Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

sout posted:

Are there any games in this style where choices matter in terms of the ending? The Walking Dead S1I vaguely remember required that Clem was the only character left in the party at the end of the game. I never played Season 2.

e: I did just watch the Giant Bomb run of Until Dawn so I guess that maybe?
You're gonna to have go with RPGs for this one. Undertale , Alpha Protocol, and Witchers 2 and 3 for starters.

Paul Zuvella posted:

The reason why the walking dead was good is because it was extremely good at tricking you into thinking that everything you did mattered a lot when in fact extremely little of it did at all. That is not to say it's bad, that's the best way to do these types of stories.

LiS is kind of the same way, except it thematically revolves around that point.
Your choices did matter in Walking Dead Season 1 though, you can't change the overall plot too much but you can have an entirely different experience to someone else from the changes in tone and character relationship that you make through your roleplaying and choices. LiS was actually really good about this too until the ending, where it invalidated all of that. TWD Season 1 never did that.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Accordion Man posted:

You're gonna to have go with RPGs for this one. Undertale , Alpha Protocol, and Witchers 2 and 3 for starters.

Well of course (still gotta play Witcher 3, and Undertale which I'm hearing is good.)
I'm gunna play Fallout 4 but maaaan am I prepared for a poo poo story.

I haven't really played any modern TTG besides TWD1

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

The reason why the walking dead was good is because it was extremely good at tricking you into thinking that everything you did mattered a lot when in fact extremely little of it did at all. That is not to say it's bad, that's the best way to do these types of stories.

TWD and most TT games in general are good at making you feel like you made the right choice, no matter what. That's where the whole 'this game reacts to your choices' bit comes in. Choose to sacrifice person A or person B, the game will still make you feel like you made the best possible choice in a bad situation.

Like, at the end of TWD season 2 (spoilers for that game, obviously) whether you choose to have Clem stay at the city, or go off into the wilderness with Kenny, you still feel like you've definitely made the right choice. The 'stay' option focuses on how you've finally fulfilled Kenny's wish to see you safe and made all of his hardship and sacrifices worthwhile. Whereas the 'leave' option focuses on your friendship with Kenny and how there's no way you're going to abandon him to the wilderness on his own.

Sure, it would be possible to swap things around and have the 'stay' option make you feel like a jerk for abandoning your friend and the 'leave' option make you feel like a jerk for denying all the hard work he put in to finally get you to this safe haven. But a writer who did that would be an unbelievable rear end in a top hat! And might have a future at DONTNOD. :v:

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

Parkingtigers posted:

I was fine with the final choice. Sure, we knew it was coming, but it absolutely was a culmination of everything that had happened to that point.

I think you're saying that because what you liked most got focused on. Me, I was interested in getting justice for Rachel, Kate, and anyone else who was abused; I was enjoying the detective story. Problem was, it got resolved hard early on, and all the catharsis that was being built up for that and how you affect the lives of the people you meet along the way gets thrown under the bus for what is, I will admit, a competent enough plot thread. It just wasn't what 90% of the game was about, and what that 90% was about was forgotten in favour of a singular thread in a larger weave.

Sure, you can argue that one choice was built up by all we'd done so far, but it wasn't a culmination, because it sacrificed all those other threads for itself. But when not one of your choices the entire episode matters until the end, you realize how undermined everything feels by lack of consequence.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Paul Zuvella posted:

The Walking Dead (S1 at least) was way more about allowing you to be the type of person you wanted to be within the set story, which this did a good job of as well, I think.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I already said it once in this thread but you guys are thinking way too hard about a $20 French indie game

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

BobTheJanitor posted:

Like, at the end of TWD season 2 (spoilers for that game, obviously) whether you choose to have Clem stay at the city, or go off into the wilderness with Kenny, you still feel like you've definitely made the right choice. The 'stay' option focuses on how you've finally fulfilled Kenny's wish to see you safe and made all of his hardship and sacrifices worthwhile. Whereas the 'leave' option focuses on your friendship with Kenny and how there's no way you're going to abandon him to the wilderness on his own.

More importantly it's pretty clear that once Kenny drops Clemoff at the city, he's going off to commit suicide since he has zero reason to live; he's accomplished his mission of getting Clem safe and has zero reason to live after all the painful poo poo that has happened to him. If you leave with Kenny, you are giving him a purpose and showing him that he isn't alone. Yes I left with Kenny. :unsmith:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

monster on a stick posted:

More importantly it's pretty clear that once Kenny drops Clemoff at the city, he's going off to commit suicide since he has zero reason to live; he's accomplished his mission of getting Clem safe and has zero reason to live after all the painful poo poo that has happened to him. If you leave with Kenny, you are giving him a purpose and showing him that he isn't alone. Yes I left with Kenny. :unsmith:

Definitely don't want to rehash that argument here, since that thread went on forever about it, but this basically proves my point. I went the other way, and I absolutely felt like I'd made the right choice as well. That's how these sorts of games should work.

It's not about gaming the system and min-maxing the best possible results for some theoretical 'perfect' playthrough, it's about picking what feels best to you and having the storyline adjust to make you feel like you're right.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Larry Parrish posted:

I already said it once in this thread but you guys are thinking way too hard about a $20 French indie game

On a $10 forum

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Larry Parrish posted:

"French indie game" sounds exactly like something that people should think way too hard about at least compared to the thousands of pages that were spent on the ending of "AAA Canadian action RPG in space."

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Overall I enjoyed the game a whole lot and it's worth paying full price for it. If they make a sequel my no.1 request is better facial animation. A lot of the dialog fell kind of flat, especially in tense/emotional moments, because of the blank expressions.

Also Chloe 's VA never worked IMO. Still saved her though. Felt like the most thematically appropriate choice to me. Also I thought she would go back on time and try to warn people, not just throw the pic away :psyduck:

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Buzkashi posted:

My best friend and I are basically under the impression that the only people who are sacrificing Arcadia Bay are doing it out of irony or spite, because I think only a complete monster would honestly be like "Yes Chloe I'm totally okay with your mom dying horribly in a diner explosion so I can have you all to myself forever."

David seemed suicidal when confronted with Chloe's murder, and I am pretty sure losing one or both of them would've ruined Joyce completely even if the Save Arcadia cutscene doesn't literally have her putting a gun in her mouth at the funeral.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Larry Parrish posted:

Goons are just loving assholes who over analyze everything and are getting all het up about the GOTY not turning out like they thought it would.

Poor lambs. gently caress off and dissect something else you cunts. Stars Wars 39 is coming out soon, direct your Aspergers at that.

Let us normal people enjoy the fact that LiS was easily one of the best games in recent memory.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

he mad

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spudsbuckley posted:

Goons are just loving assholes who over analyze everything and are getting all het up about the GOTY not turning out like they thought it would.

Poor lambs. gently caress off and dissect something else you cunts. Stars Wars 39 is coming out soon, direct your Aspergers at that.

Let us normal people enjoy the fact that LiS was easily one of the best games in recent memory.

It's not a GOTY or even the best game I've played recently, but it's definitely the best indie game. I enjoyed the story, the art, and the rewind mechanic, but to be honest it's not very meaty. However I have played 17 hours of it so far for $20 (i think i actually bought it on like 20% off too) so that's at least par the course in terms of value. Basically I don't know whats with this forum and building up games to be this insane 80 hour epic in their head and then they are enraged that it didn't live up to their impossible standards after the fact.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
What a bunch of assholes, talking about a game in the thread about the game.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

sighnoceros posted:

What a bunch of assholes, talking about a game in the thread about the game.

Nope, this is now a Starwars thread.

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

Having just finished the final episode, I've got to say that when I started to play I didn't think this game about hipster teenagers in Oregon going to this swank rear end school would get to me the way it did, or be one of the most enjoyable games I've played this year, but it hella did. Felt that this episode had some really emotional moments in it that got to me.
Pretty much everything with David in the bunker, esp. when if you tell him what happened to Chloe, doing a great job at making me hate Jefferson, and that whole last scene on the cliff at the end.
I didn't think they'd stick the landing perfectly with what we walked into the episode with, but I think they did an alright job on both endings. I'll totally be interested in what they do next.

edit: Saddest thing is that it's all over and done with.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The ending is very disappointing. I too thought that they would avoid going with a cliched, dark ending.

I'm also sad because I think there is still a lot of life left in the characters, but there's really nowhere to go with them now. A new Life is Strange season with different characters but a similar theme or aesthetic just feels wrong.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

The ending is very disappointing. I too thought that they would avoid going with a cliched, dark ending.

I'm also sad because I think there is still a lot of life left in the characters, but there's really nowhere to go with them now. A new Life is Strange season with different characters but a similar theme or aesthetic just feels wrong.

That's why I think the idea of a sequel is super dumb. This game is it's aesthetic, setting and characters.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Chloe forever, gently caress everyone else.

Hell you could even say that even if you changed it that reality would still happen. If you really want to think about time fuckery that hard.

Yes I chose Chloe unironically, I really like her character. Reminds me of myself and my best friend when we were younger so, yeah. Bff's forever.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DONTNOD should just go full Persona 4 with this series. Make a remix of this season with new twists and characters. Make some cartoons.

Then make fighting and dancing games.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Got the last of my photos for the platinum, and in collectible mode (so as not to mess with my choices stats) went and watched the other ending and now I'm a big blubbery mess.

The game gives you a choice between selfless and selfish. Yeah that choice counts, and it's a choice informed by 10-15 hours spent living in this world and learning about these characters. The final decision is all about who you think Max is at that point.

I stand by my bae before bay decision, but do feel the ending is portrayed better in the other cutscene. Obviously it had to be good as it was a farewell to Chloe. I didn't want a body count of Arcadia Bay or anything, but maybe just longer in the car and holding hands at sunset with a longer musical cue.

In the alternate ending where Max sacrifices Chloe, my Max only hugged her they didn't kiss. I'd chosen not to kiss Chloe earlier on, so that must be it.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

A new Life is Strange season with different characters but a similar theme or aesthetic just feels wrong.

Yeah, that does seem like a pretty weird concept. Like, are we just going to do the same story but swap out variables? You are [name] a young [gender] at a school for gifted students of [art form], meeting your old friend with possible romantic undertones after years apart. In a dramatic moment, you discover that you can [superpower] but as you try to use your powers to help people, you come to realize that [the devs hate you].

Like, a week ago I would have trusted that they could find a way to make it work. Now...?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BobTheJanitor posted:

Like, a week ago I would have trusted that they could find a way to make it work. Now...?

Now they've proved they can.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

BobTheJanitor posted:

Yeah, that does seem like a pretty weird concept. Like, are we just going to do the same story but swap out variables? You are [name] a young [gender] at a school for gifted students of [art form], meeting your old friend with possible romantic undertones after years apart. In a dramatic moment, you discover that you can [superpower] but as you try to use your powers to help people, you come to realize that [the devs hate you].

They could go with something like SOMA; existential look at humanity and what it truly means to be in a dark and unforgiving world, as their plot device and... iunno, throw some hipsters in or something.

Look, I want more games to be SCI-FI and set in Mariana Trench.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Persona 4 and Contradiction.

I watched a bit of the giantbomb quick look on contradiction and it does look amazing. I'd get Persona 4 if it was for PC :(

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

hemale in pain posted:

I watched a bit of the giantbomb quick look on contradiction and it does look amazing. I'd get Persona 4 if it was for PC :(

Buy a Playstation TV. They're like $40 now. Persona 4 is completely worth it.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I feel like normal people complaining about an intriguing (if understated) mythology being unceremoniously dumped in favor of a lame self-fulfilling prophecy. Did the devs just add NA legends and Man vs. Nature elements, animal spirits and Great Floods Tornadoes just for the cool factor? Or were they abruptly cut when they couldn't figure out how to put an ending together?

As it is, Max was given powers only as a temptation; the tornado punishment for using them. Remaining passive when confronted with Chloe's tragic and pointless death means redemption is unattainable, even when you're a recipient of divine gifts specifically tailored for it. Max abandoning Chloe shortly after her dad died is the last memory Final Chloe will ever have of her before bleeding out in a dark school bathroom and, even though Max could - and did! - make it up to her, she can never make it up to her. The power is forbidden. The Ghost Doe is meaningless. Embrace regret. Life Is... a Bitch.

e: spoilers

seravid fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 21, 2015

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

seravid posted:

I feel like normal people complaining about an intriguing (if understated) mythology being unceremoniously dumped in favor of a lame self-fulfilling prophecy. Did the devs just add NA legends and Man vs. Nature elements, animal spirits and Great Floods Tornadoes just for the cool factor? Or were they abruptly cut when they couldn't figure out how to put an ending together?

As it is, Max was given powers only as a temptation; the tornado punishment for using them. Remaining passive when confronted with Chloe's tragic and pointless death means redemption is unattainable, even when you're a recipient of divine gifts specifically tailored for it. Max abandoning Chloe shortly after her dad died is the last memory Final Chloe will ever have of her before bleeding out in a dark school bathroom and, even though Max could - and did! - make it up to her, she can never make it up to her. The power is forbidden. The Ghost Doe is meaningless. Embrace regret. Life Is... a Bitch.

And I'll look down and whisper, "Bae before Bay."

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

Reclaimer posted:

And I'll look down and whisper, "Bae before Bay."

End the thread this is the best line.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

JesterOfAmerica posted:

End the thread this is the best line.

people have been using that for like 10 pages. I forget who coined it.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Karnegal posted:

I've seen it elsewhere online I think.
fake e: it's the official episode title :O

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Karnegal posted:

Saw it on tumblr months ago back when people were guessing on endings like way back it episode 3

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.
I admit that wrapping this game series up with a nice bow on top was a challenge too great for even Dontnod, but I really appreciated the ride, regardless.

Also went with saving Chloe. As far as I was concerned, the assholes of that town outweighed the Good Samaritans. And if the tornado was formed because Max messed around with time too much, well, you made your bed. And after all that trouble you went through to make Chloe not die, it's best that you lie in it.

However, I felt the nightmare itself went on far too long. Just felt like sticking in a mindfuck for the sake of a mindfuck. And I played Remember Me. That mindfuck was at least restrained, and was meant to expose the central antagonist to his wife and child in order for him to see the error of his ways. Here, the game just makes you look like an rear end in a top hat no matter what. So what was even the purpose of suddenly coming into control of this rewind ability if it was gonna yell at you for using it wrong anyway? This is a choose your own adventure video game. We know that you didn't possibly come up with happy outcomes overall.

You don't offer a positive endgame in this setting. You just don't. So don't waste my time chewing me out in a lose-lose situation. There's more important things to be concerned with overall, like an entire town getting blown off the map.

I don't think they should do a Season 2. There's nowhere else to really go in their epilogue. I'd like to see Dontnod working on another world building project that isn't an interactive adventure game. Remember Me's world was great. Constructed off humanity's obsession with social interaction at the expense of both privacy and security. Shows me they've really got a gift for putting their universe together. Just make the gameplay less clunky.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Buy a Playstation TV. They're like $40 now. Persona 4 is completely worth it.

This, and P4 Golden is $20.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

DONTNOD should just go full Persona 4 with this series. Make a remix of this season with new twists and characters. Make some cartoons.

Then make fighting and dancing games.

DONTNOD, lacking the resources to take on LiS2 in any reasonable timeframe, outsources the production to Platinum Games.

I don't know what we'd get, but it would be amazing.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Pimpmust posted:

DONTNOD, lacking the resources to take on LiS2 in any reasonable timeframe, outsources the production to Platinum Games.

I don't know what we'd get, but it would be amazing.

We don't deserve that game, no one does.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I just realized what other game would be perfect for people who liked Life is Strange: Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. Which I played on iOS.

It's not a small town thing, but it's certainly a time travel thing, you wind up repeatedly saving different people's lives by rewinding to before their deaths, and manipulating various objects. It doesn't have any real dialogue choices, but it does tell a pretty good story. Its ending was pretty much perfect too, a rare example of an extremely satisfying time-travel ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

SirKibbles posted:

We don't deserve that game, no one does.

Somehow they rope Chris Avellone on board (as a stretchgoal, of course) and suddenly we can finally answer the question: Can can change the nature of a Jane Doe Chloe? ... Time Vortex Tornado?

Chris will have to come back to us on that one, but rest assured he's working away furiously to put this story together.

...What can change the nature of a ... Cereal Killer, yes, that's it!

• Locked thread