Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

They had it(Pine Barrens) set up for a Golf Channel Amateur tour tournament that was played sunday. Holy poo poo was it hard and fast. They did burn a few of the greens. Rolling Oaks was a lot prettier and softer.

That's cool. I always dig getting a chance to play a course right before/after some sort of big event. Hard fairways are an interesting breed to me, since everything here in Ohio is on a soil base and plays relatively soft. Scotland and other places go sand-based and man it takes some getting used to. They're amazing if you can punch or bump-and-run approach shots well, but getting under the ball (or down on it) for a pitch/chip seems to be a lot tougher at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I don't even attempt pitching from most fairways in Florida when they cut that bermuda down tight. Texas Wedge however :getin:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

I don't even attempt pitching from most fairways in Florida when they cut that bermuda down tight. Texas Wedge however :getin:

hahahaha yeah my dad loves doing that. He has an old zebra mallet putter that may be older that me, and has an uncanny ability to get it close from like 60 yards out sometimes

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

^^ If you go again, I'm only 3 hours away :D

They rent villa's there, if you have 4 people it works out to ~45 bucks a night each(160 a night-ish total per villa) and they're really nice, plus if you stay and play, your green fees with lunch, cart, and range balls is 44

My wife is from Ohio and last time we were up there we played here http://loudonmeadows.com/

#3 is 589 yards, cheap and always in good shape

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Farking Bastage posted:

Spent a weekend at World Woods. Pine Barrens will kick your rear end something fierce.

http://imgur.com/a/oKFG2

Looks great. I'd definitely leave my driver at home for that though. Doesn't look forgiving for my slice.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

None of my preferred courses had Hot Deals so I played a course I've been meaning to try for a while.

Started birdie, birdie, birdie.

Finished even. :negative:

The course itself, Lake Spivey just south of Atlanta, was pretty meh. Not really worth the $25.

They did have a literal 19th hole though. 366 yards downhill dogleg right.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Probably isn't necessary since I still have 2 dozen balls, but I just ordered 8 dozen of 4A (out of 5) TaylorMade Lethals from GolfBallsDirect for $56 including shipping (last year's Tour Preferred X).

The regular price is down to $7.88/dozen, plus there's a 20% off coupon (NEW20) and shipping is $6 flat. I was going to just go with 4 dozen, but this kind of deal comes around once/year maybe; I was also tempted to go balls out and order like 16 dozen since that would get me to free shipping over $99.
Trip report: they sent 98 balls instead of the 96 I ordered, which is just as well since 2 balls had scuffs on them. They also sent a sleeve of Nitro maximum distance balls, which I guess I'll let my cats play with.

As for the remaining 8 dozen, there were 5 or so that were kind of worn, as in the edge of the dimples weren't as sharp, but everything else looked like it had less than 9 holes of play. At 53 cents/ball, this was, indeed a once/year deal.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Good deal. I've got enough ProV1s to last me til the end of the year, even though they're 2014s which seem to scuff way too easily. They were under a buck each in AAAA quality from lostgolfballs a while back though so still worth it.

I've heard a lot of good things about Lethals and Tour Preferred X so I'll be keeping an eye out for deals over the winter. Same for Chrome Softs.

That Taylormade Tour Preferred UDI 20* is really nice, I've been hitting a bunch of extra shots with it this week and it definitely is kicking my hybrid out of the bag. I haven't hit the 18* yet but I wouldn't be able to fit it in my bag anyway unless I do something drastic like pull my 3w or drop the 20* and grip down a bit on the 18* for certain shots.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Trip report: they sent 98 balls instead of the 96 I ordered, which is just as well since 2 balls had scuffs on them. They also sent a sleeve of Nitro maximum distance balls, which I guess I'll let my cats play with.

As for the remaining 8 dozen, there were 5 or so that were kind of worn, as in the edge of the dimples weren't as sharp, but everything else looked like it had less than 9 holes of play. At 53 cents/ball, this was, indeed a once/year deal.

Thanks for the update! Just placed my order for 5 dozen.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I got to play a round today at Riviera with former Dodgers superstar closer and Cy Young Award winner Eric Gagne this morning. He's an absolute beast.

I hit the ball long (295ish average off the tee) and he hit it 30-40 yards past me all day long. He swings loving hard and also happens to be accurate, which is why he's a +1 and shot 1 or 2 over from the tips today, without having ever played the course before. Professional athletes are freaks.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Scratch Golf is going out of business which is a bummer.

http://www.golfwrx.com/331212/scratch-golf-is-going-out-of-business/

I use their 8620 cast wedges which have been out of stock for several years now but I guess I'll hope to find some of their forged wedges on the cheap in the coming months.

They along with Bettinardi have been one of the few companies where I have been able to email one of their execs directly and almost immediately get a response so I'm going to miss those guys.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How far would you guys drive to play just another course, aka nowhere special? I kind of want to play golf tomorrow, which means my options are somewhat limited due to weekend prices. There's a course I've been looking at playing, not top of my list but on it, that has a good deal, but it's 1 hr - 1 hr 15 min away. Should I just stick with something closer?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

BCRock posted:

Professional athletes are freaks.

This is the underlying truth. Their hand eye, strength, and endurance are insane.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

How far would you guys drive to play just another course, aka nowhere special? I kind of want to play golf tomorrow, which means my options are somewhat limited due to weekend prices. There's a course I've been looking at playing, not top of my list but on it, that has a good deal, but it's 1 hr - 1 hr 15 min away. Should I just stick with something closer?

Bout an hour is as far as I care to drive to play.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

Bout an hour is as far as I care to drive to play.
Welp, if this course sucks I'm blaming you :colbert: http://www.golfnow.com/course-directory/georgia-golf-courses/bremen-golf-courses/lion/

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The reviews don't bode to well for the greens :(. Generally I'll check the reviews too if it's a course I'm driving for. That one has 4 stars but it seems they may have aerated the greens recently and doesn't sound like they are back yet. Good luck though! If it's bad, come down to Orlando and I'll buy you a round down here :).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

The reviews don't bode to well for the greens :(. Generally I'll check the reviews too if it's a course I'm driving for. That one has 4 stars but it seems they may have aerated the greens recently and doesn't sound like they are back yet. Good luck though! If it's bad, come down to Orlando and I'll buy you a round down here :).
You owe me a round. :colbert:

Actually, it wasn't the worst course conditions I've ever played, but I would be embarrassed if I brought a friend. I got stuck behind some horrible foursomes, so a 3.5 hour round felt more like 5.

It was gusting to 20 mph and the fairways were pretty barren so the 7106 yds played much shorter. I didn't have more than 7 iron into any of the par 4s and all the par 5s were reachable. Here's one of the nicer looking holes:

The greens were utter garbage, on average 25% completely dead, but they cut the holes in spots where there was still grass so I didn't have trouble putting near the holes. The internet says they're Bermuda, which would have been fine; the Internet lied.

Here's a 225 yd par 3 that drops off a cliff. I hit a punch 3 iron into a stiff breeze and still came up short:

Ended up shooting 37-35. I won't be going back, even if the course were in pristine condition, if for no other reason than there are similar tracks much closer.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 18, 2015

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Actually, it wasn't the worst course conditions I've ever played, but I would be embarrassed if I brought a friend. I got stuck behind some horrible foursomes, so a 3.5 hour round felt more like 5.

It was gusting to 20 mph and the fairways were pretty barren so the 7106 yds played much shorter. I didn't have more than 7 iron into any of the par 4s and all the par 5s were reachable. Here's one of the nicer looking holes:

The greens were utter garbage, on average 25% completely dead, but they cut the holes in spots where there was still grass so I didn't have trouble putting near the holes. The internet says they're Bermuda, which would have been fine; the Internet lied.

Here's a 225 yd par 3 that drops off a cliff. I hit a punch 3 iron into a stiff breeze and still came up short:

Ended up shooting 37-35. I won't be going back, even if the course were in pristine condition, if for no other reason than there are similar tracks much closer.

Man that sucks, nothing like playing on a poo poo course and getting stuck behind people to ruin a round of golf.

My order from golfballsdirect will be here Monday. Apparently they ship outta florida so I basically get 2nd day shipping for $6. That'll make them my goto place to order from since ordering from lostgolfballs usually takes up to 5 days.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Josh Lyman posted:

Based on those two pictures and not looking at the link to see the location I thought for sure this was a course in Tega Cay, SC that I used to play until it turned to poo poo. The two holes pictured could literally be the exact holes from this course.

Haven't played a round in 2 months now. Life really sucks. I've been so busy on weekends that I can't ever seem to get out. This past saturday I would have been playing, but then I was reminded that I had a wedding to go to 3hrs away so I couldn't play. Good thing there was free booze or I would have been really pissed about it.

Edit: And to make it worse, my last round out I shot a 78 on a new-to-me course @ 7200+ yards and I haven't been able to go out and back that score up to see if it was just a fluke.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 19, 2015

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

mattfl posted:

Thanks for the update! Just placed my order for 5 dozen.

Got my order in today! Like Josh, I had maybe 2 or 3 that had some sort of very minor scuff on them but the rest definitely have less than 9 holes of play on them, some of them look like they've been hit maybe once. Super impressed and with the much faster shipping than lostgolfballs this should be my go to for balls now. Hopefully this 5 dozen lasts me a while though! I've never played Lethals before so I'm not sure how they hold up to cutting but we'll find out this weekend when I get out.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Tour Preferred X are equivalent to Pro V1X?

I've been buying Srixon Q Stars for cheap lately, they don't spin as much for me.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
My friend had a few of those KICK XXXXX balls and he hit one out of the bunker and it peeled part of the cover off. Get those for sure.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Keyser S0ze posted:

My friend had a few of those KICK XXXXX balls and he hit one out of the bunker and it peeled part of the cover off. Get those for sure.

He must clean the grooves real well :)

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I played at a crazy course this past weekend. Well the course was not crazy but the rough was. They had a sign in the Pro Shop saying they had longer rough than normal to conserve water (it has rained like 2 feet in the last month so whatever) and reduce maintenance cost. They weren't lying. The rough was like a jungle. Easily 8 inches high. If a ball went into it forget about it. Our foursome easily lost 30 balls..... probably closer to 40! I would have made it through the entire round without losing a ball if the rough was normal but I lost 10 I think. It was so bad my buddy tossed a ball out into the rough as a drop and it took us 2 minutes to find it! All 4 of us would see where the ball landed and still come up empty. It was ridiculous. We just quit looking after the front 9.

Is this common? I've never seen it before. If we kept an accurate score for lost balls 130 probably would have won the round. If I snuck out there and mowed all the grass I'd probably find so many balls my car would do a wheelie driving home.

I actually got annoyed about it. Luckily I was playing used noodles (60 for like 18 bucks) but if I had full price balls I'd be really pissed.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ribsauce posted:

I played at a crazy course this past weekend. Well the course was not crazy but the rough was. They had a sign in the Pro Shop saying they had longer rough than normal to conserve water (it has rained like 2 feet in the last month so whatever) and reduce maintenance cost. They weren't lying. The rough was like a jungle. Easily 8 inches high. If a ball went into it forget about it. Our foursome easily lost 30 balls..... probably closer to 40! I would have made it through the entire round without losing a ball if the rough was normal but I lost 10 I think. It was so bad my buddy tossed a ball out into the rough as a drop and it took us 2 minutes to find it! All 4 of us would see where the ball landed and still come up empty. It was ridiculous. We just quit looking after the front 9.

Is this common? I've never seen it before. If we kept an accurate score for lost balls 130 probably would have won the round. If I snuck out there and mowed all the grass I'd probably find so many balls my car would do a wheelie driving home.

I actually got annoyed about it. Luckily I was playing used noodles (60 for like 18 bucks) but if I had full price balls I'd be really pissed.
I've always wanted to play US Open style rough but that sounds hilarious(ly frustrating).

Is this in California? I've never heard of something like this happening.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Halo14 posted:

Tour Preferred X are equivalent to Pro V1X?

I've been buying Srixon Q Stars for cheap lately, they don't spin as much for me.
I did some early testing of the new Q Stars and found them to spin a little more than their Pro V1 counterparts. In other words, the Q Star XV spun a touch more than the Pro V1x.

The Tour Preferred X is basically the exact same balls as the Pro V1x, and the Lethal is just the Tour Preferred X with an older name

Edit: I was thinking of Z Stars, not Q Stars. Z Star is Srixon's Pro V1 counterpart.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 21, 2015

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Thank you. The spin thing is weird for me but overall I prefer the Srixon balls because they don't tear up as quickly compared to Titleists. I can last a whole round with a single ball.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Josh Lyman posted:

I've always wanted to play US Open style rough but that sounds hilarious(ly frustrating).

Is this in California? I've never heard of something like this happening.
You might have played it (didn't you live in Raleigh in the past?). Raleigh Golf Association. Apparently this rough is a new thing. It would be one thing if it was consistent and made sense to get punished where you hit it, but there would be random patches right off the fairway where you're finished even if your shot was fine. Anyone would have lost at least a sleeve of balls there.

I looked around at some reviews afterwards and the accusations seems to be they are just too lazy and/or broke to keep up the course anymore. I believe it because the course is run like poo poo. We had a 1:10 tee time but there is no reason to book one, it is just first come first serve on the first tee. We get there at 1:05 and carts were stacked up like 4 groups deep. Despite that, after the first hole we never had to wait and no one was on our rear end. Apparently back in the day this was a great course, but drat it sucks now. My friend used to play it as a kid but hadn't been there in 15 years and was amazed how far it has fallen. If you know Raleigh, Knights Play is kept up twice as well!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Booked a round Saturday at a course I've never played before. Country Club of Mount Dora, only 6500 from the tips, so tips it is on saturday! The weather here has been pretty much perfect lately so tee times were at a premium apparently as I had to go through almost 15 courses until I found a decent rate in the morning. Most courses were booked until noon or still wanted $60+ for a morning tee time.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I've always been a HORRIBLE iron striker with my tee shots and putting saving my rear end. I generally don't take divots, I blade a lot of short irons and my distance compared to my tee shots is really bad. I'm getting towards the end of my round last weekend after hitting like 2 GIR. I lay one on the fairway about my usual 260 step up for a 145 yard approach( literally a 7 iron for me) I take a sweet slow swing and I got a sensation like I've never felt before. I've always felt the ball somewhat even on what I thought were good strikes, but this one.. I can hardly describe it. When I hit, I thought it was fat because the only thing I felt was the ground and I took a pretty good divot. I looked up and the ball almost airmailed the green!!

I though it was a fluke until I did it again on the next hole. Felt the same and was 20 yards longer than normal. Is this the mythical hitting down on it properly I keep hearing about?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

I've always been a HORRIBLE iron striker with my tee shots and putting saving my rear end. I generally don't take divots, I blade a lot of short irons and my distance compared to my tee shots is really bad. I'm getting towards the end of my round last weekend after hitting like 2 GIR. I lay one on the fairway about my usual 260 step up for a 145 yard approach( literally a 7 iron for me) I take a sweet slow swing and I got a sensation like I've never felt before. I've always felt the ball somewhat even on what I thought were good strikes, but this one.. I can hardly describe it. When I hit, I thought it was fat because the only thing I felt was the ground and I took a pretty good divot. I looked up and the ball almost airmailed the green!!

I though it was a fluke until I did it again on the next hole. Felt the same and was 20 yards longer than normal. Is this the mythical hitting down on it properly I keep hearing about?

Bingo. :toot:

If you mark the ground where the ball was lined up, you should notice that the divot is actually a touch ahead of the ball. This creates that "pop" you want to find in most iron shots and should help bring the ball down pretty straight on most mid to short irons. Slowing down your swing likely created some lag, which is what you want. Payne Stewart was a world class iron hitter and had a ton of lag in his swing. He almost takes his hands back before the club head, which is how you used to have to load up hickory shafted golf clubs.

It is really really easy to get fast in your swing, and I get into that same habit really easily. Once or twice a round, I usually have tell myself to slow down and concentrate more on square contact. Even if it takes a little distance off the ball, I'd rather be short but straight, as opposed to long and off to the side. Today's clubs have huge sweet spots and if you can remember to let the club do the work, you're going to love how it works out. It's not to say you should decelerate as you're coming through the ball though, mind you.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 21, 2015

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I did some early testing of the new Q Stars and found them to spin a little more than their Pro V1 counterparts. In other words, the Q Star XV spun a touch more than the Pro V1x.

The Tour Preferred X is basically the exact same balls as the Pro V1x, and the Lethal is just the Tour Preferred X with an older name.

You're thinking Z Stars not Q stars.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

You're thinking Z Stars not Q stars.
Ugh, you're right. drat you Srixon!!! :argh:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Ugh, you're right. drat you Srixon!!! :argh:

Q Stars are like Velocities that spin slightly more.

I recently switched to the Z Star XV much to the detriment of my wallet.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
GUYS I SHOT AN 80

So, not a super hard course (65.6/115, ~5500 yards, Par 71, executive course kinda course) but I shot an 80, and played even par on the back nine. And the back nine is WAY harder than the front.

Now I'm in one of those golf moods where I'm counting down the days to playing again, and making sure I remember how my swing felt when it was clicking today.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grats homie :toot:

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

EnsGDT posted:

Now I'm in one of those golf moods where I'm counting down the days to playing again, and making sure I remember how my swing felt when it was clicking today.

you're gonna shoot 90+ next time out, you know that right?

jkjk.. congrats

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

EnsGDT posted:

GUYS I SHOT AN 80

So, not a super hard course (65.6/115, ~5500 yards, Par 71, executive course kinda course) but I shot an 80, and played even par on the back nine. And the back nine is WAY harder than the front.

DeBell? Sounds like DeBell, but I thought the rating/slope was a bit higher there...

Either way, congrats man.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

EnsGDT posted:

GUYS I SHOT AN 80

Well done, next stop even par :)

Saw this on Instagram, his first PGA Tour win was at the Shriners Open 1996:

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Halo14 posted:

Well done, next stop even par :)

Saw this on Instagram, his first PGA Tour win was at the Shriners Open 1996:

Lookit that shirt that's like 5 sizes too big! Did we all dress like that 20 years ago?! Christ it's been almost 20 years since then. :magical: