get half the elite spec unlocked, despite not enjoying PvE. Then I will spend another couple of months earning ~200 ranks in WvW to get my one character his elite.
Totally victimizing myself here.

Please don't tell me how to play the game m8 buddy. o7

e : Btw, if it weren't for the RAGING VICTIMS like my lonesome self pointing out grindy crap like this, the original hero point change where you couldn't get enough points to unlock everything 1-80 would still be in the game.

Why don't you like having goals?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

kater posted:

Lol videogame "goals"

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
e : ^^^ bahaahaha

kater posted:

lol are you serious

It's a game

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

treizebee posted:

a true american hero

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Last I saw, the unique armor/weapon made up a large chunk of the training for the elite specializations. The numbers may change for live, though.

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mizuti posted:

unique armor/shoulder piece

Are there pics of these yet btw?

• Locked thread