Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Holy gently caress the wizards tower.

I don't know how I just kept stumbling through the map and it got kinda weird and then we did a thing

BTW do not throw grenades on the wards I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.
Just played a wizard tower as a dwarf with axe&shield (for the first time as only shield character in party) and game was surprisingly easy. Is it because of the map not balanced the same way as others or..?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

What difficulty? You probably just got better. If I recall that map is just a pubbie trap and if you stick together you are fine. Pubbies however like to split up.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
The new level sumemd up in three wods:

FUCKIN' wizards, man! :allears:

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Drythe posted:

What difficulty? You probably just got better. If I recall that map is just a pubbie trap and if you stick together you are fine. Pubbies however like to split up.

It was on normal, but for example supply run on normal not finished yet because of we die in process for some reasons and I turn game off. Might be shield is good or might be we got an "easy spawn pattern".

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Supply run is a slog and the end can go to poo poo real fast. Wizard tower I believe is stick together, finish map real quickly.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Drythe posted:

Supply run is a slog and the end can go to poo poo real fast. Wizard tower I believe is stick together, finish map real quickly.

Must be it. We paired at the last phase, where you protect pylons, me (shield dwarf) and wizard (ray stuff), witch hunter (2-h-sword) and Elf (elf things).

E: At first I even thought devs made something with game difficulty. I should try Supply run now.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

A sword and board character that actually does his job correctly can make runs much more smooth as well.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Drythe posted:

Yea, who the gently caress wants to play a game where you murder hordes of rat men driven insane by their chaos fueled drug habits and have made weapons such as gatling guns when everyone else is using flintlock pistols. That sounds loving boring. Rats who drag you away with a hook on a pole and then hang you out to die and rats who throw poison gas bombs and kamikaze you when they are close to death is utterly tiring. Thank god I can get excited about Zombie Game #257: The Undeadening

I agree that zombies are boring and played out, but you can't deny that there's a sizable population that are into the zombie apocalypse fantasy who will buy games that have zombies in them, it has an inbuilt audience. You can't say the same thing for the rat killing fantasy. I think the idea of making a left 4 dead style game in a fantasy setting is good, and the random loot is a cool idea to keep it interesting. I just think a large problem with this type of game is that it gets pretty repetitive, and having every enemy be a rat doesn't help - even though there's some with guns and rat-ogres and stuff, they're still visually rats. I don't know that much about Warhammer lore so maybe it's great if you're a Warhammer fan, but from an outside perspective i feel it would be better to make the enemy faction the Chaos, since they had a variety of enemies like the evil knight guys, the mutant warriors, the evil mages and demons. Even if what i'm saying is completely unfounded and the rats don't get boring because they have tons of personality, i still think it's easier to sell a game where you fight lots of different stuff than a game where you fight rats, rats and more rats.

(I also think making the Brightmage playable character a 60 year old crackhead is a weird decision too)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Shield is amazing. It basically hits everything in front of you and staggers. Never not shield bash.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
Did wizard tower just now. One grimoire is in The Hall of Mysteries when poo poo gets all sideways. It's up a sideways staircase. You have to jump up every stair.

Also, the Rat Ogre is a loving nightmare in this map. If vertical drops are your thing, Wizard's Tower is for you.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The wizard tower is full of old John Blanche Warhammer art :3:

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Stanley Pain posted:

Shield is amazing. It basically hits everything in front of you and staggers. Never not shield bash.

That what I was doing all the way. :)

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Can bots handle nightmare sewers?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Wizard's Tower should be called the Pub Destroyer. Three groups so far have been utterly unable to stay together, I'm gonna have to wait for a real-people group tonight.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Oh man. Bits of the Wizard tower are different every time. This is pretty rad

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Ahaha, apparrently there's two rooms in the wizard tower run with illusions that look different depending on what character you're playing as. I didn't even notice the first one because it doesn't actually pull up an illusion for the With Hunter. :haw:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Safety Factor posted:

The wizard tower is full of old John Blanche Warhammer art :3:

Oh, so that's what the deal is. Cool. I took some screens earlier so I could ask if they were important dudes. http://imgur.com/a/HNcyZ

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

CJ posted:

I agree that zombies are boring and played out, but you can't deny that there's a sizable population that are into the zombie apocalypse fantasy who will buy games that have zombies in them, it has an inbuilt audience. You can't say the same thing for the rat killing fantasy. I think the idea of making a left 4 dead style game in a fantasy setting is good, and the random loot is a cool idea to keep it interesting. I just think a large problem with this type of game is that it gets pretty repetitive, and having every enemy be a rat doesn't help - even though there's some with guns and rat-ogres and stuff, they're still visually rats. I don't know that much about Warhammer lore so maybe it's great if you're a Warhammer fan, but from an outside perspective i feel it would be better to make the enemy faction the Chaos, since they had a variety of enemies like the evil knight guys, the mutant warriors, the evil mages and demons. Even if what i'm saying is completely unfounded and the rats don't get boring because they have tons of personality, i still think it's easier to sell a game where you fight lots of different stuff than a game where you fight rats, rats and more rats.

(I also think making the Brightmage playable character a 60 year old crackhead is a weird decision too)

The thing is that if they wanted to (or thought there was a market) do a Warhammer game, this kind of gameplay wouldn't really work with Chaos. If you wanna make a big "let's fight chaos knights/demons/etc" game, it needs to be a different genre.

In this case, Warhammer zombies aren't even like romero-style zombies, they're usually more like thralls of some controlling necromancer. So for this co-op/wave game, etc, Skaven are basically *the* lore appropriate enemies for the most part.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

CJ posted:

Within the framework of the setting, chaos would be the worst enemies. Other than marauders and really basic beastmen things like the Chosen or basically any daemon are just something that four ordinary mortals can't kill. Of the enemies you can have in Warhammer, the best ones for a horde game like this are Skaven or Orks, and in the official storyline for the setting the Skaven are overrunning the cities of men during the End Times.

They're also pulling the Chaos Moon Morrslieb down into the earth, which gets the Slaan in Lustria all worked up to stop them and gives a reason to include a lizard man hero :getin:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

CJ posted:

Honestly, its just more lore friendly. Its like saying "Well in L4D you could have been chased by angry humans who want your supplies" or somesuch. Yeah sure, that's all well and good but that's not the point.

This game is very much "we want to bring this specific enemy to the focus with as much personality as possible". Your suggestion would change that.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CJ posted:

It's a bit of a nonsensical argument though. I could turn around and say that a zombie shooter would be much better if it had dogs, and cats, and cars, and was more of an open world RPG instead of a zombie shooter. Or like you didn't get to play an Orc, or a Dick Elf in the game Space Marine, because you were too busy being a Space Marine.

This game is called Vermintide, it set in a particular time within the Warhammer Fantasy world where Skaven are loving poo poo up. That's why there are so many rats.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I WOULD be OK with Warhammer: The End Times: Nothin' But Nurglings though.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Does killing a stormvermin squad that roams around negate the possibility of stormvermin spawning during an end sequence, like in Horn of Magnus and the wizard tower? It seems like it does, but maybe its just RNG shenanigans?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CJ posted:

Hmmm this is a cool game alright but what if we made a different game???

Answer: Well then you would be making a different game.

:ms:

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

BadLlama posted:

Yes, expect a few failures before success though. Depends on what kind of specials you get. If you get ratling gunners, and all your bots line up for death, there's not much you can do about it.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
The Skaven live farther undergound than the dwarves, in a rat empire that stretches across the continent. They are the most populous race in Warhammer Fantasy, easily outnumbering everyone on the surface. And every single one of them is Starscream.

Why the hell would you want anything else?

Edit: Also, the gutter runners have tunneled so far to the east, they literally know Kung Fu.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Looks like they got rid of the speed potion exploit for the horn. On to the tower!

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

CJ posted:

Its refreshing to have a different thing to kill and the characters being gruff, old, and ugly.

Also as perspective, I've told multiple people at work about this game and they all say it looks amazing and love that the enemies are crazy rat men. None of them even know what Warhammer is.

BadLlama posted:

Resist the urge to look around while moving fast and you should be good unless the game tells you to go gently caress yourself.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Looks like they got rid of the speed potion exploit for the horn. On to the tower!

How so? People have claimed this before.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's obvious that Fatshark's next move should be to remake War of the Roses, just Warhammer

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

CJ posted:

I like this decision on the devs' part. All of these characters are veterans of some kind, and if you see an older Bright Wizard, it means they've seen some poo poo and haven't let their magic burn them to death (yet). She's addicted to magic, and she's constantly tempted to lose control even if would certainly mean her turning to ash.

If you were expecting a young, flirtatious, girl in a robe that could be someone's waifu, that's just not how poo poo goes down in Warhammer. The world is ugly, and it's not kind to its people. Fuegonasus is a woman with power and experience, and that's cool.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's obvious that Fatshark's next move should be to remake War of the Roses, just Warhammer

Please take my money now.

Stanley Pain fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 21, 2015

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Elpato posted:

If you were expecting a young, flirtatious, girl in a robe that could be someone's waifu, that's just not how poo poo goes down in Warhammer. The world is ugly, and it's not kind to its people. Fuegonasus is a woman with power and experience, and that's cool.

Bright Wizard is my waifu. It gets pretty hot under the sheets

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Drythe posted:

Bright Wizard is my waifu. It gets pretty hot under the sheets

You have no idea how hard I resisted the urge to say "burning sensation" in my previous post.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I think it's weird that Sienna only has 2 or 3 keys that I can find. She's clearly better than that.

(Bright wizards wear keys to show how good they are at bright magic, but she did leave magic college pretty early so maybe she's not all that officially recognized)

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 21, 2015

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Grondoth posted:

I think it's weird that Sienna only has 2 or 3 keys that I can find. She's clearly better than that.

Her lore says she lacked the patience to stick around at the wizard college, and she struck out on her own once she got bored. She worked as a Wizard for hire after that.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I like how the Elf constantly talks poo poo about how crappy the city is that the soldier lives in. loving elves.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Wait aren't they resetting for release? I thought that was their plan.

Also new map!

Astus posted:

The Skaven live farther undergound than the dwarves, in a rat empire that stretches across the continent. They are the most populous race in Warhammer Fantasy, easily outnumbering everyone on the surface. And every single one of them is Starscream.

Why the hell would you want anything else?

Edit: Also, the gutter runners have tunneled so far to the east, they literally know Kung Fu.

Goblin Fanatics could be fun.

LIl guys drugged up on mushrooms that swing giant spiked maces around killing everything they run into, even themselve.s

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BadLlama posted:

I like how the Elf constantly talks poo poo about how crappy the city is that the soldier lives in. loving elves.

Like I said, the elf is an insecure teenager in a foreign land who is talking poo poo to hide that she's loving terrified and very far from her dear, sweet, time-bending and child eating hellforest.

The best part about Warhammer Elves is they act like elves do in every other setting but nobody just takes that poo poo.

• Locked thread