Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I bought a Mazzy Star album the other day and instead of like "the classic album" or whatever on the sticker it said "the band's universally accepted high watermark" which felt like "yeah it didn't sell a ton or chart or anything but it was the best we ever did so buy it I guess."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I bought a Mazzy Star album the other day and instead of like "the classic album" or whatever on the sticker it said "the band's universally accepted high watermark" which felt like "yeah it didn't sell a ton or chart or anything but it was the best we ever did so buy it I guess."

Are you on the prom committee? Getting a playlist ready? Have you heard that Greenday song?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

5er posted:

Since we're on about McDonalds advertising being awful for the bulk of our living memory... the worst ads are the ones where they're trying to suggest that people are making their poo poo food a part of their identities. Radio ads with monotone soccer moms describing the chores of their banal existence and McCafe being a critical part of it. Their ridiculously racist 'urban demographic' ads with minorities in low riders babbling in trendy slang about McD cheeseburgers are how dey roll.
Nobody is going to wear a shirt with a McDonald's logo on it, just around. Nobody is going to make that brand part of their every day wear, even hipster-ironically (though I bet it has been tried / done). I don't think they'll ever stop trying though.

Oh you know it.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/news/mcdonald-s-launches-clothing-line-with-big-mac-prints-10136634.html

Love how embarrassed the middle and left look.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

That face says 'coerced'.

edit lol that loving Moschino sweater

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Captain Monkey posted:

KC is an oasis of well done food in the vast culinary desert that is the Midwest, and you know it.

Yeop. Exceptions to every rule and all that. The KC metro area has some amazing stuff.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

John Murdoch posted:

There's also a remote possibility that they scheduled things in an exceedingly dumb way and there's more coming in future days that might change the picture.

And...boom, with today's update they added in the ability to get drills in-game from random drops. It remains to be seen if the drop rate on them is remotely fair, but that at least bumps things up from scummy microtransaction scheme to simply crappy microtransaction scheme.

Not clear if it was planned or just hastily pulled together, but they at least had a cute little animation of Wolf to go along with the announcement, which may be what the whole bindle thing was about.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 22:24 on Oct 20, 2015

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

5er posted:

Since we're on about McDonalds advertising being awful for the bulk of our living memory... the worst ads are the ones where they're trying to suggest that people are making their poo poo food a part of their identities. Radio ads with monotone soccer moms describing the chores of their banal existence and McCafe being a critical part of it. Their ridiculously racist 'urban demographic' ads with minorities in low riders babbling in trendy slang about McD cheeseburgers are how dey roll.
Nobody is going to wear a shirt with a McDonald's logo on it, just around. Nobody is going to make that brand part of their every day wear, even hipster-ironically (though I bet it has been tried / done). I don't think they'll ever stop trying though.

Well, there are donk cars, don't ask me whether they're supposed to be ironic or not.

Also, I've met more than a few people who almost ritualistically go to food chains as a highlight of their week. It's just that it's not blatantly scripted or forced when they talk about their love of [product].

Slightly related, though, why is this even a thing?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

MizPiz posted:

Autism.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

They have mobile apps that do the same thing. They're fun and I don't think I'm autistic, just trivia-minded. I get a kick out of recognizing things.

Chadina
Apr 29, 2008

MizPiz posted:

It exists as proof that advertising works, despite everyone wanting to claim ads have no effect on them. In fact, it works so well that people will pay to show off how well it works on them! :suicide:

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

*Looks at a Denny's sign, points*

Denny's!

man I'm good at this game

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

MizPiz posted:

Extortion racket. "Well, I mean, Denny's signed up. You don't want Denny's having a leg up in the lucrative brand fanatic board game enthusaist market, do you, Dairy Queen?"

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Tempest_56 posted:

You're even managing to short-change how badly they handled this. Taking it back a step: The game is at the tail end of what most games would consider their lifespan - it's doing fairly well in spite of that, which is great for them. Two years is a solid run. So they chose to introduce a new monitzation scheme, which isn't a huge shock for an older product that's probably trying to squeeze out a little extra income. Problems with how they did it:

1) It was a 'community reward' for the customer base's support on the game's second anniversary. Literally, it was a "Thank you for two years of support! As a reward, we are now instituting an additional method for you to give us more money!". This was what they chose to headline ten days of content - stuff that would normally build up good will and enthusiasm.

2) They chose very weirdly to give the cosmetics stat boosts - which infuriated the pay to win crusaders. However, only some of the cosmetics have stats, only certain boosts are available for certain weapons, and nearly all the boosts are either in undesirable areas or are so small as to be insignificant - meaning all but the most extreme min-maxers don't give a poo poo. So they created a problem for nearly zero benefit.

3) It was chosen to launch this on the same day as a game-wide rebalance pass that not only altered how nearly every weapon in the game performed, but changed the scales that measured that performance so it took days to even figure out what the changes meant, let alone how it affected balance.
3a) Oh, and at the same time they managed to break 90% of the game's mods, including the HUD program that they outright branded as company-endorsed. It took them three days to state that it had been by accident and at this point none of it works again yet.

4) In a stroke of brilliance, you can have a cosmetic drop for a weapon that is DLC that you don't even own. Making something that's of already dubious value absolutely worthless.

5) Their pricing structure is completely off. For $2.50, you get one random cosmetic item that not only might be something you don't like, but could be for a weapon that you don't use or that you don't even have access to. Meanwhile, the game's DLC packs cost $5 (before sales, and this is a product that is 75% off on a quarterly basis) and include vastly more content (the most recent one included seven weapons, four masks and eight cosmetic customizations for said masks). Even if you like playing Pretty Princess Dress-Up, the value ratio there is incredibly skewed.
5a) Keep in mind, as well, that this is a product that normally racks in at $20 for the entry cost, plus has thirty $5 DLC packs and now wants an additional $2.50 for a single random cosmetic.

6) To this point, now five days later, they have remained utterly silent on the subject. Not even a "We are aware of the complaints" statement. Again, this is their big second anniversary event which is coming out after multiple weeks of build-up and coincides with a major sale and a player-grabbing free week. And they have been almost entirely silent.

To cap it all off, this was chosen to be done right alongside a major up-tick in the game's compeition as several major releases within the same sub-genre have just come out or are about to come out. I'm hard pressed to come up with a way they didn't mis-handle what should have been a fairly reasonable microtransaction launch.

This is so boring I can't talk myself into the sentences. I have no idea what this is about. Looks like it's written by an economist? Or a general-purpose ideas person? I don't know.

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010

5er posted:

I seem to remember a while back it came out that McDonalds had tried to pay rappers to mention the Big Mac in their music and not one would do it.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

Are you on the prom committee? Getting a playlist ready? Have you heard that Greenday song?

Yeah it's going to be rad as hell.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MizPiz posted:

I recently learned about the existence of Supermarket Sweep so this is the least surprising thing I've seen in this thread.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Not clear if it was planned or just hastily pulled together, but they at least had a cute little animation of Wolf to go along with the announcement, which may be what the whole bindle thing was about.

Pretty obviously hastily pulled together. Otherwise you have to accept that Overkill purposely made their customer base angry, undermined the good will generated from an anniversary celebration, damaged future sales and their overall reputation for the purpose of going "LOL trolled u". While it's possible they're that dumb, damage control is the far more likely situation.

Mescal posted:

This is so boring I can't talk myself into the sentences. I have no idea what this is about. Looks like it's written by an economist? Or a general-purpose ideas person? I don't know.

Game company introduces copies new way to make money (from other companies) into old product in a dumb way at a bad time and simultaniously with several other major unpopular changes. Reddit gets upset and does dumb poo poo like trying to call the FTC on them. Goon attempts to phrase situation with using as few game-specific terms as possible so others don't need a translator, does so poorly. Company later does damage control, Reddit is proud of itself for being sperglords. End of tale.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

I recently learned about the existence of Supermarket Sweep so this is the least surprising thing I've seen in this thread.

You talk as if Supermarket Sweep wasn't awesome.

Guy's Grocery Games just doesn't compare.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

That show owned and was my favorite thing to watch when I was a little kid. I don't care if they were brainwashing me, I actually watched an episode on youtube a few months ago for the nostalgia.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This advert is playing a lot on UK tv at the moment, it drives me a bit crazy for many reasons, but mainly because the dubbing is piss-poor, and that kid needs to smack. I can't seem to find it on Youtube but here is a link

http://www.tvadvertsuk.com/automobi...nt-tvadvertsuk/

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

OctoberBlues posted:

That show owned and was my favorite thing to watch when I was a little kid. I don't care if they were brainwashing me, I actually watched an episode on youtube a few months ago for the nostalgia.

It's a good way to learn what the most expensive things in the supermarket are, meat. Always get turkeys and hams to throw in the cart.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

It's a good way to learn what the most expensive things in the supermarket are, meat. Always get turkeys and hams to throw in the cart.

And diapers!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Coffee as well.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I think they had things like plastic garbage cans too didn't they? Those were good because they were pricey, and you could still fill them up with other things.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

VendaGoat posted:

Coffee as well.

Yeah but only because coffee was special. You got $100 for grinding a bag.

That show went to poo poo when they started putting the giant promos throughout the store. Then the primary strategy became "grab the giant promos and hope you got the best ones." I liked it more when grandma was huckin' giant frozen turkeys in her cart, or Jimbo was snatching drugs off the shelf.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
The real trick was grabbing the long packages of pork ribs and using them to line the perimeter of your cart to increase your capacity

Henker
May 5, 2009

About a year ago two West Coast grocery stores, Vons and Albertons, decided to merge. The FTC told them they had to sell off 200 stores to avoid becoming a monopoly, and most of them were sold to a Washington chain, Haggen (who only had 18 stores before the acquisition). This ended up being a horrible move for Haggen, because they filed for bankruptcy last month and announced they're going to close ALL of the stores they had just opened up in California.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Haggen-Closing-All-California-Stores-Including-19-in-San-Diego-329326671.html

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The radio ad for a local nightclub has what I'm pretty sure is Goat Simulator music in the background. The best part is from interning at that station I probably know the guy who did it and he's more than enough of a disgruntled old cynic to know exactly what he's doing. :allears:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AlphaKretin posted:

The radio ad for a local nightclub has what I'm pretty sure is Goat Simulator music in the background. The best part is from interning at that station I probably know the guy who did it and he's more than enough of a disgruntled old cynic to know exactly what he's doing. :allears:

I love it when stuff like this happens and you know someone, somewhere, had a chuckle doing it.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Henker posted:

About a year ago two West Coast grocery stores, Vons and Albertons, decided to merge. The FTC told them they had to sell off 200 stores to avoid becoming a monopoly, and most of them were sold to a Washington chain, Haggen (who only had 18 stores before the acquisition). This ended up being a horrible move for Haggen, because they filed for bankruptcy last month and announced they're going to close ALL of the stores they had just opened up in California.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Haggen-Closing-All-California-Stores-Including-19-in-San-Diego-329326671.html

Doesn't surprise me, the haggen here has all the exact same shittiness the old Albertson's had.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Something like that happened here a few times. There's a big grocery called Lucky's that changed into Albertson's years ago. Then it turned back into Lucky's after like a decade.

Starbucks bought a chain here called La Boulange and after a couple years they shut them all down. Then the La Boulange owners bought back the name and re-opened the stores.

It all looks like a huge waste of money and time.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

You could probably throw in grocery stores Dominick's and Mariano's in Chicago. Safeway bought Dominick's in the early 90s and then they slowly lost market share until Safeway up and closed all of the Dominick's in the Chicago area a couple years ago. Bob Mariano was CEO of Dominick's before Safeway bought it, and pretty much right as Dominick's really started to collapse, a bunch of Mariano's grocery stores started opening up. Once Dominick's finally went kaput, Mariano's ended up moving into like half of the old Dominick's locations.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Something like that happened here a few times. There's a big grocery called Lucky's that changed into Albertson's years ago. Then it turned back into Lucky's after like a decade.

Starbucks bought a chain here called La Boulange and after a couple years they shut them all down. Then the La Boulange owners bought back the name and re-opened the stores.

It all looks like a huge waste of money and time.

The first one isn't as dumb as it sounds. Albertsons got broken up when it was acquired by a group of companies, and the Lucky's stores were among those that lost the Albertsons name. So it was a waste of money in a sense, but it wasn't one company buying stores then just converting them back.

As for La Boulange, closing the stores was because Starbucks didn't give a poo poo about them. They bought the company for its recipes and production facilities as part of the chain's major (and hugely successful) bid to increase food sales. Now, whether letting the existing stores fail was a smart decision is up for argument, but considering it was after the cupcake crash that turned Crumbs from the Next Big Thing into a joke I won't blame Starbucks for not trying too hard.

Also Starbucks still owns the name, the new La Boulange chain is La Boulangerie de San Francisco. Similar, and it's being opened with Starbucks' official blessing, but it isn't giving up the old name.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mescal posted:

Occasionally this thread spirals into people complaining about video game companies and warhammer creators changing their beloved toy prices or whatever. It's always dull and nearly incomprehensible.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I used to work at BellSouth and AT&T so we had a fun time with name changes. First we had BellSouth Mobility for cell service. Then we went into a joint partnership with SBC Telecom and started Cingular. Spent millions making that orange blob guy synonymous with wireless phones. Then AT&T sold their wireless business to us and we spent more money changing AT&T Wireless to Cingular. Then SBC bought AT&T and BellSouth and we changed Cingular to...at&t wireless. But to be fair we went from upper case to lower case and modified the Saul Bass iconic logo for Web 2.0.

I think the AT&T Wireless to Cingular to at&t all took place within a two year time frame.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Krispy Kareem posted:

But to be fair we went from upper case to lower case and modified the Saul Bass iconic logo for Web 2.0.

What did Saul Bass know about graphic design, anyways

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

What the Death Star looked like, apparently.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Here's one that's getting lots of discussion in the UFC thread:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/oct/21/reebok-blames-design-error-for-regrettable-ufc-ireland-shirt?CMP=fb_gu

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I like how even the model has that "are you sure this is going to fly?" look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

AlphaKretin posted:

I work in creating ads and the only thing getting me through the day is adding in little things that only a few will notice.