Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I really want some kind of IG focused game, just regular troops squaring off against insane cosmic horrors.

I want a GorkaMorka game, just orks racing buggies in the desert so they can bash each other over scrap, so basically a greener version of Mad Max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I was immensely disappointed when I bombed a group of stormvermin off the top of the tower on Supply and Demand only for them to not die from fall damage

Poistiant
Aug 22, 2006
I've only seen one person post about the double pistols of the dwarf, they are awesome and I feel like I'm missing something for thinking that. They work off heat and if you roll -10 buildup on them you can fire for a long time before needing to switch back to melee and the charge up sets a huge swath of dudes on fire while still being armor piercing.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
You know, after finally getting a flaming sword I gotta say I'm not that impressed with it's sweap. I prefer the starting type sword for the BW since the sweep is larger to hit more rats.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Robzilla posted:

You know, after finally getting a flaming sword I gotta say I'm not that impressed with it's sweap. I prefer the starting type sword for the BW since the sweep is larger to hit more rats.

Second. I miss the headshots you get with the normal sword while sweeping at headheight as well. Then again, it's a flaming sword.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
I kept telling people the flaming sword was near identical to the wizard sword, but nooo, everyone was just dying to set people on fire.

Goatschach
Dec 25, 2006

Who watches the goatman?

Poistiant posted:

I've only seen one person post about the double pistols of the dwarf, they are awesome and I feel like I'm missing something for thinking that. They work off heat and if you roll -10 buildup on them you can fire for a long time before needing to switch back to melee and the charge up sets a huge swath of dudes on fire while still being armor piercing.

I'm feeling the same way, they guarantee me a ton of kills at the start of waves and then I can just chop guys while they cool off. They probably run out of usefulness past normal once/if they no longer one shot regular skaven.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Robzilla posted:

I haven't gotten to try flaming sword yet, but I really want to like the morning star. It helps (a lot) that I got a regrowth mace (10% chance to heal 5% on regular attack) which means I can get away with venting overcharge constantly to make up for not having a good aoe sweep in melee..

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

If a weapon has a listed special oh "Headshot" what does that mean? In my experience everything can headshot, if you aim for the head so whats going on here?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I'm pretty sure only things with Headshot do extra damage when you hit heads.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It would be nice to have mouseover tooltips explaining weapon properties like headshot. I mean they're all sort of self-evident but would still be nice to have.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Skandranon posted:

I kept telling people the flaming sword was near identical to the wizard sword, but nooo, everyone was just dying to set people on fire.

If you're not a pyromaniac, I don't know why you'd even Bright Wizard.

So one of my buddies goes 'HEY GUYS! A LOOT RAT!' and rockets off after it while we're healing up. During the ensuing chaos of trying to save him, he's apologizing the whole time and we're getting chain-hung by packmasters. We somehow got out of it, but holy poo poo.

And he didn't even get Sackrat, I nailed the guy a few moments later with the crossbow.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Grondoth posted:

I'm pretty sure only things with Headshot do extra damage when you hit heads.

Not the case at all. All melee weapons will do more damage with hits to the head. Probably same with ranged, not sure about that.

Poistiant
Aug 22, 2006

Goatschach posted:

I'm feeling the same way, they guarantee me a ton of kills at the start of waves and then I can just chop guys while they cool off. They probably run out of usefulness past normal once/if they no longer one shot regular skaven.

Still can one shot normal skaven on hard with just a normal shot and it wrecks specials since its armor piercing, not very accurate so I can see why that its not 100% better than every gun but it will put a hurting on a group of stormvermin or the rogre.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dezztroy posted:

Not the case at all. All melee weapons will do more damage with hits to the head. Probably same with ranged, not sure about that.

Things with armour generally don't have armoured heads. Things with headshot tend to kill instantly if they hit a head.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Looking to play with some people. I wouldn't mind using some VOIP. I'm here on steam.

I recently got myself some nice blades that give ammo on kills, so that's swell.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
I've got a hatchet for the Witch Hunter that has scavenger. Rolled crap when upgrading it, but still useful. There's a bug though, in that scavenged ammo goes into your ammo pool, and if you are using your brace of pistols, there is no reload. It seems to sometimes transfer over, but is not reliable. But since Scavenger always gives you 1 ammo anyways, it's not worth it for fast firing weapons, but definitely lets you use the crossbow more.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
Been doing Hard Smuggler's Run runs a lot for the past day or two to get enchantment fodder, but I keep finding blue gear. Help, Goons!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I did a few Nightmare Smuggler's Runs with bots earlier and that was p chill. Seems like there's only one area for a ROgre to spawn and there's a route that gives you a lot of narrow corridors that make it super easy to punch through. The trick is to resist the urge to look around for stuff, since there's very little stuff in Smuggler's Run and as the only human you're the only one picking up stuff beyond medicine anyway.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Coolguye posted:

I did a few Nightmare Smuggler's Runs with bots earlier and that was p chill. Seems like there's only one area for a ROgre to spawn and there's a route that gives you a lot of narrow corridors that make it super easy to punch through. The trick is to resist the urge to look around for stuff, since there's very little stuff in Smuggler's Run and as the only human you're the only one picking up stuff beyond medicine anyway.

Yeah, it's a map that seems pretty fit for bots. I've soloed it a few times at least on Hard with no issues. The only place they really run into trouble is when you are down in the middle of a mob of rats. They will kill themselves just trying to get you on your feet. Once they are down too, the others will come and try to pick you up without clearing the rats, resulting in their deaths.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I wish bots would pick up and use bombs.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I got a blue wizard sword with a big knock back ability and rolled 10% chance on kill to lower over charge. I've become a burning engine of death :getin:

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Got my first exotics. As someone whose favorite character is Kruber, I'm not terribly excited.

Also where you hat-havers getting them? Nightmare?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Coolguye posted:

Figured I'd give it a try. Two feet out of the door a rogre spawns, with a horde on its heels, then a packrat snagged the dwarf, and finally a gas rat tagged me when I made a break for it.

Edit: second attempt bears the exact same results, only it was a gutter runner instead of a pack rat.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 20, 2015

thejacob
Feb 13, 2014

Coolguye posted:

I've never seen a Rat Ogre down there

I want your RNG.

As for those who love to touch the stove, you are missing a very simple solution to your problem with them grabbing the grims. Pick it up first and spike it. Problem solved. Bonus points if you can down a pubbie at low health when you grab it.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
First run through magnus: No RO, six specials during the entire run, not a single ambush and two hordes. Second run through magnus: RO, two assassins, gunner and gasrat during the guardhouse along with an ambush, and after limping through that we get two packmasters, a gunner and an assassin along with an ambush and a horde.

gently caress this RNG.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My very first time playing we ran into a gunner, a horde, and a Rogre as the very first special spawn we found.

We died.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
jesus christ quit rushing past specials they loving follow you you idiot loving pubs

e: Not you guys. You guys are ok.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

jesus christ quit rushing past specials they loving follow you you idiot loving pubs

One run we had a rattling gunner following us across the rooftops as we got into the Magnus tower elevator. Looked down and saw him climbing on the roof to the building and got ready to fire at us. Two of us sniped him from the top of the tower. Bad move ratman.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

No-scope stormvermin from 50 yards :smug:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The dwarf's crossbow, even if you don't get a headshot, seems to stagger a ratling gunner out of his shooting stance.

This was very helpful.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

thejacob posted:

I want your RNG.

As for those who love to touch the stove, you are missing a very simple solution to your problem with them grabbing the grims. Pick it up first and spike it. Problem solved. Bonus points if you can down a pubbie at low health when you grab it.

Not a bad idea but have to do it now before they catch on.

"Oh hey guys the grim didn't spawn it's the weirdest thing buggy new release games am I right"

Also given what happened to L4D and Payday, how long until the Vermintide community turns toxic? Three, four days after release?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

NeurosisHead posted:

I find sometimes that a globadier/ratling gunner won't be in a position to hurt you but randos will take ages to sit and snipe at them instead of just moving on. If the special follows you then you can just draw it into a better place to deal with it instead of wasting time not moving forward.

I haven't had to fight a rat ogre on the rooftops of magnus in a while, has anyone tried running past it to the lift instead of fighting?

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
The big thing that made L4D/2 enjoyable at higher difficulties was the knowledge that you could only get a certain amount of specials at once, and no duplicates. If you killed a hunter you knew you were in the clear for at least 10 seconds, and if you killed all of the specials you had some time to move through the level relatively unhindered. Here though there doesn't seem to be a stop to the specials spawns.

They spawn two at a time at set intervals regardless of how many are up. This is independent from the horde mechanic that is marked by a horn sounding in the distance, and the ambush mechanic which is a bunch of low whispers followed by a scream. The game also peppers in patrols and stormvermin alongside the normal rats. On top of this Rat Ogres are a separate thing from that, which means that if you're really unlucky you can end up with 6+ specials, a horde, an ambush and a RO at the same time. Usually this doesn't happen as the specials will trickle in two-three at a time, but sometimes they seem to stay behind the curtains until either a horde or an ambush pop up and just bumrush you all at once.

That means that its all up to random luck if you will have an easy run through or if you will barely make it to the gate in Horn of Magnus. There doesn't seem to be an AI director that spawns appropriate specials and hordes at appropriate times and lays off a bit if the group is in tatters. There is no up and down tension roller-coaster, its either a cakewalk or an absolute stomping.

The game itself is very fun, I just personally feel like Im at the whims of Nuffle on whether we make it through or not.

BombiTheZombie fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 20, 2015

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
Does anyone know if the version gmg is selling is a steam key? Looking to gift some copies through steam to some friends of mine.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Ok just completed a Nightmare Smuggler's Run after about 5 attempts. Had the most success with Bright Wizard with Bolt staff, since the bots are pretty shy about getting our their ranged weapons to take care of them.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

BombiTheZombie posted:

The big thing that made L4D/2 enjoyable at higher difficulties was the knowledge that you could only get a certain amount of specials at once, and no duplicates. If you killed a hunter you knew you were in the clear for at least 10 seconds, and if you killed all of the specials you had some time to move through the level relatively unhindered. Here though there doesn't seem to be a stop to the specials spawns.

They spawn two at a time at set intervals regardless of how many are up. This is independent from the horde mechanic that is marked by a horn sounding in the distance, and the ambush mechanic which is a bunch of low whispers followed by a scream. The game also peppers in patrols and stormvermin alongside the normal rats. On top of this Rat Ogres are a separate thing from that, which means that if you're really unlucky you can end up with 6+ specials, a horde, an ambush and a RO at the same time. Usually this doesn't happen as the specials will trickle in two-three at a time, but sometimes they seem to stay behind the curtains until either a horde or an ambush pop up and just bumrush you all at once.

That means that its all up to random luck if you will have an easy run through or if you will barely make it to the gate in Horn of Magnus. There doesn't seem to be an AI director that spawns appropriate specials and hordes at appropriate times and lays off a bit if the group is in tatters. There is no up and down tension roller-coaster, its either a cakewalk or an absolute stomping.

The game itself is very fun, I just personally feel like Im at the whims of Nuffle on whether we make it through or not.

Remember there is such a thing as a luck stat in the game. Either stack it with trinkets or avoid cursed die if you want easier runs.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Nechronic posted:

I haven't had to fight a rat ogre on the rooftops of magnus in a while, has anyone tried running past it to the lift instead of fighting?
Yes. Half an hour ago. We lost a Tome and a Grimoire

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Nodelphi posted:

Does anyone know if the version gmg is selling is a steam key? Looking to gift some copies through steam to some friends of mine.

Pretty sure that it's a steamworks game, which would mean Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Demiurge4 posted:

Remember there is such a thing as a luck stat in the game. Either stack it with trinkets or avoid cursed die if you want easier runs.

One of the things that I really like is all of the risk/reward items in this game. It's not like, the most challenging game ever as a baseline on normal, but you can trade up to make poo poo pretty hard if you want and it is unforgiving as gently caress if you do. That's fun as poo poo to me.

• Locked thread