Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

EvilJoven posted:

Apparently the bug we ran in to last night where Bear couldn't see any targets is a known bug in 1.5.

This is the first beta I've seen in a long time that was really a beta and not just a codeword for 'we want tour money now despite our game having little to no content'

No is not bug, is feature. Mother Russia's newest stealth unit: the Optikal Illyushin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I moved my setup to a different room and I now have a stronger wifi signal. Idk if the game is dependent on that even in singleplayer but I'm not getting loading screen lock ups anymore. I even jumped into a 1.5 online match and promptly got my poo poo kicked in.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I could totally see ED doing something like hammering requests for dlc keys every 1 ms to check if your planes are valid.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008
holy poo poo 1.5 is loving gorgeous. even on my ratbag laptop on low settings. can't wait to go home at christmas and run it on my main comp.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Wh1plash posted:

holy poo poo 1.5 is loving gorgeous. even on my ratbag laptop on low settings. can't wait to go home at christmas and run it on my main comp.

Is nice to use 21st century graphics engine comrade

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

McDeth posted:

Is nice to use 21st century graphics engine comrade

no kidding man. its smoother than 1.26 was.

oh, and no crashes so far. *knock on wood*

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Wh1plash posted:

no kidding man. its smoother than 1.26 was.

oh, and no crashes so far. *knock on wood*

Wait, 1.26 ran well? In what hosed up, backwater gaming country do you live where 15 FPS on a monster rig is 'good'???

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

McDeth posted:

Wait, 1.26 ran well? In what hosed up, backwater gaming country do you live where 15 FPS on a monster rig is 'good'???

He must have played lots of FSX or X-Plane.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

1.26 ran okay on my PC once I was up in the air. I definitely don't have a monster rig and had the settings on 1.26 cranked up. Not 60+ FPS though.

Not that I get over 35FPS once I turn on a FLIR mode cuz of the currently existing bug anyway.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

McDeth posted:

i was getting 45-60fps in 1.26 on my main rig. it dropped to 30 fps in big furballs, but was pretty stable. on my laptop 1.26 was unplayable, 1.5 im getting about 40-50fps on low-mid settings on it. I havent tried it on my main rig yet, wont be able to until dec

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008
I get massive stuttering in 1.5 with the A10-C in instant action when I'm just flying around and moving the view. Anyone else experience this? Other than that issue it's running really smoothly.

Edit: It's an intermittent thing, not constant.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

What's your VRAM?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
All this week I wasn't able to take my cold war baby out for a spin, since the game would crash while loading into the 3D world anytime I launched with the Mig-21. Today it started working. I haven't messed with anything and there weren't any patches so... :shrug:

A couple of months not flying and I ended up all "Deer in the Headlights" while trying to remember how to turn off that big camera box stuck in front of the HUD. Overspeeding resulted. Probably won't need those anyway given my usual landings.

Even without tires she's still utterly majestic and full of vacuum tubes.

And of course the one landing I stick without any issue is the one that's going to result in Comrade Sauer's shanking by the ground crew. The sparks may need some more work.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 9, 2015

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

Forums Terrorist posted:

What's your VRAM?

4gb on my machine at home. it only shits the bed on heavy multiplayer stuff or when there is a fuckton of poo poo going on. on my laptop its 2gb, but i havent done any multiplayer yet, mainly bcause its a flaming piece of poo poo and id be lucky i didnt lag out.

Runs BMS fine though lol

Wh1plash fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 10, 2015

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Sauer posted:

Even without tires she's still utterly majestic and full of vacuum tubes.

And vodka. Don't forget the vodka.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Wh1plash posted:

4gb on my machine at home. it only shits the bed on heavy multiplayer stuff or when there is a fuckton of poo poo going on. on my laptop its 2gb, but i havent done any multiplayer yet, mainly bcause its a flaming piece of poo poo and id be lucky i didnt lag out.

Runs BMS fine though lol

Dude no matter how many you look at it the core graphics engine of BMS is still almost like 20 years old lol. 1.5 goes a LONG ways to making DCS playable on a mid range machine but if you're running on a laptop it's still going to be pretty bad :/

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

McDeth posted:

Dude no matter how many you look at it the core graphics engine of BMS is still almost like 20 years old lol. 1.5 goes a LONG ways to making DCS playable on a mid range machine but if you're running on a laptop it's still going to be pretty bad :/

im well aware man. im just saying that its at least playable for me while im in NH until spring. I couldnt play 1.26 previously on it. Can't wait to get home and play it on my main rig

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008
anyone have a good hog profile for su 27/33 or mig 29?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Just curious. Is there any disadvantage to uninstalling the non 1.5 DCS and just using the 1.5 beta? I ask because I only have room for one on my hard drive.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Stability? Currently 1.5 is great but there are some stability issues preventing some people from playing and also issues with things like some targets only showing for the host in MP servers.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Are the stability issues in both SP and MP? I mainly play single player.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's been very stable for me and I mostly just play with the Flaming Cliffs planes on single player. I have jumped into a few MP servers without much trouble. I don't think I could go back to pre 1.5 it's just too pretty.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
My whole thing is I want to fly around and dog fight in the Mig-15 and I figure that it would be more fun if I could actually see the enemy planes.

Ah, that's cool. There is now a built in module downloader.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 20, 2015

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Doing some 1.5 mp stuff in dcs world, who wants to get blown up by sams?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

What's a good HOTAS-pedal set if I want to move beyond my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro? I'm willing to put in some extra $$$ if that means I'll have something that's reliable and won't fall apart 6 months after I get it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
How much are you doing to spend. The Warthog is stupid expensive but I love mine.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

BadOptics posted:

What's a good HOTAS-pedal set if I want to move beyond my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro? I'm willing to put in some extra $$$ if that means I'll have something that's reliable and won't fall apart 6 months after I get it.

If you can find one, the pre-madcatz X-52 pro is pretty ideal on the cost vs usability scale, giving you most of the inputs you need at a great price of $150 or so. They're getting rare now and the build quality on all of Saitek's stuff went down after they got bought.

I have an X-55 and like it but they are not reliable - a lot are defective out of the box and their customer service is awful.

I've heard great things about the CH stuff, they make a stick and throttle that are modeled off the F-16 controls that are supposedly pretty good, but they'll run you a bit more.

Warthog is basically the best out there but is very pricey. Worth it if you're going to spend a lot of time on flight sims in general.

Depending on what you want to fly, the Microsoft Sidewinder force feedback stick is worth picking up. You'll need to get a used or refurbished USB version and they typically run $60 - $100 on eBay etc. Very very worth it for helicopters and I like using it for simpler planes like the Migs, WW2 planes, etc. If you fly the huey a lot it's practically a necessity.

For pedals if you're a reasonably sized person get CH Pro pedals for like $120. If you're a morbidly obese goon the Saitek Pro Combat pedals are wider and probably more comfortable at like $160ish. If you're mister moneybags then you want the MFG Crosswinds, which are hand made to order by a dude in Croatia and have a 6 month wait time. Also they cost as much as a Warthog.

If you don't have a TrackIR you definitely want to buy one. The track clip pro is flimsy as hell so I'd plan on replacing it with a custom thing at some point (like a delan clip).

It is very easy to throw down $1000 on this stuff, I've been incrementally upgrading my stuff and selling off the old gear as I go.

immelman
Oct 6, 2014

BadOptics posted:

I went with CH Products, since they have a reputation for being sturdy and well built. So far I'd agree with that, the pedals feel bomb proof and the stick feels way better than my logitech.
Using Craiglist and Ebay can really keep the cost down. I've bought a CH products Fighterstick, Pedals, Trottle and Yoke over the last few months for $280 CAD, which is about $200 US.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I second the CH stuff. There are probably some better things about the Warthog, but the CH will be way cheaper while still being sturdy as hell.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
If you can swing the Warthog, it's worth it.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Thanks for the inputs! I had read a bit about the Warthog being top dog, but I'll take a look at what CH has to offer and see if I'd rather go with them for the savings (although the 'hog keeps looking more and more worth the upfront investment).

I also got TrackIR a couple months ago so I'm good on that front; was able to comb through youtube and find a few videos that helped me setup and adjust my settings nicely.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

I went from an older X52 to a TM HOTAS Cougar and I love it, though I'm a Falcon BMS apologist fanboy. Same build quality as a Warthog but circa early-2000s and is a pure F-16 HOTAS. May require tinkering and replacement of worn out parts, but mine came in mint condition for something like $225 shipped off ebay.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
hey probably around 6-7 est tomorrow i'm going to host a rookie terrorist dcs 1.5 with ka-50 a10-c su25t and the huey so show up on the mumble if you want to and cross your fingers.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Hell yeah. I'll be there- likely on fire.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
I learned how to turn the nav lights on in the hog! I also killed a bridge and probably a school bus full of children. I'm bad at DCS, still.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

IceLicker posted:

I learned how to turn the nav lights on in the hog! I also killed a bridge and probably a school bus full of children. I'm bad at DCS, still.

I still havent figured that out LOL. I can drop bombs though, Mavericks I always forget to warm em up

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

BadOptics posted:

I will give props to the CH stuff. Its 1000x better than the x-55 in terms of quality, and is built to live through a goddamn 10.0 earthquake. Pedals, can go CH or Saitek, I've had both, CH are bombproof, the saitek combat rudder pedals are comfy though. The ch programming software is better than saiteks for the x-55 as well.

I love my warthog, loving thing is badass and worth every penny of the 425 I paid for it. My only gripe about it is TM's programming software is a relic of the goddamn Cold War.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

You'll go back and forth with yourself about the warthog, and then seriously question your sanity after you order it.

...And then you get the box, and you forget all of that. It's a seriously nice bit of equipment.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
My only complaint about CH Products (At least their flight sticks) is that they look like they are designed by a retarded with downs syndrome.

Seriously, they look like poo poo and their design hasn't changed since my dad played Flight Sim 98. Where da buttons at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The Hog has three lighting presets. Its the pinky switch on the throttle. Lights Off, Standard Formation Lighting, Whatever you set on the lighting panel. So after you mess with the knobs and switches by your right elbow you need to flip the lighting button to the "Lighting Panel" setting.

The TM Warthog is a peripheral I continually can't believe I actually spent money on. Its a hilariously expensive joystick. It is probably the best HOTAS money can buy though. Not just the number of buttons and axis, but also the build quality is top notch and you can use it as a self defense weapon in a home invasion.