Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Dominoes posted:

What do the profiles do?

They just seem to set the resolution for the conversion as far as I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Torabi posted:

I tried using calibre to convert a pdf file. I know converting pdf files isn't the best idea but one problem is that I can't seem to find a profile for my kindle paperwhite. There are only profiles for the older ones with lower resolution.

Edit:

Or actually it is called the Paperwhite 3 apparently in the profile list but the resolution seems wrong.

Since the new Paperwhite and the current Voyage have the same screen and otherwise display capabilities, use the Voyage profile.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Any news on the rumored Voyage refresh? Tomorrow the 21st marks a year since the OG Voyage was released. Supposedly it has a new eink "Regal" screen, which may be worth waiting for.

Internet tells me it will carry the same $199 Voyage price, which is a premium of course vs the PW but a far cry from the original Kindle $500 price...(I still have mine).

Applying my $73 trade-in credit to a new Voyage makes since, providing it lands at some point this year.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

B&N has released a new reader out of nowhere.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/21/barnes-and-noble-nook-glowlight-plus/

Nook glowlight plus. Waterproof and dustproof aluminum body. 300dpi screen so it should be using the same display as the Voyage. $130.

Too little too late for me, but it's interesting that they are still making a stab at it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

B&N has released a new reader out of nowhere.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/21/barnes-and-noble-nook-glowlight-plus/

Nook glowlight plus. Waterproof and dustproof aluminum body. 300dpi screen so it should be using the same display as the Voyage. $130.

Too little too late for me, but it's interesting that they are still making a stab at it.

Huh. This seems almost perfect for my hiking ereader...

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I like that price. Given the way Nook products have performed historically, it ought to be half that in six months. :getin:

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

I dont have a girlfriend anymore and I want to buy a kindle. How much will I regret cheaping and not getting the paperwhite?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Slightly Toasted posted:

I dont have a girlfriend anymore and I want to buy a kindle. How much will I regret cheaping and not getting the paperwhite?

Probably quite a bit. Going from my old Kindle to a Paperwhite 1 was totally worth it. See if you can grab one on special.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Slightly Toasted posted:

You really want a frontlit eReader. It makes nighttime reading pleasurable, it makes the text more crisp and paperlike even in daylight, and overall, it is the tech that brought eReaders from a novelty to a necessity, at least for me.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
How easy/difficult is it to replace a broken screen on a K3 Keyboard? I've looked at a few tutorials and it seems relatively easy.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Thanks! Went for it :iamafag:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Circle Nine posted:

How easy/difficult is it to replace a broken screen on a K3 Keyboard? I've looked at a few tutorials and it seems relatively easy.

When I looked into it, the price difference between a new screen and a perfectly good second-hand Kindle Keyboard from eBay was so small that it wasn't worth the effort.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

Tiggum posted:

When I looked into it, the price difference between a new screen and a perfectly good second-hand Kindle Keyboard from eBay was so small that it wasn't worth the effort.

It's one with 3G which seems to bump the price up quite a bit.

I have a birthday coming up and I'm getting a paperwhite as a replacement/for accepting that touchscreens on ereaders are here to stay. But like partly just as a thing to do and partly because it's always nice to have backups, I kinda want to give fixing it a shot.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
For what it's worth I really like how the page turn buttons work on the Voyage.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
It's totally possible that this has been covered here recently but I haven't been in this thread in quite a while. What are some good sites to buy ebooks these days, other than Amazon? I'm trying to find a specific set/line of books (Standard Catalogs of various cars) and although I found the company that appears to publish at least some of them, they don't seem to sell the directly and Amazon doesn't have all the ones in looking for.

So, my bad if this is a topic that was covered recently but I'm at work and didn't have time to read through 100+ new posts, although I did find that not all the links in the OP worked when I tried clicking on them.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Has anyone ever come across an issue on the Paperwhite (2) where the text of a book has less contrast than usual? It's happened twice before, I think. I did all kinds of messing around in Calibre (where they appear fine) but nothing fixed it, so I wrote it off as a quirk on the files I was side-loading. It's just happened again on my amazon.co.uk bought copy of Luna, though. Changing font doesn't make a difference :shrug:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Junkenstein posted:

Has anyone ever come across an issue on the Paperwhite (2) where the text of a book has less contrast than usual? It's happened twice before, I think. I did all kinds of messing around in Calibre (where they appear fine) but nothing fixed it, so I wrote it off as a quirk on the files I was side-loading. It's just happened again on my amazon.co.uk bought copy of Luna, though. Changing font doesn't make a difference :shrug:

Some books are set to display text in other colors, and on the black and white screen that ends up being various shades of gray. That may be your issue. Calibre doesn't always display the text as the correct color either.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Some books are set to display text in other colors, and on the black and white screen that ends up being various shades of gray. That may be your issue. Calibre doesn't always display the text as the correct color either.

This is usually the case I find. You can convert individually within Calibre and strip the colour information out.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
GoodEReader.com is crowdfunding an open eReader that matches Kindle Voyage/Kobo Glo HD specs: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-ultimate-e-reader/x/8208672#/

Essentially it's running Android with a custom app store, and support for the popular reading apps on Android, including Kobo and Amazon's stores...

$189 US though...

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Heners_UK posted:

GoodEReader.com is crowdfunding an open eReader that matches Kindle Voyage/Kobo Glo HD specs: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-ultimate-e-reader/x/8208672#/

Essentially it's running Android with a custom app store, and support for the popular reading apps on Android, including Kobo and Amazon's stores...

$189 US though...

That sounds cool, but I've been burned with kickstarter-type projects due to the crazy amount of time they're taking. Two projects that I've recently given money to are still in development with no end in sight.

I'll wait until an actual release, otherwise my first-gen Paperwhite is doing a fantastic job.

EDIT: Another note, I'm only interested in reading books, not apps or anything more complex than my initial interest. So yeah ...

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
This reader already has those specs and already exists, and it runs Android:

Onyx Boox T68 Lynx

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

The writing on that fund-raising page is vulgar: Exaggerated descriptors and weasel-words throughout, and an emphasis on putting down existing devices.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 28, 2015

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Good-e-reader (or however that guy stylizes it these days) has always struck me as being terrible. Lots of passing off rumor as ~inside information~ and jumping to insane conclusions.

Here's one: http://goodereader.com/blog/electronic-readers/the-amazon-kindle-voyage-is-a-flop

"More expensive model aimed at upper-end market sells fewer units than entry level unit. Luxury unit flop please buy my crowd thing thanks!"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Heners_UK posted:

$189 US though...

The biggest red flag is that it's an Indiegogo project with flexible funding, so they take your cash immediately, and don't have to return it if they don't make their goal.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

The biggest red flag is that it's an Indiegogo project with flexible funding, so they take your cash immediately, and don't have to return it if they don't make their goal.

I saw that and went the other way. I like the idea but I don't like that a $209 eReader barely makes a splash... a non-refundable splash.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

If they added physical page turn buttons (I know, but I still like them), I would possibly consider buying this after it releases at a competitive price and gets a year of updates.

So, yeah, I'm never going to get what I want.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

My Man Shran posted:

If they added physical page turn buttons (I know, but I still like them), I would possibly consider buying this after it releases at a competitive price and gets a year of updates.

So, yeah, I'm never going to get what I want.

The Onyx T68 has physical buttons and the latest generation of e-ink, along with everything else a modern eReader needs. It's not cheap, but it has everything.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

The Onyx T68 has physical buttons and the latest generation of e-ink, along with everything else a modern eReader needs. It's not cheap, but it has everything.

It's also hard to actually obtain...

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Heners_UK posted:

It's also hard to actually obtain...

Huh? http://alexnld.com/product/onyx-boo...OsOgaAgen8P8HAQ

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Only 250 dollars? Yeah why don't these sell more?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Jesus. Why would I buy someone's maybe reader when I can have one of several really good readers on my doorstep with next day delivery for half the price? That's not even accounting for Amazon's incredible customer service.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
It seems Icarus reader is going for Indigogo, but with an Eight inch reader: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/illumina-xl-8-inch-android-e-reader#/

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Heners_UK posted:

It seems Icarus reader is going for Indigogo, but with an Eight inch reader: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/illumina-xl-8-inch-android-e-reader#/

That looks a lot more compelling than the other IndieGoGo reader posted, but I'm not comfortable paying money to a flexible funding campaign that may or may not actually ever exist.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Heners_UK posted:

I'd buy that.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
The more and more research I do into eInk Android devices that allow .APK installation (without extraordinary hoop jumping, I know the Nook Simple Touch might be an option here), the more I'm kind of wondering if I should just:

a) Get a Kobo - Has Pocket (http://getpocket.com) and Overdrive support for Canadian Library book borrowing

b) Get a Kindle - Better market, but Pocket support only through Calibre and Canadian Library Book lending at best not easy (not directly supported by Overdrive

c) Wait a while and hope the market changes <-- not holding my breath

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Heners_UK posted:

The more and more research I do into eInk Android devices that allow .APK installation (without extraordinary hoop jumping, I know the Nook Simple Touch might be an option here), the more I'm kind of wondering if I should just:

a) Get a Kobo - Has Pocket (http://getpocket.com) and Overdrive support for Canadian Library book borrowing

b) Get a Kindle - Better market, but Pocket support only through Calibre and Canadian Library Book lending at best not easy (not directly supported by Overdrive

c) Wait a while and hope the market changes <-- not holding my breath

Calibre with an add on can strip the DRM from Kindle, Overdrive, Kobo and other DRM'd books so the only thing about buying books from the device store is ease of use or cross platform support. If you only ever read on one device and don't mind 30 seconds extra you can use any store.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Paperwhite is $30 off for prime members today. Go get it!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

SB35 posted:

Paperwhite is $30 off for prime members today. Go get it!

Yes but you see I have a list here of esoteric reasons I can't use the Kindle because... :goonsay:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Yes but you see I have a list here of esoteric reasons I can't use the Kindle because... :goonsay:

Look, if I cant manage my library while changing pages with a button, and all the while have it in a plastic baggie while I read in the bath it's not a good fit, ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
I am in a bad need of an actual e-reader, what is the major differences between the paperwhite and the voyage besides the price?