Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

hemale in pain posted:

I've got an itch to play small town mystery type games. Is there anything similar to this? Beyond the obvious Deadly premonition or silent hill.
Harvester?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Persona 4 :v:

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Alan Wake is okay

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
You're such a kidder, SelenicMartian.

I'll second Alan Wake.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
One thing I learned from this game is that I'm on these forums way too much. I had to do a double take when I saw Warren's shirt because I thought it was dickbutt, not a chicken.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh, I don't even see the code anymore, to me it's just... dickbutt, loss, goatse.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What I still don't understand:

We stole nathan's phone. It should be in chloe's house.

How did he text us from nathan's phone if we had his loving phone??

Furthermore, HOW DID NATHAN CALL US? HOW MANY PHONES DOES THIS FUCKER HAVE

If the answer is "well he's rich" that's a lovely answer.

Well, we know he has at least two. One for normal things ("Nathan") and one for Jefferson/drug things ("private number"). I imagine the timeline goes like this: Max steals Nathan's secret phone from his room, Nathan realizes Jefferson is coming for him and leaves Max a message using the one he still has, Jefferson kills Nathan and takes his phone, Jefferson texts Chloe using Nathan's normal/pubic phone.

Kaislioc fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 21, 2015

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

There's finally going to be Life is Strange apparel:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1010155205693675.1073741856.109691562406715&type=3

I really, really love the Misfit Skull and Jane Doe shirts.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

BobTheJanitor posted:

A nagging plot hole for me: in episode 4, when you're spending a while in alternate land with William alive and Chloe paralyzed, the whales are still on the beach and the birds are still falling out of the sky and the big storm of doom is still brewing. Why? Presumably this version of Max wasn't loving with the time stream at all. Another thing that makes me feel like this ending was shoehorned in late in development. Either they had some key team members leave, or some executive/publisher meddling, or ran out of money and rushed, or some combination of all of that.

Also there was this thing that was I guess some sort of leaked beta image for episode 5 which looks nothing like what we ended up with. That vaguely looks like it might be a hospital gown Max is in, and she's either rewinding a bus that was flying towards her, or she gained the power of the kamehameha wave and has decided to take down the town singlehandedly. :v:

spoilers

That entire timeline in episode 4 only exists because Max went back in time and hosed with it. That Timeline's Chloe was Chloe's dad.

Not really a plot hole, so much as fairly convenient that it decided to wait like 7 years or so to come to fruition.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The nightmare in Episode 5 is the best Silent Hill Game ever.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I chose to sacrifice Arcadia Bay for no other reason than I was tired of the episode by that point and just went with the ending I thought I wouldn't be picking when I started this. The last episode seemed so adamant on pushing their relationship in my face it was just like "Alright, whatever." That sort of summarizes my feelings of the last episode in general where I sort of just reacted that way to everything except the nightmare sequence, which was met with uproarious laughter when Max started getting cucked by everyone in the world. At the end of it all, I'm just sort of left with "Yeah, Life is Strange is okay."

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

hemale in pain posted:

You're right! The picture timetravel was were the storyline took a turn for the worst for me. I just prefered being an rear end in a top hat kid and misusing my powers to force people to like me. I wish the entire game was more of that.

I've got an itch to play small town mystery type games. Is there anything similar to this? Beyond the obvious Deadly premonition or silent hill.
Persona 4 and Contradiction.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Dexo posted:

spoilers

That entire timeline in episode 4 only exists because Max went back in time and hosed with it. That Timeline's Chloe was Chloe's dad.

Not really a plot hole, so much as fairly convenient that it decided to wait like 7 years or so to come to fruition.

So we're not dealing with some kind of physical law of the universe that just naturally reacts to time travel life-saving with ecological distress, then. We're dealing with some kind of malevolent, intelligent force that actively has a hate-on for our particular version of Max and is willing to delay its revenge for years specifically to gently caress with her. Got it. Where's my game about hunting this thing down and putting a boot in its rear end?

Also not entirely clear on why saving Kate (for those that did) shouldn't trigger another bout of revenge from the invisible time cops. Or even why telling Alyssa to duck doesn't do it. Being vague didn't do them any favors when they wanted to make this such a huge part of the final choice.

I mean really, if they want to make a choice feel forced and inevitable, they have to build up the back story and the in-universe rules to support it. You can't just say 'time travel mumble mumble tornado now kill your best friend' and expect all of your players to go with it.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Just finished the final episode. Turned out to be easily my GOTY, as I thought it would.

Games that actually make you feel things? What is this madness!

Devs need to make more things like this and less shootmans/sportmans/LEGOgame.

Also, the room i was playing in got real dusty in the last 10 minutes or so.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

BobTheJanitor posted:

So we're not dealing with some kind of physical law of the universe that just naturally reacts to time travel life-saving with ecological distress, then. We're dealing with some kind of malevolent, intelligent force that actively has a hate-on for our particular version of Max and is willing to delay its revenge for years specifically to gently caress with her. Got it. Where's my game about hunting this thing down and putting a boot in its rear end?

Also not entirely clear on why saving Kate (for those that did) shouldn't trigger another bout of revenge from the invisible time cops. Or even why telling Alyssa to duck doesn't do it. Being vague didn't do them any favors when they wanted to make this such a huge part of the final choice.

I mean really, if they want to make a choice feel forced and inevitable, they have to build up the back story and the in-universe rules to support it. You can't just say 'time travel mumble mumble tornado now kill your best friend' and expect all of your players to go with it.

Because saving Kate is literally the only thing in the series that you can't timey wimey your way to a solution, It's all about how well you payed attention to her character. And anyway, this whole thing is set into motion because Max found out she had powers and started to use them. So all of the rewinds and manipulations do go into what happened. You could just as easily assume it was delayed because the Alt-Chloe timeline only had one change in it. While the main timeline had Max spamming that motherfucker.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

Alternatively, Max is just a sad, lonely girl, making up stories in her head to imagine a world where she could save her dead friend. The world (Her subconscious) desperately tries to show her the truth (That Chloe must die and there is nothing you can do about it) over the course of 4 episodes until max starts to come apart at the seams (She frantically starts making more and more timelines in her head, rapidly erasing things that just happened. Warren doesn't even bat an eye when she tells him she's a time god. He is just like (cool, you know you're the one doing all this right?) and max doesn't even respond. Max goes full blown coo-coo, completely breaks down (the nightmare). She doesn't even listen to herself when she tells her she is loving everything up. It takes Chloe herself telling her what is going on for her to realize.

The game is an opposite of a power fantasy. It's a futility fantasy.

Hell, at the start of the game it's pretty clear that no one pays attention to max outside of Warren and Kait at Blackwell, and then everyone magically starts liking her in episode one. It's a fantasy world.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 21, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Man, that ending really got to me.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Paul Zuvella posted:

The game is an opposite of a power fantasy. It's a futility fantasy.

Heh. I just beat Far Cry 3 and I guess here we go spoiler tags for a 3 year old game but I loving hated the ending. In a way, it's very similar mechanically to LiS, it gives you the binary choice to either save your friends, or kill your friends and stay with Citra, a terribly written character who is basically just a sex object and who for some reason loves you so much that she sacrifices herself for you when some guy tries to stab you for refusing her love if you choose to save your friends. Jason Brody is a highly unsympathetic character and pretty douchey, unlike Max. One option is super dumb: why would you choose to kill your friends for the literal main villain's creepy sister (who for some reason also kills you if you do) when so much of the game is about rescuing them? Life is Strange is different though, because it gives somewhat (still perhaps poorly written) of a reason for you to sacrifice your friend for more than bullshit, selfish reasons. It feels pretty masturbatory, either option is supposed to make you feel like some sort of super badass who everybody either loves or envies, but Life is Strange has either ending essentially leave you feeling a bit desperate. So while the final scenes may have been disappointing for LiS, at least they didn't actively piss me off.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
My best friend and I are basically under the impression that the only people who are sacrificing Arcadia Bay are doing it out of irony or spite, because I think only a complete monster would honestly be like "Yes Chloe I'm totally okay with your mom dying horribly in a diner explosion so I can have you all to myself forever."

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Buzkashi posted:

My best friend and I are basically under the impression that the only people who are sacrificing Arcadia Bay are doing it out of irony or spite, because I think only a complete monster would honestly be like "Yes Chloe I'm totally okay with your mom dying horribly in a diner explosion so I can have you all to myself forever."
Mine was a mix of spite and hoping that it would be a trick and you're supposed to fight fate.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.

Buzkashi posted:

For me it was 50/50 spite and being surprised that they give you the option to "lose" the game. Also from what Paul said I almost want the ending to be Max in a hospital room holding the lighthouse snow globe and saying "I'm going to save you this time Chloe" over and over again.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Dexo posted:

Because saving Kate is literally the only thing in the series that you can't timey wimey your way to a solution

Uh... no. Don't you remember that the only way you could get to Kate was to literally stop time? Not only do you abuse time powers to save her, you do it in such a weird way that you can't ever manage to do it again.

Buzkashi posted:

Or it was that the game doesn't do a good job of makings its case that everyone is going to die, or that killing Chloe is going to help, and that final choice was such a ham-fisted forced bit of hackery that we all just said 'gently caress you game, I'm taking my toys and going home.'

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I was fine with the final choice. Sure, we knew it was coming, but it absolutely was a culmination of everything that had happened to that point. I sort of hate this gamer expectation that the choices made through a game need to be rewarded with a specifically different outcome. In Life is Strange, everything you did over five episodes happens to make THIS choice more difficult and personal and meaningful. I'm down with that. On PS4 (and I don't know if that's linked across all platforms) there's a 45/55 split between bae/bay right now. If the game can force a final choice that is almost equally dividing people like that then it succeeded.

The only part of this episode I disliked was getting 30 minutes of evil villain exposition at the start. 90% of his dialogue should have been cut.

At the end though, before the choice came up, I decided I wanted nothing more than to rip up that butterfly photo and save Chloe once and for all. gently caress the world, gently caress everything else, I would sacrifice everyone to keep the one I love safe. Don't know if any of you have ever lost someone special IRL by making the wrong choices? I have. Was having a bad day yesterday because of that lingering pain that still never goes away no matter how many years pass, and I was mashing that save Chloe button as soon as it appeared. I felt bad about those who I was condemning to death in the storm, but in spite of all the connections I had built up over 5 episodes I would not lose Chloe again. Not happening.

This is the kind of "choice" I want in an interactive medium. Not "you did X, Y and Z so here's what happened", but a choice that you have to make based upon your own valuation of all those experiences. Everything from 5 episodes was distilled into that one moment.

If you didn't like it, I respect that. If you saw it coming and wished for something more or something different, I understand that. Don't tell me the final choice undid all your other choices, or had no meaning though. As with life (which is... weird) every decision you make is a culmination of all your experiences to that point. It was the most meaningful choice in the entire game.

It's an ending I enjoy the more I think about it. Waited to write this after sleeping on the matter. I think this still manages to be my most satisfying game of the year.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I do wish you had the option to talk to that guy who interrupts you when you try to focus on your selfie in the art gallery. It would be cool to have that as a semi-hidden option. Where Max is like you know, maybe Mr Jefferson was right. gently caress these dipshits it's time to be an artist.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

exquisite tea posted:

The most cynical implication of the save Chloe ending is that Nathan and Jefferson are almost certainly alive, presumably having already been taken to prison somewhere away from the town.

Nathan is dead, who knows what happens to Jefferson

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ape ape ape! Who wants to go ape?

Does someone have all the dialogue said by the characters from the nightmare maze sequence? I wanna see everything. Like I saw a screenshot of Jefferson saying "Rachel not only gave great headshots, but she gave great head too. Especially after I dug her up one last time" and I didn't hear that in my game. It's messed up and I wonder what other things they have there.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

Does someone have all the dialogue said by the characters from the nightmare maze sequence? I wanna see everything. Like I saw a screenshot of Jefferson saying "Rachel not only gave great headshots, but she gave great head too. Especially after I dug her up one last time" and I didn't hear that in my game. It's messed up and I wonder what other things they have there.

All I remember is hearing I WAS EATING THOSE BEANS in the background :allears:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Buzkashi posted:

No irony or spite, wasn't gonna give up the girl I loved after the hell I'd been through, gently caress fate.

Besides, letting her live is the best ending, Waterfalls plays again, and that closes the loop. :colbert:

Codependent Poster posted:

I got that one, must have interrupted the end however, because, drat.

Kaislioc posted:

All I remember is hearing I WAS EATING THOSE BEANS in the background :allears:

Yeah, Frank is really pissed off about the beans, and says Chloe has been smack talking you, Emmanuel wants to "borrow" your scarf, I can't remember what Nathan says, I can only think of his text where he wants to get high with you.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Buzkashi posted:

100% spite here, and not even slightly ashamed of it.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

BobTheJanitor posted:

Uh... no. Don't you remember that the only way you could get to Kate was to literally stop time? Not only do you abuse time powers to save her, you do it in such a weird way that you can't ever manage to do it again.

Or it was that the game doesn't do a good job of makings its case that everyone is going to die, or that killing Chloe is going to help, and that final choice was such a ham-fisted forced bit of hackery that we all just said 'gently caress you game, I'm taking my toys and going home.'

They don't really make it clear that everyone dies in the Arcadia hella 'recked ending either. You're told to trust... Warrens? Understanding of this whole phenomena, but for all we know it's just two alternative strands of ~Chaos Theory~.
It's weird to push the "butterfly effect" and then have everything (like the petrol diner explosion) turn out exactly the same regardless of choices you make if you aren't there to personally shovel sand (when there's presumably a literal-choice-induced tornado of butterfly winds out to wreck the town for... reasons. But hey, they don't bother showing the actual outcome of town wrecked choice so maybe lots of people survived :iiam:

It would have been a more balanced choice if it wasn't all about Chloe, and the Tornado had some other reason for being (or the Ghost Doe, Indian tribe stuff...), that either choice and "who survives" (if you want to boil it down to that) actually changes in both choices depending on your earlier choices throughout the game. Certain characters may never make it in line Alpha, or they are a "maybe" - while always popping up in Omega, but perhaps not in the same "state" (happily married or divorced).

e: For example, the choice could instead influence *which path* the tornado takes, either half North or half South of town is wrecked. Hmm, not even sure if Chloe's life should really be on the line here, but perhaps earlier? You kinda already choose to save her so that option is basically "don't play the game, derp".

Then it's not all up to how well the story makes the player feel about Chloe, assuming ~nearly everyone~ else dies.

No, not very well handled.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 21, 2015

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I don't see any proof the story exists totally within Max's head. Is it just Twin Peaks worship?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

I don't see any proof the story exists totally within Max's head. Is it just Twin Peaks worship?

Just goons being goony, pay it no mind.

The real story all takes place in Pompidou's head anyway, let me show you my charts

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?

Caros posted:

It really isn't.

It is the trolley problem on a grand scale. Kill Chloe to save all of them or kill all of them to save her. It's a moral question without answer because you are killing someone. I'm of the opinion (as above) that they were basically fated to be murdered by the storm, and that just about every single other time travel attempt from Max has resulted in things being worse than the time before. Plus the game gave me no reason to actually believe that letting Chloe die would fix it even if I'm told that, plus NO gently caress YOU DAD!

This was close to my read of the choice and I'm glad someone else read it that way.

More than anything else the ending where you save Arcadia Bay is the ultimate time rewind, Max's last refusal to accept responsibility for her actions. In that ending, Max ended up no different a person than when she started: as a passive observer who refused to change the world even though she was given the power to do so. It's a very dark way to live life.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Max wasn't shirking responsibility though, the majority of the game up until the ending was her learning the Spider-Man motto and getting a better understanding of her powers and their consequences and using them to do almost nothing but good deeds.

She never asked for her powers and she had absolutely no understanding of what her powers could do, because all of existence wanted to be a horrendous piece of poo poo to her. None of it was her fault and the ending is mean-spirited edgy poo poo.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 21, 2015

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
A blue butterfly lands on the coffin. One final, cruel joke from a sadistic god that takes you right back to that forsaken bathroom. Who needs time travel? Minutes stretch into hours when your soulmate is bleeding out on the ground. She dies in pain, alone. Again. You've abandoned her. Again.

Back at the cemetery. The butterfly's still there. You grab it carefully; soft, barely noticeable in your hand. You curse the universe and release your grip, the broken insect slowly falling to the ground. By the time it reaches it, you're gone. God is next.

Back at the cemetery. You look up and smile.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

There is no proof. The ending is vague, probably intentionally so. You can come to your own conclusions about what the games means/was and that's fine, not everything about a story needs to be spoon fed to the reader/observer, and games are more interesting when things are left up to the interpretation of the player.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Accordion Man posted:

None of it was her fault and the ending is mean-spirited edgy poo poo.

Sad but true. Especially disappointing given the previous episodes proving that they can do good, non-cliched writing. I remember discussing this a few months back and telling people 'there's no way they're going to do a grimdark ending where you can't change inevitable fate, because this team clearly knows what they're doing and wouldn't ever make such a novice blunder.'

WELP. :v:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Are there any games in this style where choices matter in terms of the ending? The Walking Dead S1I vaguely remember required that Clem was the only character left in the party at the end of the game. I never played Season 2.

e: I did just watch the Giant Bomb run of Until Dawn so I guess that maybe?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

BobTheJanitor posted:

Sad but true. Especially disappointing given the previous episodes proving that they can do good, non-cliched writing. I remember discussing this a few months back and telling people 'there's no way they're going to do a grimdark ending where you can't change inevitable fate, because this team clearly knows what they're doing and wouldn't ever make such a novice blunder.'

WELP. :v:

I think that's probably what gets me the most about the ending, that EVERYONE saw it coming because it is EVERY TIME TRAVEL STORY EVER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

sout posted:

Are there any games in this style where choices matter in terms of the ending? The Walking Dead S1I vaguely remember required that Clem was the only character left in the party at the end of the game. I never played Season 2.

The reason why the walking dead was good is because it was extremely good at tricking you into thinking that everything you did mattered a lot when in fact extremely little of it did at all. That is not to say it's bad, that's the best way to do these types of stories.

LiS is kind of the same way, except it thematically revolves around that point.

• Locked thread