Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

diamond dog posted:

also idk if you guys can handle more truth so soon but Quiet is obviously a vampire

This would make her Vamp's mom. It's pretty clear they would retcon Vamp's story of surviving off the blood of his family as also being saved by parasites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5jx9aYSG1c

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Someone pointed out how appropriate of a song Garbage - Not Your Kind of People was for the trailers. Well I've been on an 80s music kick and how in the ever-living gently caress is Mr Roboto not a collectible tape in this game? The plot of this game comes from the lyrics of those two songs. Come on Kojima-san, release the DLC

Mr Roboto is the plot of SOMA actually

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

kojima has pretty good taste in music

I've liked all of his inclusions in credit scrolls that I can recall

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Snak posted:

This would make her Vamp's mom. It's pretty clear they would retcon Vamp's story of surviving off the blood of his family as also being saved by parasites.

Luckily they dont have to as Quiet is actually Chico and cannot bear children

http://youtu.be/m9DtyqOX2L8

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If I had to pick one extra song to put in the game, it'd probably be like, Games Without Frontiers or something.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Alain Post posted:

If I had to pick one extra song to put in the game, it'd probably be like, Games Without Frontiers or something.

david bowie's "rebel rebel" from the album diamond dogs

You've got your mother in a whirl
She's not sure if you're a boy or a girl

see, it's even about quiet

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Quiet is a lady. You even get the examination report as a key item. This theory has no legs imo.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Snak posted:

Insert joke about "the copulation" with Fortune's dad here.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Metal Gear Solid 5: Diamonds and Rust

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Colapops posted:

Metal Gear Solid 5: Diamonds and Rust

Oh.
My.
God.

I just got that. Like, when I looked up who sang "Here's to You" I was like, oh hey, she's who sing's "Diamonds and Rust", I like that song. Because I heard it in way back in GZ, I wasn't still thinking about it when they introduced metallic archaea that turns everything to rust.

I'm gonna go listen to it now.

And also the Judas Priest cover, because we all know how much Kojima and Big Boss both like leather.

edit:
OH MY GOD.

no, the version to listen to is by Stormtroopers of Death, or S.O.D. off of their 1985 album Speak English or Die

Haha which is 6 seconds long.

Snak fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 21, 2015

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Slightly Toasted posted:

Luckily they dont have to as Quiet is actually Chico and cannot bear children

http://youtu.be/m9DtyqOX2L8

How detached from reality are these people?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

NeilPerry posted:

How detached from reality are these people?

There were people who seriously thought Peace Walker would be about 4 Big Boss clones. That answers that question.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

They should make a game where every character is Big Boss

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Onmi posted:

There were people who seriously thought Peace Walker would be about 4 Big Boss clones. That answers that question.
uh, what? why

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Because the trailer initially had 4 Big Boss's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx4k1aa07Ng

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I'd forgotten how delightful it is to find little Easter eggs in these games that you had no idea of beforehand, mostly because I'd learned of them at some point or another before experiencing them. And then, without having any idea that it was a thing that could occur (somewhat surprisingly, since a post-egg Google makes it seem pretty well-known), after a few minutes of downtime during [EXTREME] Cloaked in Silence, I got to interrupt Quiet's rainbow jig with a high-powered tranq to the face. It was refreshing to encounter it with no expectation.

That said, something about it feels almost like a sly way of acknowledging that the character is dumb as gently caress. I mean, I know this is a series with a penchant for the goofy, especially with the Easter Eggs, but it's hard for me not to get that notion even if I know better.

Enchanting, bat-poo poo insanity

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Onmi posted:

Because the trailer initially had 4 Big Boss's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx4k1aa07Ng

Ok, I never seen Peace Walker trailers but I stopped and laughed at the "Legendary 'Missing Link' of the series" part, right after remembering how TPP was advertised.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
i am big boss and big boss is me

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I'm bummed there's never gonna be a game where you play Venom Snake, building up Outer Heaven and recruiting a gang of boomerang throwing, shoot gunning misfits to defend your fortress, making sure to keep all the narcoleptic guys on the outskirts . Being able to fight Solid Snake in some epic duel would have been fun.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
no one thinks it's cool that there's a "cover" of Diamonds and Rust on an album called "Speak English or Die" from 1985?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
So i finaly beat chapter 1 and i have been doing a bunch of stuff in chapter 2. kinda disappointed.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Snak posted:

no one thinks it's cool that there's a "cover" of Diamonds and Rust on an album called "Speak English or Die" from 1985?

It's cool

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Chico is Quiet is so dumb. She's doesn't speak because English will kill people and no one but code talker speaks Navajo. Why would a kid named Chico from Costa Rica only speak English and Navajo?

These are thoughts I had watching that dumb video. I turned it off 3 minutes in after I realized it was published in 2014.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Vikar Jerome posted:

Vermon CaTaffy

I genuinely wondered for a minute if this is what inspired the name "Venom"

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
After listening to Quiets tape I'm really glad she doesn't speak because Stephanie Joosten can't act for poo poo!

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I am Quiet.... I am the absence of words

more like... the absence of talent :evilbuddy: :m-m-megakill:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

nice av

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I just want my headshot dispensing machine back.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Zombie Raptor posted:

I'd forgotten how delightful it is to find little Easter eggs in these games that you had no idea of beforehand, mostly because I'd learned of them at some point or another before experiencing them. And then, without having any idea that it was a thing that could occur (somewhat surprisingly, since a post-egg Google makes it seem pretty well-known), after a few minutes of downtime during [EXTREME] Cloaked in Silence, I got to interrupt Quiet's rainbow jig with a high-powered tranq to the face. It was refreshing to encounter it with no expectation.

That said, something about it feels almost like a sly way of acknowledging that the character is dumb as gently caress. I mean, I know this is a series with a penchant for the goofy, especially with the Easter Eggs, but it's hard for me not to get that notion even if I know better.

Enchanting, bat-poo poo insanity

I think I'm having a stroke as I cannot parse a single sentence here.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

So, was there an actual good reason why Quiet didn't just write in English? Was it because she hated everyone but Snake on Mother Base? Apologies if this was actually explained, it's been a while since I beat the story.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

MrSmokes posted:

So, was there an actual good reason why Quiet didn't just write in English? Was it because she hated everyone but Snake on Mother Base? Apologies if this was actually explained, it's been a while since I beat the story.

there are implied reasons I guess, but none of them are good. It's the plot being extremely lazy.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

MrSmokes posted:

I seem to remember them saying that even thinking of a certain language caused physical palpitations or whatever that could still stimulate the parasites or whatever. Does that make sense?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

MrSmokes posted:

I would think it's because she was still thinking about killing Big Boss and thus didn't want to show her hand. Better to act entirely mute for no apparent reason than to tell them you have parasites.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Also, if she wrote in English that's grounds for Miller to interrogate her even more. Not communicating through words at all was her best course of action.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Rocco posted:

I seem to remember them saying that even thinking of a certain language caused physical palpitations or whatever that could still stimulate the parasites or whatever. Does that make sense?

If that were the case, you'd think she'd be wigging out whenever someone spoke it around her.

I guess Quiet is also coincidentally a Navajo, who woulda thunk

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Rocco posted:

This is a real thing, actually, usually when you think a sentence in your head, your vocal cords move as though you were talking.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Gammatron 64 posted:

If that were the case, you'd think she'd be wigging out whenever someone spoke it around her.

I guess Quiet is also coincidentally a Navajo, who woulda thunk

She looks Navajo

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Nail Rat posted:

This is a real thing, actually, usually when you think a sentence in your head, your vocal cords move as though you were talking.

Yeah this was one of the flimsy explanations for how the CODEC works as well. Sub something communication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

CharlieWhiskey posted:

She looks Navajo

Yeah she kinda does. Wonder if she has any relation to Code Talker at all.

• Locked thread