Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Can you romance same sex companions from kotfe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Am I bugged? I keep gaining Influence levels through conversations with my ship companions and yet my Presence stat isn't going up.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rasmussen posted:

Can you romance same sex companions from kotfe?

Old companions, no. Some of the new companions, yes.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Alter Ego posted:

Am I bugged? I keep gaining Influence levels through conversations with my ship companions and yet my Presence stat isn't going up.

Their presence should go up, not yours.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Medullah posted:

Their presence should go up, not yours.

Then I guess I'm still unclear as to what makes them effective. Do they still just do damage equivalent to your character's, or do they do damage proportional to the amount of Presence they have stacked?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Alter Ego posted:

Then I guess I'm still unclear as to what makes them effective. Do they still just do damage equivalent to your character's, or do they do damage proportional to the amount of Presence they have stacked?

Both. They get higher presence for higher influence, so they become more badass.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Medullah posted:

Old companions, no. Some of the new companions, yes.

Can you spoiler tag them for me please?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rasmussen posted:

Can you spoiler tag them for me please?

Lana for women, Theron and Koth for men.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Medullah posted:

Both. They get higher presence for higher influence, so they become more badass.

So...this effectively means that if you cheese your companions with gifts you can make them into unstoppable killing machines for the early-stage planets.

Please don't change this, BioWare. I want to be able to jack up HK-51's ratings to the point where I can just have him kill everything in Act I.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I think they'll nerf companions in a couple weeks, they're drat tough and things are a lot easier than before. Not that I mind that, but it doesn't feel intended

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

RentACop posted:

I think they'll nerf companions in a couple weeks, they're drat tough and things are a lot easier than before. Not that I mind that, but it doesn't feel intended
I wonder how much of the power we're seeing is because most of us have higher level characters which provide presence boosts to the companions when on alts. Might well be significantly more toned down for a new player who doesn't have any characters (especially humans) at 50 yet.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
And of course Harbinger explodes in the middle of prime time the day after the patch. 50 minute queue when I got kicked.

I guess I won't be getting all 8 classes through KotFE today. :mad:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

RentACop posted:

Yeah I've neglected companion affection/influence/whatever entirely and at least in kotfe content, everything absolutely crumbles before me, there's no challenge. I don't think you even really need to worry about influence, not for clearing solo content. Maybe it's different in old content, or in content I haven't got to yet, but it seems very very optional unless they're planning to rebalance it.

I'm fine with this state of affairs too, but I would not be shocked if there were to be a nerf.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Ugh, I got guild kicked. You go a few months without logging on and...BLAMO. PLEASE TAKE ME BACK, GOONS!

EDIT: My character is named Krul.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So apparently I resubbed at exactly the wrong time since I ended up too late for early access and my time lapses before the actual release.

I ended up getting the Amazon starter pack (I can't believe I spent 70 dollars on this again) and I can't seem to level past 55; I'm 1 XP away from level 56 and it's stuck. I restarted the client and actually started the Shadow of Revan content but I'm still not gaining any XP. What's going on?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

wazu posted:

Ugh, I got guild kicked. You go a few months without logging on and...BLAMO. PLEASE TAKE ME BACK, GOONS!

EDIT: My character is named Krul.

Could be worse, you could get mod hammered and demoted to a rank that can't even talk in guild chat for minor offenses, rendering your main character unplayable and totally killing your drive to play, right as the expansion comes out. :smithicide:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So apparently I resubbed at exactly the wrong time since I ended up too late for early access and my time lapses before the actual release.

I ended up getting the Amazon starter pack (I can't believe I spent 70 dollars on this again) and I can't seem to level past 55; I'm 1 XP away from level 56 and it's stuck. I restarted the client and actually started the Shadow of Revan content but I'm still not gaining any XP. What's going on?

You need the Shadow of Revan expansion to level past 55. Once it goes free on Tuesday, you'll be able to level past 55.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Could be worse, you could get mod hammered and demoted to a rank that can't even talk in guild chat for minor offenses, rendering your main character unplayable and totally killing your drive to play, right as the expansion comes out. :smithicide:

See but I don't commit minor offenses. My worst offense is being anti-social and sticking heavily to GSF matches.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

wazu posted:

See but I don't commit minor offenses. My worst offense is being anti-social and sticking heavily to GSF matches.

You could be in kitchen patrol for years and never know!

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

You could be in kitchen patrol for years and never know!

Woah. This is true. Although I do occasionally join in on a raid.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Medullah posted:

You need the Shadow of Revan expansion to level past 55. Once it goes free on Tuesday, you'll be able to level past 55.

Oh wow, I thought the Amazon starter pack just unlocked that immediately but apparently not, and these Solo flashpoints aren't actually Shadow of Revan? I have continued to bumble in my SWTOR purchases. Oh well, I guess I'll just wait a few days, then. :sigh:

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Holy poo poo the overload of trying to re-engage with this game. I get on and have like 20 emails, including an apparent fix to a bug where they had to return a bunch of crappy equipment to me, and my quest log is chock full. I hid them all and now don't know which quest I'm supposed to do first. There was something I was supposed to be able to find on my ship to start new content but then there is nothing on my ship to kick off a new quest. So maybe it's some quest I untracked to eliminate the clutter. Sheesh.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

wazu posted:

Oh man, I wanna learn to GSF. When I come back to play again (eventually) will you teach me how to not totally suck at it?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh wow, I thought the Amazon starter pack just unlocked that immediately but apparently not, and these Solo flashpoints aren't actually Shadow of Revan? I have continued to bumble in my SWTOR purchases. Oh well, I guess I'll just wait a few days, then. :sigh:

Yeah, they're the "prelude" to Shadow of Revan. So you can do them now and not gain XP, or do them when SoR unlocks. Either way, you should do them for gear.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Oh man, I wanna learn to GSF. When I come back to play again (eventually) will you teach me how to not totally suck at it?

Of course I will. But I warn you, I only know gunships. But I really, really know gunships.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Medullah posted:

Yeah, they're the "prelude" to Shadow of Revan. So you can do them now and not gain XP, or do them when SoR unlocks. Either way, you should do them for gear.

Do they still give a full set after you do the entire set of four? Before KotFE I ran the first solo Flashpoint and got a bunch of orange gear (chest and pants?), but then KotFE happened and all I got out of running the first two solo Flashpoints were a green belt and a green relic.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

wazu posted:

Of course I will. But I warn you, I only know gunships. But I really, really know gunships.

How do gunships play? I don't even know how GSF works, the one time I managed to get into a match I was blown the gently caress up repeatedly like barely 20 seconds after spawning in, and then I ran out of ships or something, and it sucked.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Fuzz posted:

How do gunships play? I don't even know how GSF works, the one time I managed to get into a match I was blown the gently caress up repeatedly like barely 20 seconds after spawning in, and then I ran out of ships or something, and it sucked.

They are basically space snipers. Their best friend is a bomber. Go squat by some heal/missile sentries and just target, burn down, target, burn down.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

wazu posted:

They are basically space snipers. Their best friend is a bomber. Go squat by some heal/missile sentries and just target, burn down, target, burn down.

Oh, GSF basically plays like regular PvP with roles? Well gently caress. I was approaching it like TIE Fighter or a Rogue Squadron lite sorta deal, where it's about manuevering and poo poo. :doh:

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Oh, GSF basically plays like regular PvP with roles? Well gently caress. I was approaching it like TIE Fighter or a Rogue Squadron lite sorta deal, where it's about manuevering and poo poo. :doh:

The really great ones it is like this. The best GSF players in the game are scouts, and they are largely in a fighter type of role. Hunting down gunships and swooping in to destroy. It isn't quite as organized as forming squadrons and stuff, though. Everybody is dying and respawning, etc.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

If you're new to GSF bombers are pretty easy to pick up and get into. They're slow and not great at dog fighting but you can plop down repair droids and turrets to build a little aerial base and secure objectives. Strike fighters and scouts are going to be your more conventional dog fighters - personally I never have liked strike fighters as much but scouts are fun for zipping around and harassing people. They get some good utility too for taking objectives easier.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Stupid nubcake question: I have these orange pieces of some kind of empire starfighter suit I got in my mail after logging in again after four years. Can I dump that to free up inventory space on my level 7 Sith Warrior? I'm hesitant to spend my precious "bought game in store" cartel cash stocks. :v:

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I've had a weird glitch with a companion who returned for a big role:

I'm playing as a Jedi Knight, and my ol' pal T7 has shown up repeatedly in the KOTFE narrative, but his appearance has been weirdly inconsistent. In cutscenes he would have his default coloring, and outside of cutscenes he would be wearing his red customization. Eventually he showed up as a more permanent companion, at which point his red customization vanished from his inventory. Didn't go in my bags or show up in the mail, it's just gone. Not the hardest thing to replace, but it's weird. I wonder if this is happening with other classes when their own companions become shared companions?

Quoting myself because I figured out what was going on with this and it's weird as hell.

I actually have two different T7-01's... with different gear, different influence ranks, and in different companion categories. Oddly enough the one in the "Companions: Jedi Knight" category, presumably my original one, is the one missing his custom skin. He also has the higher influence rank of the two. I'm so confused!

Edit: Also my probably-original one in the knight list has a note saying we've lost contact and his whereabouts are unknown. But I can summon him just fine.

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 22, 2015

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
How do you queue for the new solo versions of the older flashpoints?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Nessus posted:

Stupid nubcake question: I have these orange pieces of some kind of empire starfighter suit I got in my mail after logging in again after four years. Can I dump that to free up inventory space on my level 7 Sith Warrior? I'm hesitant to spend my precious "bought game in store" cartel cash stocks. :v:

The starfighter suits are free adaptive armor. If you're new to the game You will want to hold onto them.

It's worth holding onto them because you can stick mods in them.

Do quests, take the crystals as a reward, buy mods on the fleet, and you you will have better gear than you would get from doing quests.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 22, 2015

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Woah. Did heroic moment legacy abilities go away? Not seeing them.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

wazu posted:

I had to visit my trainer to get it back.

But heroic moments require that you have a companion with you to pull it off. Read the fine print. So in most FPs or ops you can't pull off a heroic moment.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 22, 2015

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

thrakkorzog posted:

I had to visit my trainer to get it back.

Actually I figured out I had to click on the new "Heroic Moment" icon, and then a push button menu with available abilities pops up now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Empress Theonora posted:

How do you queue for the new solo versions of the older flashpoints?

You walk to the quest giver and request them. "Queueing" is for group activities.

wazu posted:

Yeah, they got rid of the unique heroic moment ability (Like "thrill of the hunt" for Bounty Hunters) and replaced it with a generic "Heroic Moment" that you have to train. It's cool because a pop up window comes up when you use it so you don't need to bind the abilities. Also, they changed force storm to force lightning booooo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Since CZ-198 droid parts and basic schematics went away, I was looking for a way to transfer basic comms Common Data Crystals from one toon to another more than 2 at a time (from mod vendors). Found the model starships you can buy in the phased area on Odessen aren't BOP so you can put them in a legacy bank and sell with another character, 100-200 at a time. :D

• Locked thread