Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tiggum posted:

Dunno about Underworld in particular, but in a lot of vampire stories they basically get more powerful as they age, but they reach a point where they start having to sleep more and more, so a millennia-old vampire is incredibly powerful when he's awake, but he sleeps for hundreds of years at a time. It's basically a plot device to allow for an unimaginably powerful bad guy without raising the question of why he hasn't already taken over the world.

And in Underworld, if memory serves, the lords rotate because they are all ancient and godly but couldn't rule at the same time without having the power structure implode.
Classic hubris!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Supreme Allah posted:

Marsellus was a consistent gently caress up. He

a) managed to lose an extraordinarily valuable briefcase to a group of amateurs.

b) trusted a junkie hep cat to look after his wife which almost got her killed.

c) got clowned for a lot of money by Butch in a scam to lay down in a boximg match.

d) found a way to get rear end raped on a donut run.

Yeah Jules, he does look like a bitch since you mention it.

I don't normally find rape jokes funny but this had me giggling.
You know your poo poo at life if you can't pop to a shop without ending up in a situation like that...

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If I was immortal I would probably spend a few hundred years having a big sleep tbh

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

EmmyOk posted:

If I was immortal I would probably spend a few hundred years having a big sleep tbh

Hell, that sounds really nice right now.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Panfilo posted:

I don't see why they don't all just stay awake all the time.

Why don't you just stay awake all the time?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Usually said by people who have never done a core workout in their lives. Prominent abs take work.

Yet very skinny people also have prominent abs. I guess they just get all that core workout from throwing up all the time huh.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Saw Murder, My Sweet the other day and the femme fatale barges in on Philip Marlowe in an undershirt and says something like "you're in pretty good shape for a private eye"

He looks like a dad in his 40s, so it was pretty lol.

Most of the 40's heartthrobs seemed to be like this. You then get to the 50's and you see guys like Marlon Brando who were weight lifting fit and it started to change.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Nutsngum posted:

Yet very skinny people also have prominent abs. I guess they just get all that core workout from throwing up all the time huh.

Not typically, no. You might be able to see their abs, yeah, but typically really skinny untrained people will just look like they would shatter if you punched them in the gut. Prominent abs are sometimes called "3D abs" and definitely require work or genetics of the gods.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Kurtofan posted:

I remember my physics teacher ranting about ER being complete bullshit, while saying that Stargate is a more scientifically realistic show. In my heart he is right

He probably worked on the P-90.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
It Follows was talked about a few pages ago but I want to complain too so here goes.

I watched it the other night and I just did not get it. At no point did I feel anxious or scared for the characters. The thing walks toward you at a moderate pace so anything more than a brisk walk and you can get away from it. You have to gently caress someone for it to stop "chasing" you but if they die it comes after you again.

In the near end scene the main girl is in the pool with electronics all around her because ??? They also make a point that when the ghost walks into the pool area they ask her what it looks like and she says she doesn't want to tell them. Why not? Was it someone she knew? I didn't recognize the guy but maybe I missed something.

Someone said that the directors confirmed that it could take a plane if you went overseas. Something just cracks me up about a ghost waiting for then boarding a plane to follow you overseas. If that's the case just bang a pilot or flight attendant. They're always on the move.

The other thing is it got amazing reviews online from Ebert and places like Rotten Tomatoes. Normally I can see a movie and not enjoy it but at least understand why other people did. Maybe I didn't like the actors or the setting or something so it just wasn't for me. I get it. This movie just breaks my brain because I cannot grasp why there's people out there saying how good this is.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Joey Freshwater posted:

Someone said that the directors confirmed that it could take a plane if you went overseas. Something just cracks me up about a ghost waiting for then boarding a plane to follow you overseas. If that's the case just bang a pilot or flight attendant. They're always on the move.

Even better, bang a sailor or someone who works on a ship. Out for weeks or months out at sea.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It was the main girl's dad. There is like a several second close-up of a family photo to emphasize this. So something that looks like her dad is trying to chase her down in order to brutally gently caress her to death.

It Follows 2: Son of Follows should be about a sailor and/or pilot who has hosed someone being chased by It and then being stuck on a plane or ship with it.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Joey Freshwater posted:

The other thing is it got amazing reviews online from Ebert and places like Rotten Tomatoes. Normally I can see a movie and not enjoy it but at least understand why other people did. Maybe I didn't like the actors or the setting or something so it just wasn't for me. I get it. This movie just breaks my brain because I cannot grasp why there's people out there saying how good this is.

Same. It was just an awful nonsensical movie. One of the girls looks up information on her birth control pack for some reason? They plan to kill the big bad by dropping a dozen electric devices in an olympic pool, and don't even follow through with that?

I know it's supposed to be a movie about ~*social issues*~ but it went about it in the most ham-handed yet incomprehensible manner possible.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I just watched the 85 version of the Blob and while I loved every second at one point Kevin Dillon one hands a bazooka in an enclosed space and not only isn't cooked alive and permanently deafened but pretty much a ok.

On the other hand who gives a gently caress because this movie is god drat amazing.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
To be fair, every movie probably shows rocket launchers wrong in some way. The only time you see backblast is for dark comedic purposes, and the projectile usually flies along pretty lazily so the hero can jump out of the way.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
They should do a version of It Follows where the protagonist is a total shut in neckbeard who gets gently caress-haunted the first time he has sex and is unlikely to ever find anyone else to sleep with.

preemptive "Guess I better sign up for the role" etc.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It Follows is good. Sense is pretty overrated.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Why don't you just stay awake all the time?

Because I'm not a vampire :colbert:

The power to sleep correlation makes sense. They'd probably want to schedule things in such a way that all three don't end up in turbovampiresleep. Even Odin has to take a siesta every now and then, apparently.

Being unable to share power is kind of weird though. Marcus made Victor a vampire in exchange for sharing his loot and influence, and I can't remember anything about the lady Vampire Lord but I'm assuming she's the Yoko Ono of the trio if the other guys can't stand to be awake at the same time as her.

Bill Nighy did make a good huffy vampire grandpa boss though.

Panfilo has a new favorite as of 04:46 on Oct 21, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gromit posted:

To be fair, every movie probably shows rocket launchers wrong in some way. The only time you see backblast is for dark comedic purposes, and the projectile usually flies along pretty lazily so the hero can jump out of the way.

I honestly didn't know, until I saw a Mythbusters episode, just how goddamn fast RPGs are.

In movies, and games, you can see the projectile flying towards you.

In reality something like an RPG7 travels at 295 meters per second. Which is in the (low) range of how fast a rifle bullet can travel.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Not typically, no. You might be able to see their abs, yeah, but typically really skinny untrained people will just look like they would shatter if you punched them in the gut. Prominent abs are sometimes called "3D abs" and definitely require work or genetics of the gods.

You do realize youre arguing that a guy who is supposed to be fit enough to scale a two story house with little effort wouldnt have abs even with low body fat right.

Nutsngum has a new favorite as of 06:57 on Oct 21, 2015

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
As much flak as she gets, Anne Rice also had a good take on the sleeping Vampire trope. In her novels they basically get bored as poo poo after awhile and sleep for decades or more so that when they wake up there's plenty of new stuff to do and experience. There's also a sub-plot where after a few hundred years they tend to suffer from a severe case of the get-off-my-lawns and get burnt out trying to cope with the changes of the world around them, so going to ground gives them a chance to relax for a bit.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Your Gay Uncle posted:

So I just watched the 85 version of the Blob and while I loved every second at one point Kevin Dillon one hands a bazooka in an enclosed space and not only isn't cooked alive and permanently deafened but pretty much a ok.

On the other hand who gives a gently caress because this movie is god drat amazing.

I've never seen that one but the original is loving great.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Nutsngum posted:

You do realize youre arguing that a guy who is supposed to be fit enough to scale a two story house with little effort wouldnt have abs even with low body fat right.

Yeah, no, that's not what I'm arguing. In fact I'm not arguing at all, especially because this is not YLLS and I don't care

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Frostwerks posted:

It's definitely worth a watch. I mean, I'm going by a very old memory but I recall it having some very unpleasant deaths that make you wince.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Yeah, no, that's not what I'm arguing. In fact I'm not arguing at all, especially because this is not YLLS and I don't care

But thats what the argument was about so thanks for playing?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Nutsngum posted:

But thats what the argument was about so thanks for playing?

:hfive:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Esroc posted:

As much flak as she gets, Anne Rice also had a good take on the sleeping Vampire trope. In her novels they basically get bored as poo poo after awhile and sleep for decades or more so that when they wake up there's plenty of new stuff to do and experience. There's also a sub-plot where after a few hundred years they tend to suffer from a severe case of the get-off-my-lawns and get burnt out trying to cope with the changes of the world around them, so going to ground gives them a chance to relax for a bit.

In the RPG books for Vampire: The Masquerade/Requiem, Vampire gain "Blood Potency" as a natural progression of experience (The game has no character levels). The higher your BP, the longer you spend asleep if you are staked or otherwise go into Torpor.
That brings a lot of Bad poo poo as the older you are, the higher chance you will gain a mental derangement. The ancients have lost all their humanity and, when they do occasionally wake up, they are an unstoppable eating death machine. Thankfully it only happens every thousand years or so and when they are done they just turn into mist and drift away or meld back into the earth. Some of them don't even give a poo poo about sunlight.

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit
On the topic of blood, it always bothered me that whenever a character in a movie has to swear some kind of blood oath or something they almost always draw their own blood by cutting the palm of their hand. Its never like a small cut either. That seems like a really annoying place to have a self-inflicted wound since you generally use that part of your hand to, you know, grab things. Maybe like the back of the hand or outside of the forearm would be better?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Cutting your palm is so you can shake hands or hold hands like it's a really primal image and cutting the palm like you don't feel pain is intimidating in how bad rear end it looks.
Imagine them touching bloody elbows or some dumb poo poo. That's the dumb thing you want. The literal only reason to do this is to swear to kill all your enemies together. How are you going to make a powerful statement like a blood oath and you're too afraid of a scab on a sensitive part of your body.
Don't do blood oaths in real life that's unsanitary and gross but for movies it's gotta be the palm.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
There's that whole bloodletting into a bowl scene in Assault on Precinct 13 where one character slaps a vein on his arm then cuts his forearm to bleed himself but then he has to let it all dribble down his arm and over his hand so it wasn't so efficient after all

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I always thought the palm thing was so continuity wouldn't be a big problem - how often do you see the palm of a character's hand? Like that dumb poo poo when people write their number on the palm of someone's hand, the dumbest place to put it. Jesus that annoys the poo poo out of me.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
In Robin Hood Prince of Thieves Kevin Costner swears a blood oath on his father's grave and then next scene he has a bandage/wrapping on his hand, I think the scene after that they probably forget about it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

donquixotic posted:

In Robin Hood Prince of Thieves Kevin Costner swears a blood oath on his father's grave and then next scene he has a bandage/wrapping on his hand, I think the scene after that they probably forget about it

I saw this the other day and all I could think was that it was a really stupid place for an archer to cut himself.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DecentHairJelly posted:

On the topic of blood, it always bothered me that whenever a character in a movie has to swear some kind of blood oath or something they almost always draw their own blood by cutting the palm of their hand. Its never like a small cut either. That seems like a really annoying place to have a self-inflicted wound since you generally use that part of your hand to, you know, grab things. Maybe like the back of the hand or outside of the forearm would be better?

It's even stupider than you think, you're incredibly likely to sever the tendons in your hand doing this since they are literally skin deep. Your hand would rendered useless almost instantly.
The ending of Constantine touches on this when Keaunu Reeves slots his wrists to summon the Devil. He can barely use his hand since he severed the tendon by cutting too deeply.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

DecentHairJelly posted:

Star Trek Nemesis was one of the worst offenders for this. Evil Picard slices up his hand and gives them a bloody knife just for a DNA sample, despite a few skin cells being enough even at our current level of technology.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Tom Hardy told you he was hardcore.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Frostwerks posted:

Catchiest horror theme song, too.
https://youtu.be/-I3VHKO3qGM

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
In the John Wayne movie Hondo , an Indian Chief becomes blood brothers with a young boy by poking their thumbs and holding them together. Seems a lot more realistic than the usual palm laceration.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Hell, I have issues in the real world with people wanting blood samples by pricking my thumbs.

Seriously people, why not poke somewhere which doesn't have a huge density of never endings? Here, jab my forearm, it'll still bleed for you and won't make typing annoying for the rest of the day.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I'm not a medical professoinal, but aren't thumbs pricked because the skin is reasonably thick so you won't damage anything underneath and there's no risk of getting a minor vein or artery on the print of your thumb so it will stop bleeding quicker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes it's just to let you know something wicked this way comes...

:haw: