Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I appreciate the pigeon love itt but some day when I have a tiled room with a drain in the middle of the floor and some perches on the wall and some Dominican lady in my employ to take care of the day to day BS I'm going to have a small flock of human attenuated kakerteels in thar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO1NvBd72L4

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Birds were on the radio today!

http://www.npr.org/2015/10/20/450038490/flights-of-fancy-exploring-the-songs-and-pathways-of-the-living-bird

Terry Gross made all these guys make bird calls even though they didn't want to.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Cuckoo posted:

They actually probably got that reputation because in big cities they literally are 'rats with wings', spreading disease and grossness by literally coating places in their putrid bird poo poo. I'm not saying pigeons are bad, it's just kind of like feral cats vs. pet cats where the former may technically be the same animal but are a huge pest to humans/the environment. Hell, even pigeon's city-clogging pest cousins rats could be either a gigantic pest/disease carrier or a great pet depending on if it's wild or not.

Once a momma pigeon laid eggs on our terrace and I raised hell when my mother tried to get rid of the eggs. We let her raise her babies on our astroturf and she/her babies came back for a few years :3: Honestly don't know if I could own a domesticated one though, my city sense would just think "ew".

They actually don't transmit diseases (except in extraordinarily rare cases, like astronomically rare), as I mentioned that's an old wives tale with no real merit.

As far as them being pests, I get why people don't like them pooping all over, but it's a pretty minor offense with very few actual consequences that I can tell. Their droppings normally don't smell, don't harm anyone (the exception being if all the right conditions come together and produce a growth of mold on their poop, which just does not happen under normal circumstances) and there are plenty of other creatures that poop in public areas and are not reviled for it.

I get why rats are considered pests, as they can damage structures, infest the interiors of buildings and chew through wires/eat your food. Pigeons poop in outdoor public places that aren't exactly clean in the first place and occasionally it might get on your car or body; personally I spend way more time with birds than the average person and I haven't been pooped on by a wild bird of any kind in as long as I can remember (not that bird poop bothers me).

They're not actually related to rats at all, and the way I look at it is that humans tend to be somewhat detached from nature and living creatures. Pigeons might not be exotic or rare, but I think they're endearing, fun to watch and are one of the very few animals that people come into close contact with on a regular basis; I enjoy that contact and wish that more people would take the time to consider them rather than hating them because they got poop on their jacket.

As far as them being dirty, they're only as dirty as the environment they live in, which is ultimately not their fault. Any animal will only be as clean as where it lives, and if a pigeon is living in a filthy subway they're going to be dirty (but not at all hazardous to your health). Pigeons actually spend a huge amount of their time cleaning themselves and bathing, and enjoy being clean if it's possible, but if all they have is fetid, polluted water to bathe in then it won't do much good.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Pigeons in large numbers can and do transmit diseases to people. Various avian flus are the obvious current concern, but in the old days many cities had to contend with bird mite infestations that were always caused either by pigeons or someone having a loving chicken farm on top of NYC apartment building.

I'm not saying they're as dirty as a rat, obviously a rat is dirty as it has to drag its furry body all over the ground and go into dirty holes all the time whereas a pigeon merely slogs through the greasy air, but they can be an actual health issue.

In any case I support all birds and suggest that people be nice to them because birds are good. However please do not go to the park and empty a gladbag of old bread onto the corner every day because you have religiious beliefs vaguely related to reincarnation that state you're helping a bad grandpa out in this life and getting yourself some karma kredits for your next one.

I ate pigeon one time in an Egyptian restaruant it was pretty oily but it tasted okay.

Piegons are an okay bird and an overall pretty great animal.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

pigeons are cool and I like to see them strut around like they own the place then get spooked or hosed up and fly off

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Cowman posted:

pigeons are cool and I like to see them strut around like they own the place then get spooked or hosed up and fly off

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmeUSSEaxfQ
:mad:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
At least we can all agree that cockatiels are objectively fuckin' fantastic, right?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Concurrent with ownership of The Very Smart Cockatiel (for a Cockatiel Anyway) we also owned The Very Dumb Cockatiel. One of TVDC's most infamous stunts was the time she saw her own shadow act in a terribly offensive and frightening manner and immediately scurried into an adjacent wall, stunning herself for a good twenty minutes.

The bird in the above image I would rate at at least and A- but probably A class cockatiel as he is considering the ontological f actualities of shadows.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sheep-Goats posted:

Concurrent with ownership of The Very Smart Cockatiel (for a Cockatiel Anyway) we also owned The Very Dumb Cockatiel. One of TVDC's most infamous stunts was the time she saw her own shadow act in a terribly offensive and frightening manner and immediately scurried into an adjacent wall, stunning herself for a good twenty minutes.
Yeah I mean... when I say the cockatiel is the smartest non-human in the house, that's not a high bar because the cat is just this side of being completely incompetent.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Look at this lovely mutant pigeon I saw outside work today

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I see a bird like that I'm not afraid to let him know "Yo you hosed up bro" even tho its a little unkind

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sheep-Goats posted:

I see a bird like that I'm not afraid to let him know "Yo you hosed up bro" even tho its a little unkind

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

3D GAY WORLD posted:

They're not actually related to rats at all

no way, youre full of poo poo

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
i want to be friends with geese, and be able to just chill with a goose posse whenever i'm on break so that nobody can make me go back to work

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

klapman posted:

i want to be friends with geese, and be able to just chill with a goose posse whenever i'm on break so that nobody can make me go back to work
May I advise a cockatoo instead

They are smarter, louder and capable of doing more damage than dumb walking foie gras

And as an added bonus they are always ready to party

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

Pigeons in large numbers can and do transmit diseases to people. Various avian flus are the obvious current concern, but in the old days many cities had to contend with bird mite infestations that were always caused either by pigeons or someone having a loving chicken farm on top of NYC apartment building.

I'm not saying they're as dirty as a rat, obviously a rat is dirty as it has to drag its furry body all over the ground and go into dirty holes all the time whereas a pigeon merely slogs through the greasy air, but they can be an actual health issue.

In any case I support all birds and suggest that people be nice to them because birds are good. However please do not go to the park and empty a gladbag of old bread onto the corner every day because you have religiious beliefs vaguely related to reincarnation that state you're helping a bad grandpa out in this life and getting yourself some karma kredits for your next one.

I ate pigeon one time in an Egyptian restaruant it was pretty oily but it tasted okay.

Piegons are an okay bird and an overall pretty great animal.

Fair point, large amounts of pigeons can create quite a bit of dander and can sometimes be host to things like bird mites, but the ultimate danger or risk they pose to people is negligible in most cases, with the exception of some specific situations. You mentioned avian flu, but that's incredibly rare and is in almost all instances something that people who work in the poultry industry are at any risk off. You have to be in close proximity to a huge number of bird droppings for extended periods of time to really have a chance at exposure.
Some people seem to think that getting a disease from touching a pigeon is an actual thing to be concerned about, when statistically you're vastly more likely to contract an illness via contact with a cat or dog than via contact with a pigeon.

Regarding bread, you reminded me of a good piece of info; bread is bad for birds and can cause serious illness. For some reason people assume because ducks, pigeons and other birds eat bread that it's their favorite, when the truth is that their bodies are simply not designed to digest wheat products. If you like feeding the birds, I highly recommend using some kind of seed (not roasted though, raw. Roasted seeds are basically like rocks to their digestive system), but if you don't have anything like that and you have to go with more convenient food, try something like corn bread, banana bread, etc. At the least give them something like a cookie that has sugar and/or nutrients that they can actually use effectively.

Chocolate and avocado is poisonous to most birds though, so no chocolate chip cookies.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Whatev posted:

Look at this lovely mutant pigeon I saw outside work today

That's a baby pigeon, probably about five weeks old; they're called squeakers because of reasons that are probably fairly obvious, and they make adorable squeaks until they're about eight or nine weeks old.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Tendai posted:

At least we can all agree that cockatiels are objectively fuckin' fantastic, right?

cockatiels are cool as are crows, but pigeons are poo poo

and about the feeding thing, if you throw food to birds, rats will also eat part of the food so you're also making the rat infestation worse

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I really want to get a bird but all my friends say all they do is poo poo and scream. How exactly do you train a bird?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Over There posted:

I really want to get a bird but all my friends say all they do is poo poo and scream. How exactly do you train a bird?

Birds don't really understand negative reinforcement, they just think you hate them for no reason if you try it. You catch them doing something vaguely right and reward them for it and mold their behavior that way. You need a clicker so you can ID the exact thing that is good. It's also helpful if their normal food is pellets so that you can reward then with a seed or some certain fruit that they love (varies by bird) as they like food more than head scratches.

A really smart bird can be taught the word "no" like a dog can but they seem to refuse to connect that to behavior modification. Also some birds are hard wired to be a little noisy at dusk and dawn so keeping them in the bedroom is a bad idea and if they're passionate about discolored sunlight you need to put a blanket over their cage at night to help simmer that down.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
if you don't want to put up with making GBS threads and screaming please don't get a bird. they are super involved pets.

i've had a gc conure, fisher's lovebird and a teil and not had a clean floor, a quiet house or a meal without a bird sitting in it for many years.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Robo Reagan posted:

rats are legit super intelligent creatures and make awesome pets but that doesnt make them not a pest

appropriate in the bird thread because rats will poop and pee all over you also

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The Goatfather posted:

My experience with pet rats did not ever include being pooped or peed on, despite daily handling.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

The Goatfather posted:

rats dont scream tho

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I volunteered at an animal rescue and they had a cool pigeon but he would never ever ever not be cooing. Wasn't as loud as a parrot but it got super annoying if you wee on the same room as him for an extended period of time

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
i had a shower with my tiel the other day.

don't judge me.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Cockateils love gettin in that falling water

The aforementioned Very Dumb Cockatiel was not good at bathing. Instead of flopping around in the water and tossing it up onto her back like normal teils do when given a dish of warm water she would just stand in it and and rock her breast back and forth in it like a chef's knife, cleanly wetting the two front columns of chest feathers and nothing else, so that afterward she had a pin stripe neat racing stripe.

raton fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 21, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sheep-Goats posted:

Cockateils love gettin in that falling water

The aforementioned Very Dumb Cockatiel was not good at bathing. Instead of flopping around in the water and tossing it up onto her back like normal teils do when given a dish of warm water she would just stand in it and and rock her breast back and forth in it like a chef's knife, cleanly wetting the two front columns of chest feathers and nothing else, so that afterward she had a pin stripe neat racing stripe.
Judah will start doing that bathing flailing when it's raining.

He is not outside in the rain.

Ten years on, and it seems to have yet to dawn on him that he never actually gets wet during these baths.

Nascardad
Oct 22, 2009

"Racing is in my blood, I can't quite get out of it yet"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcoqeNdMAfA

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
:agreed:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Obscuritatem posted:

if you don't want to put up with making GBS threads and screaming please don't get a bird. they are super involved pets.

i've had a gc conure, fisher's lovebird and a teil and not had a clean floor, a quiet house or a meal without a bird sitting in it for many years.

Yeah with a few exceptions anything in the parrot family will be more work than a cat and objectively, more than a dog. Probably more expense too between initial purchase, supplies, and exotic vet bills.

Even the little guys like cockatiels can be bitey or screamy. They're a commitment.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The full video is even better. Little dude is so happy about his paper towel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_-4KArFR08

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

i like this thread very much, thank you for all the bird videos, the WOOHOO bird is my favorite so far

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

A Spider Covets posted:

i like this thread very much, thank you for all the bird videos, the WOOHOO bird is my favorite so far
Birds are pretty great yes woohoo!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Tendai posted:

The full video is even better. Little dude is so happy about his paper towel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_-4KArFR08

lol

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ha, what are those

• Locked thread