Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
They start dropping more often after Mushroom Rock (the next area), it's just that the Kilika-Mi'ihen stretch is pretty sparse on them for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't remember the names or if they're available at that part of the game but there are items and skills you can use to make enemies drops specific types of spheres

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Sunning posted:

Why Did Hideo Kojima Leave Konami? or Local Square-Enix Developer Realizes There Are Consequences For Going Over Budget and Behind Schedule

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/why-did-hideo-kojima-leave-konami

Lightning Returns received mixed reviews for its initial release and I don't see the PC port doing any better. Recently, Final Fantasy has had a very difficult time achieving critical success from reviewers since standards and tastes have changed so much over the years. FFXIV:ARR + Heavensward have been their standout critical success stories.

Lessons I learned while working on Final Fantasy 13 Versus Final Fantasy 15 for the PS3 PS4.txt

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

mycot posted:

Yeah I kinda expected a New Yorker article about video games to end that way.

Haha yes the famously simplistic and war-loving series Metal Gear Solid.

"No great loss to the art," says a guy who makes dating sims and PES knockoffs for phones.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Tempo 119 posted:

Haha yes the famously simplistic and war-loving series Metal Gear Solid.

"No great loss to the art," says a guy who makes dating sims and PES knockoffs for phones.

I was wondering what the gently caress that was about. Like the guy they had just read "takes place in Afghanistan in the 80's" and was like "oh another series where you play another dude going to save America from the brown people."

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

mycot posted:

Yeah I kinda expected a New Yorker article about video games to end that way.

I found Tak Fuji's comments of Konami's old guard struggling to adapt to be more interesting. It's in line with what I've heard from American Konami employees about the infighting amongst the company's developers.

bloodychill posted:

I was wondering what the gently caress that was about. Like the guy they had just read "takes place in Afghanistan in the 80's" and was like "oh another series where you play another dude going to save America from the brown people."

Has there ever been an non-Eastern Bloc produced movie/game about the Soviet War in Afghanistan that wasn't about America supporting the Mujahideen against the Communist invaders?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i mean you do literally play an american who fights brown people who are terrorists

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Sunning posted:

Has there ever been an non-Eastern Bloc produced movie/game about the Soviet War in Afghanistan that wasn't about America supporting the Mujahideen against the Communist invaders?

Not that I can recall, which makes it all the stranger.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

When can I start finding ability spheres in FFX on a regular basis? I'm on the Mi'hen road and one rare creature drops them, but I have tons of abilities my characters are sitting on waiting to unlock.

If you're playing PAL/International/HD (read: any English version except the vanilla US PS2 release) there are some abilities early on the sphere grid called "Extract ____". Wakka, for example, gets Extract Ability. (I think it's near Yuna and Kimahri on the expert grid?) Smack an enemy with that and if it would've dropped 7 Blahblahs normally, it'll instead drop 7 Ability Spheres.

If you're playing vanilla PS2, you're SOL except for encountering the right sort of enemy that drops them. Much much later, you can buy "____ Distiller" items which are consumables which do the same thing (convert drops into the same quantity of the appropriate type of the four basic activation spheres), but by the time those are buyable, you're generally not going to have issues with sphere supply for casual playthrough. (They'll be useful if you get into endgame sphere grid stat-maxing though. Not that I particularly recommend doing that in the first place.)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Sunning posted:

Papers Please

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

bloodychill posted:

I get the feeling that someone was forced to write an article about video games (I mean it's something that moves billions of dollars) despite considering the whole business a waste of space so that was their way of getting the last word.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
It's that time again: Square Enix 2015 Annual Report

Highlights for Digital Entertainment:
- Major contributors were growing catalog of F2P mobile games.
- Older F2P games have shown growth. New mobile games have been launched. FF Mobius and DQ Monster Parade have had a good start
- MMO business has become a stable pillar of revenue
- Not many HD console games were released but Type-0 HD (and the FFXV demo) sold over one million copies worldwide
- Growth in digital catalog sales
- Consoles sales are strong in North America and Europe but smart devices do well everywhere
- They're looking at reviving old IPs and creating new ones. They are intended for VR platforms as well as consoles and smart devices (and cloud services?)
- Much of Asia has become a mature market. They're looking to make China a key region through strategic partnerships with local companies
- Launching FFXIV in East Asian countries
- Targeting untapped markets in Russia, South Asia, and South America. Partnerships with local companies will be normal when entering unfamiliar markets
- Will launch more HD titles next year but smart devices will continue to be the major revenue contributor
- FFXV scheduled for release in 2016 for PS4 and XB1
- DQXI release date not confirmed yet
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's release schedule: Xbox One and Xbox 360 editions: November 10, 2015/PC edition: early 2016/PlayStation 4 edition: 2016 year-end holiday season

http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/pdf/ar_2015en.pdf

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

i mean you do literally play an american who fights brown people who are terrorists

Big Boss is half-Japanese

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

Big Boss is half-Japanese

Nah, that's only Solid Snake despite Snake being a clone. They have an actual semi-retcon reason for that involving donor-mothers for cloned eggs.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, that's only Solid Snake despite Snake being a clone. They have an actual semi-retcon reason for that involving donor-mothers for cloned eggs.

Oh that's right. I remember that part in 4 where Eva says something about the mother being Japanese and if you jam X you see Vulcan Raven in MGS1 saying the blood of the Orient flows in your veeeeins

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Sunning posted:

- Major contributors were growing catalog of F2P mobile games.
- Older F2P games have shown growth. New mobile games have been launched. FF Mobius and DQ Monster Parade have had a good start
- MMO business has become a stable pillar of revenue
- Not many HD console games were released but Type-0 HD (and the FFXV demo) sold over one million copies worldwide
- Growth in digital catalog sales
- Consoles sales are strong in North America and Europe but smart devices do well everywhere
- They're looking at reviving old IPs and creating new ones. They are intended for VR platforms as well as consoles and smart devices (and cloud services?)
- Much of Asia has become a mature market. They're looking to make China a key region through strategic partnerships with local companies
- Launching FFXIV in East Asian countries
- Targeting untapped markets in Russia, South Asia, and South America. Partnerships with local companies will be normal when entering unfamiliar markets
- Will launch more HD titles next year but smart devices will continue to be the major revenue contributor
- DQXI release date not confirmed yet
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's release schedule: Xbox One and Xbox 360 editions: November 10, 2015/PC edition: early 2016/PlayStation 4 edition: 2016 year-end holiday season

awww yeah, chrono tragger is commin back baby

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lol the Rise of the Tomb Raider release is comical in how far away it is from the other two platforms

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Gologle posted:

Nah, it's gonna be The VR Battles of Worldrunner.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Can't wait for FFXII International Zodiac Job System HD!!!!

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Gologle posted:

For Android and iOS

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

same

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Sunning posted:

There goes my last sliver of hope for a PC Release.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That doesn't mean there won't be a PC release. Type-0 as a recent example wasn't even announced for PC until months later.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Based on past porting practices, if we're lucky Prince Noctis might Return to PC around the time FF7R comes out.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

zedprime posted:

Based on past porting practices, if we're lucky Prince Noctis might Return to PC around the time FF7R comes out.

I wouldn't base it on much more than the recent past. SE has been more PC port friendly lately and they are recognizing that they need to branch out more in order for these big budget games to be a financial success.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Gologle posted:

No way, they're going to make my personal dreams come true. Psychic Force 2020 coming next year, I can feel it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Considering how huge deliberately low-res games and indie titles have been lately I'm surprised Square-Enix isn't trying to go for more of that.

Worked for Capcom when they released Resident Evil Revelations 2 as a budget title with budget graphics.

C'mon, Square, make FF16 a sprite game! You know you wanna!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

What would you call Life is Strange, then?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's also that 'super duper inspired by Chrono Trigger' game they're working on that I forget the name of.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

corn in the bible posted:

i would buy final fantasy XXIV

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

There's also that 'super duper inspired by Chrono Trigger' game they're working on that I forget the name of.

Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna, made by Square's "Tokyo RPG Factory."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Speedball posted:

Considering how huge deliberately low-res games and indie titles have been lately I'm surprised Square-Enix isn't trying to go for more of that.

Worked for Capcom when they released Resident Evil Revelations 2 as a budget title with budget graphics.

C'mon, Square, make FF16 a sprite game! You know you wanna!

They did. They've done multiples of those. They were doing episodic indie releases before it was big. Both FFIV:TAY and FF:D were that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sunning posted:

- They're looking at reviving old IPs and creating new ones.

7th Saga 3 and an HD remake of the Quintet Trilogy? :haw:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

FF13-2 has been out for a while dude.

Seraphna
Oct 12, 2015

GalaxyTrail CM

Paperhouse posted:

For Android and iOS

Already happened.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Call the Pope and tell him to bless the ring because Ehrgeiz is back baby!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

:agreed:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Evil Fluffy posted:

7th Saga 3 and an HD remake of the Quintet Trilogy? :haw:

Oh my god if they redid the Soul Blazer trilogy I would pee my pants I'd be so excited!!!!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Paperhouse posted:

For Android and iOS

About that...

ImpAtom posted:

They did. They've done multiples of those. They were doing episodic indie releases before it was big. Both FFIV:TAY and FF:D were that.

Then change that to "make versions that are actually good."

Also since we're doing wishlists, bring back the Mana series at the era before it began to suck. Also Live A Live 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Einhander re-release and sequel. I'm pretty sure anyone who worked on it either doesn't work at SE or is dead but still DO ITTT

Also we need a new Bushido Blade game even though 3D arena fighting games are totally out of style just because