Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wonderful :allears:

Paladinus posted:

Canada is insanely good.

Compared to America.

We have a problem in Canada though and that problem is complacency. People love to crow about how we're better than America at something and then ignore all the problems in that thing and never try to improve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

vyelkin posted:

We have a problem in Canada though and that problem is complacency.

In Kazakhstan, the problem is transport.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

vyelkin posted:

We have a problem in Canada though and that problem is complacency. People love to crow about how we're better than America at something and then ignore all the problems in that thing and never try to improve it.

It's a problem I'm willing to ignore.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

vyelkin posted:

Wonderful :allears:

Or act all smug while benefiting from right wing policies in the US. See: Health research and National Security

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Nearly, what...ten years?, of Harper have kinda eroded my view of Canada as some mythical liberal Eden. I wouldn't argue it's still better in many ways, but yeah.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Huh. I guess there are things both parties can agree on, after all.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rorus Raz posted:

Only posting this to shame the artist for missing the incredibly easy joke of "Trumpkin"

Thank you for loving Trumpkin.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

D.N. Nation posted:

The gnashing of teeth from middle-aged hack cartoonists about the print edition of Playboy getting rid of naked breasts is...telling.

This isn't really fair... Playboy had enormous cultural influence for many years, and now it's a big nothing. I don't think these cartoons are "gnashing of teeth" as much as "a thing happened".

Also, dirty magazines are inherently funny, so I can't blame them for trying squeeze a little humor out of the situation.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Squashy Nipples posted:

This isn't really fair... Playboy had enormous cultural influence for many years, and now it's a big nothing. I don't think these cartoons are "gnashing of teeth" as much as "a thing happened".

Also, dirty magazines are inherently funny, so I can't blame them for trying squeeze a little humor out of the situation.

I've seen enough work from our regulars to think that they're less Joseph Heller and Kurt Vonnegut were published in Playboy and now it's a shame no one cares about it and more BUT WHAT ABOUT DEM TITTIES???.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

vyelkin posted:

I understood that to be the joke in the first panel of that Bors.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Republican strategy seems to be repeating a lie enough until people believe it.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

So is he saying that the anti-Islam film maker guy was working for Clinton or something? Only thing I can get from it is some anti-Hilldawg conspiracy or just a mixed gag bag.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

So he realises congressional hearings aren't a court of law right. Hillary isn't on trial.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Aw, Branco's feelings would be hurt if he were smart enough to understand the part of the article about the candidates appealing to stupid people.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

"Ahmed's clock was actually a bomb, because Ahmed is a terrorist, because Ahmed is a Muslim" --every single right-wing cartoonist in America

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I don't even know what the latest Benghazi conspiracy theory is anymore. Do they think Hillary secretly encouraged it to happen? Or that she didn't do enough to prevent it? Or that it was a cover for something else?

I know there was the "this was a terrorist attack and you're downplaying it by calling it a violent protest about a movie" angle, but that is really old and I don't even know what the hell they're claiming anymore, which means their attempt at making her look bad is failing.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Rorus Raz posted:

It's Fat Terrorist! I love good ol' Fat Terrorist.

God, I hate government involvement except in administering our ruinous perpetual war.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

alnilam posted:

I don't even know what the latest Benghazi conspiracy theory is anymore. Do they think Hillary secretly encouraged it to happen? Or that she didn't do enough to prevent it? Or that it was a cover for something else?

I know there was the "this was a terrorist attack and you're downplaying it by calling it a violent protest about a movie" angle, but that is really old and I don't even know what the hell they're claiming anymore, which means their attempt at making her look bad is failing.

The conspiracy theory is "Hillary Bad."

Also it usually has something to do with the US's magic instant response teams that can teleport anywhere in the world on command, yet for some reason Hillary didn't order them to teleport to Benghazi and magic everybody to safety with a wave of their Harry Potter wands.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rorus Raz posted:

The Republican strategy seems to be repeating a lie enough until people believe it.

"It's not a lie if you believe it."

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I am really surprised Benghazi has lived this long. Not as a right-wing meme, mind you, considering that Vince Foster and Whitewater still get rbought up in 2015. I mean that actual political action continues regarding it. I figured after Romney got slaughtered for trying to exploit it during the election they quietly stop doing anything about it, and instead they'd just whine until the Clintons are dead.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Does anyone remember what Hillary was supposed to gain by preventing a deus ex machina? I'm losing track of the Benghazi mythos.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rorus Raz posted:

I am really surprised Benghazi has lived this long. Not as a right-wing meme, mind you, considering that Vince Foster and Whitewater still get rbought up in 2015. I mean that actual political action continues regarding it. I figured after Romney got slaughtered for trying to exploit it during the election they quietly stop doing anything about it, and instead they'd just whine until the Clintons are dead.

Don't worry, Chelsea and all of her children will be held responsible until the bloodline is extinguished.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Rorus Raz posted:

I guess by now they've put so much effort into making Benghazi an issue that they can't just quietly drop it. Their base expects them to do something about it, even if that something is a bunch of useless hearings which waste everyone's time.

The general public doesn't seem to care all that much, though. Hillary's emails were a much bigger topic in the last few months than Benghazi. But who knows, maybe that'll change in January when Michael Bay's Benghazi film is released.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 21, 2015

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Rorus Raz posted:

So Allie put out the same cartoon he's been putting out this whole year. Taxes still bad.

IN WHICH Allie drew some Big Lebowski fanart, realized he wouldn't get paid for it unless he made it political somehow, and shoehorned in something about blah blah taxes bad

(also it would really suit his worldview to assert that the Dude is a die-hard liberal so I'm not sure why he's so desperate to claim him for the Republican banner)
(Walter is absolutely a Republican though)

quote:

:allears:.

It's always the people who say the phrase "race card" the most who dive at the chance to play it themselves

"Just because I drew Obama as a witch doctor doesn't mean I'm racist, it just means I disapprove of Obamacare :rolleyes:"
*two seconds later*
"Ben Carson is black, therefore if you dislike him you are a racist no matter what your reason is, QED :smug:"

Branco pulled the same poo poo with Cain in 2012 IIRC

e:

Samuel Clemens posted:

Hillary's emails were a much bigger topic in the last few months than Benghazi.

You forgot, they convinced everyone that the emails are a big topic because of Benghazi. Hillary is covering up the Benghazi Truth by hiding it on her own server / making it too vulnerable to hackers / whatever it is she is supposed to have done wrong

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Dr Cheeto posted:

Does anyone remember what Hillary was supposed to gain by preventing a deus ex machina? I'm losing track of the Benghazi mythos.

Obama either needed to engineer a terrorist attack in order to make people rally behind him to get elected or to make it look like it was just people angry about an internet video and definitely wasn't a terrorist attack depending on who you ask. Hillary is involved because she is evil and also because she was helping Obama.

Considering that Romney couldn't contain his glee after the attack and people died since he figured it was going to catapult him in the polls it's more projection of their own loathsome behavior.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

loquacius posted:

IN WHICH Allie drew some Big Lebowski fanart, realized he wouldn't get paid for it unless he made it political somehow, and shoehorned in something about blah blah taxes bad

(also it would really suit his worldview to assert that the Dude is a die-hard liberal so I'm not sure why he's so desperate to claim him for the Republican banner)
(Walter is absolutely a Republican though)

I'm willing to give Allie a slight pass here, as a tax on bowling is proposed in Cook County (which includes Chicago). Also, because Big Lebowski.

Wang_Tang
Jan 11, 2004

Cryptologic

loquacius posted:

It's always the people who say the phrase "race card" the most who dive at the chance to play it themselves

"Just because I drew Obama as a witch doctor doesn't mean I'm racist, it just means I disapprove of Obamacare :rolleyes:"
*two seconds later*
"Ben Carson is black, therefore if you dislike him you are a racist no matter what your reason is, QED :smug:"

Branco pulled the same poo poo with Cain in 2012 IIRC

I honestly think it's a reaction to Republicans' opposition of Obama, especially the early years when they really had nothing on him but still hated him with the fury of a thousand suns.

Now they think, "Aha! The shoe is on the other foot! Liberals hate Carson even though he's done nothing! That clearly means they hate him because he's black!" :smug:

It doesn't take much to point out how wrong either statement is though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dr Cheeto posted:

The way I've had it explained to me [1] [2] [3] is that the Obama Administration went through extreme lengths to not call it a terrorist attack because it would have shattered the narrative that they were trying to build that terrorism just wasn't a thing that happened anymore in Obama's America.

Except Obama still won reelection, so

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

gradenko_2000 posted:

The way I've had it explained to me [1] [2] [3] is that the Obama Administration went through extreme lengths to not call it a terrorist attack because it would have shattered the narrative that they were trying to build that terrorism just wasn't a thing that happened anymore in Obama's America.

Except Obama still won reelection, so

How is refusing to call something a terrorist attack possibly illegal or even a "scandal"

better impeach Obama, I highly disapprove of his word choice :colbert:

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

quote:

Western media and politicians cannot see religious belief as a reality. They cannot understand the battle as being beyond politics and economics. They do not understand and cannot conceive that many Muslims view Jewish prophecy as literally real, and possibly a threat to Islamic dominance.
A case in point is the history of one of the gates of the walled city of Jerusalem; the "Golden Gate." For many centuries Jewish and Christian sages have taught that the long awaited Messiah will enter Jerusalem through that gate. Apparently to prevent the entry into Jerusalem by the prophesied "King of the Jews", the Muslims walled-up the gate in 810. When Christian Crusaders took the city they reopened the gate (in 1102). When Saladin conquered Crusader Jerusalem in 1187 he had the gate walled-up again. Later, the Ottoman Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent rebuilt it, together with the city walls, but it was again walled-up by Muslims in 1541, and it has stayed that way until today. Safely protecting Islam from the Messiah ?

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

It is Israel's fault. AGC.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Without looking I'm going to guess JJ McCullough is a gamergator so I hope this really tweaks his fuckin nose

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

So many gizmos nowadays, smh.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

I like that there's someone there to roll his eyes at the comic along with the audience.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Trogdos! posted:

Hodgepodge posted:

I like that there's someone there to roll his eyes at the comic along with the audience.

This accurately portrays discussing politics with family members over Thanksgiving. We aren't so different after all.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

loquacius posted:

You forgot, they convinced everyone that the emails are a big topic because of Benghazi. Hillary is covering up the Benghazi Truth by hiding it on her own server / making it too vulnerable to hackers / whatever it is she is supposed to have done wrong

Oh, so that's what that was all about. I thought the issue was that storing emails on a private server could constitute a security risk.

Saint Sputnik posted:

Without looking I'm going to guess JJ McCullough is a gamergator so I hope this really tweaks his fuckin nose

I doubt JJ is an advocate of Gamergate. That would require him to have an actual opinion on something.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Oh, so that's what that was all about. I thought the issue was that storing emails on a private server could constitute a security risk.

Much like what Obama was supposed to have done wrong w/r/t Benghazi, it differs depending on who you ask and how reasonable they are currently attempting to sound

I think the emails-hiding-Benghazi-truth hypothesis was recently floated by one Stilton Jarlsberg in particular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

You see, that would be an actual legitimate question to raise about the email server issue. But it's not as exciting to the average republican voter as :derp:Benghazi:derp:

• Locked thread