Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I keep getting long swords for her and I just loving suck with them. Maybe if I got a better bow I'd be happier with her but man, she really can't cope with crowds too well, and her sniping abilities just don't match up to someone else with a crossbow.

The elf's dual shortswords are in the running for best crowd sweeping melee weapons in the game because they attack quickly and their entire combo chain is side to side sweeps, meaning that she's fantastically good at putting crowds of clanrats/slaves in a permanent pain response state. That won't kill stuff insanely quickly but she can keep stuff tied down almost indefinitely. Her ranged weapons are for killing singular high value targets or thinning out an incoming horde before it arrives.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Also the elf's shortbow is trash garbage, it needs a buff and she should start with the longbow.

The swiftbow and the hagbow are both really, really bad and serve no real purpose that the longbow doesn't do vastly better. Ideally the swiftbow should be pretty much a machine gun with a huge ammo supply that you spray into crowds without a care in the world and the hagbow should be an aoe crowd control/disruption weapon, which would give them each a niche not covered by longbow and homing bow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pimpmust posted:

Owners: 70,253 ± 6,934

Steadily going up by 10-20k a day before release. Games apparently on average make about 30% of their sales on pre-orders, so this is looking pretty good. Not sure if it's good enough for their budget though.

They're a small studio (4 people I think, which expanded to 11 IIRC). I'm pretty sure they'll do good by this game.

Speaking of bows, trueflight are great in HARD or easier. Once you move into friendly fire territory it's almost always a bad choice.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kanos posted:

The swiftbow and the hagbow are both really, really bad and serve no real purpose that the longbow doesn't do vastly better. Ideally the swiftbow should be pretty much a machine gun with a huge ammo supply that you spray into crowds without a care in the world and the hagbow should be an aoe crowd control/disruption weapon, which would give them each a niche not covered by longbow and homing bow.

Make the aimed swiftbow fire five arrows in a horizontal spread and act like a shotgun, and it would probably have a purpose. She should still start with the longbow, though.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Pimpmust posted:

Owners: 70,253 ± 6,934

Steadily going up by 10-20k a day before release. Games apparently on average make about 30% of their sales on pre-orders, so this is looking pretty good. Not sure if it's good enough for their budget though.

Also thats roughly 1.7 mil if its just USD. I'd say that is a pretty good chunk of change.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Kanos posted:

The swiftbow is good if you can get headshots with it. It's main strength is that you can move quickly while zoomed in, and can machinegun bolts out, which is helpful when a horde of slave rats is incoming, as you can disrupt or finish off stunned rats quickly.

However, this is more situational and I prefer the Longbow as well.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Also thats roughly 1.7 mil if its just USD. I'd say that is a pretty good chunk of change.

I don't think the developers gets much more than... 25%-40%? of the income after steam-costs, publishers cut, Games Workshop license fees and taxes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

^^ Vermintide is self-published by Fatshark.

Skandranon posted:

The swiftbow is good if you can get headshots with it. It's main strength is that you can move quickly while zoomed in, and can machinegun bolts out, which is helpful when a horde of slave rats is incoming, as you can disrupt or finish off stunned rats quickly.

However, this is more situational and I prefer the Longbow as well.

It has too much overlap with the longbow, which fires drawn shots nearly as fast and will instantly kill clanrats(and punch through and kill the guy behind them) even with body shots on nightmare.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Tiler Kiwi posted:

thats good. I've gotten to be rather fond of these devs after following their blog and how they've been so open during the beta, so I hope this is a success and cash cow for them.

Off-topic, but Fat Shark have never quite landed a success, but I've kinda liked them. Lead and Gold was fun but TF2/other reasons seemed to doom it. I'm hoping they finally find some lasting success with Vermintide.

Edit: vvvv Legolas, heat-seeking arrows, a mask

Fayk fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 21, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I have no idea why the elf is so popular with people, when I look at dual pistol witch hunter, rock-and-a-hurt place Dwarf, and fire breathing mage the first thing I want to spring for is a bow.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Are these qualities enough to redeem a hagsbane swiftbow or should I not even bother upgrading?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Kanos posted:

^^ Vermintide is self-published by Fatshark.

That's a little more money for them then, and they'll probably run a healthy profit if they sell northwards of 300k. Not sure if they'll get much higher than say, Pillars of Eternity though, at least for the first year. If they got lots of good expanded material and patching this can get pretty big.

Watch L4D3 come out before christmas and tank them :v:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Game's back up by the way.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

ellbent posted:

Are these qualities enough to redeem a hagsbane swiftbow or should I not even bother upgrading?

Nothing can redeem the Hagsbane. Hold onto it until they inevitably buff the AoE to not be poo poo.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Pimpmust posted:

Watch L4D3 come out before christmas and tank them :v:

You know, L4D1/2 are undeniably polished, and obviously popular, but I'm really glad that vermintide basically did my #1 request for L4D...which is make the characters actually play a bit differently from each other.

vvvv Was it? Good to hear. It came out around the same time as Chivalry with a very similar (roughly) sort of niche, so I wasn't sure if it suffered for it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Fayk posted:

Off-topic, but Fat Shark have never quite landed a success, but I've kinda liked them. Lead and Gold was fun but TF2/other reasons seemed to doom it. I'm hoping they finally find some lasting success with Vermintide.

War of the Roses was moderately successful, I think. Or at least I heard about it quite a lot for a while.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

War of the Roses was moderately successful, I think. Or at least I heard about it quite a lot for a while.

War of the Roses' lukewarm success was mostly just bad timing; it came out as the same time as Chivalry, a much more fun game. It wasn't that bad of a game really

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I think the first person melee focus in this game is really what sets it apart and better than the L4D series. Also the classes and setting and just skulls.

Also looks like we can play the Wizard Tower now.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Why is every enemy a rat? That seems like a bizarre direction to go. Who wants to just kill rats over and over? Doesn't Warhammer have lots of different enemy types they can pick from? I played the Warhammer MMO when it came out and i don't remember killing that many rats.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Probably because the city in question is being invaded by rats.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

CJ posted:

Why is every enemy a rat? That seems like a bizarre direction to go. Who wants to just kill rats over and over? Doesn't Warhammer have lots of different enemy types they can pick from? I played the Warhammer MMO when it came out and i don't remember killing that many rats.

The story of the game is explicitly about an army of skaven overrunning a town and people in that town trying to survive. You might as well ask why Dead Rising or Left 4 Dead were all about fighting zombies because who wants to kill zombies over and over, or why Payday 2 is all about fighting cops because who wants to fight cops over and over.

There are other possible enemy types in the Warhammer setting but in the context of the story of this game it's skaven all the way down.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

CJ posted:

the game is called Vermintide

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I can understand zombies because apparently there are a whole lot of nerds who get really excited at the idea of butchering animated corpses, but i've never heard of someone wanting to kill an army of rat men. It just strikes me as a really bizarre theme to go with in terms of getting people excited to play your game.

EDIT: I know the lore is about a city getting overrun by rat men, but the developers still had to make the decision to make it a game about about a city being attacked by rat men. That's the part i find weird.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
It really does make perfect sense for the setting tho.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CJ posted:

I can understand zombies because apparently there are a whole lot of nerds who get really excited at the idea of butchering animated corpses, but i've never heard of someone wanting to kill an army of rat men. It just strikes me as a really bizarre theme to go with in terms of getting people excited to play your game.

EDIT: I know the lore is about a city getting overrun by rat men, but the developers still had to make the decision to make it a game about about a city being attacked by rat men. That's the part i find weird.

Are you trolling or just being willfully ignorant?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
It's part of GW's setting. The End Times start with the Skaven attacking everyone at once, getting the moon close to the planet (some characters comment of this in game), and finally blowing it up.

It's all very silly.

EDIT: What I mean is that probably rats were demanded by GW during the IP negotiations.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 21, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I think he means "why did they choose rats for the enemy" versus orcs or whatever, the answer to which would be that they are the only units in the lore that would make the kind of enemy that this game needs, aka numerous and easily dying. Even the most basic orc could gib you

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

CJ posted:

Jesus, dude.

Lore-wise, Skaven are literally vermin.
They swarm over cities, towns, and villages just like an epidemic would.

They are the Warhammer equivalent of a zombie infestation even though the world does have zombies too.

What are you not getting?
I'd rather fight an enemy I haven't seen in an action game like this before than just fightings orcs or zombies again, rat men with personality sounds much more appealing to me.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It's because Skaven are wonderfully insane and suicidal. Orcs don't get glowing bullet spewing chainguns. Why would you not want to fight Skaven?

It's something new. Don't be scared. Kill some rats.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

CJ posted:

Because zombie/skelington horde mode's been done repeatedly, orcs would be hard to balance as, "My bog standard humans and dwarf can go toe to toe with a Waaagh on their own" and no one wants to play Shadow of the Colossus with a loving Blood Thirster. Out of the horde armies there, the Skaven offer a lot of character, something to set it apart and reasonable reasons why I can swing a sword in a wide arc and kill 6 of them if you care about lore.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

CJ posted:

I think it's because the Skaven have a ridiculous amount of personality, and that's what it takes to make memorable enemies. They can't help but talk about what they mean to do to your protagonists, their contraptions tend to be just as dangerous to their operators as the enemy, and they can do the acrobatics necessary to swarm a city while still being fragile enough to kill by the hundreds.

Zombies are pretty cliche right now. They've been done to (un)death. loli'llbehereallweektipyourwaitresses

Edit: Also what ^ the fine people above me said.

Elpato fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 21, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Would be kinda cool to see an wall of Chaos units rolling after you as some kind of escape mission though

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

There's PLENTY of types of skaven the developers can add in the game in the future

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Would be kinda cool to see an wall of Chaos units rolling after you as some kind of escape mission though

Skaven ARE Chaos though
:goonsay:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Alright, fuckers, bought the collector's edition with hopes that this game is a great success and the devs support it with more maps down the line.

Do we have a steam group and mumble channel ready?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Deakul posted:

Do we have a steam group and mumble channel ready?

Skandranon posted:

We have our own channel on CTS (see above), as well as a Steam group.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
They opened up a new mission. The wizard tower. :getin:

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Donnerberg posted:

They opened up a new mission. The wizard tower. :getin:

It's loving great.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I think I'm going to refund this game

so that I can buy the collectors edition

CJ posted:

Yea, who the gently caress wants to play a game where you murder hordes of rat men driven insane by their chaos fueled drug habits and have made weapons such as gatling guns when everyone else is using flintlock pistols. That sounds loving boring. Rats who drag you away with a hook on a pole and then hang you out to die and rats who throw poison gas bombs and kamikaze you when they are close to death is utterly tiring. Thank god I can get excited about Zombie Game #257: The Undeadening

Drythe fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 21, 2015

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Man, I love the dwarf.
Playing sewers and there is a slight step down. He bellows out with glee, "THESE STEPS GO *DOWN*, HAHA!"

Then I played again on Hard and an Ogre spawned 3 minutes in and we were already cornered. Seriously no way to win that and it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Yeah, sorry, I seem to never look at OPs first. :downsgun:
Noted and joined!

• Locked thread