Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
In reality, he would have killed a dozen or so people before turning the gun on himself.

Look forward to that this Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

In reality, he would have killed a dozen or so people before turning the gun on himself.

Look forward to that this Christmas.

I tell you what, that Batman fucker ensured I will never go to some blockbuster film opening night. gently caress that.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Newswatch33 is satire. That's totally a believable story though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

evilweasel posted:

I think it's more she did not effectively use it to carve out a niche. She's a bad candidate but she didn't really flub anything that Republican voters care about, she just didn't make a case for why she's better than an alternative. She's running as a sort of mix between outsider and establishment but if you want either outsider there's Trump or Carson, if you want tea-party friendly establishment there's Rubio, if you want religious wingnut there's Carson, and if you want solid establishment and naps there's Jeb! There's not really any niche of voters Fiorina really targets well and so once she stopped getting attention then people went back to not caring. There isn't a group of voters who want an outsider candidate with establishment cred.

We're describing different parts of the same elephant, I think.

The absence of all other defining Conservative subcategory markers leaves her business experience as her main selling point and her record as CEO is unquestionably bad.

Carly pushed her clout as a tech executive and Trump shat all over it. She countered by trying to dismiss critiques of her management as partisan and "Clintonite" which got a sizable contingent of the business press against her and writing rebuttals that not only illustrated how badly HP did under her tenure but also contrasted its fortunes to the successes that companies like Apple and Google have had since the turn of the century.

I agree that she's failed to make a successful niche for herself and that her record probably wouldn't be too hard for the base to ignore in a general matchup against the great Democrat Satan but, like with Jeb! and 9/11, Trump has shown a remarkable talent for exposing long-time nude emperors to GOP voters.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!
Yeah, the Empire functioned efficiently because even the top-ranking humans meant poo poo all to Vader and Palpatine. This is pointed out when Vader kills one on the spot for questioning the power of the Force.

However, the intended cycle of succession would be for Luke to become Vader's apprentice and join him to kill Palpatine. Implicitly, I think Vader intended to seek out Sith immortality and break the cycle of master and apprentice. But that's not how the Dark Side works.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theblackw0lf posted:

Something I've been wondering about. In the 90s there was also a shutdown controversy, yet I don't remember the media playing a false-equivalence "both sides are responsible" narrative. I remember the responsibility being laid squarely on the republicans, and them paying for it politically.

So what's different between back then and now?

Unless I'm remembering things incorrectly.

I expect you're misremembering. But the Republicans started getting slammed when comments from Gingrich made it sound like he shut down the government over some disrespect on air force one like getting unloaded late or something stupid.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Hodgepodge posted:

Yeah, the Empire functioned efficiently because even the top-ranking humans meant poo poo all to Vader and Palpatine. This is pointed out when Vader kills one on the spot for questioning the power of the Force.

However, the intended cycle of succession would be for Luke to become Vader's apprentice and join him to kill Palpatine. Implicitly, I think Vader intended to seek out Sith immortality and break the cycle of master and apprentice. But that's not how the Dark Side works.

Actually the guy who questions the power of the force Vader behind choking to prove a point but is told to cut it out by Peter Cushing and immediately does so. I think he was actually outranked by Cushing's character.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

McDowell posted:

Bill Kristol is a coward who would never openly endorse a Tarkin Doctrine of foreign policy.

The Sith are only able to function as a single master/apprentice unit - multiple masters destroy each other.

I'm thinking of the Sith Empire stuff we see in the Old Republic games.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

greatn posted:

Actually the guy who questions the power of the force Vader behind choking to prove a point but is told to cut it out by Peter Cushing and immediately does so. I think he was actually outranked by Cushing's character.

Making Vader a millennial, reluctant yet obligated.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

evilweasel posted:

I expect you're misremembering. But the Republicans started getting slammed when comments from Gingrich made it sound like he shut down the government over some disrespect on air force one like getting unloaded late or something stupid.
Specifically, it was that he was forced to sit at the back of the plane. The media made that the narrative and all of a sudden the Republicans didn't look so responsible anymore.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

MariusLecter posted:

Also apparently sourced from a Onion ripoff site. Trying to find more info just gets me a story of a guy who killed his wife over Star Wars toys. :v:

Oh no, Bluestory!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

I'd no poo poo like to do a D&D coverage of Sith ideology, the structure and operation of galactic politics, the Jedi Order as a necessity, obscure stuff from the old WEG sourcebooks and what it tells us about how the galaxy operated, etc. like the old LF Star Trek thread but for Star Wars.

I really really really want this thread as well

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

greatn posted:

I more got the feeling that Vader was humoring Tarkin by releasing the officer he was force-throttling in that scene, not that he really considered himself under the strict Imperial chain of command.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Depends on whether or not Paul Ryan agrees to fall on his sword.

If only there were a sword of the Senate

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

The films even start to set this up.

in Star Wars, we have Darth Vader, a very powerful dude, working for Grand Moff Tarkin, who bosses him around and is the brains behind the whole operation. It would be totally easy to see how Star Wars 2 would feature Vader as the main bad guy, and some new agent who would take over once Vader bites it at the end of that film. This didn't happen, obviously, but it could have.

For more on how that could have gone, check out: https://lanceparkin.wordpress.com/2013/02/12/star-wars-2/

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Which starwars character is Jeb!?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Humans Among Us posted:

C3PO. Stiff, verbally sounds like a robot, and it's really hard to get excited over that character.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Humans Among Us posted:

He's that huge Star Destroyer that crashes into the second Death Star at the end of ROTJ.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

seiferguy posted:

C3PO. Stiff, verbally sounds like a robot, and it's really hard to get excited over that character.

And coincidentally had ties to one of the greatest political disasters in recent memory yet when asked has no knowledge of it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I more got the feeling that Vader was humoring Tarkin by releasing the officer he was force-throttling in that scene, not that he really considered himself under the strict Imperial chain of command.

Leia also seemed to be under the impression that Tarkin was higher up the food chain than Vader, I assume she's pretty informed about the Empire's structure.

Vader may have been the Emperor's sith apprentice, but his talents really lie more in knocking heads and making people crap themselves than executing the complicated, intricate tasks needed to maintain a galactic empire.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Leia also seemed to be under the impression that Tarkin was higher up the food chain than Vader, I assume she's pretty informed about the Empire's structure.

Vader may have been the Emperor's sith apprentice, but his talents really lie more in knocking heads and making people crap themselves than executing the complicated, intricate tasks needed to maintain a galactic empire.

Probably why the thing poo poo the bed so quickly when the Generals were taken out of planning and subjugated to an authoritarian theocracy.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Humans Among Us posted:

Darth Grevious. Part robot, all incompetent lackey that seemed impressive and a threat to be reckoned with at first, but keeps loving up the simplest of tasks despite having enormous resources at his disposal and is now considered a sad joke.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fried Chicken posted:

I'd no poo poo like to do a D&D coverage of Sith ideology, the structure and operation of galactic politics, the Jedi Order as a necessity, obscure stuff from the old WEG sourcebooks and what it tells us about how the galaxy operated, etc. like the old LF Star Trek thread but for Star Wars.

http://www.tor.com/2012/09/12/the-qtrue-nature-of-the-force-is-way-more-complicated-than-you-think/

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

McCloud posted:

Darth Grevious. Mostly robotic, all incompetent lackey that seemed impressive and a threat to be reckoned with at first, but keeps loving up the simplest of tasks despite having enormous resources at his disposal and is now considered a sad joke.

That was Romney.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

Please make this happen.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

This is what I wanted out of star wars. The war part. I dunno about anyone else, but I dug more on the star destroyers and the x-wings than light sabers. Star wars is about war. The jedi were just badass soldiers. At some point in exploring their powers they became superheroes instead of just badass soldiers and because of that the movies are superhero movies instead of war movies. I want a war movie, not a superhero movie where the hero bats back a hundred blaster shots because of *reasons.*

Give me the guns of navarrone in space, not spiderman.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Just gonna take this to it's logical conclusion:

Donald Trump - Jabba the Hutt (successful businessman of the galaxy)
Ben Carson - Bib Fortuna (tries to be like Jabba but will ultimately only be only 2nd to him, also has a really weird voice)
Carly Fiornia - IG88 (makes a cool appearance in Shadows of the Empire but then is doomed to irrelevance forever)
Ted Cruz - Nien Nunb (they kind of look like each other)
Mike Huckabee - Darth Malak (believes in the dark sideconservatism the most, will ultimately be struck down by a younger, more experienced candidate)
Rand Paul - Lobot (believes in the gold standardthe cloud gas standard, does nothing else to distinguish himself)
Rick Santorum - Greedo (ultimately irrelevant, but jokes made against him will stick with our memories for a lifetime)

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Ron Jeremy posted:

This is what I wanted out of star wars. The war part. I dunno about anyone else, but I dug more on the star destroyers and the x-wings than light sabers. Star wars is about war. The jedi were just badass soldiers. At some point in exploring their powers they became superheroes instead of just badass soldiers and because of that the movies are superhero movies instead of war movies. I want a war movie, not a superhero movie where the hero bats back a hundred blaster shots because of *reasons.*

The original trilogy did this pretty well I thought: Luke was often capable of shifting the tide of a battle, but he was far from invincible and taking out that AT-AT at Hoth didn't stop the Empire from routing the Rebel forces. He was really just a special forces guy, taking part in tactically vital missions while the main army did most of the fighting.

Of course Phantom Menace tried to do the war thing in a similar way to the originals but Lucas hosed up the pacing so badly it was a trainwreck.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

McCloud posted:

Darth Grevious. Part robot, all incompetent lackey that seemed impressive and a threat to be reckoned with at first, but keeps loving up the simplest of tasks despite having enormous resources at his disposal and is now considered a sad joke.

Hey.

The miniseries on Toonami had Grevious being awesome till the he got his chest forced-crushed by Windu. Jeb! and Mittens have never been awesome.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Ron Jeremy posted:

If the first Star Wars movie was made today, it would start with Darth Vader boarding the rebel ship and taking it over by entirely himself. The fight between Vader and Obi-wan would be 20 minutes of flipping and twirling. It would end with Luke destroying the Death Star with his light saber, somehow.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Bar Crow posted:

If the first Star Wars movie was made today, it would start with Darth Vader boarding the rebel ship and taking it over by entirely himself. The fight between Vader and Obi-wan would be 20 minutes of flipping and twirling. It would end with Luke destroying the Death Star with his light saber, somehow.

He'd stand where the Death Star's ray is gonna hit, then redirect it with the light saber back into the Death Star, destroying it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PhazonLink posted:

Hey.

The miniseries on Toonami had Grevious being awesome till the he got his chest forced-crushed by Windu. Jeb! and Mittens have never been awesome.

That miniseries is better than all the prequels combined, and a successful marriage of superhero jedis to war-movie milieu, and Tartakovsky is a goddamn genius.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

seiferguy posted:

Just gonna take this to it's logical conclusion:

Donald Trump - Jabba the Hutt (successful businessman of the galaxy)
Ben Carson - Bib Fortuna (tries to be like Jabba but will ultimately only be only 2nd to him, also has a really weird voice)
Carly Fiornia - IG88 (makes a cool appearance in Shadows of the Empire but then is doomed to irrelevance forever)
Ted Cruz - Nien Nunb (they kind of look like each other)
Mike Huckabee - Darth Malak (believes in the dark sideconservatism the most, will ultimately be struck down by a younger, more experienced candidate)
Rand Paul - Lobot (believes in the gold standardthe cloud gas standard, does nothing else to distinguish himself)
Rick Santorum - Greedo (ultimately irrelevant, but jokes made against him will stick with our memories for a lifetime)

Is Bernie Yoda?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Is Bernie Yoda?

Has been around forever but never fully disappears, advocates pragmatism over ethically "good" policies and taking action only after carefully calculating the risks, I'd say that's more Hillary.

Advocates drastically expanding the role of government and has an enthusiastic support base? I'd say that's more Palpatine :bernin:

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Bar Crow posted:

Also there would be accusations that Alderaan was a false flag attack. Did the Empire ever publicize the Death Star's attack? Could a space station really blow up a planet? All we've seen is the Death Star blow up capital ships.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Gravel Gravy posted:

Has been around forever but never fully disappears, advocates pragmatism over ethically "good" policies and taking action only after carefully calculating the risks, I'd say that's more Hillary.

Advocates drastically expanding the role of government and has an enthusiastic support base? I'd say that's more Palpatine :bernin:

Plus Bernie speaks only in absolutes - "If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist" - uses death star on BofA

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

Hey.

The second clone wars series took their cue from the movie and turned him into an inept saturday morning cartoon villain. Which is too bad because the grevious in the miniseries was a god drat force of nature.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Someone make a gif of that poor bastard in the A-wing who crashes into the super star destroyer, but put Trump's head on him, while replace Admiral Piett with Rince Priebus and have him yell "Intesify the attack ads!".

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Boehner is having problems even coming up with 30 votes for a clean debt ceiling vote now. http://thehill.com/policy/finance/257393-gop-votes-scarce-on-debt-ceiling-hike

What happens when the GOP extremists completely take over the house? There's going to be at minimum a 2 year period where no budgets and no debt ceilings will get passed, unless the Democratic president/congress capitulate.

Similar thing happened in Pennsylvania, the GOP held everything hostage long enough that everyone started blaming the Democratic governor for not "just giving in and ending the misery of the citizens".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If that happens then the world will literally fall into economic despair

• Locked thread