Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rocksicles posted:

Kinda ironic that it gets low numbers on arguably the two best episodes for ages.

They show hit 20 million viewers with DVR ratings, I think it'll make it through the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

X-O posted:

They show hit 20 million viewers with DVR ratings, I think it'll make it through the season.

But I don't want it to!
:qqsay:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

X-O posted:

It's definitely doomed though. At this rate it'll only make it for another 9, 10 seasons tops.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Eh I saw 4 articles saying that the ratings were down and took them at face value. I guess after how crummy I found the spin off I was ready to assume that TWD was losing its popularity. How wrong I was after the last episode.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Jessica Jones trailer finally coming in two days.

https://twitter.com/jessicajones/status/656787097609572353

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

TL;DR: Rich Johnston backpedals on Iron Fist (but not Inhumans), decides to post lengthy, contradictory rumors he can't personally verify anyway, most of which make little sense (Ridley insisted on using a movie-tier villain in his ABC project? The Inhuman Royal Family was on the table for SHIELD until the "hammer came down?")

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/10/21/some-wild-and-possibly-made-up-rumours-about-iron-fist-thunderbolts-and-the-marvel-civil-war/

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Can we just ban Rich Johnston from this entire subforum by proxy?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Shang-Chi is particularly lol especially in regards to where the rights for it are from, or what hoops Marvel would have to jump through to get a lot of his villains and supporting cast to even appear.

Although I'm honestly surprised Iron Fist hasn't even been cast yet. Since Luke Cage is appearing in Jessica Jones I just assumed Iron Fist would be in Luke Cage somewhere, especially since the Cage series has already started filming.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 21, 2015

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Nobody gonna talk about what happened on Flash last night? Or did everyone have an aneurysm like I nearly did. I am talking about freezing lazers, breaking them, and them having them not immediately turn back on.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Shang-Chi is particularly lol especially in regards to where the rights for it are from, or what hoops Marvel would have to jump through to get a lot of his villains and supporting cast to even appear.

Although I'm honestly surprised Iron Fist hasn't even been cast yet. Since Luke Cage is appearing in Jessica Jones I just assumed Iron Fist would be in Luke Cage somewhere, especially since the Cage series has already started filming.

Him not being cast probably gives those rumors a little more weight.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ToastyPotato posted:

Nobody gonna talk about what happened on Flash last night? Or did everyone have an aneurysm like I nearly did. I am talking about freezing lazers, breaking them, and them having them not immediately turn back on.

Him not being cast probably gives those rumors a little more weight.

You actually can freeze beams of light. And they didn't come back on because the systems themselves were shorted out by the cold.

Of course the entire idea of a laser grid is if the grid stops sending an acknowledgement of receiving a laser the alarm goes off, so shutting down the system in any way should have triggered it.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

If they really were that afraid of offending China by having a white guy be the best at kung-fu wouldn't it make more sense to just cast an Asian actor as Iron Fist instead of retooling the entire show as a Shang Chi series?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're gas based lasers, obviously.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't get why it's surprising that Iron Fist hasn't been cast? I doubt we'll see the show in 2016 as Marvel already has two shows out next year. And Jessica Jones wasn't even cast until like December last year and that was for a show that's just about to come out.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Dacap posted:

If they really were that afraid of offending China by having a white guy be the best at kung-fu wouldn't it make more sense to just cast an Asian actor as Iron Fist instead of retooling the entire show as a Shang Chi series?

Actually a few TV suits insisting on doing something that doesn't make sense is the only believable thing about the rumor.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

greatn posted:

You actually can freeze beams of light. And they didn't come back on because the systems themselves were shorted out by the cold.

Of course the entire idea of a laser grid is if the grid stops sending an acknowledgement of receiving a laser the alarm goes off, so shutting down the system in any way should have triggered it.

The only thing I found about this online did not involve turning light beams into ice crystals that could then be cracked into lightsicles. In fact, it didn't seem to involve low temperatures at all?

http://phys.org/news/2013-08-physicists-motion-minute.html

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hakkesshu posted:

Can we just ban Rich Johnston from this entire subforum by proxy?

He was. But as soon as we stop talking about him he'll re register.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

I don't get why it's surprising that Iron Fist hasn't been cast? I doubt we'll see the show in 2016 as Marvel already has two shows out next year. And Jessica Jones wasn't even cast until like December last year and that was for a show that's just about to come out.

I think it's because everyone is expecting him to be in the Luke Cage series, and that's getting close to filming, isn't it?

Actually filming started in September but will run through spring.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

The only thing I found about this online did not involve turning light beams into ice crystals that could then be cracked into lightsicles. In fact, it didn't seem to involve low temperatures at all?

That's a different experiment.

An earlier one managed to slow light to 38 miles per hour (over a tiny range, obviously) by passing it through a cloud of super cold atoms.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

ToastyPotato posted:

Freeze Force dude, Freeze Force.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you watch The Flash you should probably throw your care of real science out the window like the show did in the first episode.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

X-O posted:

Luke Cage started filming last month, which means it would premiere as early as June or July if it follows the same timetable as the two 2015 shows. Which in turn could well mean they're aiming for three 2016 premieres, though it's also possible that Cage could be shelved for a few months to space it out further from DD S2, or that there will just be a while between Cage and the next show.

It's more concerning that they haven't announced a showrunner yet (Rosenberg and Coker were confirmed, respectively, 14 and 5 months before filming), though admittedly less so if IF isn't intended to premiere until spring/summer 2017. But we don't know if that's the case.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

ToastyPotato posted:

It's almost like the dude's gun that magically makes ice is complete nonsense because it's a TV show based on a comic book.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

VDay posted:

It's almost like the dude's gun that magically makes ice is complete nonsense because it's a TV show based on a comic book.

Suspension of disbelief is a thing that exists and it is possible to be broken. Freezing a laser grid into solid icicles and not even setting off the alarm doing it is hilariously stupid and deserves to be made fun of. Because it is stupid. Unnecessarily stupid. Like something I would expect out of a farcical comedy stupid. It is a gag that wouldn't be out of place in a Naked Gun film or something like that.

Are you guys seriously going to defend that poo poo? Really?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Yes, it's nonsensical and stupid. Bad writing. It should be acknowledged.

You're a dude railing really hard against schlocky comic book stuff, though, and that comes off really weirdly.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Mortanis posted:

Yes, it's nonsensical and stupid. Bad writing. It should be acknowledged.

You're a dude railing really hard against schlocky comic book stuff, though, and that comes off really weirdly.

I didn't realize this was a place where we couldn't poke fun at the dumb stuff that happens in comic things. I apologize. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings for making fun of their favorite TV show, so I will leave it alone. Maybe the thread should have a trigger warning though so no lines are crossed.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's a whole laundry list of bad things in the DC CW shows to make fun of before we even get to "Does Science Really Wrong" and some of those things actually matter.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Maybe this has been subject of discussion earlier but I'm super eager for the Punisher in Daredevil's season two. Maybe just maybe it'll be a decent portrayal of the character for once!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I can forgive Flash for playing loose with science because Jason Rusch is going to be Firestorm next episode and that is episode so I don't care if someone has a gun that can freeze light or not.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

Maybe the thread should have a trigger warning though so no lines are crossed.

:siren:Trigger warning for sensitive peanut men:

You're a giant idiot

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Madkal posted:

I can forgive Flash for playing loose with science because Jason Rusch is going to be Firestorm next episode and that is episode so I don't care if someone has a gun that can freeze light or not.

Jason Rusch has already been on the show. The guy in the next episode is a new character named Jay Jackson.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

nosophoros posted:

Maybe this has been subject of discussion earlier but I'm super eager for the Punisher in Daredevil's season two. Maybe just maybe it'll be a decent portrayal of the character for once!

4th time's the charm right?

Guy A. Person posted:

:siren:Trigger warning for sensitive peanut men:

You're a giant idiot

lol

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

The discussion of science being wrong in TV is a non-starter.

Yep they got that way wrong is all there is really to say about it unless you want to start citing some very dry and downright boring research as to why light can or cant freeze and the model of laser grids mot likely to be in place and how they are effected by temperatures producible only in a controlled lab..

Also minus ten points for a stale u mad bro defense.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

SirDan3k posted:

The discussion of science being wrong in TV is a non-starter.

Yep they got that way wrong is all there is really to say about it unless you want to start citing some very dry and downright boring research as to why light can or cant freeze and the model of laser grids mot likely to be in place and how they are effected by temperatures producible only in a controlled lab..

Also minus ten points for a stale u mad bro defense.

Cool post more about it, I would like to know how every one reading the really feels in detail about something they say isn't worth bringing up. It's very important so please use as many words as possible.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

There's a whole laundry list of bad things in the DC CW shows to make fun of before we even get to "Does Science Really Wrong" and some of those things actually matter.

Especially when turns out that freezing the light wasn't what they got incorrect in that scene.

X-O posted:

Jason Rusch has already been on the show. The guy in the next episode is a new character named Jay Jackson.

If only they had like some kind of alternate universe plot device they could have used to use Rusch again.

Oh well. Let's just ditch the guy who has (some, probably?) fans and make a new guy.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
As someone who's only knowledge of the Flash is from second-hand jokes, hasn't the character always had a really really weird depiction of ice/cold? "Ice missiles attracted to speed" is definitely a phrase I heard.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
^^ Yep and that cold will cause the Flash to go slower.

Aphrodite posted:

Especially when turns out that freezing the light wasn't what they got incorrect in that scene.

If only they had like some kind of alternate universe plot device they could have used to use Rusch again.

Oh well. Let's just ditch the guy who has (some, probably?) fans and make a new guy.

It more like they don't want to pay the creator.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

Poop. I know Rusch has appeared before and I thought they were bringing him back. Now it just sounds like they weren't sure what to do with the character initially and just wrote him off too early so now they have to have someone else fill in the role.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

It more like they don't want to pay the creator.

They wouldn't have to anyway, Jason Rusch is a derivative. DC doesn't pay creators of characters that are considered derivative if Gerry Conway is to be believed.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

X-O posted:

They wouldn't have to anyway, Jason Rusch is a derivative. DC doesn't pay creators of characters that are considered derivative if Gerry Conway is to be believed.

Wait that specifically means newer/alternate versions of old characters? Would Wally West be considered derivative? Terry McGuiness? That's kind of nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ToastyPotato posted:

Wait that specifically means newer/alternate versions of old characters? Would Wally West be considered derivative? Terry McGuiness? That's kind of nuts.

Yes and yes. I remember him specifically citing Power Girl because she was considered derivative of Superman because Krypton. That's how tricky it is. He was specifically talking about Caitlin Snow in the show though because she was considered derivative of Crystal Frost. I think after he kicked up a storm they made good with him though. But derivative also means they don't have to pay the original creator or the creator of the character considered derivative.