Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

youcallthatatwist posted:

So, can I get something off my chest?

Ever since this scene started, I've been steadily losing interest in Paranatural. I think it comes down to three things:

-I have absolutely no idea what's going on anymore. Every single plan that these kids come up with is more convoluted than the last, and it feels like Zack is trying to cram way too many characters into one scene.
-Paranatural has always been anime-inspired, but the last half of chapter four onwards is straight-up shounen. I know this is subjective, but I'm not a fan of shounen.
-I read this comic mostly for the humor; I still think Chapter 3 is one of the funniest things I've ever read. Right now, with the exception of that one page of Johnny's bullying, this whole chapter has been nothing but action. Which is frustrating to me, because the fight scenes in the first two chapters have an awesome mix of jokes and action.

Anyway that's my rant. Thank you for reading

Same, honestly. This whole thing would be much better read in one go than drip-fed over half a year. I'm so bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ever since this scene started, I've been steadily losing interest in Paranatural. I think it comes down to three things:

-I have absolutely no idea what's going on anymore. Every single plan that these kids come up with is more convoluted than the last, and it feels like Zack is trying to cram way too many characters into one scene.
-Paranatural has always been anime-inspired, but the last half of chapter four onwards is straight-up shounen. I know this is subjective, but I'm not a fan of shounen.
-I read this comic mostly for the humor; I still think Chapter 3 is one of the funniest things I've ever read. Right now, with the exception of that one page of Johnny's bullying, this whole chapter has been nothing but action. Which is frustrating to me, because the fight scenes in the first two chapters have an awesome mix of jokes and action.

Hey man, it's all good. People ain't gonna eat you for having a different opinion unless they're huge jerks.

I see where you're coming from but I feel, like I mentioned before, that this is a problem with webcomics as a medium in general. If I read this with the Hitball rules still fresh in my mind I would probably understand it more.

As for the shounen... yeah, I can't blame you for that either. It really is going all out, and if you're not a fan of the genre you're in for a bad time. Sorry.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Don't worry, I've usually fallen into habits of losing track of the comic and then coming back to it later. Maybe you should just take a break for a few months and then come back to see where the comic is then, it might end up being better.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I have to agree, honestly. I love Paranatural, but this Hitball segment is so convoluted and drawn out that it makes it really hard to follow what's happening. I hope it's done soon.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And again, there's still some deal where they have to go to a bar or coffee shop or something according to the title page plus actually get to the teachers lounge

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also this whole hitball is all so Jeff ends in detention and hijack moves on to his intended target. Like it's not even the C-Plot.

- Jeff isn't himself
- The gang realizes this

Which leads to
- Jeff in detention (?)
- The gang tells spender, the chase begins (chapter intro)

Spending half a year just for the first two points is getting ridiculous.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I'm fine with it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hitball is this comic's best arc thus far

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Hitball is life

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
More like... Shillball

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Spending half a year just for the first two points is getting ridiculous.

It's not just for those two points. It's also to have some high stakes, high impact gym class action!

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

paradoxGentleman posted:

dimitri you cant have a chess piece thread the needle between the pawn line and backguard what idiot taught you chess

Sun Tzu, apparently.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I rather still be in the train tbqh

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

conversely i feel that paranatural has seen on a stark upswing in every department and will probably continue to own bones for the foreseeable future. i don't know what you consider "humor" or "jokes" because the comedy's still top-notch. how can you look at floating cool kid or double crying phoenix or the Newzy with Suzy or sun tzu thumbs up hyperchess and disagree

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

also laughing at everyone wanting to get to the fireworks factory when this has been the most interaction and character development between the cast we've ever seen and it's all gold

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
I'm still cool with it. But then again, I'm still reading the comic in monthly segments.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Basically this is the fireworks factory

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

oddium posted:

conversely i feel that paranatural has seen on a stark upswing in every department and will probably continue to own bones for the foreseeable future. i don't know what you consider "humor" or "jokes" because the comedy's still top-notch. how can you look at floating cool kid or double crying phoenix or the Newzy with Suzy or sun tzu thumbs up hyperchess and disagree

Okay it probably was dumb to imply that the comic isn't funny anymore, because it is. The difference, I guess, is that as opposed to the madcap insanity of early Paranatural, recently every joke has been bookended by two pages of anime monologues. In general, I think that Zack is much better at writing silly scenes than at writing ~SERIOUS EXPOSITION~. See: Spender and Forge's dumb speeches that become really clunky once they stop being played as jokes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

oddium posted:

also laughing at everyone wanting to get to the fireworks factory when this has been the most interaction and character development between the cast we've ever seen and it's all gold

Right? Especially in terms of the non-Activity Club characters like Cody and Dmitri.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

oddium posted:

Hitball being practically meaningless is actually good, because it becomes a vehicle for just that. The journey is the point, not the destination, my friends.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The fun thing about webcomics is that when you think "man this would be a lot better to read in one go instead of reading serially" is you can just shelve it for a while and it'll catch up to your expectation eventually

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

flatluigi posted:

The fun thing about webcomics is that when you think "man this would be a lot better to read in one go instead of reading serially" is you can just shelve it for a while and it'll catch up to your expectation eventually

But then you start jonesin' and suddenly you're all caught up and oh god damnit, I only "shelved" it for two updates? gently caress.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
The best chapter was three, in my opinion, but I don't super-mind this, but it is straight up Shonen as opposed to something that feels positively madcap like Chapter Three was. There is no allusion to "avant garde bullying," it's just a straight up homage to Greed Island and a trillion basketball mangas.

I also miss the messier art, but that's probably just me.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Probably Magic posted:

I also miss the messier art, but that's probably just me.

It did have a certain charm.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
If you want to make an homage to a shounen battle scene you could do a lot worse than Razer and Greed Island.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hitball owns, sorry.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

AnonSpore posted:

If you want to make an homage to a shounen battle scene you could do a lot worse than Razer and Greed Island.

We even have the antagonist and protagonist teaming up!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Probably Magic posted:

We even have the antagonist and protagonist teaming up!

Well we all know Johnny is Vegeta, but who is Max? Best I can guess is future Trunks, which kinda fits in a weird way.

Hijack is Baby, this isn't looking good for Johnny.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

flatluigi posted:

Yeah like seriously. Sorry it's not moving faster for some of you, but it's a webcomic. Come back and read it later. Once the chapter is done when you go back and read it, the pacing is gonna be fine. People had a similar complaint during the chapter of Gunnerkrigg Court where each page was a different era showing Jones' history. And it went on for weeks and it was really slow, but when you read it as one big chunk the pacing fine.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

pik_d posted:

Hijack is Baby, this isn't looking good for Johnny.
Who? Dragon Ball ended when Buu died.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

I kind of agree. I feel like the whole "Paranatural is SO ANIME HAHA" thing has been run into the ground and now it's just...trite? I don't know. The humor has been sucked out of it for me and now it's just tiresome. :shrug:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Basically we've learned it was never a joke to begin with.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There are still non-anime jokes in the fight (look at poor Ed pouring his heart out to Dmitri who's completely ignoring him) and that fight looks like it's winding up to its end.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I'm honestly just getting a bit exhausted at this point, and I think I would be even if I was reading it in one sitting. There's plenty of interesting stuff happening, but it's just... too much, I think? The repeated "maybe THIS will work!" failures make it tough to believe we're approaching the end-game even now, and I desperately want it to be over.

I am no longer hype for hitball.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I will be hype for hitball in your stead, friend.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i feel the comic strip I have three pages of posts on has been run into the ground, now

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

oddium posted:

The problem isn't the story Zack is telling but the format he's telling it in. We're this a weekly 20+ page manga there wouldn't be any issues. In fact, compared to many shonnen manga this is pretty damned efficient storrytelling. But at 1-2 pages a week the action scenes have the effect of slowing down time rather than speeding it up which can be aggravating if you're trying to follow things in real time.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

hmm sounds like you need to release yourself from insatiable want for more, my friend. achieve Right Mind

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I preferred the webcomic when it was less anime and had more goofy spirits. I appreciate this may anger some of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Frankly it's been all downhill ever since Max moved to Mayview.