Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Heretic sounds loving sweet, not gonna lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Musketeer sounds smug and awesome. So of course she wont win. :sigh:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
All of those sound great and as someone who didn't back the Kickstarter I hope none of them get made :mad:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Exclusive content is bad. Just make those all for eveyone.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I would like greater aesthetic variety within each class. The 3 or 4 palette swaps just aren't enough. Gimme different helmets for BH's and Crusaders, hats for Jesters, masks for Lepers, etc. Put me in a paradoxical conundrum up customizing my disposable snowflakes.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

All of those sound great and as someone who didn't back the Kickstarter I hope none of them get made :mad:

Same but I hope it's available to us ignorant plebs somehow.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I would like greater aesthetic variety within each class. The 3 or 4 palette swaps just aren't enough. Gimme different helmets for BH's and Crusaders, hats for Jesters, masks for Lepers, etc. Put me in a paradoxical conundrum up customizing my disposable snowflakes.

I'd actually like more moveset variety. Like how there are 3 generic camping skills and 3 class specific camping skills I'd like for each class to have like 3 or 4 signature skill options they always have, and then the rest selected from a random pool. That means each crusader will be slightly different in what they have available. Because even though Crusader 1 and Crusader 2 are slightly different colors, my playstyle with each is identical because they have an identical skillset.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Witch sounds great. I'm super jealous.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This would also be great.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Norns posted:

Exclusive content is bad. Just make those all for eveyone.

The worst kind, too. Get on at the ground floor, or get bent. :(

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

They are just reskins of existing classes right? With the same moves and everything but new graphics/barks? I'm okay with missing out on that. They should probably make it DLC for anyone who wants it that bad but at least it's not an actual new class.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah it's aesthetic stuff not hard game-play stuff. It's the sort of thing I'd imagine would eventually be a small purchase that everyone can get, seeing as people buy similar things in other games.

But I agree with everyone that more aesthetic variety on everything would be good.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
yeah, kickstarter exclusives more or less always wind up being released later as mini-dlc, so i dont really mind

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

hooman posted:

I'd actually like more moveset variety. Like how there are 3 generic camping skills and 3 class specific camping skills I'd like for each class to have like 3 or 4 signature skill options they always have, and then the rest selected from a random pool. That means each crusader will be slightly different in what they have available. Because even though Crusader 1 and Crusader 2 are slightly different colors, my playstyle with each is identical because they have an identical skillset.
Yeah that's true. Also I wouldn't be against purely cosmetic dlcs. I would prefer that to classed limited to kickstarter backers i can or can't buy later. Time limited/exlusive game mechamisms dlcs are bad.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 22, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

:agreed:

Also, a Highwayman skin that gives him a tricorne hat and replaces his knife hand with a hook.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Drowned Crew counts as Unholy right? And since the anchor guy is only one wide, would two Crusaders be a good idea to bring against them? My thought was they should be able to chop up the anchor guy easily and could Holy Lance their way back up to the front if the boss shuffles another party member in front with All Hands On Deck.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I've read that most people just knock the anchor guy back because literally all he does is the anchor thing and it's only useable from the front. Don't quote me on that as I've never done it myself and your double crusader idea sounds much cooler than removing a fight mechanic.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm bummed the final version doesn't come out till January, but on the other hand id rather play a polished game a few months from now than a buggy mess tomorrow .

I have a few thoughts about the Ancestor- I think he's possessed, and still in the Estate. Much of the memoirs suggest a man that became increasingly corrupted. Everybody that helped him he betrayed or eventually cast out. When the villagers got wise to him he hired Ye Olde Blackwater mercenaries to suppress demonstrations. The intro makes it sound like he's just this bored rich guy that got way over his head, but I'm sure there's more to it. What does developing poisons, resurrecting the dead, and mutating pigs have to do with finding the portal? He implies he learned this through 'research' but it sounds more like something from the other side was guiding him.

In the intro its not explicitly stated whether the portal was opened, just that stuff got crazy and he was the only one to escape. I find this awfully convenient; I think what really happened is that XYZ still needed to happen for the portal to completely open, so the creatures compelled him to send for help. I don't think he's really dead either, maybe he got completely possessed, maybe he's living in some Kafkaesque existence, something. I'm betting in the final dungeon you encounter him and it turns out the adventurers were somehow instrumental in serving as the last step to opening the portal.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

One of the post-mission narrator barks ends in something like "but I was already dead... and the letter was on its way..."

I mean, not that this is counter to what you're suggesting - I just don't think he's still in the mansion and physically unchanged, if you get my drift.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

One of the post-mission narrator barks ends in something like "but I was already dead... and the letter was on its way..."

I mean, not that this is counter to what you're suggesting - I just don't think he's still in the mansion and physically unchanged, if you get my drift.
The final boss will probably enter this reality through the bullet hole in his head.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Toplowtech posted:

The final boss will probably enter this reality through the bullet hole in his head.
The portal was in his head the whole time! :supaburn:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Still some questions:
-What did he hope to find in the portal?
-It's too coincidental that he was the only one to see what got revealed and survive long enough to write the letter.
-Nobody knows how much time had passed since the letter was written.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm imagining the Caretaker introducing the Estate to all the Fresh Meat Adventurers that arrive by stagecoach in a Jud Crandall impression:

"That there up yondah is the old Estate. Them Micmacs used to live round those parts, till the ground went sour and they cleared out. They say an old rich man holed up in that mansion for some time, till he got a diggin' for something terrible. I heah he went so mad he took a flintlock to the noggin. Sometimes dead is better."

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the caretaker is the Ancestor

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
That was my thought too.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

So uh, is the Jester the class you're not meant to take ever or am I missing something here?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Occultist - Jester - Leper - Leper

Make it work and you will know you have mastered the game.

Really though, I had some success with a team that had two Jesters and a Grave Robber. It was supposed to be two Grave Robbers and then whatever else could work well with them, but the game decided to never give me Grave Robbers but flood me with Jesters that had great starting traits, so I ran with it. It would probably have been better with at least one more Grave Robber instead of the second Jester, but it worked well. You kind of rely on Dodge to a certain degree, though.

Edit: To actually say something about the class, the Jester needs to be in the right group more than maybe any other class imo, otherwise he's got problems with moving backwards in the party order and will not have as many options open to him at a given time as he needs to be worth it.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 22, 2015

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Drone_Fragger posted:

So uh, is the Jester the class you're not meant to take ever or am I missing something here?

Once upon a time I used to think that myself. He's just not the best offensive wise. His bleeds pale in comparison to Hellion/BH and his Finale is trash compared to Highwayman. You take him along to save money and time. He is incredible at relieving stress and buffing your dudes into critstorm territories. The longer a scenario, the easier it is to remove all stress from everyone. That and his buff stacks up to 3 times so depending on how well things play out you can outrun Wilbur or those weird polyps that the Shambler spawns.

I just wish his moves were a bit more flexible. If you make him a mid-range offense-man his lunge/finale fucks up your formations, and if you make him a support role then 6 of his moves are unavailable for the most part. Maybe make Solo not send you flying to the front row or make Inspiring tune available from the 3rd spot of your party.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Wizard Styles posted:

Occultist - Jester - Leper - Leper

Make it work and you will know you have mastered the game.

This is not that bad of a team. Battle Ballad is especially good for Lepers to get their accuracy up. Occultist - Leper clashes somewhat due to the Leper's lower bleed resist, but the Leper's self-heal is a good way around that.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I bought this a long time ago and quit for a few months. Just picked it back up. It's amazing how good of a decision it was to let players lock in positive quirks, I feel like I have some control over character development now and get way more invested in my little army of doomed assholes.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Highwang posted:

Once upon a time I used to think that myself. He's just not the best offensive wise. His bleeds pale in comparison to Hellion/BH and his Finale is trash compared to Highwayman. You take him along to save money and time. He is incredible at relieving stress and buffing your dudes into critstorm territories. The longer a scenario, the easier it is to remove all stress from everyone. That and his buff stacks up to 3 times so depending on how well things play out you can outrun Wilbur or those weird polyps that the Shambler spawns.

I just wish his moves were a bit more flexible. If you make him a mid-range offense-man his lunge/finale fucks up your formations, and if you make him a support role then 6 of his moves are unavailable for the most part. Maybe make Solo not send you flying to the front row or make Inspiring tune available from the 3rd spot of your party.

See, my solution to not getting stressed out is to kill things, which works a hell of a lot better than having the Jester de-stress people. The buffer for stress is a lot higher than the buffer for HP, so throwing in a Vestal with +heal% items seems like a hell of a lot better idea than throwing in a Jester with stress reduction. And if I take along a Jester and a Vestal, that's a party that is seriously lacking in hurt.

I want to like Jesters, but every time I do I find myself wishing I had pretty much any other row-appropriate class instead. If I wanted someone who dashed between rows but was actually useful I'd use a Highwayman or Grave Robber.

The Mattybee fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 23, 2015

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

I bought this a long time ago and quit for a few months. Just picked it back up. It's amazing how good of a decision it was to let players lock in positive quirks, I feel like I have some control over character development now and get way more invested in my little army of doomed assholes.

That just makes it sting a bit more when you lose them.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Finally I get to play this game in three months... I have this issue where if I play something, for example a game in early access, I will never touch it again when it becomes fully released and has most of the features.

Darkest Dungeon has made sure I will never buy an early access game or kickstart a game ever again. Game has been on sale like 5 times and it hasn't even officially released yet.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I had a level 6 Jester kick the bucket about two months ago and I've been trying off and on to get another one back to level 6. The last one made it to level 5 before a series of unfortunate criticals and DoT effects sent him flying off the mortal coil, so I've resolved to start anew and... yeesh. It sucks, man. When the game first came out, I was convinced that the Jester was secret top-tier, but the longer it goes on, the more apparent it becomes that he's actually the worst. Battle Ballad is just plain too slow to make much difference in anything except extremely long, protracted fights because pretty much any other character would be able to kill, severely injure, or Stun an enemy. Pretty much the only use for it that I've found is to increase your allies' Speed stat so they have a much better chance of going first in a situation where you absolutely need to kill an enemy before they have a chance to take a turn (but, again, a more powerful party member would just get the kill and skip the extra step).

How is it that his Bleed DoT is worse than the Hellion's? Honestly, I think that his base damage should be left alone and his Bleed DoT should do like 3 more damage/round and his natural Dodge score should be increased by 5-10 points. Then, at the very least, he'd be a mobile, evasive DoT machine with situational buffing capabilities. And his new Finale skill shouldn't apply a debuff at all. Simply having it knock him to the back row is more than enough compensation since he can't quickly get back to rank 1 to do it again. Maybe they want to differentiate it from the Highwayman's Point Blank Shot, but in that case, just tone down the damage by about 15% and give it a big Bleed DoT instead. Jesus. There are so many good classes in this game--they even got the Plague Doctor to the point where she's usable--but it really seems like they have no idea what to do with the Jester. Unlike the Houndmaster, the Jester's weakness in combat is not meaningfully compensated for in any way. Maybe they could just double the effect of the Jester's Battle Ballad and make it last for one round only? I don't know, but they really need to figure out what they want the Jester to do.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

The Mattybee posted:

See, my solution to not getting stressed out is to kill things, which works a hell of a lot better than having the Jester de-stress people. The buffer for stress is a lot higher than the buffer for HP, so throwing in a Vestal with +heal% items seems like a hell of a lot better idea than throwing in a Jester with stress reduction. And if I take along a Jester and a Vestal, that's a party that is seriously lacking in hurt.

I want to like Jesters, but every time I do I find myself wishing I had pretty much any other row-appropriate class instead. If I wanted someone who dashed between rows but was actually useful I'd use a Highwayman or Grave Robber.

That logic doesn't really apply in higher zones where enemies not only focus down targets with stress damage but also possess 40+ evade and will avoid most attacks without some help. Its much harder to kill faster in this game than it is to just patch up the damage, especially in the long dungeons where a single crit is devastating to either HP or Stress.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Highwang posted:

That logic doesn't really apply in higher zones where enemies not only focus down targets with stress damage but also possess 40+ evade and will avoid most attacks without some help. Its much harder to kill faster in this game than it is to just patch up the damage, especially in the long dungeons where a single crit is devastating to either HP or Stress.

It's been working for me pretty well in higher zones! Yeah, I need to bring an actual healer along, but given the choice between "Jester" or "someone who kills dudes or stuns dudes", why should I take Jester?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

SlothBear posted:

Same but I hope it's available to us ignorant plebs somehow.

You can mod it in then rub the fact that you did that in the faces of the high-tier backers :v:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Highwang posted:

Camping and using dungeon features/the hamlet works well enough to destress for me. Jester is one of the few classes I haven't leveled to 6 and I don't miss him at all.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Time_pants posted:

How is it that his Bleed DoT is worse than the Hellion's? Honestly, I think that his base damage should be left alone and his Bleed DoT should do like 3 more damage/round and his natural Dodge score should be increased by 5-10 points. Then, at the very least, he'd be a mobile, evasive DoT machine with situational buffing capabilities.

I agree with this. I really feel the Jester is meant to be the bleed specialist counterpart to the blight specialist Plague Doctor, but instead he plays like a a mediocre jack-of-all-trades who can't decide what his gimmick is. Unspectacular base damage, good mobility, a flexible moveset, and tons of loving bleed would make for a robust character, and a really useful one in certain zones. Put him together with a Plague Doctor to inexorably melt stuff with hellish amounts of damage over time.

That, or give his attacks a reasonably strong damage/crit buff against bleeding opponents. Suddenly he synergizes really well with Hellion, Houndmaster, and PD, and he can still set up his own attack combos if need be.

Comedy option: give his moves rider effects that buff their effectiveness if his stress is really high. Send four Jesters on a no-torch run and watch them snowball into a giggling slaughter of flashing sickles and bad jokes, with a quadruple heart attack as the punchline.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Angry Diplomat posted:

Heretic sounds loving sweet, not gonna lie.

That's what I voted for, but man do I want the Musketeer and Witch as well. Honestly, as a backer, I want all three of those to happen and be available for everyone. I hope they release a survey asking backers of the exclusive variant if they want to share with everyone (maybe for piddly money as cosmetic DLC or something) and that other backers vote sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Better idea: they make all three as piddly-cheap DLC, and the one the backers vote for, they get free.

I just really want the Heretic. I've wanted a dread knight-type class for a while now, and a renegade Crusader haunted by his crimes and armed with a big fuckoff axe sounds awesome as hell to me.