Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There is something great that Aster's power is basically being swole in a world of DnD Wizards who don't even lift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What if you teleport a mountain over him and let gravity do the rest? Or what about splitting open the earth underneath him and have him fall on spikes?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Fabricated posted:

There is something great that Aster's power is basically being swole in a world of DnD Wizards who don't even lift.

The Ultimate Final Battle of the series will be Aster vs some dude who works out and read a book about swordfighting once.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

What if you teleport a mountain over him and let gravity do the rest? Or what about splitting open the earth underneath him and have him fall on spikes?

He can cut the teleport and would probably just jump or run away with his powerful legs if you tried either.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pebbled again.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Sharky's description of this series is starting to sound like two kids arguing in a sandbox over whose made-up superhero is stronger.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

"My guy summons a mountain to drop on top of your guy!"

"My guy cuts through the warp and runs away on his super fast legs!"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Fabricated posted:

its really loving dumb and generic but I like it purely for this reason

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Jose posted:

its really loving dumb and generic but I like it purely for this reason

I'm still fond of the part where the Princess who was entirely unable to control her magic her entire life and was ostracized for it does a complete 180 like a chapter after she was introduced because the MC said something vaguely encouraging and (literally) random little peasant girl cheered her on. Or something. It was super dumb so I've blocked most of it out.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

madmac posted:

I'm still fond of the part where the Princess who was entirely unable to control her magic her entire life and was ostracized for it does a complete 180 like a chapter after she was introduced because the MC said something vaguely encouraging and (literally) random little peasant girl cheered her on. Or something. It was super dumb so I've blocked most of it out.

i love when people who know absolutely nothing just say dumb poo poo and get it all wrong but act smug about it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm really fond of the part in Ghost In The Shell where the Major became a turtle and started doing karate chops to the bald man?? whats his name and then they like blew up the sun or something, haha that was so dumb who would like that show.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

i love when people who know absolutely nothing just say dumb poo poo and get it all wrong but act smug about it.

By all means, please explain Princess Character's rich backstory and compelling character development in depth. It's not like I'm going to go back and re-read the riveting early chapters of Black Clover to get all the details right.

quote:

I'm really fond of the part in Ghost In The Shell where the Major became a turtle and started doing karate chops to the bald man?? whats his name and then they like blew up the sun or something, haha that was so dumb who would like that show.

That was cool, though?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Could this chucklefuck beat Natsu Dragneel, the Flame Dragon Slayer who not only is a mage but is also an expert hand to hand combatant?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Noelle looked down on Aster because of their difference in class but over time grew to care about him because of his upfront and kind nature and constantly standing up for her when others looked down on her in turn, idjit.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It didn't happen all at once, you're just a supreme tard.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Noelle looked down on Aster because of their difference in class but over time grew to care about him because of his upfront and kind nature and constantly standing up for her when others looked down on her in turn, idjit.

By "Over time" we're talking about how many chapters? This is important to me.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

She's an incredibly powerful magic user but has trouble accurately controlling it, a development that is shown in really cool spreads that reveal the entire story in a single visual image.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

She only stops treating him with detest at the end of dungeon arc.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Could this chucklefuck beat Natsu Dragneel, the Flame Dragon Slayer who not only is a mage but is also an expert hand to hand combatant?

Fairy Failures leave.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

Fairy Failures leave.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

She only stops treating him with detest at the end of dungeon arc.

OK, but she still learns to aim in literally her first fight after being introduced, no?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

No, she still relies more on the overwhelming power of her spells to gain victory, shes more accurate than before but still has a way to go before shes in full control of her powers.

You lack the ability to read comics and I feel bad for you.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

That's why I said I love people who are smugly dismissive and also entirely wrong, it's like a big mirror that just reveals how they are fail instead of exposing the flaws of the work.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

madmac posted:

OK, but she still learns to aim in literally her first fight after being introduced, no?

IIRC ihey gave her something to dampen her power and thus make it more controllable.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

IIRC ihey gave her something to dampen her power and thus make it more controllable.

Did they? I remember Viz put out those chapters in one big clump that didn't hold my attention much so y'know.

For the record, I actually liked the first chapter/concept of Black Clover but I've enjoyed it less with each succeeding chapter (and consequently paid less attention) to the point where I just skim through it anymore to get to the next series.

I sincerely didn't like how Noel was handled though and it was the point I basically checked out entirely. I think mostly it just reminded me too much of Fairy Tail and it's gimmick of attempting big emotional payoffs it hadn't even tried to earn, though to be fair the pacing of everything in Black Clover is kinda insane.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dexo posted:

She goes shopping with Vanessa afterwards and they buy some stuff that helps a bit.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

madmac posted:

Did they? I remember Viz put out those chapters in one big clump that didn't hold my attention much so y'know.

For the record, I actually liked the first chapter/concept of Black Clover but I've enjoyed it less with each succeeding chapter (and consequently paid less attention) to the point where I just skim through it anymore to get to the next series.

I sincerely didn't like how Noel was handled though and it was the point I basically checked out entirely.

lmao I DONT READ IT ANYMORE I JUST LOOK AT THE PICTURES SOMETIMES AND ITS SO STUPID AND LAME WELL I DONT READ IT ANYMORE ANYWAYS PEACE

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Disliking that scene is really wierd too since all that happens is she decides to act to actually defend somebody else for once in her life and gets lucky and succeeds and she's happy about the marginal increase in control the situation left her with. It also only worked because she was casting a gigantic defensive spell instead of an offensive one. Aster has nothing to do with it at all, she made the decision on her own.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 20, 2015

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

madmac posted:

All the standard wizard tests up to that point measured a person's offensive power and she couldn't hit a target to save her life, so everyone (except Natsu Luffy Aster) thought she was useless. When she finally ended up in a life or death situation where she had to protect others, she got the idea to play defense and made a big loving wall of water and it worked. She still can't aim for poo poo, but at least she doesn't feel useless anymore.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Avulsion posted:

All the standard wizard tests up to that point measured a person's offensive power and she couldn't hit a target to save her life, so everyone (except Natsu Luffy Aster) thought she was useless. When she finally ended up in a life or death situation where she had to protect others, she got the idea to play defense and made a big loving wall of water and it worked. She still can't aim for poo poo, but at least she doesn't feel useless anymore.

Yeah, fair enough.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just read most of the current chapters of Black Clover, and it has the same problem Fairy Tail does; rather than there being a consistent set of rules that people more or less have to follow during battles, the mages instead just have whatever ability the author wants them to have to win/lose a battle. At least in Naruto (until the late part of the series, anyways) characters generally have a limited set of well known abilities that they would then use creatively in their battles. If a main character trained, it would be to learn some specific ability/abilities. In this it's just "this guy uses ice/wind/whatever and did some crazy poo poo with it that was more powerful than the crazy poo poo this other guy did." Which is basically the same thing Fairy Tail does.

It's a shame because I don't really mind the generic setting/characters. It's just that, at least for me, the quality of the fights are what determine what a shounen battle series is good.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

one of the things pre-timeskip and immediately post timeskip naruto did very well was team battles that i've rarely seen done well in other manga, probably because of how the powers work

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah Naruto does team battles really well. Most series just have the characters take turns attacking.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I personally prefer the Bleach approach of everyone facing off against each other in big groups and then inexplicably splitting up into 1:1 duels that never affect one another at all

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Very few shounen series get fighting "Right" in my opinion, but the ones that do are top tier.

Actually, few comics in general do fights much justice.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I've come to learn that shounen fights that are puzzle fights and/or manly as poo poo are generally the best fights.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
That is Kishimoto's strong point in terms of panel choreography.

He is one of the best in terms of smaller scale 1v1 and 2v1/3v1 battles.

Once he starts adding in Susanoo's and Chakra Shroud's and constantly raising the scale of the fights that he runs into problems.

Sasuke vs Itachi(even though it started the Susanoo bullshit), Hidan vs Shikamaru, and Kakashi/Chouji/Ino vs Kazuku, Chiyo/Sakura vs Sasori. Sai/Naruto vs Yamato. Gaara/Lee vs Kimimaro

Even the smaller encounters like Tobi vs Minato are well plotted out.

Kishimoto is real good at human vs human combat. But for some reason decided to escalate this series to people creating and destroying moon sized objects.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Bad Seafood posted:

Very few shounen series get fighting "Right" in my opinion, but the ones that do are top tier.

Actually, few comics in general do fights much justice.
I'm kind of curious what you mean by "getting fighting right." Not trying to call you out since I generally agree, but that's a vague statement that could probably be expanded upon.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

psyren had good fights and should definitely have been a seinen series. imagine it was published in the same comic as kingdom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Jose posted:

psyren had good fights and should definitely have been a seinen series. imagine it was published in the same comic as kingdom

I've been meaning to reread Psyren and Mx0