Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lblitzer posted:

For people that have the X Style, how are you liking it? I was debating on that or the Nexus 6 but decided the 6 is a bit too big for my liking. The main thing I'm worried about is the battery life.

It's been fantastic for me. Battery life for my usage patterns has been about the same as the Droid Turbo. I'm sure if I was running the screen non-stop, it would die quicker than my Turbo did, but for my daily use patterns I'm coming home from work with between 65%-70% charge remaining which is pretty much what I would have on the Turbo.

Even though it's bigger, it actually fits into my pocket better than the Turbo did and it isn't any harder to use single handed. Everyone who's seen it too has been really impressed by it. It really feels premium in the hand and the materials are top notch. Audio output from the headphone jack also sounds a ton better than the Turbo (which I always felt was a step back from my MAXX.)

Camera has been great for me, capturing some really detailed shots.

I miss wireless charging a little, but I've gotten into the habit of plugging my phone in when I first wake up in the morning and it's fully charged before I walk out of the house. Turbocharging is great.

In all, just a great package at a great price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Lblitzer posted:

For people that have the X Style, how are you liking it? I was debating on that or the Nexus 6 but decided the 6 is a bit too big for my liking. The main thing I'm worried about is the battery life.
I think it can't be beat at the $400 price point. Nothing really comes close unless you are willing to put up with Asus bloatware on the Zenfone 2. I found myself liking the camera a lot more than I expected to, the Moto enhancements are really great, and overall smoothness and performance are good. The display is exceptionally good. It is a pretty large device but the bezels are thin and the curved back make it feel less comically huge than a Note or Nexus 6.

Battery life is fine, it's not amazing but it gets through a day with plenty to spare and turbo charging is rad. I just don't think the 6P has enough over this phone to justify the $100 price difference unless you are dead set on a fingerprint scanner.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google has updated their compatibility requirements for various features. So, there are certain standards that have to be met in order to get access to google apps.

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-updates-its-android-compatibility-definition-document-requirements-doze-fingerprint-sensors

quote:

Doze: All apps exempted from App Standby and/or Doze mode MUST be made visible to the end user. Further, the triggering, maintenance, wakeup algorithms and the use of Global system settings of these power-saving modes MUST not deviate from the Android Open Source Project.

Fingerprint Sensor: MUST have a false acceptance rate not higher than 0.002%. MUST rate limit attempts for at least 30 seconds after 5 false trials for fingerprint verification. MUST NOT enable 3rd-party applications to distinguish between individual fingerprints.

Full-Disk Encryption: For device implementations supporting full-disk encryption and with Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) crypto performance above 50MiB/sec, the full-disk encryption MUST be enabled by default at the time the user has completed the out-of-box setup experience. If a device implementation is already launched on an earlier Android version with full-disk encryption disabled by default, such a device cannot meet the requirement through a system software update and thus MAY be exempted.

So, good stuff all the way around. OEMs won't be able to abuse Doze with their system apps, fingerprint sensors must meet a minimum quality standard, and encryption requirement comes back as long as the storage is fast enough.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

Google has updated their compatibility requirements for various features. So, there are certain standards that have to be met in order to get access to google apps.

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-updates-its-android-compatibility-definition-document-requirements-doze-fingerprint-sensors

So, good stuff all the way around. OEMs won't be able to abuse Doze with their system apps, fingerprint sensors must meet a minimum quality standard, and encryption requirement comes back as long as the storage is fast enough.

I wonder if they can implement requirements like this for the market, or if they have.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm gonna lose my loving mind trying to find a reasonable deal on a Z3c. I'd even go off the board and try one of these Chinese phones like a Meizu but is there anything out there no larger than 5", preferably less than 5 that sports a half decent spec and good camera?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
New nexus 5 is like 5.2"

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Nah son. Got a S5 now and I hate it. Not just the fact that its Samsung garbage but the size is all wrong.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

codo27 posted:

Nah son. Got a S5 now and I hate it. Not just the fact that its Samsung garbage but the size is all wrong.

Well there's always the Iphone 6s since no one wants to make a good smaller android phone.

I mean moto g 3rd edition is alright but not a flagship or anything.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

havenwaters posted:

Well there's always the Iphone 6s since no one wants to make a good smaller android phone.

S5 and iPhone 6S are virtually the same size.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Oh wow still not even a microsd slot? Bravo Google.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

codo27 posted:

I'm gonna lose my loving mind trying to find a reasonable deal on a Z3c. I'd even go off the board and try one of these Chinese phones like a Meizu but is there anything out there no larger than 5", preferably less than 5 that sports a half decent spec and good camera?

Isn't the Z5C the same size as the Z3C?

codo27 posted:

What do you need an SD slot for when you can store almost everything on the cloud? Are ever not connected to data or wifi?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Super Dude posted:

What do you need an SD slot for when you can store almost everything on the cloud? Are ever not connected to data or wifi?
Could we perhaps leave this can of worms for another day, please?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

64 GB is nowhere near enough 10-bit animes for one day.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm with Koodo in Canada and I pay $61 a month tax in. To get the same plan plus take out a Z3 or Z5 with Bell (exclusive) I'd have to pay $90 plus tax they tell me, and I don't really have the cash right now to just buy it out. This is all with 2gb of data a month btw, so forget streaming everything off the cloud.

32gb might do me but just barely, I don't want to have to compromise. I mainly just keep my music on the card. Plus its nice to be able to wipe the internal storage and leave the music and stuff on there untouched.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

codo27 posted:

I too am shocked that Google hasn't included an SD card slot, since they did on the Nexus 6 Nexus 5 Nexus 4 Galaxy Nexus Nexus S Nexus One

codo27 posted:

32gb might do me but just barely, I don't want to have to compromise.

Yeah, it is dumb the 5X doesn't come in a higher storage size option. Not sure why they didn't at least put out a 64gb option for $450 or $470 (USD) or thereabouts.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

codo27 posted:

What about the new A9?

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/htc-one-a9-hands-on-this-is-a-mid-range-smartphone-that-feels-like-a-flagship/

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

The A9 is the same size as the S5.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
HTC announced the new iPhone!
For 399$ you get a 5' 1080p, Snapdragon 617, 3GB Ram, 32 GB storage phone.
It's got a fingerprint scanner, a micro SD slot and marshmallow out of the box.
There's also 13 MP camera with OIS.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/20/9567471/htc-one-android-6-0-marshmallow-iphone

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

2150 mah battery and made by HTC. No thanks.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Shai-Hulud posted:

HTC announced the new iPhone!
For 399$ you get a 5' 1080p, Snapdragon 617, 3GB Ram, 32 GB storage phone.
It's got a fingerprint scanner, a micro SD slot and marshmallow out of the box.
There's also 13 MP camera with OIS.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/20/9567471/htc-one-android-6-0-marshmallow-iphone

When did HTC start copying that stupid Samsung-esque physical home button? Ugh.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

SB35 posted:

They use it as a fingerprint scanner.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

SB35 posted:

Obviously the physical home button is the reason Samsung is selling more phones than HTC.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

SB35 posted:

I think it's not a button.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

SB35 posted:

Having the buttons on the bezel rather than taking up screen space is bad beause? Especially now that everyone is going for fingerprint scannners.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Finally got Marshmallow on my Nexus 6. First thing I wanna try is, of course, Now on Tap and only now find out that it's not available in Germany at the moment :(

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Still waiting on the marshmallow update to come ota on the nexus 6. They control the software, why can't they have same day updates like apple?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

uPen posted:

Having the buttons on the bezel rather than taking up screen space is bad beause? Especially now that everyone is going for fingerprint scannners.

The HTC A9 still has the on-screen buttons.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

RZA Encryption posted:

Still waiting on the marshmallow update to come ota on the nexus 6. They control the software, why can't they have same day updates like apple?

You have a nexus, why on earth are you waiting for an ota to arrive like some kind of commoner?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

uPen posted:

Buttons on screen means a smaller phone for same sized display, and when you want to use the whole display for content (video, reading, etc), the buttons can be hidden using immersive mode.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I'd been reluctant to leave HTC because I actually get some use out of BoomSound... so they drop BoomSound from their new flagship. Things are getting rough for the buyer who won't give up MicroSD.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I'd been reluctant to leave HTC because I actually get some use out of BoomSound... so they drop BoomSound from their new flagship. Things are getting rough for the buyer who won't give up MicroSD.

Moto X Style/Pure Edition is the obvious choice.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

AlexF posted:

Finally got Marshmallow on my Nexus 6. First thing I wanna try is, of course, Now on Tap and only now find out that it's not available in Germany at the moment :(

?? It seems to be working fine on my Nexus 5. My phone's in English not German though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

You have a nexus, why on earth are you waiting for an ota to arrive like some kind of commoner?
Maybe it's the principle of janitoring his phone when he shouldn't have to do anything more than mash "update"

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 20, 2018

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

MC Hawking posted:

Has Google elaborated any more on how biometric data is going to be secured on devices? I'm still somewhat leery about fingerprint sensors without a bit more information on the subject beyond the blurb in that Reddit ama the other week.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/10/19/google-lays-out-requirements-for-fingerprint-sensors-in-android-6-0/

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

MC Hawking posted:

Has Google elaborated any more on how biometric data is going to be secured on devices? I'm still somewhat leery about fingerprint sensors without a bit more information on the subject beyond the blurb in that Reddit ama the other week.

Well, when they certify devices made by other people, the CDD http://static.googleusercontent.com/media/source.android.com/en//compatibility/android-cdd.pdf says (Page 48):

MUST have all identifiable fingerprint data encrypted and cryptographically authenticated such that they cannot be acquired, read or altered outside of the Trusted Execution Environment (TEE) as documented in the implementation guidelines on the Android Open Source Project site [Resources, 96].

https://source.android.com/devices/tech/security/authentication/fingerprint-hal.htm

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
drat how did I miss that? Thanks. :)

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
The A9 reminds me a bit of the HTC One mini (M4) from two years ago. One mini was my favorite phone out of all the HTC phones I've used. M8 was good too, but I just really loved the size and the design of the M4. Too bad HTC phones break all the time and always have known+widespread issues.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Maybe it's the principle of janitoring his phone when he shouldn't have to do anything more than mash "update"

Yeah, this. I shouldn't have to gently caress with my phone to have the latest software. There's no excuse for not having all OTAs go out day one. If they're scared of bricking phones, they need to do more testing. If they're worried about server load, lol, they're Google and can handle both nexus owners updating simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah, this. I shouldn't have to gently caress with my phone to have the latest software. There's no excuse for not having all OTAs go out day one. If they're scared of bricking phones, they need to do more testing. If they're worried about server load, lol, they're Google and can handle both nexus owners updating simultaneously.

This is almost exactly right, though they should still do a staged rollout, but just have it be a short period of time. Like maybe 3 days or something.

Just hire me Google, I'll get this poo poo ironed out for you.