Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Playing this game really brings to light how interesting the Warhammer Lore is. It sure is a shame Warhammer Online turned out to be a piece of poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Darke GBF posted:

I want a Lizardman with a polearm and possibly javelins for a ranged option. Make it happen.

Hell yeah let me be a saurus and fight with tooth and nail.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

And that GW blew the whole setting up. That was also pretty dumb.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I want an orc as a playable character but an extremely confused, time-traveled 40K orc that isn't sure why he is here but really doesn't give a drat because there's still stuff to chop.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I want an orc as a playable character but an extremely confused, time-traveled 40K orc that isn't sure why he is here but really doesn't give a drat because there's still stuff to chop.

Well I mean that basically describes Fantasy orcs perfectly. Who cares, use dat choppa!

An orc would be great because it means there might be a WAAAAGH heading towards the city. Which would solve one problem nicely while creating an entirely new on. :v:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
He even starts with 1d10 dead rats. :allears:

This is the class I want the most. Just some scruffy peasant who's seen this poo poo before schooling folks on rat lore while beating skaven to death with a stick. The Small but Vicious Dog could even be directed to go after specific enemies with that special attack button no one but the Witch Hunter uses. It, of course, would be an invincible murder-terrier.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean it's a canon detail that the Rat Catchers have been fighting a secret, heavily covered up war with the Skaven for ages and their guilds have saved the world multiple times already.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
As much as I am a big fan of greenskins: A witch hunter tolerating a snooty elf and bright wizard with flustered indignance seems at least vaguely reasonable. I don't think the dwarf would be as okay with a orc. I mean, there's a difference between "I'm suspicious of these crafty tree folk but will tolerate them / I'm suspicious of this person who flirts with dangerous magic daily but will tolerate them" and "I can totally fight side-by-side with basically the oldest enemy my people have ever had, who have destroyed whole cities of my brethren, which I probably remember personally, because I'm like hundreds of years old."

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Considering the first entry in the Book of Grudges is probably "all greenskins ever for being generally huge bastards to dwarfkind" that does make it a little more difficult to put an orc in. There are plenty of other awesome characters they could put in, but I'll always pine for the greenskin that got away.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Easy fix would be to introduce full friendly fire but only between orc and dwarf.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Put in a second elf that knows the first elf and isn't afraid to divulge her embarassing secrets.

"Oh, Kerillian, I remember when you were off puking in the bushes after three minutes into the Autumn Festival!"

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Given how badly the idea of a cage freaks the elf out I'm guessing she's had a run in with Dark Elfs

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Red Mundus posted:

Easy fix would be to introduce full friendly fire but only between orc and dwarf.

On a related note, I wasn't ready for friendly fire being a thing on Nightmare

Then I threw an improved bomb at a couple of stormvermin my bots were engaged with

that ended poorly

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
give the orc and dwarf a special revive animation where instead of picking them up they kick them until they stand back up

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

President Ark posted:

give the orc and dwarf a special revive animation where instead of picking them up they kick them until they stand back up

"You thwack have thwack the thwack damned thwack tome thwack you thwack son thwack of thwack a thwack bitch"

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
They already have a vampire in the group, so a playable one would be nice.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Vampires are individually some of the most powerful things in the setting. Way above the likes of a human soldier or witch hunter.

Magile
May 20, 2008

Dezztroy posted:

Who is the vampire in the group? I know some folks alluded to the coach rider since the horses are spectral (but I thought they looked more like fill-in models, so I never considered it).

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.

President Ark posted:

I think there is a special animation when witch hunter revive bright wizard. He slaps her rear end gently.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Dezztroy posted:

If you mean Olysseya then nah, she aint a vampire. She is just from not-russia (Kislev) and got gifted spectral horses by a wandering Amethyst Wizard. She is a smuggler, informant and bit of an rear end kicker according to the story, but not a vampire.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

ellbent posted:

As much as I am a big fan of greenskins: A witch hunter tolerating a snooty elf and bright wizard with flustered indignance seems at least vaguely reasonable. I don't think the dwarf would be as okay with a orc. I mean, there's a difference between "I'm suspicious of these crafty tree folk but will tolerate them / I'm suspicious of this person who flirts with dangerous magic daily but will tolerate them" and "I can totally fight side-by-side with basically the oldest enemy my people have ever had, who have destroyed whole cities of my brethren, which I probably remember personally, because I'm like hundreds of years old."

They could just do a 'villains' expansion and have you play as the evil versions of the characters(Orc warrior/State Trooper, Dwarf ranger/Chaos Chosen etc) doing exactly the same maps. The comedy option would be to have the Ork as a DLC skin for the state trooper but completely covered in heavy armour and have everyone oblivious to his status as an Orc.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

BombiTheZombie posted:

If you mean Olysseya then nah, she aint a vampire. She is just from not-russia (Kislev) and got gifted spectral horses by a wandering Amethyst Wizard. She is a smuggler, informant and bit of an rear end kicker according to the story, but not a vampire.

Oh. I heard Kerillian say something along the lines of "I can't believe I'm happy to see a creature as vile as you" when we made it to the escape once and figured that was a hint to Olesya being a vampire.

Then again, I suppose she finds all humans to be vile creatures.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
WFB have freebooter orks or whatever like in wh40k?

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Drythe posted:

I really wanted to play Skaven or Vampire Counts before too.

skaven were great. DId they ruin skaven too?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Al Borland posted:

skaven were great. DId they ruin skaven too?

They ruined all the old armies. But on the plus side, Skaven have an unavoidable, unpreventable turn 1 win!

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

rezatahs posted:

Rats now rain down on the horn. You can still stand on it but I wouldn't recommend it.

The horn part is super easy imo you just have a shield guard the stairs with someone while the others cover their backs. If you position it right you're fine.

President Ark posted:

They ruined all the old armies. But on the plus side, Skaven have an unavoidable, unpreventable turn 1 win!

thats awful. I loved skaven I think I have a doomwheel somewhere. I knew this guy who loving crafted a huge skaven army and even made his own like doom bell set from pink foam and painted it. It was really well done

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

BombiTheZombie posted:

She also drives a Vampire Count black coach.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Improbable Lobster posted:

poo poo I should have realized she was driving a giant coffin. Oh man...

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

No she doesn't, it's just a big coach. Drawn by spectral steeds enchanted by a wizard.

If it was a Black Coach there'd be a coffin with a temporarily dead vampire in it.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

BombiTheZombie posted:

If the elf dies they all make a remark in the lines of "There goes the elf" or somesuch.

basically sums up my experience with pubbie elf players

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Given how badly the idea of a cage freaks the elf out I'm guessing she's had a run in with Dark Elfs

Or maybe she's just played one too many Blood Bowl matches against Dwarves.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Coolguye posted:

They could fix it by adding some wooden lattice around the corner of that entire little platform you come out on pretty simply. You'd just have to jump down through a smaller opening. Thing is, that setup has the potential to fail if the horn guy misses his jump, and packing into that little room makes you horrifyingly vulnerable to a gasrat. It's not the practically guaranteed victory that you had when chilling under the horn. Probably a lot better than hanging out on the stairs, though.

From a few pages back but we got gassed in that room and hiding near the corner (even 2ft from the gas) meant it did nothing, plus the room is pretty deep lengthways

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
It's amazing what a difference some good equipment and knowledge of the level can do. I had a game with two new players and a bot and managed to complete the horn level on Normal when a good elf player joined just before the finale. Along the way I witnessed the bright wizard not understanding the overheat thing and blowing themselves up repeatedly, suicidal attacks against stormvermin patrols, fighting a rat ogre indoors, people wandering off at cut off points and lighting the gate barrels on fire. Not a word was spoken until the end. At the tower defense the two new guys got things figured out and did really well, then they got lost trying to get to the elevator. Thankfully it's a short run to the coach.

In a way it was fun to be the hero sniping hookrats and watching everyone's backs, but on the other had it makes me a bit worried for the game's future. Even if item progress is reset come release, there's gonna be a big gulf between new players and guys who regularly grind the game with bots for l00t. It might be pretty tough to get into this game if you join later. Even the elf player in the game I described started to lose their temper despite having been with the team for only about five minutes. Hopefully the full game will have a good tutorial like Nosgoth so that new people won't be driven out by "veterans" getting pissy about suboptimal performances.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
If experienced players are playing Normal they've only themselves to blame if they're paired with newbies.

Vargs posted:

Or maybe she's just played one too many Blood Bowl matches against Dwarves.

I want a Dungeonbowl player Class, in a game that's gone horribly wrong. Like all Dungeonbowl games.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Stormgale posted:

From a few pages back but we got gassed in that room and hiding near the corner (even 2ft from the gas) meant it did nothing, plus the room is pretty deep lengthways

You can also hang out in the larger area just outside the ammo box room, which works about as well and gives you a lot more space to work with. Gotta be aware of the very small handful of rats that occasionally trickle in through the door on the right, but the few times that I've used this strategy, it hasn't been bad at all. It also lets people spread out a bit so we aren't shoving one another around, filling teammates' screens with particle effects, and blocking shots. I think I like it a bit more.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I used to have real trouble beating that horn finale until I used the potion of speed trick. Even if a gasser pops down he just lobs it at the entrance of the stairs and then everyone unloads on the stairs until its definitely dead, so its fine.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Bussamove posted:

Considering the first entry in the Book of Grudges is probably "all greenskins ever for being generally huge bastards to dwarfkind" that does make it a little more difficult to put an orc in. There are plenty of other awesome characters they could put in, but I'll always pine for the greenskin that got away.

There's an obvious solution there: Just make it the fantasy version of the 40k ork kommando*, cleverly disguised as an overgrown halfling. The rest of the group tries its best to convince the dwarf that this halfling is only green because he's getting a bit sick from all these rats, you see.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Screw that, we need to call in an expert!

And a High Elf White Lion or Swordmaster of Hoeth. Really, any High Elf would do, but preferably not a Wizard.

I want them to add the iconic WFRP careers and give every faction with a Mordheim army list its own playable character. Give me a dark elf noble with longsword and repeating crossbow, specifically. Also, a Bretonnian knight who's a total idiot.

Rat Catcher is definitely the most important initially, though.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'd play the hell out of a warrior priest, but he'd be hard to differentiate from the soldier. They're probably going to add another bow focused human character and another mage first though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean the party is already basically a high level WFRP party as it is. Champion, Dwarf Champion down a different career route, Master Wizard, Witch Hunter, and Waywatcher? We just skipped the shitfarmer tier and got right to 'Okay, your PCs can kill infinity ratmen.'

• Locked thread