Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

Today I found out (or was reminded) that people get really angry if you "waste" the limit break in dungeons, i.e. using it for anything other than a melee LB on a boss.

Gathering everything between Phantom Ray and Minotaur in a single pull to LB it is fun. Then you die anyway because people panic over pulling in a way they aren't used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

If it hasn't been used by 5% I'm tank LBing 100% of the time.

There are a few really good spots for an aoe LB to kill various mob packs and always has been. Hardflox had the pack after the first boss. Neverreap has the packs after the second boss that are just ripe for an LB. Same for Fractal.

I just pop it as soon as the bar fills in dungeons. Unless there's something you NEED to use the LB on (which you don't in dungeons), it's more of a waste to hold on to it rather than popping it and letting it start building up again.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
If I'm leveling a tank, like Warrior, can I just dump everything into STR? Will I be super squishy for dungeons?

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

PaganGoatPants posted:

If I'm leveling a tank, like Warrior, can I just dump everything into STR? Will I be super squishy for dungeons?

I'm of the opinion that if you don't understand what the various stats do well enough to answer that question for yourself, you should keep on trucking with vit.

(:can:)

vv that too

kojei fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 22, 2015

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The trap was thinking WAR/MRD ever stop feeling squishy comparatively.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

GET ALL THE STRENGTH

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

kharaa posted:

I'm of the opinion that if you don't understand what the various stats do well enough to answer that question for yourself, you should keep on trucking with vit.

:psyduck:

As long as you keep your gear up to date, stacking STR should be fine. Remember to use cooldowns, especially on later dungeons.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PaganGoatPants posted:

With VIT you actually take more damage because things aren't dying as fast.

Suitaru posted:

GET ALL THE STRENGTH

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

yall just jealous of my hyur

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

PaganGoatPants posted:

The stats you get from leveling are about 35/1000 when you are at max lvl which means it is 00.35% important where you place them. Put it in int, say you are smarter than the average tank.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No that's stupid you need piety for more flashing.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Mind for self-heal power. (Even though they're based off of attack power...)

No one has done Dex yet (even though PLD is the only tank that actually gets the most out of it.)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fister Roboto posted:

I just pop it as soon as the bar fills in dungeons. Unless there's something you NEED to use the LB on (which you don't in dungeons), it's more of a waste to hold on to it rather than popping it and letting it start building up again.

I have the same issue I have with stuff like older Final Fantasies or Dragon Quest, where I never use consumables because I'm worried I might need them later and they just rot there forever.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Fister Roboto posted:

No that's stupid you need piety for more flashing.

Flashing, you know children play this game! Do you think you are Kane?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm surprised that there's no term for a base unit of aether, given how often gathering large amounts of aether for stuff comes up in the MSQ.

(It can't be the crystal, because apparently you can shove an awful lot of aether into a single crystal or object. The Eye and a white aetheryte chunk about the size of a volleyball can hold the <very large> amount necessary to kill Nabriales.)

Discworld used "thaum" which I always liked

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I do like that electricity is called "lightning-aspected aether".

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

Mind for self-heal power. (Even though they're based off of attack power...)

No one has done Dex yet (even though PLD is the only tank that actually gets the most out of it.)

... Paladins get something out of Dex? What, does it impact Blocks?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

kafziel posted:

... Paladins get something out of Dex? What, does it impact Blocks?

0.000001% bonus of 10% block chance.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Maybe one day we'll get an evasion tank class and DEX will be useful for that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm sure healers would love a tank that either takes no damage or half its health.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

seiferguy posted:

Maybe one day we'll get an evasion tank class and DEX will be useful for that.

Quoting because this is hilarious. If the development team have learned anything from working around the FFXI guys it would be evasion tanks are bad for encounter design. All the existing tanks are mitigation and tend to do roughly the same numbers there, an evasion tank would be nightmare on healers, since if they were pure evasion with no mitigation they would be fine until they actually got hit, where they would drop instantly if it was a tank buster.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm sure healers would love a tank that either takes no damage or half its health.

Did you ever play FF11 post Ninja tanking?
If not it was more or less that only no damage or 1% health remaining most the time.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
I really want Dancer to be added as a tank class and have all of its skills and their descriptions ostensibly be about dodging and evasion, but function within the same confines as the other tanks. So, not an evasion tank at all, but dressed up like one.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Potato Jones posted:

I really want Dancer to be added as a tank class and have all of its skills and their descriptions ostensibly be about dodging and evasion, but function within the same confines as the other tanks. So, not an evasion tank at all, but dressed up like one.

Then people would complain about them not functionally dodging anything and wah wah wah mah blink tanks.

I would settle for another tank that uses Block.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kwyndig posted:

Quoting because this is hilarious. If the development team have learned anything from working around the FFXI guys it would be evasion tanks are bad for encounter design. All the existing tanks are mitigation and tend to do roughly the same numbers there, an evasion tank would be nightmare on healers, since if they were pure evasion with no mitigation they would be fine until they actually got hit, where they would drop instantly if it was a tank buster.

Yeah my post was mostly sarcastic. I never played 11, and the way that game was designed would never really fly with how classes were built for 14. See also why Red Mage will never be a class.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

Then people would complain about them not functionally dodging anything and wah wah wah mah blink tanks.

What about Dodging that works like Blocking in having a set chance to reduce damage and allowing you to use off GCD abilities for a short window after you Dodge. That way you'd a least have some of that dodge into counter into tempo kind of constant movement feel a Dancer needs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

seiferguy posted:

See also why Red Mage will never be a class.

Red Mage absolutely can be a class, it just wouldn't resemble how it works in single player games at all. Kind of like how black mages don't do double damage with fire spells on Shiva.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Tank that uses a tower shield in either hand.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The next tank class's invulnerability move should be a mega featherfoot that makes you practically guaranteed to dodge everything.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I want a dancer tank just to see those slick dance moves done in full tincan plate armor :v:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Prop Wash posted:

yall just jealous of my hyur

I actually legit want that shirt.

Fister Roboto posted:

Red Mage absolutely can be a class, it just wouldn't resemble how it works in single player games at all. Kind of like how black mages don't do double damage with fire spells on Shiva.

The hat has been co-opted by Bard. That's the real reason Red Mage will never be a class.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Fister Roboto posted:

Fire spells not doing more damage to shiva makes sense from a balance standpoint. Black mages still have the FF staple of black magic spells, fires, blizzards, thunders and flares. White mage has cure, regen and holy.

Red mage is a healer / caster hybrid so right off the bat you have to get rid of one of those, and even then I'm not sure what the focus becomes that significantly differentiates it from SMN / BLM if it's DPS or WHM / SCH / AST for healer. Support caster would really be the only route I think they could go, and I just don't see that without significant balance issues.

Edit: Red Mages were bad classes in almost every FF anyways so they shouldn't be a class in 14 to begin with.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I can't be bothered to do Alexander or grind tomestones, so back to leveling now that I've played BLM at 60 for a while. Thinking Machinist is next, I left that at 42.

I think I have a problem :(

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Get a load of this casual, thinks he's got a problem because he has ONE 60.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Either four or five actually, I forget, but fair do. I forgot it's been many months, there's bound to be plenty of omni-60s by now :v:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Jeez I don't even have one thing at 60 yet. Guess I've been taking it way too easy.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

No source for these other than "twitter" and "maybe Famitsu"

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

seiferguy posted:

Fire spells not doing more damage to shiva makes sense from a balance standpoint. Black mages still have the FF staple of black magic spells, fires, blizzards, thunders and flares. White mage has cure, regen and holy.

Red mage is a healer / caster hybrid so right off the bat you have to get rid of one of those, and even then I'm not sure what the focus becomes that significantly differentiates it from SMN / BLM if it's DPS or WHM / SCH / AST for healer. Support caster would really be the only route I think they could go, and I just don't see that without significant balance issues.

Edit: Red Mages were bad classes in almost every FF anyways so they shouldn't be a class in 14 to begin with.

I agree with the last sentence the most.

That said, making red mage a support caster wouldn't be that hard. Same dps as brd and mch or slightly higher if you intend for them to be in melee. Same tp and mp regen auras. Give them a couple heal spells for ~*flavor reasons*~ but give them cooldowns so they don't function as a primary healer. Something along the lines of Clemency. Then just fill out their skillset as a dps. Hell, give them blm's phase gameplay but in melee range with elemental sword strikes. I dunno, the concept is workable but like hell should they add a class primarily known for it's hat over samurai or dancer.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Flying loving everything :allears:

Flying passenger mounts is going to change exploration though if you don't have to unlock flying to ride along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

a kitten posted:

No source for these other than "twitter" and "maybe Famitsu"

Never using anything but the Magitek Armor mount again.

• Locked thread