Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
This Sunday the NFL game in London will be streamed exclusively on Yahoo. Can't wait for that debacle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Yahoo is a company built off of losing money on stupid purchases. They picked up one good one but everything about their implementation of it was poor.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I still exclusively use the same yahoo email address that I had in 1998.

Same, although by exclusively - in my case I mean 'exclusively use it as my sign up to anywhere where I never want to receive an email or don't trust them not to spam the crap out of me'. It's got around 50,000 messages in it that I'll never check.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Calico Heart posted:

Man, this show really was a blight.

nah that's your posting

quote:

Remember when everyone was saying (Harmon included) that if the show didn't have to rely on the archaic nielson system it would be raking in the dollar?

no, what he said was that there was turns of people watching community, but they weren't being counted correctly. which was true! the views for season 6 of community were through the roof! turns out though that they weren't able to be monetized, which is ultimately yahoo's fault

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

nah that's your posting

no, what he said was that there was turns of people watching community, but they weren't being counted correctly. which was true! the views for season 6 of community were through the roof! turns out though that they weren't able to be monetized, which is ultimately yahoo's fault

It's pretty much this, yeah.

I don't doubt Harmon when he says viewership was significantly higher than what was reported when the show was on NBC. But not only did Yahoo fail to monetize it, they failed to get people to continue coming to Yahoo Screen after they had finished with the season. God loving knows I didn't.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's hard to say whether or not Community S6 would have been profitable on a well run streaming service, but it's fair to say Yahoo Screen is not that.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Sounds like someone is throwing an easy scapegoat under the bus, but I might be biased.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm not sure if I ever got ads either, and I was streaming from my 360.

It's like they thought they could make a video service just because other people were doing so, but they had no back catalogue or other incentive, and didn't really promote themselves.

Community actually got a good bit of promotion when it came out on Yahoo, I saw a lot of commercials for it.

It just turns out none of those commercials compelled me to actually use Yahoo Screen to watch the show.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

raditts posted:

Community actually got a good bit of promotion when it came out on Yahoo, I saw a lot of commercials for it.

It just turns out none of those commercials compelled me to actually use Yahoo Screen to watch the show.

I couldn't in my country so it was files for me. I don't even get it. If Yahoo was making the show and it was exclusively on their website, why did different country licensing even come into it?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dr_Amazing posted:

I couldn't in my country so it was files for me. I don't even get it. If Yahoo was making the show and it was exclusively on their website, why did different country licensing even come into it?

Maybe it has something to do with the Hollywood side of things. Would whoever owns the syndication rights be interested in blocking international viewing?

Like, since the show was originally on network, there's likely U.S. distribution rights and international distribution rights. If Sony withheld the international distribution from Yahoo, they could sell Season 6 overseas for syndicated TV broadcast as essentially a new season.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 21, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So when do we get a wrap-up movie made by Dan and Joel in Dan's basement? Everyone else will be played by cardboard cutouts but it'll be because it's experimental and meta.

Dan's going through some stuff right now so he's gonna have some great nihilism to put onscreen.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Yahoo was not banking on Community being some sort of balls-to-the-wall amazing hit. They wanted Community because it brought enough immediate attention to its service. It was about buying credibility as a studio and a platform.

Since they had nothing else to offer (Other Space was great, but it had next to no production values and was something that could easily have been a youtube webseries), no one cared. And because Community was already considered dead by most people, no one cared *twice.*

I'm happy they did it because we got twelve mostly pleasant new episodes of the show and the great finale it deserved. But it was pretty much a complete failure from Yahoo's angle. That's what happens, though. Companies with a lot of cash that are slowly but surely losing money throw lots of expensive things at the wall and see what sticks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ashpanash posted:

I'm happy they did it because we got twelve mostly pleasant new episodes of the show and the great finale it deserved.

This is me, really. I feel like with season 6, Community ended in a good place. It was a long and tortured road, but I'm happy.

I mean I'd be happier if Sony put out 'And a Movie', direct to DVD, but it's unlikely. And to be fair I mainly want it because of payoff to the six seasons and a movie thing. The finale was amazing.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 21, 2015

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
I wondered if I was the only one who used the Yahoo Screen apps (iPad and Roku) for the entire season and didn't get a single ad. It seems not. Good job, Yahoo!

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Dr_Amazing posted:

It was still being made by Sony- they just licensed it to Yahoo instead of NBC for the final season. Broadcasters in other regions may have held onto their deals with Sony, precluding Yahoo from streaming it to that country.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Hopefully Sony will still release season 6 on DVD. Hell, I'd buy Other Space on DVD too.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

ETB posted:

Sounds like someone is throwing an easy scapegoat under the bus, but I might be biased.

Seems like it. If Yahoo was giving Dan honest reports on the numbers and he wasn't exaggerating, they should have been doing well enough to at least somewhat pay off the cost, rather than a complete wash. The CMO that decided to buy Community and the other two shows has left, though, and it's easy for the CFO to blame her decision rather than the much bigger and more damning issue of them totally failing to find advertiser money.

What's weird is the article says the company still is interested in making something happen with the show. Which is sad because, as everyone else has said, I'd much rather have more Other Space than wringing the dried husk of Community for more.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Dan's apparently making something for that NBC comedy thing, so I guess he's making a niche for himself of producing content for doomed streaming services.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

hey, the money's green

p funny he's going back to NBC though, but again, hey the money's green

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Sony was the problem, not NBC.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Comrade Fakename posted:

Dan's apparently making something for that NBC comedy thing, so I guess he's making a niche for himself of producing content for doomed streaming services.

Before Rick & Morty happened he was talking up projects with CBS and Fox that never materialized so I'd take it with a giant grain of unmedicated narcissistic salt.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sleeveless posted:

Before Rick & Morty happened he was talking up projects with CBS and Fox that never materialized so I'd take it with a giant grain of unmedicated narcissistic salt.

Those were pilots, not projects, and they weren't picked up- which happens literally all the time with pilots. From what I hear Harmon's already got a series order from Seeso (NBC's new streaming service) which means that they're not equivalent situations at all.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

Those were pilots, not projects, and they weren't picked up- which happens literally all the time with pilots. From what I hear Harmon's already got a series order from Seeso (NBC's new streaming service) which means that they're not equivalent situations at all.

Ah, that's where Harmonquest is going.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Toxxupation posted:

That's because he didn't write them

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Golden Bee posted:

That's because he didn't write them

dude he had a huge thing in that documentary where he had to spend time on the road writing the pilots

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Toxxupation posted:

hey, the money's green

p funny he's going back to NBC though, but again, hey the money's green

When he went back for season 5 he said there was no point in staying mad at a network. It's ton of different people, and a year later everyone's moved around and it's a whole new set of people.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Toxxupation posted:

dude he had a huge thing in that documentary where he had to spend time on the road writing the pilots

The documentary ends saying that he never finished writing one and that one wasn't picked up so you're both right.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

It's NBC talking about how they have a Dan Harmon show, not Harmon talking about how he has an NBC show, so presumably it's a done deal.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

I just started listening to Harmontown and the episode on their national tour where a girl in the audience falls asleep during the D&D segment and Erin singles her our and berates her until she runs away crying to the restroom is really creepy and uncomfortable. Especially when she actually chases her down and then drags her back on stage later on to show that it's totally cool you guys, haha just another wild and crazy time at Harmontown, cue that peepee doodoo song :xd:

Coincidentally, I also just listened to this episode (also working my way through Harmontown) and you're seriously blowing this out of proportion. A crazy drunk lady was called upon, she then took the opportunity to shout drunk nonsense through the rest of the show, Erin got angry with her about it (probably more than the situation demanded, but it was hardly even noteworthy) , it turned out later that she'd gone to the toilets to cry, and no one was particularly disturbed by this because everyone realised it was because she was super drunk.

That's all.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
If you're looking for uncomfortable, I'd say that Erin and Dan together make part of the Minneapolis episode of Harmoncountry really unpleasant. Dan makes a comment about his relationship with Erin to cheers and one guy ironically boos. Dan singles him out then drags him up on stage and Dan and Erin, clearly bothered by it, begin to interrogate the guy about what he meant. When the guy admits that he disliked their intense relationship talk from a previous episode, they begin to tear into the guy. You see a really nasty side of both of them and, while Spencer finally intervenes and tells them the guy was just trying to funny to calm things down, Dan and Erin both take passive aggressive parting shots at the guy before dismissing him.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
I listened to an episode where Erin made a comment about how Dan can't let things go, then he went on a 20 minute rant about how Rom coms are terrible while she kept trying to change the subject. Eventually she said she was leaving him and would be out in the parking lot with her mouth open to give oral to anyone that walked by. The end of the show was Dan making up the plot of a new exiting movie while Erin went into detail about how many dudes she was going to blow.

It was supposed to be a joke but I felt uncomfortable listening to it. It doesn't surprise me that their relationship isn't going so well. I could see how it would be unpleasant to be in a relationship with either of them.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

The Dark One posted:

Ah, that's where Harmonquest is going.

Please tell me this is a series where they take the D&D segments from the podcast and animate them.

http://www.starburnsindustries.com/tag/harmonquest/

Close enough. I'm on board for that one.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

EricFate posted:

Please tell me this is a series where they take the D&D segments from the podcast and animate them.

Yup, that's why they switched to playing ten-minutes-or-less-of-Shadowrun™ each week instead.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

The Dark One posted:

Yup, that's why they switched to playing ten-minutes-or-less-of-Shadowrun™ each week instead.

To be fair they were already there. They are bad at getting to it and bad at doing anything.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

EricFate posted:

So Erin is still playing with them? That seems like a recipe for disaster.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dr_Amazing posted:

So Erin is still playing with them? That seems like a recipe for disaster.

I think they've already played most, if not all, of the game sessions. Also, from how Dan talks about it, it definitely sounds like wants to still be friends with Erin.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Britta's mangled aphorisms are based on one of Harmon's exes. :allears:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Why is this thread around? :gas:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Austrian mook posted:

So people can talk about Dan Harmon's trainwreck of a personal life and his podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Austrian mook posted:

People will be posting here until the movie is announced in 3 years.

• Locked thread