Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
11 members of the HFC have now publicly rejected Paul Ryan as speaker, enough to doom his candidacy for speaker

:unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

and who said HFC wasn't bad for your health :v:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Trabisnikof posted:

How on earth do you think sweeping electoral reform would occur without a semblance of compromise between the two parties?

Technically you could do it with a bare majority in Congress and the Presidency. Congress can override state laws on the time, place, and manner of elections for Congress.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

11 members of the HFC have now publicly rejected Paul Ryan as speaker, enough to doom his candidacy for speaker

What does HFC stand for now? I keep reading either Hellfire Club or Hillary Fuckin' Clinton.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
HFC = House Freedom Caucus = Raiders of the Tortilla Coast = insane teabaggers who love death

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
House Freedom Caucus?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

House Freedom Caucus

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Everblight posted:

What does HFC stand for now? I keep reading either Hellfire Club or Hillary Fuckin' Clinton.

House freedom caucus, the formal name for the house portion of the raiders of tortilla coast

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Fried Chicken posted:

:unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJq4jWSQNd8

State of the GOP right here.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Antti posted:

I listened to it today and can't recommend it enough.

I'm almost embarrassed by how shocked I was when I heard what the conspiracy theory was. I thought it would be that right-wing elements in the government killed Rabin and framed a stooge. Oh, no, actually, Rabin tried to fake an assassination attempt on himself and then hosed it up and died. And the resulting wave of sympathy for Rabin resulted in... twenty years of right-wing rule and the literal and figurative demolition of the Oslo process.

At least with Trutherism, the cui bono principle leads to the theory down a path resembling logic. Rabin trutherism is just pure :psyduck:

Isreali politics is just super depressing on every level.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Newsweek just put up a long article called Benghazi Biopsy: A Comprehensive Guide to One of America’s Worst Political Outrages that covers both the attacks and the continuing investigations. It also tries to do a breakdown of the popular Republican conspiracy theories. Worth a read if you've got the time.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

To explain the math here (such as it is), Ryan demanded he secure the endorsement of all the major caucuses within the GOP as a condition for his taking the job. According to the HFC internal rules, you need 4/5ths support of the caucus to secure their endorsement. Anyone opposed by more than 8 members could therefore not get their endorsement, which would be refusing to comply with Ryan's demands.

Now obviously Ryan could accept regardless, or the HFC could change their rules, or they could fudge and claim the HFC isn't a "major" caucus, or whatever. But as it stands the house has rejected Ryan's demands

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fried Chicken posted:

To explain the math here (such as it is), Ryan demanded he secure the endorsement of all the major caucuses within the GOP as a condition for his taking the job. According to the HFC internal rules, you need 4/5ths support of the caucus to secure their endorsement. Anyone opposed by more than 8 members could therefore not get their endorsement, which would be refusing to comply with Ryan's demands.

Now obviously Ryan could accept regardless, or the HFC could change their rules, or they could fudge and claim the HFC isn't a "major" caucus, or whatever. But as it stands the house has rejected Ryan's demands

He could fudge and say enough of them support him to count (51%) even if they do not endorse him as a caucus. But I doubt he would, he left himself this out for a reason.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

He could fudge and say enough of them support him to count (51%) even if they do not endorse him as a caucus. But I doubt he would, he left himself this out for a reason.

Was there ever any reasonable uncertainty about how the HFC would vote on him?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Sharkie posted:

I believe that Ryan could conceive of a universe where the HFC made a show of submission to allow him to be speaker without all the bullshit. What he didn't understand is that the HFC members' primary interest is in fighting other republicans. Whether or not he's a RINO is irrelevant: if he's the Speaker, they badly need him to be one.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sharkie posted:

No, but there wasn't reasonable uncertainty about who was winning in 2012 on election night and yet Paul Ryan was still suprised.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

evilweasel posted:

Technically you could do it with a bare majority in Congress and the Presidency. Congress can override state laws on the time, place, and manner of elections for Congress.

Yes, but this won't be a platform any politician will have any time soon. People might take notice once Canada does it, though.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

evilweasel posted:

No, but there wasn't reasonable uncertainty about who was winning in 2012 on election night and yet Paul Ryan was still suprised.

Lest we forget...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TwuR0jCavk

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

evilweasel posted:

Paul Ryan thought mentioning death by car accident during the Veep debates was a prudent choice that would in no way backfire and hand a silver opportunity to Joebiden.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Another white guy leaving pipe bombs everywhere. When will the madness end!?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I was hoping CM Punk was reacting poorly to the Cubs being dogshit in the postseason and you'd posted in the wrong thread.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

Paul Ryan thought mentioning death by car accident during the Veep debates was a prudent choice that would in no way backfire and hand a silver opportunity to Joebiden.

Jesus, I'd forgotten about that. So stupid it had to be intentional. Nobody fucks up that bad accidentally, you have to actually make a concerted effort to poo poo the bed so densely.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Holy poo poo I forgot all about that cavalcade of madness. Watched the whole thing as a time capsule for The Day The Right Lost Their Goddamned Minds :allears:

Watching the swift excommunication of Rove from the right wing elite is just as cathartic now as it was then.

"searching for a motive" is either really easy or really hard in Florida, I'm not sure

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Republicans in Congress have lost ground against Barack Obama in blame over the government shutdown, with Americans expressing increasing criticism of both parties in Washington, while the president's avoided that rise in public ire.

quote:

Seventy percent in a new ABC News/Washington Post poll disapprove of how the Republicans in Congress are handling the budget negotiations, up 7 percentage points from a week ago. Far fewer, 51 percent, disapprove of Obama's approach, essentially unchanged in the past week.
The Democrats in Congress remain between the two: Sixty-one percent disapprove of their handling of the budget breakdown, up 5 points in this poll, produced for ABC by Langer Research Associates.
In another way to look at the results, Obama's gone from 41-50 percent approve-disapprove last week to 45-51 percent now - a 9-point negative margin then, a similar 6-point negative margin today. The Democrats likewise show little change overall (from a 22- to a 26-point negative gap). But the Republicans have gone from 26-63 percent approve-disapprove to 24-70 percent, an initial 37-point difference widening now to a 46-point negative result.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

nice

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Duke Igthorn posted:

The Republicans in Congress have lost ground against Barack Obama in blame over the government shutdown, with Americans expressing increasing criticism of both parties in Washington, while the president's avoided that rise in public ire.

Ha ha these are both great

The elephant looks so scared but hungry in the first one and so pleased in the second

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Goddamn

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Fried Chicken posted:

I need a stronger word than schadenfreude. Schadengasmus for Hate-gasm?

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Mitt Romney posted:

Obama's poll numbers were more damaged from the 2011 debt ceiling crisis compared to the GOP. That's even with Obama offering a poo poo ton of stuff in the negotiations.

People here kind of live in a bubble and think these polls mean something. Most people don't understand how a bill is passed. I would venture most wouldn't be able to name the three branches of government. All they know is Obama is president which is important cause he is the head of the state and there are issues with nothing being done. These polls don't mean poo poo when you consider the types of people who will take the time to answer them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I always take the time to answer polls as I feel it's my responsibility.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

mdemone posted:

Jesus, I'd forgotten about that. So stupid it had to be intentional. Nobody fucks up that bad accidentally, you have to actually make a concerted effort to poo poo the bed so densely.

I actually forgot about that as well someone post the video to Paul Ryan mentioning the car accident.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

So Ryan's staff has said that the HFC is who determines what constitutes an endorsement, not Ryan

HFC looks to vote on if they will support Ryan or not, but haven't decided and may postpone their vote

My money is they vote and vote not to endorse

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Hollismason posted:

I actually forgot about that as well someone post the video to Paul Ryan mentioning the car accident.

I'm going to guess it was in response to a question with a statistic about gun deaths

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ryan's actually being smarter here than I would have expected. He realizes that the job is a lovely job, and his list of "demands" basically amounts to a list of reasons why he'd be an idiot to accept the job. If the GOP somehow, miraculously, fixes all those things, then sure he'll take it. Either way he doesn't get stuck with a career-ruining move, and he looks vaguely in control meanwhile.

I've had someone tell me that the GOP "has no other choice" than Ryan, but that's irrelevant. He apparently isn't enough of a sucker.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Guys, I think we found the answer...
Waka for Speaker of the House

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Mitt Romney posted:

That is a good point.

This is the same guy who on election day in 2012 was giddy because he thought they were going to win and was already picking out replacements for himself on his committee.

His family excuses is a bullshit way of saying he's doesn't want to bother doing any fundraising like Boehner has. He's a power hungry politician, just like 99% of them are. You're eating up PR from his team.

Counterpoint: he was giddy because he thought he was just elected to the Vice Presidency, the most do-nothingest job in the US Government. That's like apex minimum effort/maximal rewards.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Ditocoaf posted:

Ryan's actually being smarter here than I would have expected. He realizes that the job is a lovely job, and his list of "demands" basically amounts to a list of reasons why he doesn't want the job. If the GOP somehow, miraculously, fixes all those things, then sure he'll take it. Either way he doesn't get stuck with a career-ruining move, and he looks vaguely in control meanwhile.

I've had someone tell me that the GOP "has no other choice" than Ryan, but that's irrelevant. He apparently isn't enough of a sucker.

Its kind of weird seeing a member of the GOP showing signs of borderline self awareness but I guess self enrichment has never really been their failing.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Ditocoaf posted:

Ryan's actually being smarter here than I would have expected. He realizes that the job is a lovely job, and his list of "demands" basically amounts to a list of reasons why he doesn't want the job. If the GOP somehow, miraculously, fixes all those things, then sure he'll take it. Either way he doesn't get stuck with a career-ruining move, and he looks vaguely in control meanwhile.

This is very much how I read it. He'll happily lead a party that wants to be led, if he can do it without making too much of an effort, but he'll be hosed if he's going to jump on the grenade just for the good of the party or some bullshit altruistic reason like that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

evilweasel posted:

Whereupon John Boehner wraps his arms around Paul Ryan's (slender) legs and begs to be let out of this nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
What is the official procedure for electing a new Speaker if the current Speaker blows his brains out on national TV in front of Congress

• Locked thread