Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
Ending talk, since people were asking "if I did X does y happen?"

I didn't save Kate (I should have though I am still salty I didn't go with my gut) and she showed up at Chloe's funeral.

It was an easy choice for me, in the end. Max spends the whole game trying to help people in the way that she can but ultimately HOW she wants to.. she doesn't really take anyone else's input because she's immune to people finding out. I killed Chloe in the alternate timeline and I killed her again... it felt wrong and selfish to say no to her. To keep saving someone that doesn't want to be saved, that doesn't want to go against their fate.

Mondlicht fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Actually Ep 5 outright confirms the alternate Max thing. She has to plan around not remembering after telling Chloe everything in Warren's photo, and Chloe directly states how Max is "really her again" on the beach after it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually Ep 5 outright confirms the alternate Max thing. She has to plan around not remembering after telling Chloe everything in Warren's photo, and Chloe directly states how Max is "really her again" on the beach after it.

That doesn't confirm anything. It confirms there was a Max up to the point that the "real" Max reasserted herself, it doesn't confirm that when Max creates an alternate timeline that timeline continues to exist without her. We already knew photo-jumping causes her to take the place of the Max up until that point from episode 4's William adventure, but stuff like the angry Max insinuating she left broken timelines in her wake or the texts from people in alternate timelines come off as Max just having a nightmare rather than confirmation of a theory - unless you want it to be, which is why I call it lazy, because they just threw it in there as "hey maybe!" :speculate:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Sakurazuka posted:

Literally did not even spend a fraction of a second thinking about the last choice, let the world burn :unsmigghh:
:hf:

Nothing is worth the price of giving up THE TIME LESBIANS!

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
Actually, now I'm wondering where the homeless lady is if you warned her. I wonder if she got out of Arcadia Bay period? The Great Arcadia Bay Tornado (3 survivors).

I also can't help but wonder whether any alt timeline Maxae Maxii Maxen Maxes tried the "become a homeless woman shouting about impending apocalypse" option.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Kaislioc posted:

I also can't help but wonder whether any alt timeline Maxae Maxii Maxen Maxes tried the "become a homeless woman shouting about impending apocalypse" option.

It makes me feel pedantic but gently caress, couldn't they have at least tried "behold everyone, I am a powerful time traveler! Here's a demonstration of my powers so you believe me. Okay now all that freak weather you've been seeing? A typhoon's coming to town so everyone clear out". Unless fate's attempts to kill Chloe just keep escalating (in which case good luck "Sacrifice Arcadia Bay" choosers) that massive swath of property damage would be the only casualty. True, Max would probably then have to go on the run or in hiding to avoid ending up dissected in a government lab but at least she could have her cake and eat it too.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
How come the deer is allowed to move forward in the backward nightmare? Life is....not fair.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The only part about the ending I didn't like was that it meant that the game was over.
I never really cared for Chloe all that much, but David...
Man, I felt so bad for this guy. He is hosed up from being a war hardened soldier and he knows it. He loves Joyce and even Chloe really deeply but the only way he can express it is by being overprotective and downright abusive. He even agreed to go to family consulting. All he ever wanted was to have a happy family which loves him and he hopes that she will actually call him stepdad at some point.
With regards to the death his stepdaughter: I told him the truth, because I felt like he deserved to know. And he immediately ruined his life as a result. :smith:
Rigth before the end, when she convices you to let her die, Chloe says: "Even my step... dad deserves better than this." :unsmith:

Also the scene which creeped me out the most:
When you try to leave the dream classroom and you are forced to take one of four terrible dialouge options. It feels so incredibly hopeless. Max hates all of these lines, but she can't help but to say one of them.
"I think of it as our dark room. :kiddo: It's the only place I feel like my true self." That's a line from some messed up Stockholm Syndrome victim.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 20, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rachel AmberSpirit deer give no fucks

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Now that we got all that story stuff out of the way, can we PLEASE have a co-op horde mode already?! Max can rewind time and has polaroid flashbangs, Chloe dual wields pistols, Warren [GOES APE].

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

It was still a three hour episode. I wonder if the disappointment is that the ending was "predictable" because all the cards were effectively on the table by this point, but they should be when you are entering Act 5. Even if you have a twist ending - I'll pull out the Sixth Sense as an example - if you watched 4/5ths of the movie and had a few months to think about it with a bunch of goons, you'd probably guess the ending. Or for a video game example, play 4/5ths of Spec Ops: The Line, you'd guess what happens at the end pretty quickly with some time to think about it before continuing. The only way to avoid that is to really keep information from the player, but that's not entirely fair.
I do honestly wonder how much more I would have enjoyed the ending if I had played them all in a row without months of anticipation and fan theories. I think you guys are absolutely right here.

Dolash posted:

This basically had the same problems as Mass Effect 3 - a character-driven story with lots of big mysteries that abandons those characters and mysteries at the last moment for the sake of a contrived ending choice disconnected from the rest of the game for the sake of a fairly vague overall message.
I don't want to get too into this, as books could be written about what was wrong and theoretically right with Mass Effect 3's ending...

But one of the biggest problems was that the ME3 ending introduced a poo poo ton of ideas and factors that were not built up at all in the game. Life Is Strange on the other hand had been hinting and building to that conclusion all year long. They absolutely set it up. There's other things to fault them for, but I'd say THAT makes it markedly different from ME3.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

exquisite tea posted:

Now that we got all that story stuff out of the way, can we PLEASE have a co-op horde mode already?! Max can rewind time and has polaroid flashbangs, Chloe dual wields pistols, Warren [GOES APE].

Life is Strange MOBA for some [GOES APE] ~big plays~ at the Everyday Heroes World Championships.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

PunkBoy posted:

Life is Strange MOBA for some [GOES APE] ~big plays~ at the Everyday Heroes World Championships.

I swear, if our loving Chloe feeds Jefferson one more time...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Who has the better K/D ratio, Max or Chloe? Max seems to be doing better, but she's also got the negative points from a teamkill.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I gotta say, I felt the ending was handled pretty well. The ending was the "obvious" ending, but I actually didn't expect the game to have you make the decision yourself, even though you've made a bunch of major decisions up to that point. I think that's why it worked for me. It was my choice to either sacrifice Chloe or sacrifice the town. I figured if you didn't sacrifice the town, and everyone dies, Chloe would essentially hate you. So they'd be together and Chloe would be alive but she'd be pissed you let everyone die. Either way it doesn't work out where you guys can be both happy and alive.

Also my Max totally kissed Chloe at the end and didn't even hug Warren before time traveling. Apparently according to the stats it's possible to kiss Warren but I didn't even have that option at all.

The stats for who scarified Chloe and who scarified the town are pretty close which I find interesting.

Wellp time to read the thread and find out what happens if you go the other way.

I also saved Alyssa all 5 times. I'm a time hero :cool:

That last choice was definitely a choice just like the killing alternate reality Chloe where I had to step away and actually think about the choice. So ya know. Props to Dontnod for that.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
I was wondering which ending is currently winning? I feel like the saving chloe option will win in the end but I want to know everyone else's thoughts

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

JesterOfAmerica posted:

I was wondering which ending is currently winning? I feel like the saving chloe option will win in the end but I want to know everyone else's thoughts

It's currently 48/52 in favor of saving the town on Steam. The final choice is, I guess you could say, quite polarizing?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

JesterOfAmerica posted:

The problem with that is that the save Chloe ending basically invalidates all your other choices. I was okay with that because I screwed up a lot my first time through, but on repeat plays, people might not be. Right now, the winning choice is Saving Arcadia by a few percent, and I think it's gonna stay that way (given that everyone's gonna try to save Chloe at least once, if the Walking Dead choice percentage history is any indication).

Max
Nov 30, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

It's currently 48/52 in favor of saving the town on Steam. The final choice is, I guess you could say, quite polarizing?

Does that take into account people replaying the ending to see the other version? Because it was opposite last night.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ugh, wtf, they only kiss if you choose to sacrifice Chloe? Bad game, naughty game, no supper for you. :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Max posted:

Does that take into account people replaying the ending to see the other version? Because it was opposite last night.

I attribute this entirely to Ep. 5-marathoning shippers tilting the odds.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I laughed when I realized they were gonna go through *all* the endings before getting to the real one.

Guess it was an alright ending, if yeah, predictable after months of pulling it through the stretcher. For awhile there in the clusterfuck I thought they'd actually decide to subvert any and all expectations and just go BAD END but oh well.

(One alternative sure is kinda gimped on actually showing any aftermath / your choices ~not mattering~ much, but the whole episode is kinda a parade of your previous choices so... "okay".

An enjoyable ride.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Ugh, wtf, they only kiss if you choose to sacrifice Chloe? Bad game, naughty game, no supper for you. :(

Is that confirmed? Because I watched a video of both endings and in their version of the sacrifice Chloe ending, they simply hugged. In my version they kissed. Did anyone who sacrificed the town but also rebuffed Warren as much as possible and kissed Chloe in the bedroom also have them kiss in that ending? I wonder how many variations on things there are?

This game's overall ending is predictable, but there's a ton of little changes it looks like that I appreciated. It didn't go all the way with its choice making the way a lot of people probably wanted, but it sure did a hell of a lot better of a job with it than Telltale seems to do. Their games it seems like nothing matters in even small ways.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

does anyone know what time the PS4 version goes live?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

They missed an opportunity to have the art exhibit turn out to be full of Mr Jefferson-like psychopaths; Welcome Max, now you're one of us Max, one of us :unsmigghh:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Is that confirmed? Because I watched a video of both endings and in their version of the sacrifice Chloe ending, they simply hugged. In my version they kissed. Did anyone who sacrificed the town but also rebuffed Warren as much as possible and kissed Chloe in the bedroom also have them kiss in that ending? I wonder how many variations on things there are?

Yes, that can happen. You can also apparently not even get the option to gently caress Warren, but it was there for me.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Max and Warren totally went ape in my playthrough

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

sout posted:

That was a :stare: moment for me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Yes, that can happen. You can also apparently not even get the option to gently caress Warren, but it was there for me.

sout posted:

Haha what is this for real?

I really loved the nightmare/reality loving up sequence. The birds splattering on the window, the weird MGS-esque sequence, the walking through all the Chloe/Max memories. The game trolling you with the bottles. The giant squirrels made me :stare: a bit. In fact the whole sequence going through the dorm hallway multiple times was :psyduck:ing me up

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 20, 2015

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Mondlicht posted:

Ending talk, since people were asking "if I did X does y happen?"

I didn't save Kate (I should have though I am still salty I didn't go with my gut) and she showed up at Chloe's funeral.

It was an easy choice for me, in the end. Max spends the whole game trying to help people in the way that she can but ultimately HOW she wants to.. she doesn't really take anyone else's input because she's immune to people finding out. I killed Chloe in the alternate timeline and I killed her again... it felt wrong and selfish to say no to her. To keep saving someone that doesn't want to be saved, that doesn't want to go against their fate.

Well good to know that the endings are all static, so is it implied in the Chloe Ending that the Tornado is the end of it? like will Destiny still be pissed about time powers and an alive Chloe and continue destroying lives? Honestly saving Chloe just seems like the bad end to me, all those people dead just because you want to save your one friend which is why I went with her dying even if its a very predictable end, I wish the game had tried to have a theme more, it didn't really have a message of accepting your mistakes instead of wishing you could change the past

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Macaluso posted:

Haha what is this for real?

I really loved the nightmare/reality loving up sequence. The birds splattering on the window, the weird MGS-esque sequence, the walking through all the Chloe/Max memories. The game trolling you with the bottles. The giant squirrels made me :stare: a bit. In fact the whole sequence going through the dorm hallway multiple times was :psyduck:ing me up

Haha not as far as I know. I thought that stuff was cool too, really really bizarre though. i noticed one of the texts is dated 21/18 or 18/21 which isn't a real date, way to gently caress up the calendar, Max

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That sequence would have been a lot better for me if Max could shut up for ten seconds, things stop being creepy while she's there going, 'wow that's so creepy'. Though it did like the 'wtf I don't want to say any of those' meta bit.
It got better when she left the classroom though

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I like all of the ways the game used the UI to tell the story-- obviously the nightmare section had things like the impossible texts, altered journal entries, "kooL", posters looking different on the read screen than in the game world, etc., but even in the real world it did some interesting things by restricting which tab-menu screens you could access based on whether you had your phone, journal, etc. Hearing Jefferson gloat about burning your journal, frantically hitting tab, and then just seeing nothing but charred pages was really effective.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

BobTheJanitor posted:

On rethinking this a little bit, I'm somewhat disappointed that the ending choice is provided to you with no proof that it actually is a real choice. The characters just assume that Max absolutely HAS to be the cause of the tornado, and that going back and letting Chloe die just HAS to be the way to fix it. Like, we all sort of accepted it because we were all expecting that anyway, and yes, the ending proves that out. But how exactly did we know for sure, in that moment, that it was the case?

It irks me that the one thing we apparently know for sure about this unexplained time power is that using it at all causes a deathnado to smash your town. I think this is why the ending rang a bit hollow for me, because that final choice didn't really feel like it had the force of inevitability behind it.

And also, Max could totally have held on to that photo instead of ripping it up right then and there and made an informed decision later on. This is time travel after all, no decision has to be made right now.

Maybe go see how the town came through first? I live in tornado alley, and I've seen destruction like that. It's terrible, but it's not going to wipe out all life in its path. Most of those buildings were still standing. (Don't you even see the diner intact as you drive past?) If it isn't knocking buildings off their foundations then most people are going to be injured but not dead.

And if you do save Chloe, are the mysterious time gods still going to be after you? Drive on to the next town and another tornado blows that one up too? I don't even know how that's supposed to work.

Imagine four Chloes on the edge of a cliff. Time works the same way

Basically this, yes.

Did I do all that poo poo just to reset everything and maybe... stop the wicked photographer man? But wait, the episode really goes out of its way to show you how bad messing with time is, so the correct option is supposed to... go back in time again to "let" Chloe die? Does that mean we can't even use our knowledge about Jefferson? Or Kate? Because then we'd be back to using our time powers to save lives and oh poo poo. How is Chloe special in this case?
In other words: the "gently caress you Max"-ending

It's a kinda dumb "rule of nature" to pull out just because of stuff like this :shrug:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 20, 2015

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

Basically this, yes.

Did I do all that poo poo just to reset everything and maybe... stop the wicked photographer man? But wait, the episode really goes out of its way to show you how bad messing with time is, so the correct option is supposed to... go back in time again? Does that mean we can't even use our knowledge about Jefferson? Or Kate? Because then we'd be back to using our time powers to save lives and oh poo poo. How is Chloe special in this case?
In other words: the "gently caress you Max"-ending

It's a kinda dumb "rule of nature" to pull out just because of stuff like this :shrug:

I think the dead chloe ending implies that Nathan getting arrested solves all the problems, He rats out Jefferson, which means he's not around to bully Kate past the breaking point, so basically it all works out without needing powers and since Max is on autopilot she doesn't use any future knowledge

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The game is still not quite as crazy as Shadow of Memories on its best days.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The more I think about it, the more the ending felt rushed, like they suddenly discovered they HAD to get it out the door by a certain date and decided to drop all the other plot threads and just get the big one resolved as quickly as possible. Like, this is the ending someone comes up with when they have one night to finish it, not the product of a year or so of planning.

I also don't really like how much time in the episode was given to the crazy nightmare sequence. While it was an amusing spectacle, it ultimately seemed to have no place in the story. Is it just Max's subconscious giving her poo poo? Is it alternate timelines actually interfering with your time? Are all those evil flashlight versions of the characters actually a representation of reality, or just fevered brain droppings? Why did we see Chloe smooching everyone in the world? Is this some representation of Max's deep-seated love/jealousy, or what?

The game doesn't seem to want to tell us anything, it's just kind of throwing it all out there and saying 'ok, make up your own reasons!' which isn't exactly great writing. And if all of that was just mad rambling without meaning, then why dedicate so much of the episode to it, instead of spending some time on the other dozen or so characters that were built up into supposedly important people over the course of the last four episodes?

Basically, the more I think about it, the more this happens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpYEJx7PkWE

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

The more I think about it, the more the ending felt rushed, like they suddenly discovered they HAD to get it out the door by a certain date and decided to drop all the other plot threads and just get the big one resolved as quickly as possible. Like, this is the ending someone comes up with when they have one night to finish it, not the product of a year or so of planning.

It was pretty well-established, to the point where a lot of people predicted exactly how the final decision would go. There's a lot of evidence that led people to that conclusion months in advance, and if you wanna search LiS fan theory youtubes (do you really?) a few of them called the finale as far ahead as Episode 2.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Ekusukariba posted:

I think the dead chloe ending implies that Nathan getting arrested solves all the problems, He rats out Jefferson, which means he's not around to bully Kate past the breaking point, so basically it all works out without needing powers and since Max is on autopilot she doesn't use any future knowledge

I guess that kinda works, but it still leaves the main problem of the trope though. So still :smugwizard: "haha fuck you Max, the only winning move is not to play! Enjoy wondering for the rest of your life if maybe you could have done something different - that is, if you don't still have your powers and gotta hold back from even changing anything should it ever butterfly into a tornado because you accidentally saved a life down the line".

Not very satisfying for anyone, but the :smugwizard: of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abardam
Mar 1, 2015
My dream ep5 would have the Big Choice come up real early into the episode, forcing you to live with your decision for the rest of the ep. If you chose to save Chloe, you have to pick through the remains of the town and start a new life. If you chose to save the town, you have to investigate, on your own, the reason why the universe wants Chloe so dead.

• Locked thread