Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Haki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Space-Bird posted:

You are wrong and bad. The whole point of this is the Blackbeard pirates figured out how to 'game the system'...and that's why they're freaking everyone out. It thematically fits within One Piece, actually.

it is actually retarded because you'd have to assume that literally nobody has noticed this before.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

wow blackbeard is so drat clever and crazy...he noticed that the fruit nearby turns into the fruit of the guy that died one actual second ago...what sun tzu level tactics befitting an emperor of the new world..

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
You say that as if this is obvious to people in the story who are not omniscient readers like we are. Whether Vegapunk/Blackbeard/Doflamingo know it or not, it's pretty obviously not common knowledge in the One Piece world, dude.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

tbp posted:

wow blackbeard is so drat clever and crazy...he noticed that the fruit nearby turns into the fruit of the guy that died one actual second ago...what sun tzu level tactics befitting an emperor of the new world..

I'm just cool and good at One Piece. Sorry you're so bad at One Piece dude. Maybe go try power lifting some Dr. Slumps.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
How often are devil fruit users dying around people who just happen to be holding the right kind of fruit so they can say "Oh weird, my banana now has swirls on it, let me take a bite... whoa now I have that guy's powers!"

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

What is the fruit radius?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

if the end of the devil fruit "story" is just that 'nearby fruits become the devil fruit if someone dies' then thats just another disappointing story beat in the post timeskip one piece

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Behold, a man so miserable he bitches about poo poo that hasn't even happened yet and very well might not.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
One of the squares in One Piece discussion bingo should be "People whining about tbp whining." The free space of course is "Posting about posting."

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Can I ask you a question, tbp? What happened when Smiley ate the candy, exploded, and a nearby piece of fruit in a basket appeared to turn into a devil fruit?

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Devil fruit become-ening feels a little like the rules for feeding mogwais. It makes sense on the face of it but then there's that scene in Gremlins 2 where the people in the control room are picking the rules apart logically and you're like, "huh, yeah, that doesn't make a lot of sense does it?" But Gremlins is still a cool and good movie.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
DFs are basically Stands, which in turn are like the mutant powers from X-Men. They're there to make the fights more varied. The only real mystery is whether the fruits are tied to any of the other story elements. (Void Century, five old dudes, etc.)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Advice posted:

You say that as if this is obvious to people in the story who are not omniscient readers like we are. Whether Vegapunk/Blackbeard/Doflamingo know it or not, it's pretty obviously not common knowledge in the One Piece world, dude.

this is one of those things that is a bit silly like people in east blue thinking devil fruits might not exist despite them presumably existing for 800 years and there being a global newspaper and also tv

of course back then it was to add a greater sense of mystery to the world since it was right at the start of the story

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
maybe the world government supresses the news about devil fruits also east blue is way the gently caress out in BFE and is considered the weakest ocean hell don kreig was the strongest guy there and he didn't have a fruit power they just weren't all that common. Also i assume it's more like if there's a same fruit within a small radius then it transfers and if not then it goes back to the tree (Which i'm guessing is treasure tree lilith)

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

tbp posted:

it is actually retarded because you'd have to assume that literally nobody has noticed this before.

It's because no one ever dies in One Piece. So of course people wouldn't notice.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Advice posted:

Can I ask you a question, tbp? What happened when Smiley ate the candy, exploded, and a nearby piece of fruit in a basket appeared to turn into a devil fruit?

I mean I think it happened exactly the way it looked, a nearby fruit presumably of the same kind (like banana to banana or whatever) becomes the devil fruit. I'm holding out a sliver of hope that isn't necessarily the case because I think that's an insanely bad storytelling idea, and while it doesn't outright conflict with anything we know of the fruits currently it seems to me absolutely silly that it would be some grand mystery about how they get reproduced in the world yet nobody except like three ppl ever has realized that it's just "yeah another close fruit lol"

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Jose posted:

this is one of those things that is a bit silly like people in east blue thinking devil fruits might not exist despite them presumably existing for 800 years and there being a global newspaper and also tv

of course back then it was to add a greater sense of mystery to the world since it was right at the start of the story

Well, the TV is only local I think. Like from Mariejoa to Sabaody and that's it. I guess visual den den mushi have limited range.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

tbp posted:

I mean I think it happened exactly the way it looked, a nearby fruit presumably of the same kind (like banana to banana or whatever) becomes the devil fruit. I'm holding out a sliver of hope that isn't necessarily the case because I think that's an insanely bad storytelling idea, and while it doesn't outright conflict with anything we know of the fruits currently it seems to me absolutely silly that it would be some grand mystery about how they get reproduced in the world yet nobody except like three ppl ever has realized that it's just "yeah another close fruit lol"

I think it's probably more complicated than just finding the nearest piece of fruit.

Caesar and Vegapunk probably found out through experimentation and Blackbeard was shown to have done a poo poo ton of research on devil fruits to the point where he was after a specific one and had already known the strengths and weaknesses of the fruit despite its rarity.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Probably a range issue. The news mostly travels by seagull in the world of One Piece

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

Well, the TV is only local I think. Like from Mariejoa to Sabaody and that's it. I guess visual den den mushi have limited range.

Oh yeah. Photos are common though but its early one piece so not really a big deal. A bit like everyone panicking about the grand line

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Only two more days of devil fruit chat until this thread can be redeemed

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

How many people see the original fruit before it's eaten and then see the fruit appear somewhere else after that guy dies, I bet it's not very many people at all

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
Why do we think only Blackbeard knows if you kill a fruit user then a close fruit becomes a devil fruit? It took 300 chapters for someone to mention that it's common knowledge that you can't eat two.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Niddhogg posted:

Why do we think only Blackbeard knows if you kill a fruit user then a close fruit becomes a devil fruit? It took 300 chapters for someone to mention that it's common knowledge that you can't eat two.

He's not the only one, but it doesn't appear to be common knowledge. It's one thing for a group of people to watch a devil fruit user eat a second and then explode than it is for anyone to watch a devil fruit user die and then witness a nearby fruit turn into a devil fruit. Or, it's easier to replicate the results of eating two fruits than it is to see a fruit turn into a devil fruit. People are more likely to spread stories of someone eating two and dying.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I don't remember the nano machines post can someone link it?

hopefully it wasn't me posting while drunk which is why i can't remember it

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Kegslayer posted:

I think it's probably more complicated than just finding the nearest piece of fruit.

Caesar and Vegapunk probably found out through experimentation and Blackbeard was shown to have done a poo poo ton of research on devil fruits to the point where he was after a specific one and had already known the strengths and weaknesses of the fruit despite its rarity.

I hope so bc otherwise it's dumb

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Nanomachine Conversation starts here. (Need Archives, obv).

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Andarel posted:

What is the fruit radius?

About 300 Devil Devils.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

It could be that there's a difference between the artificial devil fruits and the natural fruits, and that the ability to be transferred to a nearby fruit is a trait engineered into them by Caesar and/or Vegapunk or whoever was the progenitor of the Smile fruits. Of course I'm making that up based on no evidence.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Nighthand posted:

It could be that there's a difference between the artificial devil fruits and the natural fruits, and that the ability to be transferred to a nearby fruit is a trait engineered into them by Caesar and/or Vegapunk or whoever was the progenitor of the Smile fruits. Of course I'm making that up based on no evidence.

I don't think the axolotl fruit was a smile.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="451715656"]
I don't think the axolotl fruit was a smile.

It had the normal DF swirl pattern, rather than the SMILE polka-dot pattern.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is there a new chapter yet

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

There's always a new chapter.

... in your heart.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Octopode posted:

It had the normal DF swirl pattern, rather than the SMILE polka-dot pattern.

Yes, hence what I said.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

lowercase16 posted:

There's always a new chapter.

... in your heart.

"Sniper island", a nickname for the incredibly deadly one piece heartworm

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Remember when they talked about SMILE being the an important part of making fake devil fruits? And the devil fruit is created before slime explodes into gas, as seen here:

http://mangafox.me/manga/one_piece/v68/c676/6.html

So I always read it as smile just made an apple into one of the artificial fruits.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Man with Hat posted:

Remember when they talked about SMILE being the an important part of making fake devil fruits? And the devil fruit is created before slime explodes into gas, as seen here:

http://mangafox.me/manga/one_piece/v68/c676/6.html

So I always read it as smile just made an apple into one of the artificial fruits.

You're thinking of SAD. SMILEs are what the artificial fruits are called.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Maybe there's a crazy reason for devil fruits existing that only the world nobles/void history know. Maybe the D. stands for devil because the D. clan created them???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The name "Devil Fruit" is actually a misdirection in itself. They are actually collectively known as "Evil D. Fruit".