Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

KataraniSword posted:

"Paladin"/Knight styled characters kind of zig-zag as far as their offensive power (Cecil was only second because your other melee options were the shitwrecker dragoon and the wussy ninja that wasn't very good at much of anything, but on the flipside FF5 Knights are one of the biggest beatsticks in the game, and then, well, General Leo.) but they're always top of the class defensively, meaning Beatrix already suggests that she's too tough to bring down easily, and then proceeds to open up a can of whoop-rear end all over your face and neck area.

Bolding for emphasis. That's pretty much entirely what they were going for with Beatrix, from the buildup to her abilities in combat. She might be akin to the Knight class like Steiner but she is a General.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Something I kind of like here is that we are throwing down with Beatrix for absolutely no stakes, other than, like, personal satisfaction and maybe the life of a dude she was probably going to spare anyway. We arrived far, far too late to make a difference. All we can hope to do is hold on long enough to be worth sparing.

This makes Stock Break feel a lot less bullshit than a similar attack would be in other circumstances.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Probably the most :wtc: of Final Fantasy villainous garb.

E: You have to sign in to mooch off of imgur now? What's going on in the world today?

Sum Mors fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 22, 2015

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I really love the Beatrix fight because of the build up. I also have dumb-loving 100% obsessed sibling who stopped playing after an hour and a half of trying to get the rare steal and now considers this game "over-rated" after seeing me finish it because he's out of his mind a dumb-gently caress.
:bang:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Fabulousvillain posted:

I really love the Beatrix fight because of the build up. I also have dumb-loving 100% obsessed sibling who stopped playing after an hour and a half of trying to get the rare steal and now considers this game "over-rated" after seeing me finish it because he's out of his mind a dumb-gently caress.
:bang:

If only there was some sort of guide back then to help him through it.

I can't wait til Simon lays the brilliance on us this time.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Though Kuja was a chick until someone referred to him as 'he'. I forget when that happens but I get the feeling it is some ways into the game, it's been years since I played 9.

Music Junkie
Sep 30, 2012

That's right, embrace the cute. Embrace it. You know you want to.
"This guy has the hair of Sephiroth, the theatricality of Kefka, the androgyny of Emperor Mateus, and the utter glee from being evil of Exdeath."

That is the BEST description of Kuja ever. He literally just oozes drama. And man, disc 1 seems to fly by before you realize it. From theater ship, to a creepy wood where a friend gets turned to stone saving you, to a town with an underground factory, to a town within a castle, and then to a destroyed, broken kingdom of eternal rain. And then you throw down with a lady who is so well-known that even a guard clearly goes "...wait, WHAT?! OH CRAP."

I forgot how much stuff is packed into just the first disc. I want to say disc 2 lightens in tone, but then I remember that we still don't know what's happening to Dagger and Steiner after they get on the train, and then this whole business with Cleyra, which is where the game is clearly pushing us. Looking forward to seeing what things I missed, or just plain didn't catch when I first played. And yes, Kuja wins all the awards for the sheer 'wtf-ery' of his outfit, 'cause a metal thong CANNOT be comfortable.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Kuja's outfit is definitely something, I'll say that much.

And yeah, Beatrix is a monster. When they say she killed 100 people effortlessly, they are not loving with you. Shock is no joke.

I never got that Oak Staff on Disc 1, though. I should try that sometime.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

sleepy.eyes posted:

Though Kuja was a chick until someone referred to him as 'he'. I forget when that happens but I get the feeling it is some ways into the game, it's been years since I played 9.

His textboxes are attributed to "Mystery Man" before anyone says his name.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

ultrafilter posted:

His textboxes are attributed to "Mystery Man" before anyone says his name.

That must have been what confused me then. "What man, all I see is three chicks?" Never the less, it took me some time for the penny to drop. What that says about me is up to you!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Kuja was basically a blob of white and purple colour for me thanks to my bad TV so the CG movie was my first good look at him.

"Is he wearing a...? Huh."

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Back when I first played this game something that seriously bothered me about Beatrix is that she's this enormously powerful force that is single handedly allowing/supporting Brahne's nonsense, and you never get to kick her rear end for it, once and for all. She just pounds on you forever until plot happens. A Beatrix vs Steiner "who is the true knight" fight scene would rule but it never happens. :argh:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Kuja is basically the best.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I can't not think of We Will Rock You when that cut scene is playing.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Poulpe posted:

Back when I first played this game something that seriously bothered me about Beatrix is that she's this enormously powerful force that is single handedly allowing/supporting Brahne's nonsense, and -spoiler-
She is a General and Brahne is the Queen, it's not her place to say that it's nonsense!

Thematically, Beatrix and Steiner have the same basic problem but arrive to their conclusions about it in their own way.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Beatrix and Steiner are the sword and shield of Alexandria, respectively.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I know people love to rag on his design but Kuja is actually a pretty good villain.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Mega64 posted:

This seems pretty lame until you realize Stop doesn't wear off in this game, making Stop essentially an instant death spell (albeit one that doesn't give rewards other than AP).

If there are multiple enemies in a fight, can you Stop one to prevent it from attacking, then kill it to receive xp? Or when you cast Stop on an enemy does it hard-code it to not give xp and items?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Captain Bravo posted:

If there are multiple enemies in a fight, can you Stop one to prevent it from attacking, then kill it to receive xp? Or when you cast Stop on an enemy does it hard-code it to not give xp and items?

I'm PRETTY sure they remain on the battlefield and can still be damaged (unlike with Petrify), so presumably you can kill them to get the exp/gil/items that would've been lost otherwise. I can't be sure about that, so someone else might want to test it.

EDIT: Just went and tested it. Fought a group of 3 enemies, killed them, looked for that same group of enemies, Stopped one and killed it before killing the other two. Got the same amount of experience for both fights. So yeah, as long as you off the Stopped monster first, you still get experience and stuff for it.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 22, 2015

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Captain Bravo posted:

You HAVE to kill it before killing the other enemies first, as the fight finishes if the only enemy remaining is stopped. If you Stop all the enemies, the fight ends too.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

I know people love to rag on his design but Kuja is actually a pretty good villain.

You know what they did to make Kuja even cooler in Dissidia? He had like eight glowing energy balls rolling around him in patterns at all times as he floated around. Loved that.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Speedball posted:

You know what they did to make Kuja even cooler in Dissidia? He had like eight glowing energy balls rolling around him in patterns at all times as he floated around. Loved that.

He also got a gym membership, although he still kept that hourglass figure that would make many a woman envious.

He might be the most androgynous man in the world but Kuja is probably my favorite FF villain for various reasons. Few people could pull off that outfit while still remaining intimidating.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I love Kuja but I always wondered why he has two feathers growing in the middle of his head.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The end of this disc is superb. It does such a great job of taking our heroes to their lowest lows. Freya's home has been destroyed, Vivi's still torn up about the black mages being used for war, Zidane and Dagger are as far apart as they've ever been, Dagger has no idea how evil her mum has got, there's a new super evil guy on the scene and the team just had their poo poo wrecked by the best soldier in the world who by the way is still around to kick their rear end if they get back up again. No other RPG (or video game in general) has ever managed to capture the sense of hopelessness seen here.

Also Mystery Sword is epically good.

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Never trust anything with beady eyes and a knife. Especially if it offers hugs.

Winklebottom posted:

I love Kuja but I always wondered why he has two feathers growing in the middle of his head.

It could just be something he wears, a la a weave?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Winklebottom posted:

Probably a bit of a joke. Kujaku is Japanese for peacock.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Kuja has the dumbest outfit in FF history, and that's saying a lot.

There's more clothing on his arms than his torso!

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Nebrilos posted:

I can't not think of We Will Rock You when that cut scene is playing.

It always reminds me of one of the soundtracks from 7.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

U.T. Raptor posted:

Kuja has the dumbest outfit in FF history, and that's saying a lot.

There's more clothing on his arms than his torso!

I'm on phone or I'd grab that picture of Nooj that popped up in the FFVII thread. Remember the artist we're talking about here. If there's even such thing as dumbest, not wearing much does not cut it. :colbert:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I don't believe Akihiko Yoshida was the main artist for FF9, but nonetheless, his spirit is strong in Kuja's appearance. Gotta rock the butt-baring wardrobe like nobody's business.

Yet Kuja is the best main villain in the FF series hands-down, regardless of how much of his butt we can see.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It's a shame that after telling the Burmecian soldier she'd show him no mercy she does exactly that to the party. I guess I can understand her leaving one of the party alive but she should at least murdered Quina, it would give him some meaning in the game!

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Disc 1's cliffhanger is sublime. I love it so much. I think Disc 2 opens waaaay too soft afterwards, but that's neither here nor there. Kuja's androgyny is staggering.

Also, the opening to Burmecia is just begging for a *~cinemagraph~*:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CHAPTER SEVEN: "Good shoot!" shouted Gitan at the glove man.

gently caress.

poo poo!

Goddamn!

Is this seriously how you're gonna treat me?

Okay, finally.

Phoenix Downs revive with anywhere from 1 to 10 HP. Quark has a spell that only works at 1 HP.

I'd kinda like to use it for, you know, the boss of Gizamaluke's Grotto, the vicious Grotto.

This is one of two Blue Magic spells to see regular use at level 1, the other of which is set-up for it. Why?

Well, it's one of three moves in the game that can deal a fixed 9,999 damage. Its condition is that Quark must be at 1 HP, or it fails.

Grotto only has 3,175 HP.

gently caress this anteater motherfucker!

Kukri does kick Tinhank from inside the sack and Tinhank is all "dang anteater gets to live... this time...."

I have nimble fingers in the most meaningless of circumstances.

Anyway, back to Gitan and friends.

It involves a lot of fleeing as I head towards the beach.

Eventually I do reach the chocobo tracks mostly intact.

Except Quark died once or twice but who cares.

Choco inhales so much weed haze he turns blue. Ok. I'm accepting this.

BTW I have to avoid this Type A fight again. And I'll have to dodge it again going back to Burmecia.

Bio is Papito's best damage spell until disc 3, where the concept of Vivi dealing damage goes away, and Drain is useless as he'll live in a binary of full HP or dead. Stop, however, is mandatory.

Both because it works far, far better than the Needle Fork, and there are swaths of disc 2 only possible with this specific Oak Staff.

21 defense is a hell of a lot for this point in the game, and auto-potion is incredibly useful at level 1. With this, if Papito isn't being instantly KOed he's going to recover all his HP and live forever.

I know where all the stellazio are by heart. I hope. If I miss one I'll be very embarrassed.

Another mandatory fight with a pair of Type As, but this time, I've got a better stick.

At 800 gil a pop this is kind of overkill, frankly.

Stop's fancy effects prevent you from knowing if the spell worked until this gray clock face fades. It's unbearably tense.

But if it works on the last enemy, the command menu disappears and it's a really sweet feeling.

Stop has a 47-enemy level% chance of success at Papito's level 1 stats, and I can up this to 48% with clever equipment manipulation. Focus would boost this chance by about 2% on its first use and up to 65-level% chance if I have him Focus to 99 magic. The highest level enemy He'll need to Stop is level 36.

Antibody won't be particularly useful but Quark has little else to do with magic stones.

BTW the rest of Burmecia is fleeing.

I really don't need this spear since by the time Ratchel needs to jab something she'll have another, stronger spear, but it's free.

I can't believe that this is the only time Ratchel's relevant this update. Quark and Papito are just stealing the show.

I buy from the mogshop, of course. I get one Bronze Vest because why the hell not.

It's not like there's a free one that would be easy to get now that I have Stop.

And then, Phoenix Down RNG again.

Okay there are a few dozen more resets in there but you get the idea.

Then... everyone gets nude.

I said something about making a video of the Beatrix fight so here it is.

click me.

TL;DW Limit Glove.

DISC 2: ROMANCE, INTRIGUE, TERROR, THE HARDEST loving PART OF THE CHALLENGE LIES IN WAIT

REGISTER OF RESETS:
One to Tidal Flame Garnet for the hell of it; Unknown number lost to plant spiders spawn numbers; died to Flans without Flee; Untimely crit pushed Sealion to fatally Blizzara; less work to suicide on optional Type A fight than to win or reset; incredible number of resets for phoenix down RNG; and then again.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Low level runs make such wonderfully schadenfreudige LPs. :allears:

E: VVV Thank you! :)

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 22, 2015

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The adjective for Schadenfreude is schadenfreudig, plural (and female) schadenfreudige.

FeyerbrandX posted:

If only there was some sort of guide back then to help him through it.

I can't wait til Simon lays the brilliance on us this time.
Haha, I almost forgot that I was doing that because I got lost in FF9's presentation again (also there is far more story than gameplay in this part).

Gonna preface from now on to prevent possible confusion: I'm quoting from the Excalibur 2 Perfect Game Guide! This is how not to only beat the game at low level, but to also make a speedrun of it, and how to also not miss any missable items! It's elaborate as hell and maybe slightly insane!

There is actually nothing for this part I can offer which wasn't covered by the LP and OFS, as it's pretty straightforward. The guide of course gets all missable items and does everything really quickly, but nothing stands out as particularly extreme compared to a "normal" Level 1 game (though of course you are expected to save halfway to locations, reload to reset the encounter rate, and reload again whenever you still do get an encounter). So I'll leave you with boss strategies we've seen as written by the guide because I think it's actually pretty funny (and in Beatrix' case, informative). Also, that formating, man!

Gizamaluke:
code:
     .====================.                                          ____
  .--| BATTLE: GIZAMALUKE |-----------------------------------------(5 AP)--.
  |  '===================='                                          ŻŻŻŻ   |
  |                                                                         |
  | • If Zidane's turn comes up before Quina's then you can try to Steal    |
  |   once if you like - the 256/256 Elixir certainly won't hurt.           |
  | • Use Quina's Limit Glove!                                              |
   >-----------------------------------------------------------------------<
Beatrix:
code:
     .===================.                                           ____
  .--| BATTLE: Beatrix 1 |------------------------------------------(0 AP)--.
  |  '==================='                                           ŻŻŻŻ   |
  | • Did you know that Limit Glove is a spelling error? It was actually    |
  |   meant to be Limit GLOBE! :)                                           |
  '-------------------------------------------------------------------------'
Well then!

Oh, one thing about the Bells:

code:
  |   will still find him running around the grotto even on Disc 4. Thanks  |
  |   to Kamy41 for testing and confirming this in 2015.                    |
  | * It's assumed that you fight the battle, but you stand to save between |
  |   40 seconds to over a minute by skipping it.                           |
  | * If you defeat the Black Mage and pick up the soldier's Gizamaluke Bell|
  |   you'll be left with 1 bell and 1 closed door, at which point it will  |
  |   be up to you to decide what to do here on Disc 4.                     |
  | * The Gizamaluke Bell is just as unique a key item as the Athlete Queen |
  |   or the coffees. Even if you decide to use it on Disc 4 to open the    |
  |   last door, it will still be visible that you got all of the bells. Or |
  |   you can just leave the mage alone forever.                            |
Those ARE some tough-rear end decisions, I agree.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I know word salad captures the insanity of it all but I feel like the reset register should be bullet points. Partially because I'd like to see how long the listing can get.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

The adjective for Schadenfreude is schadenfreudig, plural (and female) schadenfreudige.

Haha, I almost forgot that I was doing that because I got lost in FF9's presentation again (also there is far more story than gameplay in this part).

Gonna preface from now on to prevent possible confusion: I'm quoting from the Excalibur 2 Perfect Game Guide! This is how not to only beat the game at low level, but to also make a speedrun of it, and how to also not miss any missable items! It's elaborate as hell and maybe slightly insane!

There is actually nothing for this part I can offer which wasn't covered by the LP and OFS, as it's pretty straightforward. The guide of course gets all missable items and does everything really quickly, but nothing stands out as particularly extreme compared to a "normal" Level 1 game (though of course you are expected to save halfway to locations, reload to reset the encounter rate, and reload again whenever you still do get an encounter). So I'll leave you with boss strategies we've seen as written by the guide because I think it's actually pretty funny (and in Beatrix' case, informative). Also, that formating, man!

Gizamaluke:
code:
     .====================.                                          ____
  .--| BATTLE: GIZAMALUKE |-----------------------------------------(5 AP)--.
  |  '===================='                                          ŻŻŻŻ   |
  | • If Zidane's turn comes up before Quina's then you can try to Steal    |
  |   once if you like - the 256/256 Elixir certainly won't hurt.           |
  | • Use Quina's Limit Glove!                                              |
   >-----------------------------------------------------------------------<
Beatrix:
code:
     .===================.                                           ____
  .--| BATTLE: Beatrix 1 |------------------------------------------(0 AP)--.
  |  '==================='                                           ŻŻŻŻ   |
  | • Did you know that Limit Glove is a spelling error? It was actually    |
  |   meant to be Limit GLOBE! :)                                           |
Well then!

Oh, one thing about the Bells:

code:
  |   will still find him running around the grotto even on Disc 4. Thanks  |
  |   to Kamy41 for testing and confirming this in 2015.                    |
  | * It's assumed that you fight the battle, but you stand to save between |
  |   40 seconds to over a minute by skipping it.                           |
  | * If you defeat the Black Mage and pick up the soldier's Gizamaluke Bell|
  |   you'll be left with 1 bell and 1 closed door, at which point it will  |
  |   be up to you to decide what to do here on Disc 4.                     |
  | * The Gizamaluke Bell is just as unique a key item as the Athlete Queen |
  |   or the coffees. Even if you decide to use it on Disc 4 to open the    |
  |   last door, it will still be visible that you got all of the bells. Or |
  |   you can just leave the mage alone forever.                            |
Those ARE some tough-rear end decisions, I agree.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Speaking of Kuja having silly outfits, here's his alternate costume in Dissidia.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Speaking of Kuja having silly outfits, here's his alternate costume in Dissidia.

This is a rather relevant outfit for a later part of disc 2.

I don't think he ever wears it in FF9 but it does take relevance to a particular place as a callback aesthetically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

He doesn't wear it in-game, no.

• Locked thread