Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
There are places where cyclists are allowed to treat stop signs and lights as yields rather than stops. It's actually been shown to reduce accidents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I nearly ran over some idiot that was riding through a crosswalk AGAINST MY GREEN LIGHT. Had I been an oblivious moron like most people that seem to drive around here he'd have ended up on my hood. It wasn't the first time I saw him do it either.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

porkswordonboard posted:

I was driving at about 11 pm one night when a woman blithely wandered into the curving, dimly-lit street. There was a crosswalk about 6 yards away but nope, that would be too hard. The real problem is that she was pushing a loving baby carriage. I missed that fucker by less than 2 feet, mainly because I was driving under the speed limit. I don't think I have ever seen my life flash before my eyes before, but those 24 inches were the only thing between me and a lifetime of heavy drinking.

Initiate the desensitization protocol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDqWKgHjxcc

(disclosure: not much of freude, lots of :stonk:, no one is hurt)

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I think the rule is you must try not to kill anyone with your car, hth.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
In Baltimore people who live in the shittier neighborhoods seem to have adopted this "gently caress it, if I get hit I get hit" attitude and they treat the street like their personal sidewalk. They just saunter across at an extremely slow pace, and a lot of times they almost make a point of looking in the opposite direction on a one-way street as if they are challenging the universe to make paste out of them.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

ringu0 posted:

The one where the stroller had its front wheels blasted off, I gasped so hard I almost woke up my son. All of that poo poo is anger inducing.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
This may belong in the "unpopular opinion" thread but I think running people over with your car is bad.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The other night, bout 8 oclock, I was driving down this road near my house on the edge of town. Its got no sidewalks and has ditches on both sides. I slam on the brakes and curse at what is apparently a motorized wheelchair going 10 in a 35 mph road with no reflectors. Pretty sure I almost killed a cripple and that wouldve made me real sad, but goddamn at least put reflectors if your gonna do that bullshit.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

zakharov posted:

This may belong in the "unpopular opinion" thread but I think running people over with your car is bad.

Here's another opinion. Walking around like 4000 pound vehicles can stop on a dime and see you through other vehicles is bad.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Pedestrians have the right of way. to shine my tires with their blood! :unsmigghh:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

This dude owns and those giants hats (helmets?) are loving stupid

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

zakharov posted:

What is that person is HITLER? What then, Zakharov?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Mogomra posted:

I wonder this all the god drat time because no one in my neighborhood follows anything remotely like "rules" or "laws" when I see them riding bikes. It's like everyone makes it up as they go.
Nobody in my neighborhood drives safely, but it's okay because at least they know which house to drag the dead child's body to.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

kazil posted:

They look like olive drab versions of the rebels in the first Star Wars movie.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

zakharov posted:

True, and fun.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

This is one of those where I think, "Why was somebody filming this scene?"

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

zakharov posted:

In China (and Nepal according to my daughter) if you hit 'em, you better kill 'em. And they do.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

Here's another opinion. Walking around like 4000 pound vehicles can stop on a dime and see you through other vehicles is bad.

Yeah it's a common misconception. Half of youtube is dashcams of people apparently sleeping/texting/eating/shaving while driving :v:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MariusLecter posted:

Pedestrians have the right of way. to shine my tires with their blood! :unsmigghh:

Brain-X - "the blood just beads right off!"

Seriously though, some of those videos are terrifying. Anyone that walks out in traffic without looking, intentional or accidental, is a loving moron and at least partially at fault for whatever happens.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

ringu0 posted:

If you click on the related/suggested video "Dad, what are you doing?" after this, it's mostly the same stuff but ends with a shot of a car going far too fast to stop heading straight into a guy pushing three children in a stroller. It mercifully stops before anything graphic, but there are no good ways that situation could be resolved.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ozz81 posted:

Brain-X - "the blood just beads right off!"

Seriously though, some of those videos are terrifying. Anyone that walks out in traffic without looking, intentional or accidental, is a loving moron and at least partially at fault for whatever happens.

My roommate almost hit a 20 something year old guy with his car when he was parallel parking the other day. Dude walked right in between our car and the one we were slowly backing up to. My roommate honked and the kid flicked us off. I got out, grabbed the phone he was texting on, and threw it into the park. He called me mean names as I walked away.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And then everyone stood up and applauded.

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
And your roommate got out of the car, stood up, and clapped

e: gently caress

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

My roommate almost hit a 20 something year old guy with his car when he was parallel parking the other day. Dude walked right in between our car and the one we were slowly backing up to. My roommate honked and the kid flicked us off. I got out, grabbed the phone he was texting on, and threw it into the park. He called me mean names as I walked away.

Hope this is true.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

kazil posted:

Real talk, these helmets are really good. It is fully fledged infantry combat helmet with a bulky piece of cloth on top of it. Said piece is meant to detract possible snipers from exact whereabouts of head underneath it.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Solice Kirsk posted:

My roommate almost hit a 20 something year old guy with his car when he was parallel parking the other day. Dude walked right in between our car and the one we were slowly backing up to. My roommate honked and the kid flicked us off. I got out, grabbed the phone he was texting on, and threw it into the park. He called said some cusses as I walked away. Well I can't have that, so I put on my shades and said "Time to take out the trash!" and spin-kicked him into a nearby dumpster. His friend came after me with a skateboard, but I blocked his attack and threw him into the dumpster so hard that the lid closed on them. I feel really good about what I did for the community that day.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It wasn't that impressive of a story. Why would you think it was embellished? You guys live boring lives I guess.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It takes a real rear end in a top hat to make up an unimpressive Road House story.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Has there been a single time where this didn't end with at least one person flying off?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Mambold posted:

In China (and Nepal according to my daughter) if you hit 'em, you better kill 'em. And they do.

This is because in China if you hit someone with your car you are responsible for their medical bills and have to pay them a stipend each month if they have continuing health problems. If you kill them you just get a small, one time fee.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Has there been a single time where this didn't end with at least one person flying off?

There is, just keep watching.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my driver's ed class in parallel parking, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on 20 somethings, and I have over 300 confirmed cell phone throws. I am trained in honking and I’m the top cell phone thrower in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another honk-ee. I will wipe your cell phone the gently caress out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my loving words. You think you can get away with walking behind my car while I'm parking? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of cell phone throwers across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re loving dead, kid. I can park anywhere, anytime, and I can throw your phone in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in throwing phones, but I have access to the entire arsenal of embellished stdh and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable rear end off the face of the continent, you little poo poo. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your loving tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will poo poo fury all over you and you will drown in it. Your phone is loving dead, kiddo.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

ringu0 posted:

Does Russia/Europe have a lot of pedestrian walking the street PSA commercials? This poo poo gets grounded into your brain in America

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

LawfulWaffle posted:

If you click on the related/suggested video "Dad, what are you doing?" after this, it's mostly the same stuff but ends with a shot of a car going far too fast to stop heading straight into a guy pushing three children in a stroller. It mercifully stops before anything graphic, but there are no good ways that situation could be resolved.

Comments had this

"Investigation into the incident has taken on special control of the
heads of regional traffic police. The collision seriously injured one
child — Myron polutoraletnego. The boy has a fractured hip, broken ribs,
bruised lung and a concussion. On Monday the aircraft he was taken to
Ekaterinburg in the 9th children's hospital. The boy was placed in
intensive care, awaiting surgery. His twin sister Alice, who was sitting
nearby in a wheelchair, escaped with only bruises and is already at
home. Released home and three-year-old Timothy, who are also physicians
recorded only a concussion. Now the traffic police conducted
investigation verification."

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jusupov posted:

polutoraletnego
This means "one and a half years old."

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Does Russia/Europe have a lot of pedestrian walking the street PSA commercials? This poo poo gets grounded into your brain in America
In Latvia there is moderate amount of commercials by Road Traffic Safety Directorate, which mostly though concern use of reflective materials by pedestrians. On similarly mild level the issue is touched within the pre-/school, as the main expectation is for parents/guardians to educate the child. While I can't speak for Russia or the whole Europe here, I'd expect the Eastern Europe to be more or less the same in this regard.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

Cthulhuite posted:

I can't tell if that's his helmet coming unseated or his neck breaking into a million pieces :gonk:

Its the helmet, but here is an alternate angle:
https://youtu.be/U_aphKeZQL8?t=27s

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Thug Life

Seriously, that Auto 666 has some amazing videos

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Want to hear the sound of pure northern-English schadenfreude?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5dL4DPm-DE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Roommate: Did you know I'm moving to California
Me: yeah
Roommate: I'm getting a job in the video game industry as IT/QA
Me: oh, I didn't know you knew how to program
Roommate: I don't, but I know a guy who's in deep and he said he'll help me get in.

Jesus Christ. That Roommate is a jobless Squatter that somehow manages to scrap together just enough money for "most" of his share of the rent, and at least one bottle of alcohol a day. You know what, good luck to him.