Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Honest Thief posted:

Friend of mine is trying to pawn off his macbook pro, 2011, with 500 SSD and 16gig ram, for 850 euros. It's got a warranty of two years, for sure, but it's still a 4 year old computer, isn't it a tad much?

How does it have 2 more years warranty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I mean demand sets the price. If he can't find a buyer then yes it is too much. If he can then it's not. At a glance it seems a little high to me but there are plenty of idiots out there waiting to get fleeced.

Well, I guess second question would be how to haggle, although, I do guess he won't have issues finding buyers.

Mu Zeta posted:

How does it have 2 more years warranty?

I think when he swapped the HDD they extended it

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Binary Badger posted:

IMHO if you absolutely positively can't afford to lose any data, you get the Drobo or something similar. In my experience, shoving a single drive into an enclosure, especially if it gets carried around a lot, gives you one big fat point of failure. Unless you back it up onto another drive, by which point you may as well have a JBOD array.

With the Drobo, if any single drive fails, you literally just hot swap in another drive and go about your business, the Drobo takes care of the formatting and copying.

I personally handle this by having my external auto backup to my always on home server which then automatically backups up to a remote server (CrashPlan). I do see the appeal of something like a Drobo or Synology though, and probably will get one eventually, they just are pretty expensive if you want one that has 4+ drive capacity.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Honest Thief posted:

Friend of mine is trying to pawn off his macbook pro, 2011, with 500 SSD and 16gig ram, for 850 euros. It's got a warranty of two years, for sure, but it's still a 4 year old computer, isn't it a tad much?

It's way, way too much. 2011 MBPs go for €2-300 on eBay.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

IMHO if you absolutely positively can't afford to lose any data, you get the Drobo or something similar. In my experience, shoving a single drive into an enclosure, especially if it gets carried around a lot, gives you one big fat point of failure. Unless you back it up onto another drive, by which point you may as well have a JBOD array.

With the Drobo, if any single drive fails, you literally just hot swap in another drive and go about your business, the Drobo takes care of the formatting and copying.

Yeah I'm kind of thinking over how I'd back up now. Right now with my iMac it's as simple as doing a time machine to an external drive then I also have a back up on backblaze incase I get robbed or the house burns down.

I'm kind of thinking of getting the MBP and an external drive then time machining all that to a drobo. Would also keep the backblaze which is like $50 a year and backs up the external drive.

Or maybe that's a bit of an overkill. I could just get the drobo for my photo archives and keep backblaze. I would just have to make sure I plug it in once a month, otherwise backblaze deletes the external drive backup.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Honest Thief posted:

Well, I guess second question would be how to haggle, although, I do guess he won't have issues finding buyers.

I think when he swapped the HDD they extended it

The most warranty you can get is 3 years total from the date of purchase in 2011. If he bought a new HDD from Apple it only gives 3 months warranty for that HDD only.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I mean it might be some pro-consumer warranty laws in whatever Euro country he happens to be talking about, but even then I'm not sure what would stretch the AppleCare out that far.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Backing up to media that stays on site is not a good backup strategy. Networked storage and external drives are good, and local backups are good for computer failure, but they're no substitute for a real backup solution.

Even Time Machine, which I use effectively to restore old files or even recover from computer issues, doesn't do a lot of good when it gets destroyed as well. Your house burning down, collapsing, flooded, destroyed by a vengeful ex, even getting robbed means you lose everything if you don't have a viable backup of key data somewhere off premises. I used to swap out full backups on disk every month in my safe deposit box at the bank in the late 90s. Now, I have vital literally-cannot-live-without data encrypted and saved on various cloud storage services and full data backups at Carbonite

For instance Carbonite offers a home backup solution for a single computer with unlimited data for $60/yr. There are other operators out there that offer similar services for similar price points. To me this works well with Time Machine. I have TM to roll back or restore files or even replace my computer if needed and Carbonite would be there with the latest backed up version if my gas main ruptured and my house exploded (provided I was not in the house at the time).

It might sound like I'm shilling Carbonite. I'm not, there are other online backup services that work just as well. This just happens to be the one I use, and I've been happy with the service.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I don't think I have a single file that is that important.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

I mean it might be some pro-consumer warranty laws in whatever Euro country he happens to be talking about, but even then I'm not sure what would stretch the AppleCare out that far.

Yeah, it's common to extend warranty in some stores, but it very likely doesn't cover AppleCare.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just noticed this weird sparkling effect that my rMBP has started doing. I took a slow-mo video with my iPhone against a black background to make it more apparent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTTlyJiHUSs

Interestingly enough, it gets worse if I disable graphics switching (forced NVIDIA) so I don't think it's isolated to a single GPU. Any guess if I'm looking at a logic board replacement? I've got an appointment for Thursday, but would like an idea of what I'm against before I head in if anyone has seen this before.
And away it goes for a depot repair: logic board and display assembly.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

App13 posted:

I don't think I have a single file that is that important.

But all of your files together might be.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mac Mini 2012 i5/8gb/500gb (upgradeable) is on the refurb store for $489 for the next few minutes

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/G0NN0LL/A/refurbished-mac-mini-25ghz-dual-core-Intel-Core-i5

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
What's a decent external hard drive that's mac compatible? I'm looking for something relatively cheap and I don't need massive amounts of storage - I've got a 500gb one that I currently have all kinds of files on but want to move them over to a 2 TB drive and use my current one for time machine.

I'm looking at this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WJOVCOS/ref=psdc_595048_t3_B00W8XXYSM at the moment but am wondering whether it's worth it to look into faster drives?

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 18, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Mac versions include Mac specific backup software but I remove those anyway.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

flosofl posted:

Backing up to media that stays on site is not a good backup strategy. Networked storage and external drives are good, and local backups are good for computer failure, but they're no substitute for a real backup solution.

You really need both. Offsite in case of fire / burglary, absolutely, but the local backup is much more convenient in the case of an OS or hardware failure especially considering how good Time Machine restore works on a fresh install.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mu Zeta posted:

The Mac versions include Mac specific backup software but I remove those anyway.

Yeah, why the Hell would anyone want to use Seagate's 'special Mac backup software' when there's an industry-leading automatic backup feature already baked into the OS that works with virtually any external drive?

The 'Mac Edition' of any 3rd party external drive is almost always an excuse to charge you $30 more than the equivalent generic version and the only difference you get aside from maybe a different case color is some poo poo Mac-specific backup wizard that 99% of buyers will almost undoubtedly erase and replace with Time Machine without even thinking about it. Literally any drive on the market will work with a Mac so buy independent of that. If you just need something to copy/drag files to/from, you can do that with any old drive as well.

Same goes for USB sticks and keyboards unless you're a stickler about keys matching up.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

flosofl posted:

For instance Carbonite offers a home backup solution for a single computer with unlimited data for $60/yr. There are other operators out there that offer similar services for similar price points. To me this works well with Time Machine. I have TM to roll back or restore files or even replace my computer if needed and Carbonite would be there with the latest backed up version if my gas main ruptured and my house exploded (provided I was not in the house at the time).

It might sound like I'm shilling Carbonite. I'm not, there are other online backup services that work just as well. This just happens to be the one I use, and I've been happy with the service.
I'll shill for CrashPlan, because my pet peeve with most cloud backup providers is they'll remove deleted files from your backups after 30 days, and some of them consider disconnected external drives as deleted files. Carbonite is one of those providers. CrashPlan retains deleted files as long as you pay for the subscription or explicitly remove the deleted files, and it does not consider disconnected external drives to be equivalent to a deleted folder.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

wolffenstein posted:

I'll shill for CrashPlan, because my pet peeve with most cloud backup providers is they'll remove deleted files from your backups after 30 days, and some of them consider disconnected external drives as deleted files. Carbonite is one of those providers. CrashPlan retains deleted files as long as you pay for the subscription or explicitly remove the deleted files, and it does not consider disconnected external drives to be equivalent to a deleted folder.

Yeah I got hosed with that a few years ago. I had a MBP and my photo archives on an external on my desk. I started using my computer on the couch more often and didn't frequently plug into the external drive. The drive eventually failed and I lost a lot of my photos. Some of them were launch photos from when I worked on the Space Shuttle program.

I'm still kicking myself over that so now I make sure I have a solid back up strategy. I still have the drive and every now and then I think about sending it to one of those recovery places , but I'm sure it's going to be expensive.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Haggins posted:

I think about sending it to one of those recovery places , but I'm sure it's going to be expensive.

About two to three grand in Canabucks last time I got a quote for my dad, who has since bought a Drobo.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Haggins posted:

Some of them were launch photos from when I worked on the Space Shuttle program.

There are a lot of people in the spaceflight thread that would love to hear all about that experience, with or without pictures.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3580990

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Oh I love trolling stubborn eBay stores. Latest 2tb time capsule is $180 refurb direct from Apple with 1 yr warranty and almost every eBay store I've contacted to 'beat' that price can't even match it on a used unit with unknown warranty status. Maybe I should blame ignorant buyers willing to pay that.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

wolffenstein posted:

I'll shill for CrashPlan,

Yeah, but it still has a terrible Mac client that I think is based on Java; eats memory and slows down significantly over time. Have a year sub but if it doesn't improve I think I'm looking for alternatives.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Anyone mess with Arq w/Amazon Cloud storage ($60/yr unlimited iirc)? Whenever the hell I get to backing up everything online I'm thinking about setting that up on a central machine and backing up w/Arq from there.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

fordan posted:

Yeah, but it still has a terrible Mac client that I think is based on Java; eats memory and slows down significantly over time. Have a year sub but if it doesn't improve I think I'm looking for alternatives.

Not to mention their billing is loving stupid. I was doing a monthly plan for awhile and every single month they had trouble with my reoccurring payment. I reached out to their customer support multiple times and they claimed it was all "fixed" never was. I switched the crash plan because it was native and they can handle the impossibly hard task of sending me a bill.

Also- crashplan didn't let me limit bandwidth and it gently caress my connection every time it started backing up.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

benisntfunny posted:

Not to mention their billing is loving stupid. I was doing a monthly plan for awhile and every single month they had trouble with my reoccurring payment. I reached out to their customer support multiple times and they claimed it was all "fixed" never was. I switched the crash plan because it was native and they can handle the impossibly hard task of sending me a bill.

Also- crashplan didn't let me limit bandwidth and it gently caress my connection every time it started backing up.

Crashplan does let you limit bandwidth (Settings -> Network).

That said, the Java monstrosity of an app sucks balls and I wouldn't use them if it weren't for the fact that it's the only one of the popular cloud backup services that allows me to back up my NAS.

They also hosed up my billing back when I first signed up, which resulted in an unexpected closure of my account, wiping my backup data and requiring me to start my 2.5 terabyte backup all over again.

Don't use Crashplan unless you really need to back up a NAS...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Okay, so it seems to be confirmed by a bunch of people: if you have a tower Mac Pro with two video cards installed, and if at least one of them is nVidia GT120 (most people bought two as they were a cheap option) and each drives one monitor, don't upgrade to El Capitan..

If you do, the OS freaks out and logs you off within minutes/seconds of logging in. There's been some claimed fixes but none have worked for long, including using nVidia's web drivers. Happens with 10.11 and 10.11.1.

As it's not a common setup, and it involves a vendor Apple seems to be cutting ties with (note the sudden yanking of nVidia GPUs from all Apple hardware lines) don't expect updates anytime soon; it apparently was an issue as far back as 10.8 but was quietly fixed. No such luck this time.

The only 'fixes' are:
- work with just one monitor connected
- plug 2 monitors into one card (makes the GT120 reeeallly slow)
- buy a new video card powerful enough to drive two monitors simultaneously
- downgrade back to YOSemite.

Details in this Apple Discussion thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7252069?start=0&tstart=0

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is the screen on the MacBook glossy like the Retinas or like the Air?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Apple is not cutting ties with nvidia, who comes up with this poo poo?

Sometimes they go with nvidia for a few years, sometimes they go with AMD. I suspect price is a factor.

coke zero mit mayo
Nov 5, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Is the screen on the MacBook glossy like the Retinas or like the Air?

You mean the new 12 inch one, right? It's glossy.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am getting HDCP compliance issues with Netflix in Safari now on El Capitan. I swear I was able to use my external display with Netflix in Yosemite. I'm using the DisplayPort input. Here it says its video inputs are "DisplayPort, DVI (HDCP)".

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

1st AD posted:

Apple is not cutting ties with nvidia, who comes up with this poo poo?

Sometimes they go with nvidia for a few years, sometimes they go with AMD. I suspect price is a factor.

I hope they head back to nVidia about the time they release a Skylake MBP, which is when I'll probably upgrade. I'm really liking having vendor-supported video drivers now. (Mid-2012 MBP here)

edit: instead of having to rely on the ancient drivers Apple ships

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
So a question I can't yet find the answer to,

If the Mac Pro updates in 2016, the only Xeons that will be ready are still Broadwell I believe? Does that mean Thunderbolt 3 is off the table?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Yeast posted:

If the Mac Pro updates in 2016, the only Xeons that will be ready are still Broadwell I believe? Does that mean Thunderbolt 3 is off the table?

IIRC Skylake-E is scheduled for Q3 2016 in the latest Intel roadmap, so there's a chance it will be ready for a possible 2016 Mac Pro refresh, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

japtor posted:

Anyone mess with Arq w/Amazon Cloud storage ($60/yr unlimited iirc)? Whenever the hell I get to backing up everything online I'm thinking about setting that up on a central machine and backing up w/Arq from there.

I do this right now. I use Arq on my Mac Mini file server to backup most of the data on my Pegasus array. Works like a champ, never had an issue restoring from it.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I tried fixing up an external graphics card via thunderbolt and learned some things:

* It will accelerate the balls off of Adobe applications.

* It will not run games in windows whatever I tried to do.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Yeast posted:

If you're thinking TB3 needs Skylake, it doesn't:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9331/intel-announces-thunderbolt-3

quote:

Wrapping things up, Intel tells us that they expect to see Thunderbolt 3 products begin shipping by the end of the year, with a larger volume of products in 2016. Given this timing we’re almost certain to see Thunderbolt shipping alongside Skylake products, though Intel is making it clear that at a technical level Skylake and Thunderbolt 3 are not interconnected, and that it would be possible to pair Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 controllers with other devices, be it Broadwell, Haswell-E, or other products.
But otherwise yeah most likely it'd be Broadwell-EP if it's 2016, barring Skylake-EP coming earlier than expected like Q3/16 mentioned. Seems like the general consensus is still 2017 but there's a CPU-World timeline that was pulled that might say otherwise for all I know. And semi related, AMD apparently might have new stuff ready soonish too. But it's AMD soooo... :iiam:

NeuralSpark posted:

I do this right now. I use Arq on my Mac Mini file server to backup most of the data on my Pegasus array. Works like a champ, never had an issue restoring from it.
Nice, do you use Amazon Cloud for anything else? Just curious how the access is for other stuff like the Finder or in Windows vs Dropbox/Box/etc or plain network shares and stuff.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

I tried fixing up an external graphics card via thunderbolt and learned some things:

* It will accelerate the balls off of Adobe applications.

* It will not run games in windows whatever I tried to do.
I'm not saying it's the most efficient solution, but have you tried those games in VMware using that GPU? I've found VM acceleration pretty good. That's how I tried to make a fake oculus with Air Display over USB + iPhone as display + stereo settings + Alien Isolation. A fake... very slow Oculus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I did consider it, but a lot people wrote it was an awful experience and thought to hell with it.

Edit: Another requirement is that I can run things on the internal display. This was my original thought since the display panel is beautiful.

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 26, 2015