Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Nebakenezzer posted:

We did cover the guy with the bicycle and the bike key for launching the land-based missiles, and for many years the Royal Navy didn't have PALs on its warheads because the RN found the implication that a officer of the Royal Navy would do something dishonorable insulting
Invidious, is the word they used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Nebakenezzer posted:

We did cover the guy with the bicycle and the bike key for launching the land-based missiles, and for many years the Royal Navy didn't have PALs on its warheads because the RN found the implication that a officer of the Royal Navy would do something dishonorable insulting

Excuse me, that's the Senior Service you're referring to :britain:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Apparently Russia's been playing chicken with spy sats. The US was none to happy about it but the Russians are insisting it's no big deal.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cyrano4747 posted:

Apparently Russia's been playing chicken with spy sats. The US was none to happy about it but the Russians are insisting it's no big deal.

Eh, we've parked satellites right near / behind theirs before to intercept signals.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015
Perhaps it's a sign I've spent too long immersed in Cold War history that I immedately recognised Greenham Common in the Star Wars VII trailer?

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

inkjet_lakes posted:

Perhaps it's a sign I've spent too long immersed in Cold War history that I immedately recognised Greenham Common in the Star Wars VII trailer?

Haha probably, I live like 10 mins from there!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=562_1445364042

ATGM on ATGM action

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

warcake posted:

Haha probably, I live like 10 mins from there!

Same! The majority of the common is open to the public so for anyone in the area is recommend passing through.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

DesperateDan posted:

Yeah :)

Someone in the UKMT suggested I host it somewhere, and I'm more than happy for it to go multiple places- There's a few small bits I want to clean up/add but as soon as I'm done I will let you know.

Posted! http://baloogancampaign.com/2015/10/20/mirv/ Please slide me an email at baloogan@gmail.com at any time if you want something edited / changed / a login to edit, change things yourself!

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad
Here's some high definition drone footage of Syria. It's meant to be Russian propaganda but doesn't express any real narrative, it's just explosions and tanks shooting buildings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q60yBQG8XI

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Here's some high definition drone footage of Syria. It's meant to be Russian propaganda but doesn't express any real narrative, it's just explosions and tanks shooting buildings.

I'm not convinced the buildings even have anyone inside them or if they just did it for the camera.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

TOW's always look so weird when they fly. Do they really jump around that much?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

I do not care for their use of Apollo 8 audio. They're like an evil Public Service Broadcasting.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Akion posted:

TOW's always look so weird when they fly. Do they really jump around that much?

Most missiles tend to look like they're fly in a stable arch or a cork-screw, TOWs on the other hand jumps all around like that because there is a small gyro in the missile fighting to keep the missile heading in the direction that the launch platform is pointing at.

E: It's a sever case of something trying to overcompensate for drastic course correction.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 21, 2015

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Back Hack posted:

E: It's a sever case of something trying to overcompensate for drastic course correction.
Not quite as severe as the Dragon, which used rocket motors fired in pairs for stabilization and course correction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmgUZXeTy6I

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
That's cool as hell.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Akion posted:

That's cool as hell.

It was the worst loving thing ever

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Smiling Jack posted:

It was the worst loving thing ever

He said "cool" not "effective".

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

PittTheElder posted:

I do not care for their use of Apollo 8 audio. They're like an evil Public Service Broadcasting.

I feel old now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWSLhMLVas4

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Saggers/Malyutka look weird as well but that's because they fly sooooooo slooooooooooooooooow

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

The SS.10 (SS for Sol-Sol, "ground-to-ground"), also known as the MCLOS, looked weird as gently caress. Also the designer was the same guy who tried to kill de Gaulle and gets executed by firing squad at the start of the Day of the Jackal.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

A Shitload of Chechnya Pictures

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

How the gently caress did a Mexican weaved straw cowboy hat make it to that warzone.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LingcodKilla posted:

How the gently caress did a Mexican weaved straw cowboy hat make it to that warzone.

Warlords have to be stylin!

Also dude might have had it before.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Yippie ki yay, motherfucker

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

This stuff right here'll make ya a god damned sexual tyrannosaurus.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Force de Fappe posted:

The SS.10 (SS for Sol-Sol, "ground-to-ground"), also known as the MCLOS, looked weird as gently caress. Also the designer was the same guy who tried to kill de Gaulle and gets executed by firing squad at the start of the Day of the Jackal.

I like to imagine these getting painted up around Christmas time.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

LingcodKilla posted:

Because everything is made in China

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Helter Skelter posted:

Not quite as severe as the Dragon, which used rocket motors fired in pairs for stabilization and course correction.

The charges on the Dragon have more to do with vaguely directed explosions than rocket engines really. Not only was it pretty easy to run the missile out of spare charges if you corrected your aim too many times, but the control system is definitely not analog, it's a full charge or nothing, so you better not make small corrections or it'll spend half it's charges hunting around the new vector. The dude in the vid is definitely good with it.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Akion posted:

I like to imagine these getting painted up around Christmas time.

They rather make me think of proper, American pin-up torpedo titties.

Also holy gently caress what a system :staredog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-7gkNNKePM

You'd have to have balls of tungsten to face an approaching armour line with six shots to go. Look at that motherfucker tumble around, if it were made today the manufacturer would just claim it was doing duck and weave to defeat close-in defense.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

F-18 crashed in Britain, pilot dead.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-34593948

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Kafouille posted:

The charges on the Dragon have more to do with vaguely directed explosions than rocket engines really. Not only was it pretty easy to run the missile out of spare charges if you corrected your aim too many times, but the control system is definitely not analog, it's a full charge or nothing, so you better not make small corrections or it'll spend half it's charges hunting around the new vector. The dude in the vid is definitely good with it.

I thought rocket engines fired in pairs meant there were, like, four or eight arrayed around the tail that would switch on and off to keep the missile on target. Nope, literally a limited amount of charges. I guess having a man-portable ATGM as opposed to a simple RPG was a benefit, but drat that sounds like an awful system. Wasn't the warhead kinda weak, too?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

ArchangeI posted:

I thought rocket engines fired in pairs meant there were, like, four or eight arrayed around the tail that would switch on and off to keep the missile on target. Nope, literally a limited amount of charges. I guess having a man-portable ATGM as opposed to a simple RPG was a benefit, but drat that sounds like an awful system. Wasn't the warhead kinda weak, too?

Very, but the bigger issue is that team fired one would very likely take immediate return fire as the "proofs" from the missile would leave a very literal dotted line back to the dragon team that fired it.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 21, 2015

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

There's always a two stage sound when they launch a TOW. (Click ... WOOSH)
What's the first sound? Thermal battery in the missile igniting before the rocket motor?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

TasogareNoKagi posted:

What's the first sound? Thermal battery in the missile igniting before the rocket motor?

Probably the gyro spinning up.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Dragon had an insanely long lock time between trigger pull and launch

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Could be the tiny motor ejecting the missile from the tube before the main motor kicks in.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/21/us-usa-airforce-f-idUSKCN0SF2VX20151021

Guess we're gonna charge more for the F35 again guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
There is something hosed up about the economics of something that having demand for it lessen you charge more. I understand why having to spread the R&D costs over each plane sold but that is still really wacky.

Canada still could buy some it is just going to open competition. Where they will get killed on price probably.