Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I've been trying to avoid any kind of burnout and only got a few games per evening so far. Ahaha who am I kidding, this Monday is a Bank Holiday and I'm going to play non stop :black101:

Anyway, I think I've been incredibly lucky with pubbies, since I've played 5 games (1 easy and 4 normal, one on each map) and we've managed to finish them all, some of them with tomes as well. Got only 1 green item though (Conflag staff with % of increased attack speed on kill).

I think bots may have some issues with the Wizard Tower...the only time I've played it, we had a Soldier Bot and we got separated from the other 2 pubbies by a gas grenade; I went down on purpose from 1% life to heal myself with an healing pot and the Bot just stood there, on the other side of a small pit, looking at me bleeding out :( Good thing he got teleported back to the main group as soon as I died.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.
I can't adjust FOV in this game, If I make it more than 75 it seems like things closer to center of the screen are smaller than ones that on the sides. How do you choose what FOV is good for you?

Kirs fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 22, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kirs posted:

I can't adjust FOV in this game, If I make it more than 75 it seems like things closer to center of the screen are smaller than ones that on the sides. How do you choose what FOV is good for you?

That's just regular fisheye. The FoV is vertical, so 75 FoV on a 1080p monitor is roughly equal to 105-110 hFoV. You can use the following to calculate the conversion between hFoV and vFoV: http://www.rjdown.co.uk/projects/bfbc2/fovcalculator.php

As for choosing which is good for you, just set it as wide as you feel like you can put it to play comfortably. I usually run 100-120 hFoV in FPSes so mine is set to 75, and the fisheye is barely noticeable.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Oct 22, 2015

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

That Italian Guy posted:

I think bots may have some issues with the Wizard Tower...the only time I've played it, we had a Soldier Bot and we got separated from the other 2 pubbies by a gas grenade; I went down on purpose from 1% life to heal myself with an healing pot and the Bot just stood there, on the other side of a small pit, looking at me bleeding out :( Good thing he got teleported back to the main group as soon as I died.
They've got some serious 'straight lines only' problem when going to go revive someone, I went down in front of a Kruber-bot in Supply and Demand's explosive barrel courtyard before the tower thing you climb in circles, but between the bot and me was a lamppost and he spent the entire time trying to run through a space inbetween the lamppost and the wall that's too small for a person I guess and instead got stuck and just blurred shaking up and down.

FOV chat above, I know in the AMA the devs said there'll be some fuckery with the rat's animations and getting hit at lengths you don't expect to get hit at because the game is made with the default FOV in mind and they only added the ability to change it for those who'd complain too much without it, so keep that in mind?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Metos posted:

FOV chat above, I know in the AMA the devs said there'll be some fuckery with the rat's animations and getting hit at lengths you don't expect to get hit at because the game is made with the default FOV in mind and they only added the ability to change it for those who'd complain too much without it, so keep that in mind?

I guess that explains why the WH lunge seems to reach super far, I guess (I've set FOV to 90 so, if I've understood this correctly, I see what's right in front of me as if it is more distant that what it really is).

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I think I'm officially done with random games. All I want to do when I take a short break from work is stab ratmans in the face, but that's more frustrating than fun when random groups can't seem to get past the second gate on sewers (hard). Why yes, letting the group get trapped in the corner by several stormvermin and not using bombs is a splendid idea and when it doesn't work, just yell at the elf and pull the same poo poo again next time.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Yelling at the elf is always the correct answer.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

gently caress the elf

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Having played the Elf last night using the SIngle Sword weapon, I must sadly announce the Elf is good and everyone is terrible for disliking them. It's a murder machine.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Drythe posted:

gently caress the elf
I actually had a good elf experience lately. Oh yeah, it was when I took the elf so that no dumb shitlord could.

gently caress the elf.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fans posted:

Having played the Elf last night using the SIngle Sword weapon, I must sadly announce the Elf is good and everyone is terrible for disliking them. It's a murder machine.

Yeah the single sword is pretty drat good. Really great at single target , small aoe cone damage. Overhand swings also have the added effect of chopping things into smaller things ><

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Drythe posted:

gently caress the elf

:mrgw:

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

For fucks sake. Played 3 hard horn games, the pubbies poo poo the bed on the finale everytime. Then I dropped it to loving normal and got a level 0 and a level N/A, neither of which would pick up the jump puzzle tome. The level 0 elf just refused to even humor us and ran off. The N/A at least attempted it a ton of times but just could not loving make the lamppost jump. I punted my grimoire as an act of mercy and left. 2 hours, no items. GGs

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Please play with friends, it solves pretty much all the issues and you get to laugh heartily when the game proceeds to skull gently caress you with a Rat Ogre, swarm and 3 specials :getin:

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Fans posted:

Its not that the character is bad, it's that it attracts the poo poo-for-brains types who run off by themselves, never realise bombs are for throwing not for hoarding, or use medical supplies on themselves at 70% to pick up a tome while the dwarf is on 20%. The elf itself is great, I've had a lot of success running dual swords and being a blender, but I've also only seen it be played well 1/10th of the time.

To put it another way - I haven't played it since when the Meet the Spy video came out, but I'm pretty sure if there was a Venn diagram of Elf players and people who pick Sniper in TF2 to just hang around the back trying to get headshots and just generally being useless to the team it'd just be a circle.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fans posted:

Yeah, it's good. The quickbow is garbage, unfortunately, but once you have a longbow you're set.

Sword and dagger combo is also good, but not the twin daggers.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
It's still fun to blame her for everything since she's kind of a massive bitch. Oh sure, people can go 'oh but its because my waifu she's putting on a brave face because she's scared,' but none of the other characters take her poo poo. Also her 'i know better' attitude fits well with pubbies who play her and expressly do not know poo poo.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Does anything else unlock at the Inn? Or is it just the forge.

I both want to know what that door in the basement leads to, but at the same time, don't want the surprise ruined.

I both love and hate getting loot for other people. On one hand, now my Dwarf had a loving handcannon, and my Bright Wizard has some really cool spells through various staffs. On the other hand, I prefer the Soldier, and have gotten nothing for him yet. I also keep getting poo poo for the Elf, and gently caress the Elf. On the other hand, I guess I can salvage all this Elf poo poo to boost the real gear I'm getting.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
The forge is the only thing that unlocks. Or rather, it's the only thing in the beta, we don't know if there's going to be more in the full game.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
Forget about the door in the basement what about the mysterious ledge above it that leads to like a secret half-floor-beneath-the-ground-floor? That's what I wanna know about.

Come As You SARS
Jul 27, 2015
Less talk about the elf and more talk about the dwarf. He is the one and only true waifu. I really hope they implement some secrets that are party member specific, like a grimoire that is in a hole only fit for the dwarf, or a door that can only be opened by fire from the wizards staff.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Rookersh posted:

I both want to know what that door in the basement leads to, but at the same time, don't want the surprise ruined.

You know the answer.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

That's where the skaven will drop from.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
I was bored, none of my friends are online, and I certainly don't want to risk playing with pubbies.

Instead, I played with AI. The first time I played Magnus, normal. The AI got stuck on the balcony just after the tower barracks. I don't know how. A globadier launched a gas bomb on their heads and they pretty much lost all of their health. I had to charge forward, beating a horde on my own to get far away enough from the AI so they would teleport near me. We died soon after.

The second time I played Magnus again, and we succeeded! Hooray! Took a bit of micromanagement with medical supplies.

Third time I thought I could continue this bit of luck and tried the Sewers. The AI got stuck on a fence, refused to fire ranged weaponry or do anything and a packmaster just nabbed me. He hang me up, and I died. YOU HAVE BEEN DEFEATED.

I tried again today, again, Magnus. The AI just doesn't work.

- They can't use potions
- They can't use bombs
- They have a lot of trouble pathfinding
- They have trouble disengaging
- They don't use medical supplies until it's too late. This sometimes leads to medical supplies lying unused on the ground, because they haven't used their old one yet even though they loving should.
- They don't pick up tomes unless their medical slot is empty (and will promptly drop the tome as soon as they find a medical item!)

Otherwise, they're decent fighters and they're absolute special Skaven killers. Most specials die before they even have a chance to do anything.

A lot of potential, but right now it's just not worth the time. A real shame. You probably still have better results than with pubbies though.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Play with pubs you freak

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I was making fun of a streamer today because he was whining about bots being useless and he couldn't solo magnus on hard anymore. I told him to get gud and for my wisdom I got a chat ban :smug:

Edit: seriously though the game wasn't made for solo play you idiots.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
Regardless I had more fun with bots than with pubbies so far.

Also bots don't vote you out of the game 5 seconds before the end.

Iceshade fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 22, 2015

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
I dunno what everyone's so upset about with pubs. Sure, they're pubs, but they're not worse than pubs are in every other game. I complete most my normal pubgames and get my loot and go play hard with my friends once their NEET hard-working asses wake up. get home from work

Trier fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 22, 2015

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

If you ever want something fun to read while game is down. This thread delivers.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/235540/discussions/1/483368526569634121/

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

TwatHammer posted:

If you ever want something fun to read while game is down. This thread delivers.

That man has some serious asshurt about having to play with A Better Man.

e:

Trier fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 22, 2015

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Can this be played with an xbox controller

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Trier posted:

I dunno what everyone's so upset about with pubs. Sure, they're pubs, but they're not worse than pubs are in every other game. I complete most my normal pubgames and get my loot and go play hard with my friends once their NEET hard-working asses wake up. get home from work

When pubs screw up in Killing Floor or L4D, I don't really care because I don't lose nothing. If that loving mouth breather stands between me and my opportunity to roll a lovely white hagbow when my favorite character is the dwarf, I get quite irate.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The sideways dodge feels anemic to me because the rats just track you, I wish they got locked into their swings a lot more than they do.

Rat ogre talk, blocking it is odd because it is easier to continuously do with a sword than a shield, since it knocks off the full stamina of a sword (three) but then takes four off a shield carrier. So the shield can do it twice, relatively quickly, but then have to recharge for longer. Maybe because they are catching more of the blow, I dunno

TwatHammer posted:

That is a lot of salt about having to actually play a game

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 22, 2015

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Serotonin posted:

Can this be played with an xbox controller

Why do you hate headshots on specials?

(but yes)

Also there's some weird issue with the X button apparently, IE: it doesn't work. Right now it's probably better to emulate it, I guess.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I wish they'd let you find upgrade ore in the levels. Doesn't need to be a whole lot, but given how long it takes to do even the shortest level, it's a pain in the rear end to get to the point where you can just upgrade gear you've gotten sometimes.

e; like, 1-2 white ores and 0-1 green ores per Hard run of a normal-length level (Sewers excepted, basically). Maybe tie it to Tomes or Grimoires.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 22, 2015

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Badly Jester posted:

When pubs screw up in Killing Floor or L4D, I don't really care because I don't lose nothing. If that loving mouth breather stands between me and my opportunity to roll a lovely white hagbow when my favorite character is the dwarf, I get quite irate.

thankfully we have speedruns of the sewers to farm white green items at a decent rate. if you're averaging about 5 minutes each run you get enough to craft 2 lovely hagbows every hour or so

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

You know the answer.

If they put in Scrunt DLC I don't think I could ever play anything else. All the other characters dialogue would be them awkwardly trying to acknowledge the Scrunt as little as possible

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

That Italian Guy posted:

Why do you hate headshots on specials?

(but yes)

Also there's some weird issue with the X button apparently, IE: it doesn't work. Right now it's probably better to emulate it, I guess.

I played it for a bit on the couch and didn't have any issues with my controller, maybe it is an intermittent bug (using wireless dongle and regular 360 controller)

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I played it for a bit on the couch and didn't have any issues with my controller, maybe it is an intermittent bug (using wireless dongle and regular 360 controller)

Ah good to know, I was just quickly googling it and the first few hits all mentioned this weird issue, but maybe they're old stuff now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I cant play the game- getting a backend error? Are the servers down?

• Locked thread