Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Does Trigger Trap work with Sonys? (And Fuji?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

LiquidRain posted:

(And Fuji?)
My homemade intervalometer (that I originally made for Canon) works with Fuji. In theory anything that supports the 1/8" mic cable release port should work, and even if it doesn't you can usually adapt to whatever electronic cable release input the camera uses. They're usually all some variant of 3-pins: shutter release, focus, and ground.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

My homemade intervalometer (that I originally made for Canon) works with Fuji. In theory anything that supports the 1/8" mic cable release port should work, and even if it doesn't you can usually adapt to whatever electronic cable release input the camera uses. They're usually all some variant of 3-pins: shutter release, focus, and ground.

I can also confirm pocket wizards will trigger fuji cameras through the 1/8th port, if that helps at all.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I use a trigger trap with my xt1. Goes from phone's headphone jack to cameras USB. Triggertrap's website can tell if it will work for your specific camera. It doesn't work for all Fujis. When I had an x100s they didn't have a compatible adapter.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

change my name posted:

Wait, so you can't use time-lapse/long exposure mode on the A7 unless you put down money and download an app for the camera?

Yeah, thats a Sony "thing", although it does give you the option to save time lapse to video directly. That's the sole reason I haven't gotten rid of my nex5n. I'd say its worth the 5 bucks.

Bizzaro Quik
Dec 1, 2004
Japan rules, right?
Looking for a little advise from the mirrorless shooters on here...

I received a Fuji X-T10 for attending Adobe Max. I already own a GH4, however. Was wondering, am I going to see any real performance increase, at all, with the X-T10? I did some slight comparisons and I'm having a pretty hard time seeing any kind of difference.

Looks like Fuji glass might be a little bit better than the LUMIX counterparts, but it's hard to tell.

Any real world application for the X-T10 where it outperforms the GH4?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It depends on how much you like Fuji color and white balance in difficult situations.

Bizzaro Quik
Dec 1, 2004
Japan rules, right?

whatever7 posted:

It depends on how much you like Fuji color and white balance in difficult situations.

Good point. While the Fuji does render colors nice, it just seems non practical to keep it and forego the GH4 for most situations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
If you look in to why people choose Fuji, it mostly comes down to the strength of lenses with a bit of "Fuji colours" and the user experience, over measurements of dynamic range or cutting edge mega-pixel counts.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Don't you have at least a theoretical increase in low-light, high ISO performance over the GH4 with the Fuji?

:v: (Speaking of people don't buy Fuji's for nerd numbers reasons)

My impression was that, disregarding individual performance measurements and taking both cameras as the sum of their parts, the GH4 is an excellent all-rounder for video and still photography that nevertheless has much more value as an m4/3 4k camcorder than as a vehicle for serious still photography, while the XT10 is the best entry-level camera for the best mirrorless system on the market today for still photography, while being utterly useless as a video recording device. Like, your iPhone video camera is miles better level of worthless.

I think the choice is clear if video is a priority for you at all, but honestly I can often see the difference when I look at images from a Fuji camera. If you're as much of a pixel-peeping OCD maniac as I am, you notice and appreciate the look of a digital image that wasn't created through Bayer Interpolation. It's like a pocket-size medium format film camera, in some ways.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Here's Leica's new full frame mirrorless, comes with glow as standard:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7448206943/a-lot-to-leica-hands-on-with-the-leica-sl-typ-601

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Spedman posted:

Here's Leica's new full frame mirrorless, comes with glow as standard:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7448206943/a-lot-to-leica-hands-on-with-the-leica-sl-typ-601

I'd like to say they kind of missed the point, but what do I know.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm goddamned 6'6" and that would probably be almost too big for my hands, jesus christ leica

E: holy loving :laffo: what is this poo poo leica

E2: god it just gets funnier as it goes on

quote:

Ergonomically, the SL owes a lot to its 'S' class medium format forebears. And not in an entirely good way. Buttons are customizable but as a consequence they're almost all unlabeled (Leica did make an exception for the on/off switch) and there's no exposure mode dial. It took several DPR staffers to finally figure out how to change exposure modes. You do that by pressing the rear dial inward and then rotating it. In addition, only one dial is active in shutter or aperture priority, and we found no way to change that.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 21, 2015

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
the lens is to be expected from a fullframe

sony hasn't put out long range fast lens for that reason

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
So, they obviously didn't make this for their current Leica buying market. Did they think there is some huge untapped "People who want to spend 7500$ on a gigantic unwieldy metal brick" market?

Also, :laffo:
http://www.dpreview.com/files/p/articles/7448206943/Leica-SL_Leica-APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL_90-280_ASPH_top.jpeg

Edit: Beat.

MeruFM posted:

the lens is to be expected from a fullframe

sony hasn't put out long range fast lens for that reason

Not so sure about that. It's a 2.8-4 variable aperture lens, that is still looking silly big. And it apparently extends with zooming?

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 21, 2015

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

loving lol

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

you could genuinely beat someone to death with that thing

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

That camera looks really uncomfortable. Its nearly as big as the medium format Leica S, and you'd think for all that size there'd be stabilization in there. $4950 USD kit lens... I guess I'm not the target market anyway :stare:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Leica's marketing department meeting minutes:
"you know what they say about guys with big hands... Lotsa money."

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

timrenzi574 posted:

Not so sure about that. It's a 2.8-4 variable aperture lens, that is still looking silly big. And it apparently extends with zooming?

2.8 at 90mm is going to be huge regardless on a fullframe lens

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Did Marc Newson design that?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

MeruFM posted:

2.8 at 90mm is going to be huge regardless on a fullframe lens

Yes, it is. That lens though, looks clearly quite a bit longer than my 70-200 2.8 mk2, and it extends to be even longer than that when zooming according to all the press stuff so "it's 280 not 200" doesn't really cut it. Looks about the same diameter, but much longer.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

bruuuuhhhh

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Meanwhile, in Fujifilm land: October 21 looks to be the announcement date for the XF 35mm f/2 and the XF 1.4x TC. Fujifilm Australia made the announcement on their Facebook page already, along with surprise new firmwares for the X-Pro1, X-T1, X-T10, X-E2, X-E1, X-M1, X-A2, X-A1, and XF50-140mm coming on October 29. No details on firmware changes yet. It looks like the lens and TC will be available in November.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 21, 2015

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Meanwhile, in Fujifilm land:

Whenever they get around to releasing their super telephoto zoom, I'm going to be very tempted to jettison most of my current gear and go Fuji. As long as the lens is good and doesn't go for over $2000 retail.

timrenzi574 posted:

Maybe the size is the result of making tele zoom that's optically distortion-free, rather than software-corrected?? I would hope there's some really good technical reason like that, and Leica aren't just trying to lock down the 'rich guys with giant hands and tiny penises' demographic.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There is a new firmware for my XE1? What's odds on getting the Classic Chrome lol?

It probably will just add support for the new lens. :(

That Leica lens is so big I can't think of a joke that can do its size justice.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Official stuff (press release, product images, specs) and initial impressions collected in one place for Fuji's announcements tonight:

http://www.fujirumors.com/announced-fujifilm-xf35mmf2-wr-1-4x-tc-live-blogging-refresh-this-page-for-the-latest-updates/

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Official stuff (press release, product images, specs) and initial impressions collected in one place for Fuji's announcements tonight:

http://www.fujirumors.com/announced-fujifilm-xf35mmf2-wr-1-4x-tc-live-blogging-refresh-this-page-for-the-latest-updates/

Reading those first impressions of the 35 f/2 makes it sound like the f/2's only disadvantage compared to the 1.4 is the stop of aperture. That's really impressive considering the price point. And the blade chattering is apparently gone.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Why does the 1.4 teleconverter only work with one lens, if I could work it with the 35 or the 18-55 I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Hocus Pocus posted:

Reading those first impressions of the 35 f/2 makes it sound like the f/2's only disadvantage compared to the 1.4 is the stop of aperture. That's really impressive considering the price point. And the blade chattering is apparently gone.

I might get it... I really want a WR lens and this seems to be an all around nice lens. Softness at f/2.0 is disappointing, though. Its my only annoyance with the X100T. I can live with f/2.0 even though I shoot dark a lot, but at least make it sharp wide open...

I guess I was thoroughly spoiled by the time I owned an XF 23mm f/1.4... that lens, unf...

Animal fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 21, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Add me to the list of people probably getting the 35 f/2. The fact that the silver model doesn't match the "graphite" X-T1 irks me a little. I think it matches the silver finish of the X-T10 though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Add me to the list of people probably getting the 35 f/2. The fact that the silver model doesn't match the "graphite" X-T1 irks me a little. I think it matches the silver finish of the X-T10 though.

Yeah, the price point is making it tough for me - I was pretty set on eventually getting a 23mm f/1.4, but the price point and smaller size makes the 35 mm f/2 very enticing.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I have an X-E1 and the 35mm f/1.4 and I'm having a hard time not justifying the 2.0... Outside of the fact that the AF is still going to be slow on the E1. :v: Now I'm really torn. I want to pick up an X100T still, but an XPro2 and the new 35mm might win out.

Also, thanks earlier for posting the astrophotography with the kit lens; I think I'm still going to pick up the Rokinon 12mm when I go up to South Dakota next month. Any one have a really good primer for "astrophotography for complete and total morons who have never done it before"?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Animal posted:

I might get it... I really want a WR lens and this seems to be an all around nice lens. Softness at f/2.0 is disappointing, though. Its my only annoyance with the X100T. I can live with f/2.0 even though I shoot dark a lot, but at least make it sharp wide open...

I guess I was thoroughly spoiled by the time I owned an XF 23mm f/1.4... that lens, unf...

I'm not really sure what you expected? It's softer at 2 than the 1.4 and few lenses are sharp wide open to begin with?

The 35mm 2 looks awesome. At that price point it's going into my bag for sure. It will be drat nice to have for weddings and portraits. The conundrum with the 1.4 was always was that it couldn't focus well in the situations where you needed the stops anyways and the 2 seems to solve that.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 21, 2015

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Fart Car '97 posted:

I'm not really sure what you expected? It's softer at 2 than the 1.4 and few lenses are sharp wide open to begin with?

The 35mm 2 looks awesome. At that price point it's going into my bag for sure. It will be drat nice to have for weddings and portraits. The conundrum with the 1.4 was always was that it couldn't focus well in the situations where you needed the stops anyways and the 2 seems to solve that.

It's simple, I expected it to be sharp at f/2. I understand that other lenses are not sharp wide open, and that the f/1.4 is sharper at f/2 (and even wider). None of that means that hoping the new lens to be sharp would be a completely unreasonable expectation.

Animal fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 21, 2015

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Eh, I'll be keeping my 35mm f/1.4 but I'm pumped for new firmware (classic chrome on my Xpro pls).

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:

Phone posted:

I have an X-E1 and the 35mm f/1.4 and I'm having a hard time not justifying the 2.0... Outside of the fact that the AF is still going to be slow on the E1. :v: Now I'm really torn. I want to pick up an X100T still, but an XPro2 and the new 35mm might win out.

Also, thanks earlier for posting the astrophotography with the kit lens; I think I'm still going to pick up the Rokinon 12mm when I go up to South Dakota next month. Any one have a really good primer for "astrophotography for complete and total morons who have never done it before"?

http://www.lonelyspeck.com/astrophotography-101/

The Rokinon 12mm is a great lens, especially for the price. I picked one up to do some astrophotography, and I've yet to actually use it for that.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

JAF07 posted:

http://www.lonelyspeck.com/astrophotography-101/

The Rokinon 12mm is a great lens, especially for the price. I picked one up to do some astrophotography, and I've yet to actually use it for that.

Best bang for the buck! I bought it for astro, got some great shots, but it's gotten plenty of use as a travel lens. 12mm, kit lens, and a Gorillapod = great travel kit.

-edit- Also props to lonelyspeck.com it is a great site, and Ian is a very sweet guy who will happily answer your emails if you need advice

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Aargh posted:

Why does the 1.4 teleconverter only work with one lens, if I could work it with the 35 or the 18-55 I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
With extenders, the limitation is whether the front element of the extender clashes with the rear element of the lens. If you look at the extender, it has a well endowed protusion. Shorter focal length lenses tend to have their last element close to the mount so there isn't room for the extender to insert its junk. Only once a lens is over a certain focal length is it likely that the last element is sufficiently forward to leave a hole for goal.

In Canonikon land, the 70-200 family are the widest compatible lenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I ordered a 35mm 1.4 a couple months ago while Fuji had it marked down to $400, but it just arrived this week since it was backordered on B&H, so I could still return it for a full refund and wait for the 35mm 2.0.

What are the main pros and cons of each? It sounds like the 1.4 is better optically, while the 2.0 is weather resistant, smaller (not like that 1.4 is a huge lens though), quieter and has faster AF speed. Am I missing anything? Leaning toward keeping the 1.4 at this point since the main reason I got it is to have a fast, oMg BokEh option to complement my 18-55 2.8-4, 55-200 and Rokinon 12. The WR of the 35 2 is appealing, but if it's not great wide open on top of being a stop slower, I'm not sure if it's the best fit for what I'm looking for. Are there actually significant image quality differences between the 1.4 and 2 at wider apertures, or is that mostly conjecture at this point?