Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mitt Romney posted:

Boehner is having problems even coming up with 30 votes for a clean debt ceiling vote now. http://thehill.com/policy/finance/257393-gop-votes-scarce-on-debt-ceiling-hike

What happens when the GOP extremists completely take over the house? There's going to be at minimum a 2 year period where no budgets and no debt ceilings will get passed, unless the Democratic president/congress capitulate.

Similar thing happened in Pennsylvania, the GOP held everything hostage long enough that everyone started blaming the Democratic governor for not "just giving in and ending the misery of the citizens".

Executive order everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Platinum coin :getin:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

quote:

Starwars poo poo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If Obama tries an executive order to fix things then the Republicans will poo poo bricks

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joe Biden was pretty notably a skeptic of the OBL raid, it was reported that he told Obama "don't go" and Clinton has said in public and in her book that he was very reticent about the whole thing.

Today he said this:

quote:

At an event honoring former Vice President Walter Mondale, Biden said he had privately advised the President to pursue the raid on bin Laden's compound after initially advising a more cautious approach at a Cabinet meeting.

"We walked out of the room and walked upstairs," Biden said. "I told him my opinion: I thought he should go, but to follow his own instincts."

The new account is a significant departure from what he said at a Democratic retreat in January 2012.

"Mr. President, my suggestion is, 'Don't go,'" Biden said, according to an ABC News report from that time.

"'We have to do two more things to see if he's there,'" Biden recalled, though the story did not include what those two things were.

The Cabinet meeting Biden referred to has been described by several people in the administration, including President Barack Obama himself.

This is why he'd be a terrible candidate yall.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hollismason posted:

If Obama tries an executive order to fix things then the Republicans will poo poo bricks

Good then Congress will have provided actual building materials necessary to patch up all infrastructure.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Harry Reid just made an important endorsement.

He's endorsed Paul Ryan for Speaker of the House

quote:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/reid-paul-ryan-endorsement

Fresh off of insulting the entire state of New Hampshire, Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) gave reporters his latest lesson in the dark arts of political trolling by endorsing Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) for next House speaker. Reid told reporters Tuesday that he hoped Ryan was elected to the leadership position and went as far as to say he was a "fan" of the House Ways and Means chairman.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There's no executive order he can give that will fix this.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Harry Reid is the best, too bad our country will now be plunged into a thousand years of darkness.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mitt Romney posted:

Harry Reid just made an important endorsement.

He's endorsed Paul Ryan for Speaker of the House

Haha now if we can get Pelosi to say the same thing we can torpedo this whole Paul Ryan speakership plan.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hollismason posted:

If he finally opens the FEMA death camps there is.

Lazarus Long
Dec 13, 2002

Hollismason posted:

Executive Order 66

"Wipe them out...all of them."

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
If Congress decides that it won't do its job, then the government doesn't work. Obama can't fix that with EO's, SCOTUS can't fix it with a ruling. If Congress decides that they'd rather wreck the country than risk getting primaried by soreheads, then the country gets wrecked and there isn't much that anyone can do about it.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Mitt Romney posted:

Boehner is having problems even coming up with 30 votes for a clean debt ceiling vote now. http://thehill.com/policy/finance/257393-gop-votes-scarce-on-debt-ceiling-hike

What happens when the GOP extremists completely take over the house? There's going to be at minimum a 2 year period where no budgets and no debt ceilings will get passed, unless the Democratic president/congress capitulate.

Similar thing happened in Pennsylvania, the GOP held everything hostage long enough that everyone started blaming the Democratic governor for not "just giving in and ending the misery of the citizens".

I honestly think quite a few of them have no idea what a U.S. debt default entails and think it's all bullshit scare tactics meant to turn them into squishes.

It would be fun to see what happens if a debt default becomes a realistic possibility and big money grabs these jackasses by the scruff of the neck and gives them a come to Jesus moment.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
So ... we're gonna default.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

So ... we're gonna default aren't we.

Probably not, at least not on purpose. The big, big money that runs the GOP knows exactly what a default will mean (economic chaos) even if the pols themselves like to pretend that it's no big deal, and enough phone calls from those people will shift 30 votes the right way. The problem is that brinksmanship like this runs the risk of us hitting the ceiling without intending to just because we have a few days where the bills that we pay are a bit higher than anyone thought.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Platinum coin before default

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Hopefully this forces Boehner to eliminate the debt ceiling altogether before he goes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

derra posted:

Hopefully this forces Boehner to eliminate the debt ceiling altogether before he goes.

What?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Probably not, at least not on purpose. The big, big money that runs the GOP knows exactly what a default will mean (economic chaos) even if the pols themselves like to pretend that it's no big deal, and enough phone calls from those people will shift 30 votes the right way. The problem is that brinksmanship like this runs the risk of us hitting the ceiling without intending to just because we have a few days where the bills that we pay are a bit higher than anyone thought.

I don't know this just seems worse. I don't know why? Maybe it's just the climate now but it feels different than last time.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

derra posted:

If he's having trouble getting 30 to just extend the debt ceiling, why do you think he could get 30 that would vote to do away with it? Let alone how'd that pass the senate...

Hollismason posted:

I don't know this just seems worse. I don't know why? Maybe it's just the climate now but it feels different than last time.

Because it is much worse. The idea that "we'll fix it in time" is how catastrophe happens.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

If he's having trouble getting 30 to just extend the debt ceiling, why do you think he could get 30 that would vote to do away with it? Let alone how'd that pass the senate...

It was also established in the 40's. There's nothing inherently wrong with a debt ceiling, we went like 70 years before it ever became an issue.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

There's no reason a debt limit needs to exist at all. As we're seeing right now, it doesn't exactly do anything good at all, just create problems. Not that Boehner will get rid of it, but if Democrats get control of Congress back they should.

zoux posted:

It was also established in the 40's. There's nothing inherently wrong with a debt ceiling, we went like 70 years before it ever became an issue.

There is nothing good that it does. The sole thing it does is create the possibility of default. Its existence does not force Congress to keep appropriations in check.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Maybe the Republicans feel that if they default they can blame the Democrats and Obama ends his term with the world economy destroyed.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Hey, I can dream that he would take away the gun from the baby, right? At this point it's the only reasonable option and last I checked he was adamant about not letting the country default.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lemming posted:

Platinum coin before default

The platinum coin is a fantasy and would never, ever be used as a solution.

The likely thing that Obama would do in case we hit the debt ceiling is to order that what federal funds are available be used to make our bond payments so that we don't destroy the bond/banking sector. Everything else, including the salaries of federal employees, SSI/D payments, military pay, etc. would be put on hold.

The market would tank. You'd lose your job, I'd lose my job, and my jokes about guillotines would take on a more serious tone.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The only way is if he capitulates. They're not going to let Planned Parenthood go.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Zeroisanumber posted:

Assume that they get the 30 votes this year which is likely. What about in 2018-2020 when the house will be it's most ideologically "pure"? A 6+ month long shutdown or a default would be possible with a Democratic president.

Who will the receive the most blame if it lasts that long or there is a default, the house or President Clinton? Will even more of them get elected in 2020?

There is precedent that when one side is willing to burn things down and cause significant long-term problems, that the reasonable side is accused of being at fault for simply not giving in.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

evilweasel posted:

There's no reason a debt limit needs to exist at all. As we're seeing right now, it doesn't exactly do anything good at all, just create problems. Not that Boehner will get rid of it, but if Democrats get control of Congress back they should.

Democrats want to bankrupt the country by giving your tax dollars away forever!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zeroisanumber posted:

The likely thing that Obama would do in case we hit the debt ceiling is to order that what federal funds are available be used to make our bond payments so that we don't destroy the bond/banking sector. Everything else, including the salaries of federal employees, SSI/D payments, military pay, etc. would be put on hold.

The market would tank. You'd lose your job, I'd lose my job, and my jokes about guillotines would take on a more serious tone.

The Treasury Department says that its systems cannot do this. They simply weren't designed with that capability.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

derra posted:

Hey, I can dream that he would take away the gun from the baby, right? At this point it's the only reasonable option and last I checked he was adamant about not letting the country default.

He should mint an adamantium coin.

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

Except Lew & others have insisted that the Federal government's payment systems are not set up for this kind of prioritization, so I'm not confident that defaulting on a debt payment is even avoidable if it gets to that point.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Obama should put out an executive order that military assets are legal tender and just start making government payments by handing out jets and mortars.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Maybe they think this is the only way they can win the 2016 elections? Cause the default and destroy Obama's "legacy" and we go into the 2016 election with unemployment sky high and the econmy destroyed.

A populist message at that point would be very popular.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

greatn posted:

He should mint an adamantium coin.

its about drat time america started dipping into its unobtanium reserve

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

The Treasury Department says that its systems cannot do this. They simply weren't designed with that capability.

Ah. Well, then the living will envy the dead because we'd all lose our shirts.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

seiferguy posted:

Just gonna take this to it's logical conclusion:

Donald Trump - Jabba the Hutt (successful businessman of the galaxy)
Ben Carson - Bib Fortuna (tries to be like Jabba but will ultimately only be only 2nd to him, also has a really weird voice)
Carly Fiornia - IG88 (makes a cool appearance in Shadows of the Empire but then is doomed to irrelevance forever)
Ted Cruz - Nien Nunb (they kind of look like each other)
Mike Huckabee - Darth Malak (believes in the dark sideconservatism the most, will ultimately be struck down by a younger, more experienced candidate)
Rand Paul - Lobot (believes in the gold standardthe cloud gas standard, does nothing else to distinguish himself)
Rick Santorum - Greedo (ultimately irrelevant, but jokes made against him will stick with our memories for a lifetime)

How is Trump not Lando Calrissian.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

How is Trump not Lando Calrissian.

Lando ended up being an okay person is why.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

I think the platinum coin is more likely than us hitting the debt ceiling and not defaulting on loan payments.

Maybe we could get a bridge loan from the IMF or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I imagine he'll find the votes when Chinese assassins start offing the Freedom Caucus because a US default means China loses at least 1/3 of its economy overnight

• Locked thread