Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

counterfeitsaint posted:

It doesn't specifically say that it's the Romulan sun though. Under normal circumstances you would assume it would be, but the movie also used a phrase like "could threaten the entire galaxy" so that poo poo is right out the window.

maybe they mean the trillion+ dead on the Romulan homeworld, and the disintegration of their vast space empire as a result "could threaten the entire galaxy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

I read that 100% of murderers were very fond of air.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Rutibex posted:

maybe they mean the trillion+ dead on the Romulan homeworld, and the disintegration of their vast space empire as a result "could threaten the entire galaxy"

Maybe.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Rutibex posted:

I seem to remember the words "destroy the galaxy," so no, I think the threat really was everything blowing up.

A Very Sexy Baby
Sep 25, 2007

I can't help it if men are attracted to me.
comic says subspace effects made the shockwave travel FTL and could trigger other supernovae or something, thus propagating across the galaxy uncontrollably unless the source was neutralized.

if the Romulans had just stayed home on Vulcan then this no happen.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I Love Jesus posted:

comic says subspace effects made the shockwave travel FTL and could trigger other supernovae or something, thus propagating across the galaxy uncontrollably unless the source was neutralized.

yeah that's stupid. also a comic so gently caress it.

I'm going with 'spock was prone to hyperbole'.

Also a very large supernova could sterilize a hundred light years or so, that could reach earth, vulcan and qo'nos, so gently caress it, that's close enough to 'threaten the galaxy' for me. Who gives a poo poo about anyone else.

Tujague posted:

Yeah, weren't there a bunch of deleted scenes or missing script pages explaining why the badguy in that movie didn't make any loving sense? Like, if your planet got blown up and you could travel in time.... ???

well he couldn't travel in time by choice, he just happened to end up in the past via a fuckup

I assume he also dropped by Romulus and was like 'hey guys you might wanna move out at some point brb gonna go murder a shitload of people in your name and bring the wrath of the galaxy down upon you BAI'

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 21, 2015

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

MikeJF posted:

yeah that's stupid. also a comic so gently caress it.

I'm going with 'spock was prone to hyperbole'.

Also a very large supernova could sterilize a hundred light years or so, that could reach earth, vulcan and qo'nos, so gently caress it, that's close enough to 'threaten the galaxy' for me. Who gives a poo poo about anyone else.

well he couldn't travel in time by choice, he just happened to end up in the past via a fuckup

I assume he also dropped by Romulus and was like 'hey guys you might wanna move out at some point brb gonna go murder a shitload of people in your name and bring the wrath of the galaxy down upon you BAI'

Oh yeah I'm sure he just dropped by that extremely paranoid and xenophobia Empire and was just like

"Hey guys you won't believe this but I'm on this mining ship from the future that's a super powerful ship in this time era and I'm going to warn you about something that will happen in 100 years so just leave Romulus right now please. Now if you excuse me I'll leave with my ship full of technology you could use to destroy all of your enemies and expect you to do exactly what I, a mining ship captain from the future, says"

Also to all the people saying the star could have destroyed the galaxy I super don't remember that at all. I remember Romulus was definetly going to be destroyed by the star which I suppose could have dire consequences for the galaxy as the Romulan Empire collapses into civil war, but the point is that Spock didn't stop the sun going supernova and it killed Nero's family, not Spock's.

So it's not like Nero came back in time and he was like "Dude you killed the entire galaxy" he's like "Dude you killed all the Romulans by being too slow"

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Kitchner posted:

Also to all the people saying the star could have destroyed the galaxy I super don't remember that at all. I remember Romulus was definetly going to be destroyed by the star which I suppose could have dire consequences for the galaxy as the Romulan Empire collapses into civil war, but the point is that Spock didn't stop the sun going supernova and it killed Nero's family, not Spock's.

So it's not like Nero came back in time and he was like "Dude you killed the entire galaxy" he's like "Dude you killed all the Romulans by being too slow"

I don't remember that either, but then again I only watched it once. I get why Nero would be pissed if Spock failed to save Romulus but if the whole galaxy was hosed it then it seems a bit counter-intuitive to not help the one guy who might be able to prevent it now that they've ended up century in the past with a second chance to stop it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

During the mind meld scene in Trek 2009, spock's telepathic commentary.

"129 years from now, a star will explode and threaten to destroy the galaxy."

It's totally just Spock being a drama queen.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
There we go. It's obviously Spock's fault.

You can hardly blame him though, what with his obvious disadvantage and all.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kitchner posted:

Also to all the people saying the star could have destroyed the galaxy I super don't remember that at all.

And that right there is the biggest difference between classic Trek and JJ Trek -- we hopeless nerds haven't bothered to memorize everything about JJ Trek. We can quote the Rules of Acquisition. We remind people of the time Captain Kirk apparently forgot all about his actual dead brother when he metaphorically referred to Spock as the brother he lost. Hell, a lot of us could tell you how many docking latches hold a Galaxy-class saucer to the stardrive section. But major plot points of JJ Trek? "I think that was... uh... well I remember thinking it was dumb when they said it. Something about that supernova? Being too big or something?"

If this was about something from Wrath of Khan, eleven people would have jumped in with the exact quote by now.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
yeah, the jj trek had absolutely nothing but eye candy going for it. the entire series has been otherwise forgettable.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Spock did save the galaxy. He used his magic technobabble juice to stop the supernova wave, he just did so too late to save Romulus. Him using the red spooge on the supernova is what threw both him and nero's gay rear end garbage scow back in time in the first time place.

Nero's motivations were poo poo. I can see him being angry for awhile after it happened, but to dedicate the rest of his natural life to making Spock suffer when the had the technology and the ability to do literally anything he wanted in the past was stupid. It's one thing to have one guy snap, but the fact that his entire crew was apparently cool with dedicating their existence to revenge as well made it even dumber.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Thanks to this thread I now realize I hate Spock. What a tiresome bore. And his father Sarek. Jeez. That episode where he comes aboard the TNG Enterprise is the most laborious loving thing they filmed. Leonard Nimoy himself is A-ok in my book, but Spock was just a pre-Alpha worf weeabooing over a heritage that was not his own. He had human pubes, human earwax and human propensity towards ingrowth in the toenails (Vulcan toenails are these hosed up disc-shaped things that you chip off from the top like sedimentary rock)

But speaking of my books, I highly recommend George Takei's first autobiography "To the Stars" where he is still in the closet and talks about all the times he stood beside great actors, and they didn't want to talk to George so he took it as a moment of somber reflection of the Actor's craft. George also recounts being an LA slumlord, and thanking his father for the wise advice to enter the field of slum lordery.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

shadow puppet of a posted:

Thanks to this thread I now realize I hate Spock. What a tiresome bore. And his father Sarek. Jeez. That episode where he comes aboard the TNG Enterprise is the most laborious loving thing they filmed. Leonard Nimoy himself is A-ok in my book, but Spock was just a pre-Alpha worf weeabooing over a heritage that was not his own. He had human pubes, human earwax and human propensity towards ingrowth in the toenails (Vulcan toenails are these hosed up disc-shaped things that you chip off from the top like sedimentary rock)

But speaking of my books, I highly recommend George Takei's first autobiography "To the Stars" where he is still in the closet and talks about all the times he stood beside great actors, and they didn't want to talk to George so he took it as a moment of somber reflection of the Actor's craft. George also recounts being an LA slumlord, and thanking his father for the wise advice to enter the field of slum lordery.

Interesting. He mostly just shots shots my Facebook up with stuff I have seen months, if not years before, and didn't find funny then. I mostly view it as corporate ads now. Especially as he has been advertising his show for over a year.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Trickjaw posted:

Interesting. He mostly just shots shots my Facebook up with stuff I have seen months, if not years before, and didn't find funny then. I mostly view it as corporate ads now. Especially as he has been advertising his show for over a year.

perhaps you missed his post where he used a pun. that was a good one.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Shadow posted:

yeah, the jj trek had absolutely nothing but eye candy going for it. the entire series has been otherwise forgettable.

I think it had a very good cast going for it as well, but that was not enough

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
yeah i'll agree with that. good cast, good effects, lovely summer blockbuster popcorn trash otherwise.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Trickjaw posted:

This is why I stopped following it ages ago.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
So is the federation/Earth actually cashless or do they get paid but they don't care and just see it as booze money?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Nondescript Van posted:

So is the federation/Earth actually cashless or do they get paid but they don't care and just see it as booze money?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx5I7uEEEYo

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.
I always figured it was like a Universal Basic Income type deal: You can live your whole life in a small free apartment, eating free replicator food and wearing weird onesy-vest combos; Or if you want to start your own Cajun restaurant sure bro whatever. For Starfleet officers stationed at places like DS9 they're given monthly allowances of Credits/Latinum/Disney Dollars that the other alien cultures accept for beer money.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I forget which episode but I remember Jake talking about using his transporter credits so I think it goes deeper than basic income and extends to travel and access to all sorts of stuff but as a set allowance for services, not just goods and housing.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
It's Sisko who says that about his time in the academy. It's never expanded upon though so it could be that citizens can only use the transporter so much in order to reduce strain on the system or it could be that cadets had a limit on how much could use the transporter because of starfleet reasons.

The thing is it doesn't actually make sense as you could just replicate the parts needed for your own transporter and then use it as much as you want, so I think it's just something thrown out there without too much thought about what it meant.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Kitchner posted:

cadets had a limit on how much could use the transporter because of starfleet reasons.

Academy reasons, like weekend passes and furloughs at the contemporary military academies.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

My Q-Face posted:

Academy reasons, like weekend passes and furloughs at the contemporary military academies.

The whole starfleet makes very little sense in military terms anyway since like at least half of the people in command positions are somewhat competent and everything isn't bogged down in insane useless bureaucracy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
guinan sucks

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

My Q-Face posted:

The Maquis are clearly American Jews moving into settlements in the West Bank.

:agreed:

We never see it, but it is quite likely that the Federation (and cardasian empire) encouraged people to settle that frontier to firm up their claims of sovereignty to the area. Like china building up those artificial islands and moving some folks onto them. You don't want to let the other guys colonize that space first.

That territorial conflict eventually lead to war. O'brian was a bitter veteran of that war, and never really got over his dislike of cardies. The people who eventually become the Maquis are the ones who didn't just evacuate back to the safe core worlds when war first broke out. It's likely that the federation military recruited fighters from the young men and women on those frontier planets. Join the Federation marines and fight for your world! While the core worlds were hemming and hawing about the situation, there was probably some pretty virulent jingoism on the frontier worlds. You fought for the federation, you fought for your land, some of your friends and family died in that fight -- and then the federation makes peace and gives away your land for the sake of pretty borders. You weren't even losing the war, the distant politicians just decided to make a peace agreement that gives your house to a filthy spoonhead. Imagine the sense of betrayal.

Yeah, the Federation did try to make it up to them. Give them whole new planets. Better planets. Any kind of planets they want. But still, they are justifiably angry after all that. The federation isn't wrong, in the long term peace and pretty borders is best for both species, but in the short term a spoonhead is going to take your house.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Angela Christine posted:

We never see it, but it is quite likely that the Federation (and cardasian empire) encouraged people to settle that frontier to firm up their claims of sovereignty to the area. Like china building up those artificial islands and moving some folks onto them. You don't want to let the other guys colonize that space first.

That territorial conflict eventually lead to war. O'brian was a bitter veteran of that war, and never really got over his dislike of cardies. The people who eventually become the Maquis are the ones who didn't just evacuate back to the safe core worlds when war first broke out. It's likely that the federation military recruited fighters from the young men and women on those frontier planets. Join the Federation marines and fight for your world! While the core worlds were hemming and hawing about the situation, there was probably some pretty virulent jingoism on the frontier worlds. You fought for the federation, you fought for your land, some of your friends and family died in that fight -- and then the federation makes peace and gives away your land for the sake of pretty borders. You weren't even losing the war, the distant politicians just decided to make a peace agreement that gives your house to a filthy spoonhead. Imagine the sense of betrayal.

Yeah, the Federation did try to make it up to them. Give them whole new planets. Better planets. Any kind of planets they want. But still, they are justifiably angry after all that. The federation isn't wrong, in the long term peace and pretty borders is best for both species, but in the short term a spoonhead is going to take your house.

Except that those Federation citizens weren't even required to leave by the Cardassians, at least not initially. There was a TNG episode about it, ending with the Cardassians saying "You can stay. You leave us alone and we'll leave you alone." I think they technically had to give up Federation citizenship but that's about it. I also forget what actually got them fighting again.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
The orders at first were "they're leaving, you're going to make sure they leave one way or another" and then after the colonists started actually resisting, the Federation threw up their hands and said "fine, okay, you can stay but you're not getting any further help from us. good luck dealing with Cardassian government."

Angela Christine posted:

Picard claims in TNG Journey's End that the Feds actually strongly discouraged colonists from settling there beforehand because it was contested territory, but I'm sure someone will be along any minute to offer some tired contrarian "well actually captain picard is just parroting lies like a good Federation stooge" line.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Well,  actually, Captain Picard is just parroting lies like a good Federation stooge, duh.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Kitchner posted:

Well,  actually, Captain Picard is just parroting lies like a good Federation stooge, duh.

You are acting like Picard is not one of the architects of Federation aggression. He was caught spying on the Cardassian Union in a blatant act of war. He has a Bajoran terrorist on his crew, as well as the war criminal O'Brien. Picard is the driving force behind Anti-Cardassian sentiment in the Federation.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Trickjaw posted:

Kitchner posted:

This is why I stopped following it ages ago.

Yeah, I have a sneaky suspicion Takei is being paid by some of the click bait poo poo he posts.
I can understand if he was posting from Buzzfeed or some generic click bait site, but he mostly posts from the shitter ones that have one item per page.
When Adblock doesn't load up the next button, it can gently caress right off imo.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I seriously wonder how much is actually Takei posting and how much is some intern. But then I kinda default to wondering about that with most ~celebrity social media profiles~

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
What? Are you guys being sarcastic I can't tell. It's obvious he's getting paid to promote this poo poo and it's just interns posting what he's been paid to promote, with some exclusions.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Picard claims in TNG Journey's End that the Feds actually strongly discouraged colonists from settling there beforehand because it was contested territory, but I'm sure someone will be along any minute to offer some tired contrarian "well actually captain picard is just parroting lies like a good Federation stooge" line.

Nah more like 'the writing changed from episode to episode to suit that specific plot and had no overarching theme but that won't stop nerds from doing nerd archeology to win a stupid argument'

HTH

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

akasnowmaaan posted:

Nah more like 'the writing changed from episode to episode to suit that specific plot and had no overarching theme but that won't stop nerds from doing nerd archeology to win a stupid argument'

HTH

no real loss, stupid arguments usually accomplish about as much as arguments about substantive issues anyway

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
God guys you are so lame posting discussions about things that don't really matter on the internet. Try doing something that matters with your lives!

Now if you will excuse me I'm off to partake in a combined anime/masturbation marathon.

- akasnowmaaan, 2015

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I wish you'd all stop fighting. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Shadow posted:

I wish you'd all stop fighting. :(

the shadows in babylon 5 understood that without conflict there is no progress

• Locked thread