Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Is it about ethics in game development?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

If it's legitimate development, the publishing body has a way of shutting it down.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sam Faust posted:

If it's legitimate development, the publishing body has a way of shutting it down.

I just want to point out how well crafted this joke is.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sam Faust posted:

:golfclap:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

bloodychill posted:

I hope ME4 is good. For all the flaws the series has, the developers managed to build a very interesting universe and from a gameplay standpoint, combat got better with each iteration.

I'm just not placing any bets when we haven't seen a ton yet.

There's talk about retconning the ME3 ending like it's a bad thing? People are stupid.

Joe Gillian posted:

Yep. The trailer had some space western vibe, so I hope they really lay into that more.

Actually it'd be a pretty good retcon to go with the Indoctrination Theory, and ME4 opens with how Shepard almost hosed everyone and all of his choices were bad ones. Even with the Reapers taken down a notch, the galaxy could be in piss-poor shape with half the relays destroyed or something. There's lots of room for 'Yeah, we won, but we're having a poo poo time afterward.' even without changing much.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i prefer the reverse indoctrination theory that was floating around before ME3 came out

which is that shepard was rebuilt with reverse-engineered reaper tech and was unknowingly and unintentionally indoctrinating people to agree with her the whole time

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would like it if the new Mass Effect game has some little easter egg you can find where it's revealed that the Reapers are only a problem in that one tiny corner of the universe

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Instant Sunrise posted:

i prefer the reverse indoctrination theory that was floating around before ME3 came out

which is that shepard was rebuilt with reverse-engineered reaper tech and was unknowingly and unintentionally indoctrinating people to agree with her the whole time

We can use this!

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Sam Faust posted:

:chanpop: lmbo

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

precision posted:

I would like it if the new Mass Effect game has some little easter egg you can find where it's revealed that the Reapers are only a problem in that one tiny corner of the universe

It turns out that organic and inorganic beings can totally get along all the times and the reapers were just a bunch of insufferable assholes!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Reapers are proof we can all get along though. We just have to be melted down into a slurry and shoved into a metal squid first.

Or something like that. Gosh that series got silly by the end didn't it?

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The overarching ME plot is retarded anyway so who really cares honestly.

It should just be about Wrex, Renegade actions only.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm imagining a noire style game where you play as a krogan detective on Tuchanka, only every case ends with you body slamming the perp.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sam Faust posted:

god drat...

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

I'm imagining a noire style game where you play as a krogan detective on Tuchanka, only every case ends with you headbutting the perp.

Ftfy. Personally I would be happy with nothing but Geth and Krogans, the only cool or interesting races in the games.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
MUGEN fanpacks are now getting commercial releases? Well more characters for saltybet either way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQJmR37s454

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Nasgate posted:

Ftfy. Personally I would be happy with nothing but Volus and Elcor, the only cool or interesting races in the games.

ftfy

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bioware please release the Elcor Hamlet DLC

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXPeWhhPe_0

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Cardboard Box A posted:

MUGEN fanpacks are now getting commercial releases? Well more characters for saltybet either way.

Is that what those were? It looked like either that or some lovely forgotten Neo-Geo fighter that only 3 people ever heard of.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Only slightly worse than Star Citizen.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

raditts posted:

Is that what those were? It looked like either that or some lovely forgotten Neo-Geo fighter that only 3 people ever heard of.
NeoGeo fighters had better art though

Paladinus posted:

Only slightly worse than Star Citizen.
Well it's more complete than Star Marine, that's for sure. But it doesn't matter because Star Citizen is not on steam.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Reapers are proof we can all get along though. We just have to be melted down into a slurry and shoved into a metal squid first.

Or something like that. Gosh that series got silly by the end didn't it?

I thought the Geth vs quarians (that was their name right? The space nomad dudes) was supposed to be a very strong message that organic and inorganics actually could get along and was totally confused when the game made it clear later that reapers and humans could never get along for the same reason

Then the ending happened and lol

It may have been silly but drat if I'm not gonna buy and play that game, I'm not going to preorder or buy it day 1 though because I'm not an idiot

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The origins of the Reapers was hidden in a piece of post-release DLC, and since most people dropped ME3 after beating it they never found out that the giant space squids were made by actual giant squids and that exterminating all sentient space-faring life every 50,000 years was an aberration in their programming rather than a sweeping value judgement on the ability of organics and synthetics to get along

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 21, 2015

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Cardboard Box A posted:

A couple more anime based 2D fighters have been released the last couple of years although they are usually Japan only. Unless you are a massive weeaboo you aren't really missing out IMO. Apparently they are relatively cheap to make and the otaku crowd loves them 2D fighters.

EDIT: I don't mean the super popular shonen fighters (DBZ, Naruto etc), those are actually good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sleeveless posted:

The origins of the Reapers was hidden in a piece of post-release DLC, and since most people dropped ME3 after beating it they never found out that the giant space squids were made by actual giant squids and that exterminating all sentient space-faring life every 50,000 years was an aberration in their programming rather than a sweeping value judgement on the ability of organics and synthetics to get along

The Reapers worked better when they weren't explained at all.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

Oh haha that clears a lot up, guess I should have played that dlc

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Prop Wash posted:

Oh haha that clears a lot up, guess I should have played that dlc

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Leviathan

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTNi7SPnNA

Ekster posted:

A couple more anime based 2D fighters have been released the last couple of years although they are usually Japan only. Unless you are a massive weeaboo you aren't really missing out IMO. Apparently they are relatively cheap to make and the otaku crowd loves them 2D fighters.

EDIT: I don't mean the super popular shonen fighters (DBZ, Naruto etc), those are actually good.
Yeah there was that last anime fighting game with a really hilariously ridiculous name... what was it... ah here it is... Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiIGgbs030k

Wait are any of the Dragonball/Naruto games any good? I heard Xenoverse is ok... but the Naruto games on steam seem to have gotten a rather mixed reception.

Though I see what you mean in that the Dragonballs and Narutos and One Pieces can get medium budget 3D fighting games and Dynasty Warriors clones made whereas these other anime fighters are basically MUGEN ports with anime fanart drawn by flash artists and appear to have a combined budget lower than Skullgirls.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I'm going to buy Nitroplus Blasterz and Dengeki Bunko some day.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
girls can be gamers but gamers can't be girl gamers, your vagina has nothing to do with playing video games and has nothing to do with you being a gamer, if you call yourself a "girl gamer" instead of a gamer then you are most likely after extra privileges for being a girl like free gear, getting carried etc and as such you deserve to be ridiculed. If you use your gender in-game to achieve a positive reaction for yourself then you have to take the negative with the positive.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Broseph Brostar posted:

girls can be gamers but gamers can't be girl gamers, your vagina has nothing to do with playing video games and has nothing to do with you being a gamer, if you call yourself a "girl gamer" instead of a gamer then you are most likely after extra privileges for being a girl like free gear, getting carried etc and as such you deserve to be ridiculed. If you use your gender in-game to achieve a positive reaction for yourself then you have to take the negative with the positive.

Really interesting stuff

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cool pumpkin

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Broseph Brostar posted:

hmm yes fascinating

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Thanks for saying I have a cool pumkin.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Broseph Brostar posted:

good point

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

games

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

yea, that seems about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon