Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

ApeHawk posted:

Scrapper has minions that die in three hits, an AoE stealth field with a minion that basically shouts WE'RE ALL HERE!, and actual melee DPS and Toughness, basically MADE for raids.

Are the gyros effected by the new 95% untargeted damage reduction for minions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

ItBurns posted:

Deadest asura

this looks like the rear end in a top hat kid from the christmas movie

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

There are no rules in The Victim Zone

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It specifically mentions "things like engineer turrets" so I would assume that means gyros as well.

Did anyone use the stealth gyro in PvE? Do mobs target it? I see how it could be situationally useful in PvP or WvW (stealth stomps/resurrections), but that's about it.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yes. All player minions means all player minions.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
Does anyone still remember the one, the only, the original Asura?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
we sent him to his anime death

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
'Crystal Reid has a message for would-be raiding champions: “We started a bucket collection for your tears.”'

wildstar raid import confirmed

VVV eh fair enough, as long as you can hop straight in without attunements or any such bs I'll be a happy camper VVV

forkbucket fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 21, 2015

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

to be fair she really can't come out and say "this will be easy peasy no worries"

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Tears of disappointment.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My main disappointment with raids, at least going from the first encounter, is that they're just big, complicated games of Simon Says. This should be filed under "I Don't Know What I Expected," because that's what pretty much all MMO raids are, but it's just something that's never really appealed to me. It's one thing to have a puzzle boss/Zelda-style boss, those are cool and a good way to do bosses in an MMO (see: the Facets and the Malevolent Memory bosses in Living World season 2), but I start to lose interest when you basically just make 10 people play conflicting versions of "go here, stand there, now stand there or you wipe, okay now hit this enemy with this type of debuff or you wipe."

It's too tightly scripted for me to have any fun with it. Again, I don't know what I expected. It's not like I have any better ideas for how to design challenging encounters for 10 players. But I don't personally find it fun. Maybe the other encounters will surprise me, though.

forkbucket posted:

VVV eh fair enough, as long as you can hop straight in without attunements or any such bs I'll be a happy camper VVV

Yeah, you can. They've claimed no attunements, though I expect they'll want you to have some masteries leveled. One of the bosses features gliding, for example.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 21, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

mike12345 posted:

to be fair she really can't come out and say "this will be easy peasy no worries"

yeah, this is pretty much how any announcement of poo poo like this goes. it's dumb and i wish it would go away, but if stuff like this is being talked about then for some godawful reason they feel obligated to talk about how ~SOULCRUSHINGLY HARD~ it is no matter what it's going to end up being like when players actually get access to it. in a month's time people could already have the entire raid down to the point where they can run like 3 useless people though and still complete stuff and articles like that will still exist.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
I'm really looking forward to the fractal changes. Doing a whole cluster is usually way too long of a time commitment, one and done fractals seem much more manageable. Ugh Friday can't come soon enough!

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I hope they crib some ideas on how to do raids from destiny, those are pretty excellent and toe the line between grognardy and mindless very well.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can say that i generally don't care much how it all turns out because having anything at all to prepare for is better than there being absolutely loving nothing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lyer posted:

I hope they crib some ideas on how to do raids from destiny, those are pretty excellent and toe the line between grognardy and mindless very well.

It helps that Destiny has satisfying and fun moment-to-moment gameplay in a way more traditional MMOs just can't match. Guild Wars 2 has good combat feel for an MMO, but "for an MMO" is the most important clause there. I fully acknowledge this might just be personal preference, but I have more patience for things like DPS checks and enrage timers when my DPS is determined by how well I can shoot instead of memorizing and performing an optimal DPS rotation.

The GW2 raid encounter that gives me the most hope is the gliding one. Keep the gimmicks concrete but make them require coordination and skill to perform them and we're good. As soon as the gimmicks become "X boss needs Y debuff applied or you're boned, also make sure some of you run and stand in this AoE every few seconds" I kind of just glaze over and stop caring.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Shootmans aside, Anet could crib the vault of glass with the exact encounters and mechanics and it would still work within the gw2 world and it would still be amazing, that's why I think destiny's pve is so good. It's fun not because of the core gameplay, but the design. It also shows you don't need a hard tank or healer role to make engaging team encounters.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

forkbucket posted:

I'm really looking forward to the fractal changes. Doing a whole cluster is usually way too long of a time commitment, one and done fractals seem much more manageable. Ugh Friday can't come soon enough!

Seconding this. I did my first fractal ever not too long ago and really loved it, but same as you felt it was a really long thing to commit to as far as GW2 things go. I feel like if they publicized this more a lot of people would be getting more excited about fractals, as-is it unfortunately seems like something most people will learn well after the fact when they ask if fractals have been touched in months.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, that's also true.

I think that's what I was getting at with the "make the gimmicks concrete" thing. I was initially cool with having more rigid player roles in GW2 PvE, but the more I think about it, the more I much more favor temporary roles (like the relic carrier in Vault of Glass or the swordbearer in Crota's End). I also like that Destiny's raids involve tangible, concrete gimmicks.

Maybe a better way to put it is that what you ultimately have to achieve in each encounter doesn't change drastically throughout the length of the encounter, but how you do it gets more challenging, and is usually makes a certain amount of sense in a cause -> effect sort of way. To use a GW2 example, the bosses in the Hidden Arcana Living World quest are designed this way. You have some mini-bosses that teach you the gimmicks, then a final boss that uses them all together. Let the boss make you Fragile -> kill the facet that gives you the color attunement you need not to get pushed back from the Vortex Crystal -> let the Vortex Crystal absorb Fragility -> blow up the crystal to hurt the boss. It's a loop that makes sense (the crystal is invulnerable, but absorbs all your enchantments, so let it absorb the enchantment that makes you vulnerable so you can blow it up and hurt the boss) and can be made more complex with each cycle like a Zelda boss. It's a cool fight and it's easy to see how it could be scaled up into a good raid encounter.

I don't have much hope because they appear to have gone for the usual MMO "just make the mechanics really esoteric" design instead.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 21, 2015

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

That fight is cool but, like everything in GW2, the boss has too much health and the gimmick gets old pretty fast. If they could do multiple short phases with gimmicks like that it would be p good though.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Honestly my favorite fight in GW2 has been the Windmane fight as solo Caithe. The other living story fights were neat, but once the gimmick is understood they're kinda trivial. Windmane can still smack your rear end down if you're not paying attention.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I agree completely. To go back to using Zelda as an example--the bosses tend not to make you do their gimmick more than three or four times, and each time you do it, you're rewarded by getting to knock off a big chunk of the boss's health. For the Malevolent Memory fight in GW2, each successful crystal detonation should've knocked off like 25% of the boss's health instead of the something-like-10% it actually did.

Destiny shows how even something like that can be scaled up to raid levels. The final boss of the game's newest raid isn't really meaningfully damaged by guns, but instead by detonating orbs of light that you have to free from light-eating ogres. Each orb you detonate does something like 7% of the boss's health, and if you do it right you can detonate four per cycle, meaning you only have to do the whole cycle four times if you're smart about it. In fact, every boss in the new raid is designed so that you only have to go through each cycle three or four times at most.

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch
My biggest issue with GW2 PvE is that everything is basically a giant damage sponge that you throw hurty things at till it dies. You get to dodge something or use a stun-break sometimes if you're lucky.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Someone posted a very good silverwastes guide a couple months ago, anyone happen to have a link to it?

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Did they add moving elevators yet? I want stuff more interactive than clicking on stuff.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Lyer posted:

Shootmans aside, Anet could crib the vault of glass with the exact encounters and mechanics and it would still work within the gw2 world and it would still be amazing, that's why I think destiny's pve is so good. It's fun not because of the core gameplay, but the design. It also shows you don't need a hard tank or healer role to make engaging team encounters.

I would play the poo poo out of this raid. Destiny hate aside, VoG is a pretty amazing experience all around.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm cool with skill and coordination and all, but I hope all content in the game can be done while also freezing for several seconds at random inopportune moments. I feel like I won't be getting much gliding done. :(

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm excited Friday.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vidmaster posted:

I would play the poo poo out of this raid. Destiny hate aside, VoG is a pretty amazing experience all around.

Have you done Kings Fall? Its great even if they even if they went a bit overboard on wipe mechanics.

Oh and hey, an ascended chest from teq, guess that takes care of the staff then and saves me the trouble of making one from scratch, wish he'd drop an armor box, really want the medium top.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

It's one day to launch. Remember to pour out a 40 for your favourite dungeon explorable.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

Digital Jedi posted:

I'm excited Friday.

That doesn't even make any sense!

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

malhavok posted:

Someone posted a very good silverwastes guide a couple months ago, anyone happen to have a link to it?
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2tgy37/essential_guide_to_the_silverwastes/

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

That doesn't even make any sense!

He's an extremely eager shipwreck survivor's manservant, obviously. I mean, seriously.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Generic Octopus posted:

Tears of disappointment.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Thanks!

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

Sfd Bonehead best asura

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Humbly requesting Wutta Shames.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Preemptively posting this for HoT:

Various Meat Prod. posted:

Humbly requesting Wutta Shames.jpg

Sure!

• Locked thread