Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Remember there is such a thing as a luck stat in the game. Either stack it with trinkets or avoid cursed die if you want easier runs.

As far as i know the cursed die work the same way the Ranald's Blessing trinket works, just makes it less likely that you will find supplies in chests and spawnpoints. The tome/grim/cursed die mechanic is great and allows for a certain amount of choice when it comes to difficulty, but even if you run a straight out no grims/tomes map, you can still get dunked by the RNG spawning everything it has in one big blob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.
Host disconnected right before we closed wagon door after gathering grain. :negative:

Is it 2015 now?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

BombiTheZombie posted:

As far as i know the cursed die work the same way the Ranald's Blessing trinket works, just makes it less likely that you will find supplies in chests and spawnpoints. The tome/grim/cursed die mechanic is great and allows for a certain amount of choice when it comes to difficulty, but even if you run a straight out no grims/tomes map, you can still get dunked by the RNG spawning everything it has in one big blob.

Yeah but the likelyhood is way reduced because the individual frequency is much lower.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BombiTheZombie posted:

You say this like it's a bad thing.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

You say this like it's a bad thing.

Its a bit annoying when you get slammed through no fault of yours or your teams, but that's warhams for you.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

You guys have mentioned "good luck while upgrading" when it came to certain items. The only thing I've seen for upgrading items is unlocking the abilities they have on them at the forge. Is there a different kind of ugprading I'm missing? Something that randomly adds stats?

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I hope someone finds where the sound files are packed away eventually so I can add my own jazzy tunes.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
My worst run would have to be something that seemed easy at first; we had cleared out the courtyard in Horn and spawned an Ogre on our way up to the tavern. No problem, right? Well, while we were kiting it back to the courtyard two hookrats appeared and yanked away the wizard and waywatcher, pulling them in opposite directions, one back towards the tavern and the other into that little alcove off of the courtyard. Leaving the dwarf to handle the ogre for now, I chased the hookrat into the alcove and straight into a third loving hookrat.

That was BULLSHIT.

Zaodai posted:

You guys have mentioned "good luck while upgrading" when it came to certain items. The only thing I've seen for upgrading items is unlocking the abilities they have on them at the forge. Is there a different kind of ugprading I'm missing? Something that randomly adds stats?

They mean 'good luck getting the high range of the chance stats,' basically. You know, getting close to the 15% on something listed as a 5-15% chance. The exact chance isn't set in stone until you upgrade.

Gealar
May 2, 2013

Zaodai posted:

When you have an item that has a special trait it has a range of percentage that it can happen or a range of its affect. When you upgrade it a number is chosen that is inside the range for the item. Good luck would be getting the higher end chances of happening.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
The laser staff will stagger him as well, if it hits the head. Smashing him with a shield will do it too.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Oh, that makes sense. I didn't know the range finalized once you upgraded it.

Thanks guys.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Zaodai posted:

Upgrades that add an effect that has a chance of happening will be previewed with a range of % chance. When you get that upgrade the range will be replaced with a specific value somewhere in that range.

So for example a sword I get has a 5-10% chance of giving me 10 health. When I get the upgrade, it will change to, say, an 8% chance of healing me.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BombiTheZombie posted:

Its a bit annoying when you get slammed through no fault of yours or your teams, but that's warhams for you.

Getting slammed by ridiculous spawns is the highlight of the game :)

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
playing with pubs is a special experience

you and your friend ducking out of the way and watching a storm patrol go past...

then seeing a single projectile fly at it from god only knows where, and the entire patrol aggros. the one that got hit wasn't even a headshot.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

Getting slammed by ridiculous spawns is the highlight of the game :)

True, hell most of Warhammer lore is "This guy totally died surrounded by overwhelming amounts of enemies and he killed like a hundred guys before getting chopped into pieces". On that note, i really wish they had a taunt/shout button that makes you shout inspirational quotes along the lines of "FOR THE EMPIRE", "SIGMAR PROTECTS" or some such. Would totally die to overwhelming odds spamming the poo poo out of that key.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
also, for dudes like me who jumped into this cuz of friends without really looking at previews: there is good reason to be very loving excited for this weekend and the new levels it will bring

Knowing that we get at least one forest level gives me hope for some kind of a mountain pass level with tons of sheer cliffs and caves and thunder and lightning in the middle of a raging storm, before we head down into the Under Empire :getin:

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Nodelphi posted:

Does anyone know if the version gmg is selling is a steam key? Looking to gift some copies through steam to some friends of mine.

Yeah, I bought my copy from GMG and it was a steam key.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

BombiTheZombie posted:

True, hell most of Warhammer lore is "This guy totally died surrounded by overwhelming amounts of enemies and he killed like a hundred guys before getting chopped into pieces". On that note, i really wish they had a taunt/shout button that makes you shout inspirational quotes along the lines of "FOR THE EMPIRE", "SIGMAR PROTECTS" or some such. Would totally die to overwhelming odds spamming the poo poo out of that key.

They could replace the pointless "look at your weapon" button with that.

Gealar
May 2, 2013

apostateCourier posted:

I would be very happy if it had a yelling option like chivalry. It never gets old mashing the yell button in that game, probably the same with this one.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

apostateCourier posted:

that's a good button

Estranged On The Range
Oct 18, 2015
So how is is the solo experience in this game?

I remember the solo experience was somewhat terrible in L4D so I fell of it once my friends stopped playing and never returned.

Anyone been playing with randoms and found it tolerable enough? It's the only thing keeping me from not buying it and if it's alright I think I will bite!

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I think ambushes have set points instead of randomly happening like a hoard. Just blew up the gate in the tower map and my friend noticed a lot of Skaven seemingly lining up in the roof tops above the path way to the staircase that leads to the tavern. He says that might be an ambush and I say those are random like hoardes. He fires his crossbow and takes one out and as soon as it happens an ambush starts and they all start jumping off the roofs for us. I've also noticed some rats backing off around a corner and when a player rounds them there's a group waiting and as soon as you round the bend an ambush starts. Anyone knows how ambushes start?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Unshaved Moose posted:

I remember the solo experience was somewhat terrible in L4D so I fell of it once my friends stopped playing and never returned.

Anyone been playing with randoms and found it tolerable enough? It's the only thing keeping me from not buying it and if it's alright I think I will bite!

Bots are pretty good - they know how to block and shove way more than pubbies. They'll have to fix the AI when dealing with gunners though, as they go all WW1 when one arrives on the scene.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Unshaved Moose posted:

Pubs are currently awful, but the bots are surprisingly ok. You will miss some of the excitement of playing with other people though

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Plavski posted:

Bots are pretty good - they know how to block and shove way more than pubbies. They'll have to fix the AI when dealing with gunners though, as they go all WW1 when one arrives on the scene.
Also the bots sometimes just get stuck in place and never move which can screw you over.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Unshaved Moose posted:

Playing with randoms is okay when you consider that the AI director is heartless and will gently caress you over so bad sometimes that even a good group is powerless to stop it, but it would be better if you still got crap tier loot from a wipe.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I think ambushes have set points instead of randomly happening like a hoard. Just blew up the gate in the tower map and my friend noticed a lot of Skaven seemingly lining up in the roof tops above the path way to the staircase that leads to the tavern. He says that might be an ambush and I say those are random like hoardes. He fires his crossbow and takes one out and as soon as it happens an ambush starts and they all start jumping off the roofs for us. I've also noticed some rats backing off around a corner and when a player rounds them there's a group waiting and as soon as you round the bend an ambush starts. Anyone knows how ambushes start?

Apparently there is a pacing director. However, I think there might be set points and the director spawns some hordes if the group takes too long or is moving too quickly.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Unshaved Moose posted:

Boring, but reasonable on normal and hard. Bots will never pick up gear beyond health items, and cannot prioritize correctly whenever you go down, but beyond that they will kill things and stick close which is generally enough.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I don't think those are ambushes. Ambushes are very distinct and easily predictable as you will hear Skaven whispering stuff like "Quiet quiet, shh shh" or "Soon soon" a few seconds before screaming and rushing out of any spawnpoint available. What you experienced i call mini hordes. If there are a lot of rats in an area and someone gets close/makes a racket by shooting a gunpowder weapon or throwing a bomb, they get alerted and start a mini-horde.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Snatch Duster posted:

Apparently there is a pacing director. However, I think there might be set points and the director spawns some hordes if the group takes too long or is moving too quickly.

^^I suppose so but it played the ambush scream when it happened so that's why I was wondering ^^

I get that but I didn't know if the Skaven phdtically set up for an ambush or if it's just a sound que that spawns a hoard instantly. It ałways seems like for ambushes there's a pre-existing group for it but that might just be confirmation bias

Estranged On The Range
Oct 18, 2015
Sounds good!

Hopefully someone on my friends list is interested in this as well, but I think solo or pubs will have to do if not.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
A big problem with the AI is if you get hooked they don't use ranged attacks on the hook rat. I think they might think they can't hit it but a human players knows that wiffing a shot is better than not even trying and just running after the bastard.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I get that but I didn't know if the Skaven phdtically set up for an ambush or if it's just a sound que that spawns a hoard instantly. It ałways seems like for ambushes there's a pre-existing group for it but that might just be confirmation bias

The horn being blown is the ambush which happens at certain spots. Like right when you jump down into that courtyard to blow up the gate. However I think the director probably has a timer like 4 - 7 minutes, just an example of the idea, to queue up a horde. Which can explain why it may seem like hordes start at certain spots because your group probably has a comfortable pace set for each level.

BombiTheZombie posted:

I don't think those are ambushes. Ambushes are very distinct and easily predictable as you will hear Skaven whispering stuff like "Quiet quiet, shh shh" or "Soon soon" a few seconds before screaming and rushing out of any spawnpoint available. What you experienced i call mini hordes. If there are a lot of rats in an area and someone gets close/makes a racket by shooting a gunpowder weapon or throwing a bomb, they get alerted and start a mini-horde.

The skaven whispering is the Gutter Runner sound indicator.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
There's three different types of horde events, I think. There's the typical hordes, which give a cue about five seconds before starting and have a build up as the rats spawn a distance away. There's event hordes that come in waves until you complete an objective or complete the map. Ambushes give a short whisper/chatter audio cue and start immediately and spawn pretty much right on top of you, but don't seem to last long.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Is it just me or does the Bright Wizard suck?

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
So I just logged in and was mysteriously granted four levels. three achievements and a poo poo ton of orange loot. Logged out in case I'd somehow managed to get on someone else's account. Only to log back in and find everything had returned to normal. Yet I've still got the achievements. I haven't even managed to make it through a normal mission to the end yet. Let alone a nightmare. Wish I'd taken a screenshot, that was the most wonderful bug...

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I logged in and found I had a whole bunch of new and wonderful loot that I didn't have before. i doubt im gonna get to keep it though.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Phrasing posted:

The bright wizard is actually pretty cool and good. The staves all serve a distinct purpose (except for the beam staff, dont try to convince me) and their standard battle sword is pretty good at keeping hordes at bay with its sweeping attack. Comes out really fast and hits in a wide arc with a bonus chance to headshot.

Oh, and the ambush whisper is different from the gutter runner whisper. The GRs whisper has an echo effect while the ambush whisper is just a ton of rats chattering quietly. The GR also says something to the effect of "When their backs turn, we pounce".

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Phrasing posted:

Definitely just you. L2P?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Phrasing posted:

It's just you

• Locked thread