Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I live in Columbus so I guess I should check that out. The conference at COSI looks cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Anybody who goes to see Kole and Gary at COSI should check this thing out:

http://cosi.org/exhibits/adventure

Outwardly it's targeted at kids, but there's a lot more to it. You'll see groups of adult nerds stomping around with flashlights and clipboards...

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
What's the name of the youtube channel about comic arcs that got mentioned in the latest Abject Suffering?

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JVNNRmxupo

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

What's the name of the youtube channel about comic arcs that got mentioned in the latest Abject Suffering?
I don't know if it's the same one, but Comicstorian is pretty good.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JVNNRmxupo

Comics Explained, I think.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qkKXbJ2pAQ

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Since we were talking about Okami itt last week it seems like a good place to post the realization I just had, which is that the Wii U is basically the perfect platform for an Okami sequel (which will never happen and if it does it will probably be poo poo)

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Since we were talking about Okami itt last week it seems like a good place to post the realization I just had, which is that the Wii U is basically the perfect platform for an Okami sequel (which will never happen and if it does it will probably be poo poo)

That's actually a really great idea. A sequel won't happen but a remaster/remake seems slightly more possible and would be rad. Make the intro skipable, incorporate the screen, badaboom.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Wii U's place in history will be "something neat could've been here."

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Someone at Capcom clearly thinks Okami has the potential to be a big popular game but I don't think any version of the game (PS2, Wii, HD remaster, or the DS sequel) sold very well so it's probably not coming back anytime soon.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Woffle posted:

That's actually a really great idea. A sequel won't happen but a remaster/remake seems slightly more possible and would be rad. Make the intro skipable, incorporate the screen, badaboom.

gotta find another website to watermark the boxart first, though

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
This weeks crate and crowbar is great, already crossed three things off my wish list on steam 45 minutes in.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Solemn Sloth posted:

This weeks crate and crowbar is great, already crossed three things off my wish list on steam 45 minutes in.

If you're talking about their take on the steam hardware, I felt like they were a bit off the mark. The controller is super weird and hit or miss based on people trying the one I've got, but the link worked pretty well for the most part right out of the box, and they've been running out patches in the steam beta client almost daily since I got it. It's loving great and exactly what I wanted. The controller definitely needs some more time for people to figure out how to configure it though. None of the stuff I got was outright broken like they described.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Stan Taylor posted:

If you're talking about their take on the steam hardware, I felt like they were a bit off the mark. The controller is super weird and hit or miss based on people trying the one I've got, but the link worked pretty well for the most part right out of the box, and they've been running out patches in the steam beta client almost daily since I got it. It's loving great and exactly what I wanted. The controller definitely needs some more time for people to figure out how to configure it though. None of the stuff I got was outright broken like they described.

Yeah, I didn't particularly want a Steam Link but after reading up on it this week I went ahead and ordered one. Almost every impression has been very positive, and I had no idea you could pair a DS4 controller or stream video by adding your media player's shortcut to Steam.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

Does the controller function outside of Steam Big Picture Mode? I.e. can I use the track pads to navigate as I would on a laptop?

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

AngryBooch posted:

Does the controller function outside of Steam Big Picture Mode? I.e. can I use the track pads to navigate as I would on a laptop?

When you first plug the steam controller in it registers as a mouse, with one of the touchpads acting as a trackpad and a trigger acting as a mouse button. Other buttons also have default OS button binds too. I'm not sure how configurable it is because I haven't tried, but I was able to browse to my steam directory and launch steam in Windows Explorer with the steam controller. So yeah it does mouse stuff.

ja2ke fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 25, 2015

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ja2ke posted:

I'm not sure how configurable it is because I haven't tried,

100%, under big picture mode -> settings -> controller configurations -> Desktop. I think they actually added that in the last week or so, the menu is different than when I first looked. There are grayed-out spots for big picture mode config and web browser config too, which will be nice. The first thing I tried to do was figure out how to make the paddles be left and right click instead of the shoulders.

I have problems with inconsistent detection that I haven't figured out. Some combination of steam being on or off or in big picture mode can make it not notice the controller turned on. Annoying.

I like the controller a lot, but I haven't used it for anything really action oriented like an FPS besides just to test it. Felt weird. It works great for playing Pillars of Eternity or Shadowrun from the couch, though. At least so far. Anything pausable or turn based that needed a mouse. Dungeon of the Endless works basically perfectly.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I want my first Steam Controller experience to be Neverwinter Nights 2. Just jump right into a game with an abysmal combination of camera+direct control, and see if somehow that controller makes it work.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Those who actually have NWN2 on Steam, I salute you

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Did any one of you watch the amazing coast guard video?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Those who actually have NWN2 on Steam, I salute you

I wish it were more playable. That game is my textbook definition of "hot mess".

Also in relation to the "boil up some Mt. Dew" line: I knew guys who would actually do this at LAN parties because they swore it "made the caffeine purer" or some poo poo to just be drinking what was effectively hot syrup. I kinda doubt that was the KotH writers' inspiration, but who knows, maybe they knew the type too.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Jippa posted:

Did any one of you watch the amazing coast guard video?

sorry but that video is pretty bad and im in the actual coast guard.

i mean i find it funny in a sad sort of way that that got everything wrong, but its so bad and wrong i cant find it funny,

plus that guy doing that video is super annoying.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

sorry but that video is pretty bad and im in the actual coast guard.

i mean i find it funny in a sad sort of way that that got everything wrong, but its so bad and wrong i cant find it funny,

plus that guy doing that video is super annoying.

What is official protocol with ghost ships? :)

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Jippa posted:

What is official protocol with ghost ships? :)

be motherfucking profesionals about it

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Here is an extremely wikipedia article on how the US Coast Guard managed a real life G-g-gho-gho-ghost ship

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
So, after almost 30 years, I just now learn that you can strafe in Blaster Master. Thank you, WOFF!

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

So you're saying official protocol on ghost ships is "shoot the fucker."

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Opposing Farce posted:

Yeah, in the Navy if a ship isn't safe to be sold/scrapped/stored then it's loving target practice.

Although that Coast Guard game looks hilarious. I don't know, if given a chance to make a game about my days sailing the seven seas it would either be a real time cleaning simulator or the most bizarre game of Sid Meier's Pirates with modern equipment.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Opposing Farce posted:

quote:

On 5 April 2012, the Canadian fishing vessel Bernice C attempted to salvage the stricken vessel, but a ruptured fuel tank proved impossible to pump out and a tow failed. The U.S. Coast Guard then determined that sinking the abandoned vessel was necessary to prevent it running aground or becoming a hazard to navigation. The Anacapa fired upon it with a Mk 38 25mm autocannon, holing and sinking the Ryou-Un Maru in approximately 1,800-metre (6,000 ft) of water in the Gulf of Alaska 180 miles (290 km) off the coast of the Alaskan Panhandle.

And to re-quote myself:

ElMaligno posted:

be motherfucking profesionals about it

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh man, talk about timing: 3MA this week did their show on King of Dragon Pass.

Looks like Gary and Kole got the scoop on this old game that's incredibly endearing.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/30/9642984/neko-atsume-kitty-collector-update-english-ios-android

quote:

Neko Atsume, the adorable, stray cat-centric Japanese mobile game for iOS and Android devices, has received its biggest, most important update: an option to play the game in English.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Magic destroyed. :(

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Listened to the latest The Level. I'm going to be interested to hear Dennis' final take on the Talos Principle in a few weeks. It's a fair bit longer than he thinks, and the story does get pretty good. Probably my favorite game last year.

CaptainCanada
Mar 14, 2011

Shto?
I'm driving from Southern California to Seattle Washington (Hahaha, kill me) and I need something to listen to. So i come here to beg for suggestions. I always enjoy those Giant bomb GOTY podcasts. Any particular good years or other podcasts I should try out?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Download all of A Life Well Wasted if you haven't heard them.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Phone posted:

Download all of A Life Well Wasted if you haven't heard them.

I will second the hell out of this. Honestly of the stuff in the OP I'd recommend picking a few Duckfeed podcasts (Abject Suffering and Teenage Dirtbags are pretty timeless if you want shorter stuff), or grabbing the Giant Beastcast if it's escaped you so far. I don't want to throw out things that tend to be more time-sensitive because coming to those late is boring and/or miserable depending on topic.

If you want non-gaming stuff and just need podcasts, period, I would probably point you at I Don't Even Own A Television or the partly-game based Laser Time network of shows.

Have a good trip and as a fellow SoCal resident, best of luck on whatever's driving you out

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Have people been tweeting at J Allard for idle thumbs? :)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I Don't Even Own a Podcast Television Podcast is pretty good, but really depends on the strength of its guest. Just keep in mind you'll need to skip some episodes because his guest is a dud.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

I Don't Even Own a Podcast Television Podcast is pretty good, but really depends on the strength of its guest. Just keep in mind you'll need to skip some episodes because his guest is a dud.
You're safe to skip basically everything before Collision came on (Ep 28), and then go back for a couple of the early hits later.

And on a similar note, if you just want podcasts more broadly, I 100% thoroughly recommend The F Plus and We Hate Movies.

For gaming stuff, if you want to go for just the hits of yesterday, the This Year collections of 1Up Yours (2007) (alternatively: 1Up Yours top 40 moments according to This Year listeners), GFW Radio (2008), Idle Thumbs (Season 1?), The Hot Spot (top 40), or probably any of their Bombcast or Retronauts ones would all be worth a try and will def. get you through several hours each.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
If the sound quality is what was keeping you from getting into Crate & Crowbar, they got new mics a few weeks back. They still have some issues with the mix but it sounds a lot better than before. Except for this last episode because only one of them can work the new mics and he wasn't there so they did the old method.

Good pod.

• Locked thread