Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
weird Mobile crane mating ritual
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soG5ihDaiFE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41QMaJqxqIo

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Every one of these disasters begins with someone opening a valve. There's your problem.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ban All Valves.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
#notallvalves

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Opening a valve, closing a valve, leaving the valve open when it should be closed, leaving the valve closed when it should be open...

I woulda' put in a Rosemount level transmitter with HART instead of that janky float and tape measure system. (4-20mA signal proportional to the tank level, HART digital signal for the calculated tank volume)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Three-Phase posted:

Opening a valve, closing a valve, leaving the valve open when it should be closed, leaving the valve closed when it should be open...

I woulda' put in a Rosemount level transmitter with HART instead of that janky float and tape measure system. (4-20mA signal proportional to the tank level, HART digital signal for the calculated tank volume)

Do those cost money? Because there's your reason they weren't using them.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

flosofl posted:

I think around $1000 for the meter. I'm assuming there's some kind of hatches or ports in the top of the tank that it can be installed in. If you had to drain the tank, and drill/tap and install a port that'll cost much more. And it's probably all got to be all explosion proof or have an intrinsically safe electrical barrier because the top of that gas tank might be Class-I Division-2. So then it's a couple of thousand for that... and then you need to run cable for the 4-20mA loop from the PLC in their control room out there, and that will need to be in conduit or buried but you sure as hell can't just leave it draped on the ground... and if it's a long run you'll need thicker twisted pair shielded cable or run a remote I/O drop to where the tanks are...

So yeah, it'll probably cost at lease a couple thousand dollars for each tank. Not including configuring/comissioning the level meters, modifying the PLC system like adding additional I/O, software modifications, HMI (human-machine interface) modifications, alarm settings and alarm responses, and testing. And that doesn't include a high-level and low-level float switches that probably needs to be installed.

And you might even want redundancy so you put more than one level sensor on the tank.

So yeah, not very cheap at all if you want a professional job.

AND you might even want to install electronic flowmeters on the pipelines while you're at it. That's gonna be a lot of money too. So modernizing the whole tank farm could get into the six-figure range. (Seven if it's ABB equipment.)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 22, 2015

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Six figures? Is it legally required? Did the customer / insurance ask for it?

No?

Ok, safety first, we were safe enough in the first place.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
But but but you're operations are safer, you can accurately know your inventory at all times, there are no more moving parts... :qq:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

flosofl posted:

Hell yeah, that's why I never use condoms. Save a buck or two, disappear if something goes wrong.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FIRST TIME posted:

Hell yeah, that's why I never use condoms. Save a buck or two, disappear if something goes wrong.

Do you own a small coal mine or chemical plant or something?

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

What I want to know is how much all that poo poo costs compared to the cost of the gigantic explosion that destroyed basically their entire facility and all their inventory. I mean, it can't possibly come close, can it?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Buff Skeleton posted:

What I want to know is how much all that poo poo costs compared to the cost of the gigantic explosion that destroyed basically their entire facility and all their inventory. I mean, it can't possibly come close, can it?

companies, especially publicly traded ones, are Very Bad at risk assessment. potential total loss pales in comparison to definite reductions in profit margin.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There is nothing wrong with a float and tape per se. An internal float system of some sort is often leaned on as the most reliable sort of level device assuming the service is compatible, but that's a lot like saying something is the least dangerous death trap.

gently caress level meters, none of them work right. That's why the tank expert talks about layers of protection.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 22, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Enourmo posted:

companies, especially publicly traded ones, are Very Bad at risk assessment. potential total loss pales in comparison to definite reductions in profit margin.

People in general are terrible at risk assessment.

People are lazy, and will always look for ways to implement short-cuts. Nebulous might-happens get far less weight in the should I/shouldn't I heuristic than "how do I make this easier/more convenient/faster."

It's a real issue when setting up security policies and protocols in Information Security. I imagine it's the same kind of struggle when developing physical safety policies.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Three-Phase posted:

I think around $1000 for the meter. I'm assuming there's some kind of hatches or ports in the top of the tank that it can be installed in. If you had to drain the tank, and drill/tap and install a port that'll cost much more. And it's probably all got to be all explosion proof or have an intrinsically safe electrical barrier because the top of that gas tank might be Class-I Division-2. So then it's a couple of thousand for that... and then you need to run cable for the 4-20mA loop from the PLC in their control room out there, and that will need to be in conduit or buried but you sure as hell can't just leave it draped on the ground... and if it's a long run you'll need thicker twisted pair shielded cable or run a remote I/O drop to where the tanks are...

So yeah, it'll probably cost at lease a couple thousand dollars for each tank. Not including configuring/comissioning the level meters, modifying the PLC system like adding additional I/O, software modifications, HMI (human-machine interface) modifications, alarm settings and alarm responses, and testing. And that doesn't include a high-level and low-level float switches that probably needs to be installed.

And you might even want redundancy so you put more than one level sensor on the tank.

AND you might even want to install electronic flowmeters on the pipelines while you're at it. That's gonna be a lot of money too. So modernizing the whole tank farm could get into the six-figure range. (Seven if it's ABB equipment.)

Ah bullshit, engineering says we can do it with a couple light switches and a piece of SO cord.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Three-Phase posted:

Are you kidding, the stuff that gets modernized without a second thought is change of custody instrumentation. For the contract dispute aspect of course.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I think it's a diamond python. Totally barely dangerous to people.

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

Its about $30,000 to outfit and commission single tank with Rosemount gauging.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gorilla Salad posted:

I think it's a diamond python. Totally barely dangerous to people.

flosofl posted:

People in general are terrible at risk assessment.

:colbert:

(While Diamond Pythons are apparently pretty chill, I'd still probably cautiously different pump before hooning out of the services station without checking for oncoming traffic because its essential I mess around with the radio volume for a bit)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Bernie I told you to "Snake the pipes" not "Pipe a snake"

The road cone of caution is just icing on this.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

VendaGoat posted:

Bernie I told you to "Snake the pipes" not "Pipe a snake"

The road cone of caution is just icing on this.
maybe it's there to be used for self-defence

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

kalstrams posted:

maybe it's there to be used for self-defence

NEW AT SHELL!

Because we care about our customers, at each island we now provide a state of the art self service DEFENSE SNAKE (TM) by Omni consumer products.

In case of mugger, identity thief, or religious extremists, grasp the snake firmly by the tail, and utilize in a whipping motion to and fro with vigor.

The patented "squishy squeeze" (TM) mechanism will disable the Assailant.

DEFENSE SNAKE (TM) , the ultimate in gas pump security, brought to you by SHELL and Omni consumer products.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SneakyFrog posted:

NEW AT SHELL!

Because we care about our customers, at each island we now provide a state of the art self service DEFENSE SNAKE (TM) by Omni consumer products.

In case of mugger, identity thief, or religious extremists, grasp the snake firmly by the tail, and utilize in a whipping motion to and fro with vigor.

DEFENSE SNAKE (TM) , the ultimate in gas pump security, brought to you by SHELL and Omni consumer products.
:laffo:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

thank you, i was giggling the whole time writing it.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

SneakyFrog posted:

NEW AT SHELL!

:lol: :golfclap:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

you idiot i told you to fill it up with viperless gas

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

how did you get access to my MGS5 screenshot library

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dewgy posted:

you idiot i told you to fill it up with viperless gas

hullunkurinen

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

SneakyFrog posted:

NEW AT SHELL!

loving :krad: post right here

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SneakyFrog posted:

* Guarantee not applicable for extremist Pentecostals.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I can confirm that I'm lazy and will take a shortcut where possible.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Buff Skeleton posted:

The cost for adding safety measures comes directly out of the company's pocket.

Replacement costs after the gigantic explosion come from the insurance company.

That is the difference.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

CollegeCop posted:

The cost for adding safety measures comes directly out of the company's pocket.

Replacement costs after the gigantic explosion come from the insurance company.

That is the difference.

Unless the insurance co proves negligence and pays out nothing beyond medical coverage?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Unless the insurance co proves negligence and pays out nothing beyond medical coverage?

WE nor OUR employees weren't the negligent ones, Shill Dynmanics sub-contractors and Pilate's Consulting firms supervisors are the ones who made the call to do this terrible terrible thing...
\
:businessessay:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

To be fair, usually poo poo like "should we fix this old valve" this never makes it to Corporate Risk Management, and they'll either say "gently caress yes fix that" or "we should probably fix this worse thing first".

But if Risk Management finds out about your 50 year old pipe, well someone's getting yelled at by their boss because now we're down for a week while we replace the pipe. So instead you have midlevel management cutting corners because admitting a fix is needed would look bad.

Take the Phosgene gas shelters at Dow. They explicitly didn't add one because the concern was if they admitted they needed on at this facility, they'd have to run it up the chain and it would get installed at every facility. Then you have the entire business division pissed at you because you forced them to install gas shelters which comes out of their budget. (And that means they have to cut costs somewhere else...maybe their 50 year old pipe won't get fixed this year....again)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

"Bite the asphalt, you dirty whore :pervert:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Clearly the standard practice should be to anonymously report it at a sister site managed by someone you dislike, and see what happens. If it gets rolled out to the whole company, everyone blames them, and you get a safety improvement. If it gets rolled out to them exclusively, you can ask for it safely without everyone breathing down your neck for forcing it through globally.

• Locked thread