Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Canada actually has live 4k sports starting in January, but over the internet instead of TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Right, but aren't we approaching the point where 4k is all that is available?

As a sample data point, on the CostCo site for TVs 51 inches and up, they list seven 780 sets, and nineteen 4k sets.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Aphrodite posted:

Canada actually has live 4k sports starting in January, but over the internet instead of TV.

It's actually going to be both via Internet and on cable through set-top boxes but not OTA as far as I know.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Costco also attracts are more affluent buyer

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Just had to buy an emergency laptop for a coworker at Best buy and I got to see the curved LG in person. Holy poo poo the picture on that thing is beautiful.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Squashy Nipples posted:

Right, but aren't we approaching the point where 4k is all that is available?

As a sample data point, on the CostCo site for TVs 51 inches and up, they list seven 780 sets, and nineteen 4k sets.

It may be available, but the content is the issue. The bandwidth isn't there for streaming yet (and won't be for a long drat time, in the U.S. at least) and the equipment is hardly there either.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

In the market for a new TV, having to downsize from a projector. Would love to spring for one of the new OLED TVs but 55 inches is just too small and 65 inches is just too expensive. :argh:

Also, a 1 year warranty on a $5,000 TV? Come the gently caress on.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Is there previous history of a TV having a longer than 1 year warranty (2 years if you buy with a credit card with free warranty extension)? Did the Kuros?

I do think you can tack on a square trade warranty for less, and even the LG extended warranty is ~7% of the total cost of the set.

Thankfully the price of that TV is dropping like a rock right now.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

In the market for a new TV, having to downsize from a projector. Would love to spring for one of the new OLED TVs but 55 inches is just too small and 65 inches is just too expensive. :argh:

Also, a 1 year warranty on a $5,000 TV? Come the gently caress on.

Costco extends the manufacturer warranty to two years.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

SquareTrade warranties via Amazon aren't too expensive and I've heard good things.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there no equivalent to the consume law protection we get in the EU? It's not widely known, but we get 6 years cover on anything that should be expected to last that long although it can be a fight. I know California specifically has some awesome consumer laws when it comes to vintage hardware but it's a shame it has to go down to state level for that.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

We're getting to the point that 1080p is getting relegated to the bargain models and if you want anything big or with a quality picture it will probably be 4K anyway.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is there no equivalent to the consume law protection we get in the EU? It's not widely known, but we get 6 years cover on anything that should be expected to last that long although it can be a fight. I know California specifically has some awesome consumer laws when it comes to vintage hardware but it's a shame it has to go down to state level for that.

LOL, no.

I bought my plasma at CostCo, but because it was 2 years and 3 months ago, I get nothing. Zilch.
Oh, and the repair guy told me that it would be $800-900 to replace the panel.

qirex posted:

We're getting to the point that 1080p is getting relegated to the bargain models and if you want anything big or with a quality picture it will probably be 4K anyway.

Thank you, this was my exact point. The lack of content is sort of meaningless if that's all you can buy.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

qirex posted:

Which just means some stellar deals are to be had in the next year or two.

I hope.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

qirex posted:

Exactly.

BonoMan posted:

Which just means some stellar deals are to be had in the next year or two.

No, it means that the best 1080p picture will be on a 4k set.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

sellouts posted:

No, it means that the best 1080p picture will be on a 4k set.

Yup, same happened with the Panasonic plasmas - the VT range had the selling point of being 3D panels, but the 2D picture beat everything below it too.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

sellouts posted:

Is there previous history of a TV having a longer than 1 year warranty (2 years if you buy with a credit card with free warranty extension)? Did the Kuros?

This goes back more than a few years, but in the US market, Curtis Mathes TV's had a 4-year warranty on parts and labor. But they were usually pretty drat expensive to begin with.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

LOL, no.

I bought my plasma at CostCo, but because it was 2 years and 3 months ago, I get nothing. Zilch.
Oh, and the repair guy told me that it would be $800-900 to replace the panel.

Good news! Because I bought my TV on my AmEx, I'm covered!!!

CostCo offers and additional year, and AmEx offers and additional year, so they stack. All i have to do is dig up the original receipt, and AmEx will repair or replace my set. Happy ending!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Number_6 posted:

This goes back more than a few years, but in the US market, Curtis Mathes TV's had a 4-year warranty on parts and labor. But they were usually pretty drat expensive to begin with.

So the answer is pretty much no, then?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Reliability is the main reason I'm probably going to just go with a 1080p LCD instead if springing for something better, I've had good luck with my electronics but they seem to be getting worse in the build quality department.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Saw some LG 4k OLED sets in a Best Buy Magnolia store. Jesus Christ the picture quality. :stare:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's no joke. When they fix the yellow banding on the 65" flat model I am in.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Yesterday my TV (Samsung F7100) spontaneously developed a top-to-bottom line of stuck pixels after ~2.5 years (which is around the same amount of time my last TV lasted before making GBS threads itself... I have bad luck apparently) so I've been looking at replacements. The thing that bugged me the most about my current TV is that it has a fair amount of motion blur, which is really irritating in games with fast movement. Turning on interpolation clears the picture up immensely, but at a huge cost to input lag.

So I was specifically looking at TVs with low motion blur, and rtings has wonderful things to say about the Samsung J6200 - the lowest amount of blur they'd ever seen from an LCD. Its input lag is passable (~44ms, about the same as my old one at ~40ms), but remarkably with interpolation on it only adds < 15ms. May not be ideal for things like shooters, but for RPGs and the like that should be fantastic. On top of that, the price on the 55" dropped $50 overnight basically everywhere, so it's under $700.

I ended up ordering one. Does anyone have any experience with this model? Probably should have asked first, but it doesn't ship until tomorrow anyway so there's always time to cancel.

(I also considered that LG OLED, which is ridiculously gorgeous, but reportedly has some blur issues and a few other kinks that need to be worked out (discoloration, banding, image retention))

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'm currently in the process of remodeling a part of my parents house to be a little bit more modern.

The layout looks like this:

code:
/_________________\
| <-   12ft  -> @ |
|#                |
|#   ^           @|
|     \  9ft     @|
  in   \         @|
 ->        @ @ @  |
__________________/
## = Future TV
@ = Seats
Where the "left" wall is the only interior wall and the rest of the room is outward facing with the classic style double windows. The wall itself has 86" of white space on the and then a wide entryway leading from an open part of the house. They want nothing smaller then a 55" and 70" is the biggest that I think the wall will be visibly pleasant fitting. Luckily even during the day the room faces west and the slightest curtains make it fairly dim for good TV clarity.

Two couches and a chair for seating, Closest is about 9ft eyes to TV and furthest is 12ft. Because of the angle of the room I'd like to find a mount that is still fairly low profile but gets ~30 degrees of pan. All the articulating mounts I've found seem to be overkill, but the ease of access to the cabling is a point in their favor.

So, My question:

at 10ft away how much of a difference does 4k vs 1080p make? LED 4k vs OLED 4k for the contrast levels in a room where its rarely theater dark? I can't really see the benefit of curved or 3D, even if the TV were for myself. But everything i'm finding is a 3D smart TV or a 3D curved Smart TV.

I was looking at something like an LG 65UF9500, which seems pretty good.

And question 2:

The AV jacks, behind the TV I plan on having 1 ea HDMI, RCA, USB, RJ45, and Coax (In case you wanted to run Coax strait to the TV in the future), and maybe a display port. Closer to floor level I was going to put those ports, one additional Coax from the cable splitter in the basement, plus the 4 jacks for rear speakers, since i'm running speaker cable to the back walls when I run the new overhead lighting. With the plan being to have the bluray player, cable box, and an AV receiver there. Am I forgetting something? I plan on using the dual banana jack/screw posts for the audio cable to the future rear speakers. I'd have run a SuperMHL jack and cable the 4 feet just for shits if you could even buy them since I'm running it all through the wall anyway. Since they plan on selling the house in 5 years I wanted to run the cables cleanly for the ease of them and the future owner.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 11, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Yesterday my TV (Samsung F7100) spontaneously developed a top-to-bottom line of stuck pixels after ~2.5 years (which is around the same amount of time my last TV lasted before making GBS threads itself... I have bad luck apparently) so I've been looking at replacements. The thing that bugged me the most about my current TV is that it has a fair amount of motion blur, which is really irritating in games with fast movement. Turning on interpolation clears the picture up immensely, but at a huge cost to input lag.

So I was specifically looking at TVs with low motion blur, and rtings has wonderful things to say about the Samsung J6200 - the lowest amount of blur they'd ever seen from an LCD. Its input lag is passable (~44ms, about the same as my old one at ~40ms), but remarkably with interpolation on it only adds < 15ms. May not be ideal for things like shooters, but for RPGs and the like that should be fantastic. On top of that, the price on the 55" dropped $50 overnight basically everywhere, so it's under $700.

I ended up ordering one. Does anyone have any experience with this model? Probably should have asked first, but it doesn't ship until tomorrow anyway so there's always time to cancel.

(I also considered that LG OLED, which is ridiculously gorgeous, but reportedly has some blur issues and a few other kinks that need to be worked out (discoloration, banding, image retention))

I think the 6200 is 60hz native if proper 24p playback is important to you.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dr. Eldarion posted:

That's quite a big divide in budget. The cheapest OLED is over 2x what you paid.

Discoloration (yellow band top to bottom on right of screen) is only on the 65", the 55" have generally been fine. Image Retention is also not widely reported. The vignetting on the sides can be an issue. The 55" seems to have generally less problems though. But the cheapest ones are curved which a lot of people don't like, although the curve isn't as severe as Samsung.

All of that being said, I would probably consider a Sony 55" 800B? I'm not convinced that it's worth an additional 3-400 that you paid but I do like Sony's motion handling. Edit: never mind, the W800C is ~800 on Amazon, so a lot closer.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 11, 2015

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

According to rtings at least, the 6200 is 120hz.

I'm definitely willing to pay more for something amazing, but I'd want it to be worth the extra cost. I know the picture quality on the OLED would be sensational, but if I'm disappointed in the way it handles motion, that's going to bother me immensely. I already kind of regretted paying about that same price for my current TV, since the motion blur on it has been annoying. Also, my wife isn't a huge fan of the curve, so there's that. (even though on the LG it's pretty slight...)

I did consider the Sony, but it seemed like its normal motion handling wasn't anything spectacular unless you turned on the "clearness" setting, which had side effects. Based on the rtings pictures, it looks like the default on the J6200 is about the same as clearness level 2 on the 800C, without any flicker or loss of brightness. I would have appreciated Android TV, the extra ports, and the deeper blacks, but I'm really prioritizing excellent motion handling right now.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You should go see the Sony in person for motion settings, imo. Using still pictures from one review site seems a bit insane, but it sounds like your mind is made up.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 11, 2015

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Believe me, I'd love to go play with all the models I was considering in person, but it's surprisingly difficult to find particular models on display (despite them showing as in stock) and even if I did find them, the setups in the stores don't really support testing out games.

So instead I spent like 5 hours reading about TVs on the internet between yesterday and today. I don't want to have to rely on a single site, but they seem to be the only ones attempting to quantify blurring.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Dr. Eldarion posted:

According to rtings at least, the 6200 is 120hz.

I think that may be an error. Typically motion rate hz is double the actual refresh on Samsung.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Don Lapre posted:

I think that may be an error. Typically motion rate hz is double the actual refresh on Samsung.

Allegedly, that's changed for 2015. Kind of. Depends on if it's 4K or 1080p. http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/fake-refresh-rates-samsung-clear-motion-rate-vs-sony-motionflow-vs-lg-trumotion?uxtv=71963d033eca

That's the same site, though, so they could be mistaken I suppose. They do claim to have explicitly tested it, though.

Edit: Apparently, Samsung has motion rate 60 now (examples) and I assume that's not 30hz. :)

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 12, 2015

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Got a Vizio E60-C3 and everything looks pretty great. I've noticed though when watching Bojack Horseman that there is this weird slight jitter anytime the character moves. I'm thinking it must be the animation itself and that it is magnified on a big screen. Can anyone confirm / deny or is my screen hosed.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Peacebone posted:

Got a Vizio E60-C3 and everything looks pretty great. I've noticed though when watching Bojack Horseman that there is this weird slight jitter anytime the character moves. I'm thinking it must be the animation itself and that it is magnified on a big screen. Can anyone confirm / deny or is my screen hosed.

That's probably Motion Blur Reduction. Turn that off on your TV.

Tibby
Mar 24, 2004

happy bamboo cup
How are Sony screens these days? I can get a decent deal on a 48 inch KDL-48R553, is this TV ok for daily use? (the occasional game too I guess, but this isn't a huge priority.) I haven't owned a TV in years, so getting into this feels a little overwhelming...so many stats and numbers.

:ohdear:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What's a decent deal and what's important to you in a set?

I like Sony a lot but I don't know too much from that line.

Tibby
Mar 24, 2004

happy bamboo cup
I'd say around 450$ or so. As to what's important in a set, I'm not rightly sure, to be honest. It'd probably see most use for regular TV-viewing and streaming stuff via chromecast or similar. It'd be nice if it could tackle an occasional game, but like I said that's not a huge issue.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Get the cheapest set you can. Sony's great, Vizio's great. Whatever is cheaper out of those two, go do it.

Tibby
Mar 24, 2004

happy bamboo cup
Aight, thanks!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

2015 Black Friday TV sales thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Is there much of a difference between the LG 55EC9300 and the 55EG9100? I'm in the market for a new TV and it looks like the EC9300 can be had for ~1300 right now from some online vendors? How likely is it that either will be on sale between now and xmas?