Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

ScratchAndSniff posted:

In the history of the United States, police have never mistaken an airsoft gun for a real gun.

A bunch of fat white nerds have little to fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

ScratchAndSniff posted:

In the history of the United States, police have never mistaken an airsoft gun for a real gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9FtNOV6Qhk

Yeah, you're right, that would never happen.

http://nypost.com/2014/11/27/cops-release-video-of-officer-fatally-shooting-12-year-old/

Never.

https://www.rt.com/usa/police-shooting-california-teen-719/

Happen.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Armagnac posted:

Uhm... As cool as & fun this looks, and a 20's larp sounds amazing... There are *way* too many real guns in america, and I would not be anywhere near this if the guns looked anywhere near real. The second the cops are called, or some redneck stumbles upon the game, I can just imagine it turning out really badly.

I mean, when we shoot movies with prop guns anywhere *near* any roads or anything we hire cops to make sure everything will be ok. I can't imagine running a lap with real looking firearms.

Others have already pointed out about Airsoft, and the same principle applies. This particular LARP (together with others that i'v attended using realistic looking guns) took place on a closed and private site, with the police already informed that there'd be a load of geeks in 20s gear with period firearms. Certainly you'd never run an event with gear like that say, in a bar in a city or what have you. The venue for that event (which is one of the best LARP sites I've used) is a Victorian school in the country which has been repurposed specifically to act as a LARP (and other outdoor activity) location. It's called Oakraven and it's frankly amazing. Even has secret doors cut through the walls and floors.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

What is hyperbole?

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

:thejoke:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Generally it's good to make sure everyone in LE knows LARP stuff is happening. And to try and minimize contact with locals. One of the groups I played with had a rule that you had to take off makeup before going into town, because someone in red devil style makeup got shot at. (This was, of course, rural deep south.)

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

What the gently caress happened to people? They used to be forced to socialize and be relatively normal until the Internet came along and those folks who rightfully deserve to be shunned by society instead have a place where they can all pat each other on the back and reassure themselves that poo poo like this is normal.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

The French Army! posted:

What the gently caress happened to people? They used to be forced to socialize and be relatively normal until the Internet came along and those folks who rightfully deserve to be shunned by society instead have a place where they can all pat each other on the back and reassure themselves that poo poo like this is normal.

LARP predates the Internet by some margin (or at least the widespread use/popularity of it). Hell, the Lorien Trust (the system I mainly play in) goes back to the very early 1990s, and there are uk systems still running that go back to the late 70s/early 80s.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
And the Society for Creative Anachronism has been around since 1966. While not strictly a LARP, that poo poo's definitely a gateway drug. Every LARPER I've ever known was a current or former member.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I've been playing in or running a Vampire LARP for almost 9 years now, and I've come up with one very simple metric for if someone is just a cool person generally who likes to play Vampire High School Politics and be a fangdork, or whether they're a terrible person generally who takes this poo poo too serious and/or is a nutbar:

-If the character they are playing is *less* cool/collected/a good person than they are = cool dude exploring improvisational role play.

-If the character they are playing is *more* competent/awesome/suave than they are = tryhard weirdo who will make your time in the LARP very aggravating.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Everblight posted:

I've been playing in or running a Vampire LARP for almost 9 years now, and I've come up with one very simple metric for if someone is just a cool person generally who likes to play Vampire High School Politics and be a fangdork, or whether they're a terrible person generally who takes this poo poo too serious and/or is a nutbar:

-If the character they are playing is *less* cool/collected/a good person than they are = cool dude exploring improvisational role play.

-If the character they are playing is *more* competent/awesome/suave than they are = tryhard weirdo who will make your time in the LARP very aggravating.

Pretty accurate.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Everblight posted:

Also, if someone's greatest achievement in life is something that they have achieved in a LARP they are a double tryhard and will definitely make your LARP life aggravating and are someone to avoid in real life since they will never shut up about their LARP character goddamn I am just trying to have a smoke

No YOU'RE the one who's sending people letters so you can get elected General in a LARP next April, shut up

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

MikeCrotch posted:

Also, if someone's greatest achievement in life is something that they have achieved in a LARP they are a double tryhard and will definitely make your LARP life aggravating and are someone to avoid in real life since they will never shut up about their LARP character goddamn I am just trying to have a smoke

No YOU'RE the one who's sending people letters so you can get elected General in a LARP next April, shut up

When I quit playing I tried keeping in touch with some of the more tolerable players and sooner or later they'd still end up talking about the latest incredible make-believe happenings. We ended up drifting completely apart cause holy poo poo I don't care about how you bluffed your way past a demon lord we're in a coffee shop people are staring.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

Anoia posted:

When I quit playing I tried keeping in touch with some of the more tolerable players and sooner or later they'd still end up talking about the latest incredible make-believe happenings. We ended up drifting completely apart cause holy poo poo I don't care about how you bluffed your way past a demon lord we're in a coffee shop people are staring.
Bluffed his way past a DEMON LORD????????? :aaa:

Your friend is awesome. Who wouldn't stare? They wanted to hear how his noble quest ended. Please tell us his story.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I think it depends on whether the story is an ACTUAL story, or whether it's basically "I rolled a good number and was happy."

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Puppy Time posted:

I think it depends on whether the story is an ACTUAL story, or whether it's basically "I rolled a good number and was happy."

It's typically along the lines of 'my character had bigger numbers than the other guy, you should check out how big my numbers are :smug:'

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Error 404 posted:

And the Society for Creative Anachronism has been around since 1966. While not strictly a LARP, that poo poo's definitely a gateway drug. Every LARPER I've ever known was a current or former member.

SCA is kind of interesting, though. I'm not a participant, but I know a couple of folk who are, and one of the really neat things is that there's a lot of genuine historical methodologies being researched—metalworking, cuisine, tailoring, ceramics, and general arts and crafts. It's an interesting crossover between historical roleplaying and experimental archeology/sociology.

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?

Anoia posted:

This is exactly loving why larp and non-larp social circles have always been a terrible mix for me. I do a vampire larp, have for a few years, and it's 90% awful 5% intriguing like a train wreck 5% absolutely worth it, but getting these people to socialize and NOT talk about their goddamn make-believe vampires is loving impossible unless it is explicitly and repeatedly stressed that HEY GUYS, THERE ARE VISITORS HERE FROM REALITY, PLEASE TALK ABOUT THINGS OTHER THAN WHO IS THE NEXT PRINCE OF BUMBLEFUCK VAMPIRE LAND.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

hxcorpse posted:

This is exactly loving why larp and non-larp social circles have always been a terrible mix for me. I do a vampire larp, have for a few years, and it's 90% awful 5% intriguing like a train wreck 5% absolutely worth it, but getting these people to socialize and NOT talk about their goddamn make-believe vampires is loving impossible unless it is explicitly and repeatedly stressed that HEY GUYS, THERE ARE VISITORS HERE FROM REALITY, PLEASE TALK ABOUT THINGS OTHER THAN WHO IS THE NEXT PRINCE OF BUMBLEFUCK VAMPIRE LAND.

Are you me (except replace vampire with another LARP)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

The French Army! posted:

Physics, math, and engineering predate LARPing and the Internet as well.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

MikeCrotch posted:

Are you me (except replace vampire with another LARP)

No, they're me, circa half a dozen years ago.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
So, I mean, to me (I've only seen a 20 minute vice thing about how LARPing helped this kid with autism interact with people), many of the sexual horror stories really just sound like dumb people making drama out of people who want to gently caress other people in ways they don't approve. I mean, there's really nothing wrong with blowing a bunch of dudes as long as it's consensual. It just sounds like the problem is other people's hang ups in the community rather than the actual act.

But hey, the simpler explanation is that those sorts of stories are really related to a hosed up group of people playing power politics any way they can, either with higher numbers and character sheets or tits and blowjobs. That girl who offered sexual favours for "boons" was really illustrative of this.

Personally, I think it would be pretty cool to go hang out and improv with a bunch of people and maybe get laid, especially post-apocalyptic Finnish survivalist improv, but I don't think that's what's going on in these stories at all. :(

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

tuyop posted:

So, I mean, to me (I've only seen a 20 minute vice thing about how LARPing helped this kid with autism interact with people), many of the sexual horror stories really just sound like dumb people making drama out of people who want to gently caress other people in ways they don't approve. I mean, there's really nothing wrong with blowing a bunch of dudes as long as it's consensual. It just sounds like the problem is other people's hang ups in the community rather than the actual act.

But hey, the simpler explanation is that those sorts of stories are really related to a hosed up group of people playing power politics any way they can, either with higher numbers and character sheets or tits and blowjobs. That girl who offered sexual favours for "boons" was really illustrative of this.

Personally, I think it would be pretty cool to go hang out and improv with a bunch of people and maybe get laid, especially post-apocalyptic Finnish survivalist improv, but I don't think that's what's going on in these stories at all. :(

Did you read OPs background? That's the kind of emotional trauma that's getting you laid with the vamp LARP bicycle, not your 1337 skills as a player and a party dude.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

Did you read OPs background? That's the kind of emotional trauma that's getting you laid with the vamp LARP bicycle, not your 1337 skills as a player and a party dude.

Yeah, I know what you mean. On the surface it just looks like a group of sex-positive adults playing pretend but if you dig a little deeper it's really lovely and sad.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

tuyop posted:

Yeah, I know what you mean. On the surface it just looks like a group of sex-positive adults playing pretend but if you dig a little deeper it's really lovely and sad.

Most "sex positive" adults I encountered had trauma working towards that point, so that's that.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Show me on the statsheet where he touched you.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

Most "sex positive" adults I encountered had trauma working towards that point, so that's that.

I don't think everyone who likes having sex with lots of people was molested at some point. It's possible that liking sex or being promiscuous can be normal and healthy. Just like, stay safe sexy ghost.

Not in the cases here, though. Is the trauma the dudes face being bullied or what?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
I've been sitting here staring at a blank empty box trying to figure out what I'm going to say in response to you, tuyop. Frankly, there is nothing to say. I'm not saying you're right, but I'm certainly not saying you're wrong. What I will say is that from my own personal experiences over the years I've never really felt like those around me have ever given me a choice. Oft times the complaint of this is responded with "just walk away." But, ya know, I don't think anyone wants to do that. No one wants to just walk away from something they were enjoying just because someone else came and ruined it with whatever. I thought about that, and then I thought about all those assholes on tumblr going on about trigger warnings and other bullshit and thinking they should grow up. Well, people probably think the same thing about me because I get squicked by sexual stuff. I guess the big difference is I'm not all "you're triggering me" about it, but the difference is I put up with a lot over the years until I just couldn't take it anymore and left, which I didn't want to do. So I failed. I suppose what I'm saying here is that human beings are cruel parasitic monsters that as a whole the entire species couldn't give any of a less of a drat about how you feel about anything and honestly most of them wish you were dead.

We're all alone. All of us. And we're going to die alone. :smith:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Skunkrocker posted:

I've been sitting here staring at a blank empty box trying to figure out what I'm going to say in response to you, tuyop. Frankly, there is nothing to say. I'm not saying you're right, but I'm certainly not saying you're wrong. What I will say is that from my own personal experiences over the years I've never really felt like those around me have ever given me a choice. Oft times the complaint of this is responded with "just walk away." But, ya know, I don't think anyone wants to do that. No one wants to just walk away from something they were enjoying just because someone else came and ruined it with whatever. I thought about that, and then I thought about all those assholes on tumblr going on about trigger warnings and other bullshit and thinking they should grow up. Well, people probably think the same thing about me because I get squicked by sexual stuff. I guess the big difference is I'm not all "you're triggering me" about it, but the difference is I put up with a lot over the years until I just couldn't take it anymore and left, which I didn't want to do. So I failed. I suppose what I'm saying here is that human beings are cruel parasitic monsters that as a whole the entire species couldn't give any of a less of a drat about how you feel about anything and honestly most of them wish you were dead.

We're all alone. All of us. And we're going to die alone. :smith:

Nothing wrong with not wanting to indulge in everyone's fetishes and not sharing yourself or your SO. The internet and our nice hobbies are good places for people with extreme viewpoints to collect. Miniature painting horror thread agrees almost in unison that bare midrifs have no place in war, some folks pay $500 for Kingdom Death set with all the tentacles and penis monsters, and someone on 4chan's trad game board praised Degenesis for its :nws: European sensibilities like the entire Europe was just this undulating mass of tits and dicks (that's just Czech republic).

So, you know, it's not that bad.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Nothing surprises or disturbs me anymore, I just pretend that it does. I am dead inside.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
But, really, I can't think of anything that positive to say about LARPing. I think it could be that, a., it promotes physical activity in people who need it and, b., it can help teach some people skills like tailoring, prop-making and so on.

But the negatives outweigh the positives by such a huge amount that I wonder why people bother. As I've said, I've got friends who are hugely into LARP, and the sheer amount of drama that comes with it... why waste your time?

And the people I know who are really into it, really into it, I've known for a long time and therefore, like Tuyop says, I'm aware that they've all got things going on that obviously push them towards this hobby that is all about validation and little cliques. I've never seen someone improve as a result of the hobby, only regress. It's just an all-encompassing thing, too, that it basically devours any sort of shared social time.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Some people never get past high school mentally and love feeling like their life is a dramatic soap opera. That isn't just s larp thing. My guess is that a lot of those people love the batshit crazy drama (the OC stuff also not just the vampire prince poo poo).

I spent way too many of my weekend nights as an angsty teen smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee in Shoney's with a super drama "queen of the geeks" type. EVERYTHING was a crisis, everything was the most important/scandalous/SERIOUS BUSINESS/etc. thing ever. Admittedly some of our friends were pretty hosed up (people with opiate problems create all sorts of crazy poo poo just by existing) but a lot of it was just making drama to have something to sit around and feel adult about while chain smoking and drinking lovely diner coffee at 1am. That's pretty normal. Most people grow out of it, have a few life experiences that teach them that real drama isn't as fun as the zero-consequence HS poo poo, and generally mellow out. Some people stay that way their whole life and are pretty miserable to be around, and some of those people end up pretending they're ancient werewolf master beekeepers on the weekend.

edit: really the only thing about any of this that stands out as over the top for geek drama is how much they get involved in that one single thing. The sex part is pretty par for the course for socially awkward people who think that because they got picked on nothing can ever be criticized and who cluster together into very tight, incestuous social groups. I've known more than one chubby-ish, kinda average looking girl who became Queen of the Nerds by dint of being "sexually open/mature" (aka willing to gently caress people casually) and hanging out with guys who had a near-zero chance of getting laid in highschool. Every single one of them thought of themselves as a seductress as well, which in hindsight is loving hilarious. Those guys could get "seduced" by a microwaved trout.

edit x2: and before I seem overly harsh, I was one of those guys - only I never even managed to get any of the sex. I was truly spineless before college.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 26, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

ancient werewolf master beekeepers on the weekend.
edit x2: and before I seem overly harsh, I was one of those guys - only I never even managed to get any of the sex. I was truly spineless before college.

Aw, yeah, virginity destroying touch of university! Not that I didn't get laid due to gravitating towards "art" and "metal" chicks (hint: it's the trauma that helps). Now, my girlfriend has nary a skeleton in closet and it's great.

Cyrano4747 posted:

ancient werewolf master beekeepers on the weekend.

As if any of them would play a calm and collected old beekeeper garou.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Cyrano4747 posted:

ancient werewolf master beekeepers

JcDent posted:

As if any of them would play a calm and collected old beekeeper garou.

I'm going to a scifi con with a major Camarilla member who loves Garou this weekend. I'll make sure to mention this to him.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Milky Moor posted:

But, really, I can't think of anything that positive to say about LARPing. I think it could be that, a., it promotes physical activity in people who need it and, b., it can help teach some people skills like tailoring, prop-making and so on.

But the negatives outweigh the positives by such a huge amount that I wonder why people bother. As I've said, I've got friends who are hugely into LARP, and the sheer amount of drama that comes with it... why waste your time?

And the people I know who are really into it, really into it, I've known for a long time and therefore, like Tuyop says, I'm aware that they've all got things going on that obviously push them towards this hobby that is all about validation and little cliques. I've never seen someone improve as a result of the hobby, only regress. It's just an all-encompassing thing, too, that it basically devours any sort of shared social time.

As I've stated at length, the type of LARP I do and the people I LARP with are very different from the Camarilla crowd (at least for the most part), but I certainly know people who have been positively affected by LARP, and I count myself among them.

I've always been a loud, somewhat bombastic person who makes a big impression (for good or for ill, and that persona for a long time was a way of dealing with major social anxiety.. But I digress). So people would often end up looking to me for leadership in many different contexts. However I had absolutely no idea for much of my life how to lead, how to inspire or organise or to basically take any sort of position in charge of people. I learned how through LARP- being able to learn and practice these skills in what was basically a rl-consequence free environment did me a huge amount of good. And the skills I picked up through running what was basically a comedy fantasy police force (the Militia in the LT) have translated into all sorts of worthwhile and rewarding roles in the real world- hell, I picked up a promotion at my current job that basically doubled my salary by practicing the skills I learned shouting at people in a field.

Likewise, I've seen several friends of mine manage to break through social or emotional issues via role play- a very close friend of mine is the most quiet, anxious and timid guy you could ever meet. But get him in a field in his skaven gear and he becomes my personal murderbot who takes poo poo from nobody. He's only been attending events for a little over a year but you can already see the changes in him in how he reacts to situations, in how he takes control of events and in how much his confidence has increased.

Really, if you let it it can very much be a way to reinforce negative behaviours (and I think the regular weekly or monthly entirely stay-based systems are worse for this), but if you approach it as a way to try and break your habits in a safe space, then it really can be a force for good.

I've written elsewhere at length about my time in the furry fandom, and my experiences there are far closer to most of the horror stories of oversexed nerds that people have been sharing here than my time in a LARP field. Basically in the circles I love in and the games I play, if you're a dick you're going to get called on it; if you're broken then people will try and help and support you rather than try and trap you in that brokenness, and frankly weird sexual poo poo is not considered to have any place in the game. And I say that as the owner and operator of the best in-character brothel that the LT has ever had. :p

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Vampire LARP is its own special flavor of hosed up and awful.

Most of the boffer LARPS don't get that bad because when someone is being a creepy fucker you can just hit them.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Milky Moor posted:

Like, this thread is specifically about LARP horror stories. There are plenty of people who go to LARP because it is fun and good and do not get into super weird incestous gently caress webs.

You sound like you need to relax. Here, have a war rhino:

MikeCrotch fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 26, 2015

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

MikeCrotch posted:

Like, this thread is specifically about LARP horror stories. There are plenty of people who go to LARP because it is fun and good and do not get into super weird incestous gently caress webs.

You sound like you need to relax. Here, have a war rhino:

I'm soo sick of seeing that loving war rhino everywhere..

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Liquid Communism posted:

Vampire LARP is its own special flavor of hosed up and awful.

Most of the boffer LARPS don't get that bad because when someone is being a creepy fucker you can just hit them.

Decent point; if your character would hit another player's character, you just do it and they fall down and then you tell everyone they are evil and you deathstrike them and then they have to leave. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Camrath posted:

I'm soo sick of seeing that loving war rhino everywhere..

You seem to be allergic to good things

silvergoose posted:

Decent point; if your character would hit another player's character, you just do it and they fall down and then you tell everyone they are evil and you deathstrike them and then they have to leave. :3:

The downside is it leaves you open to griefers who like to kill people just for a laugh and steal their (in character stuff). Going for a piss in the bushes at night is a lot more exciting when someone can stab you in the back in the process which means you have to buy new clothes for your character :argh:

• Locked thread