Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I keep reading Butterscotch as Butterscooch. I don't know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Pyroi posted:

Impossible, all pups are the cutest dogs in the world.

I went looking for an ugly dog to prove you wrong, and it seems like there's a certain point where the uglier a dog is, the cuter it becomes. As near as I can tell, that point starts almost immediately after conventional cuteness drops to zero.

Theoretically, there must exist a dog that is far enough from cuteness and ugliness that it is completely uninteresting. Some sort of bland, flavourless dog that occupies the lone spot of 'the uncute puppy.'

Should we ever find that dog, however, it would immediately become cute by virtue of its uniqueness.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

RandomFerret posted:

I went looking for an ugly dog to prove you wrong, and it seems like there's a certain point where the uglier a dog is, the cuter it becomes. As near as I can tell, that point starts almost immediately after conventional cuteness drops to zero.

Theoretically, there must exist a dog that is far enough from cuteness and ugliness that it is completely uninteresting. Some sort of bland, flavourless dog that occupies the lone spot of 'the uncute puppy.'

Should we ever find that dog, however, it would immediately become cute by virtue of its uniqueness.

I feel like this should be called Cupid's Paradox or something

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I have an announcement for the thread. Soon my mother's Golden retriever will deliver a litter of puppies, which I will visit around the 22nd of November. I will have pics then.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

This is a fantastic picture. So much personality!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Ozz81 posted:

I miss the Sesame Street from my childhood, for little moments like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYIRO97dhII

The whole thing is pure :kimchi:, especially the end

Weapons-grade adorable here.

Saffronica
Feb 10, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

This is a fantastic picture. So much personality!

Thank you, it's one of my favourites pictures of him!

Chili posted:

His name is Butterscotch

That's going to be one very lucky fat cat! How long is he with you, is it until he's a fit cat?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Ozz81 posted:

E: more cuteness, they're just so enthusiastic about counting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scu9zzC5U3g

I don't know why but just the moment he realizes sixteen comes after fifteen because 6 comes after 5 is the best part for me. I guess mostly because he makes a realization right before your eyes.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Chili posted:

Oh god you guys, I'm so happy.

My fiancee and are continuing along with fostering kittens/cats from our local SPCA. There was a cat that needed fostering who was... 30 pounds. Yes, a 30 pound cat. His name is Butterscotch and he looks incredible.

Anyway, we were going to pull the trigger but someone else beat us to it. But today, we found out that his current fosters have sucked and he didn't eat with them for 3 days! Needless to say these people were let go and we were immediately summoned to come and get him, we're one of the SPCA's favorite fosters!

It's a really good day, we get DAT FAT KITTY and we found out we're doing a good job.

Of course, there will be far too many pictures of Butterscotch posted on Friday, once we get him. According to our point person, he's very needy and cuddly. This is going to be the best.

He won't be Fat Kitty forever, we're gonna be working with him to get him to a healthful weight so he can be adopted (but this already feels a hell of a lot like a foster failure).

Are you ready for Fat Kitty? You better be ready, 'cos Fat Kitty is a comin.

Butterscotch looks like he needs all the pets. Give him pets.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Saffronica posted:

Here we have the Sofa Shark, he waits for you to sit down before shooting his head out and sinking those razor sharp puppy teeth into the back of your heel...

Confirmed, puppynap plan in process.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Please check to see if your dog is Paddington.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Ugato posted:

I don't know why but just the moment he realizes sixteen comes after fifteen because 6 comes after 5 is the best part for me. I guess mostly because he makes a realization right before your eyes.

I think nowadays some of the new stuff feels kind of "forced", like the kids are more being told/coached what to say and do. The older ones were great because the kids were learning on their own with a little nudge and it just feels so much more genuine and real. The kids were just being themselves, learning, and being silly like the Muppets, and it was all so, so amazing to see. :)

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

that's a very lifelike stuffed animal

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
:spooky:Monster Owlette:spooky:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Winter is coming, and that means that it's hot tub time for capybaras in Japan

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Saffronica posted:

That's going to be one very lucky fat cat! How long is he with you, is it until he's a fit cat?

So this is actually a "foster to adopt" situation. Sometimes, they identify a cat as particularly high need and in those instances, they request that you are the cat's final stop before his or her forever home.

So, I imagine there will be a target weight for him to hit (we'll learn about that today) and once he hits it, we will be allowed to place him. Until that time however, we get all da floof.

SPEAKING OF WHICH

If there are any goons in the Baltimore County/Maryland area that would like to visit/potentially adopt Fat Kitty, you just let me know.

My fiancee picks him up today, I'm worried she'll have a hard time getting him in the house, he's more than 1/4 her weight.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Baby Tasmanian Devils:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWwUAsPZ1_Y

Cute, but ornery.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Anger-roos,

BurroughsBane
May 21, 2007

I mean to know before I go how come the devil smiles.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

What's great is they did a little segment 20 years later (skip to around 1:10):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb5YKfLBuo4

These John John videos brought back a lot of great memories :)

Here's another cute Sesame Street creation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySsCZb3wiHY

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Butterscotch has arrived!

Poor guy has had a rough couple of days. His last foster parents were pretty horrendous, they were neglectful and didn't tend to his needs at all. They've since been dismissed, thankfully.

Butterscotch has a lot of unique needs. First, he can't really clean himself all to well which means we have the most noble and honorable pleasure of cleaning him after he relieves himself.

He is Mr. Poopy Butthole, ooooweeee

Right now, he's weighing in at around 26 pounds. Unfortunately, his weight loss plan is on hold for now because while he was staying with The Voldemorts, he developed an upper respiratory infection. Probably didn't help that to help him stay clean they sprayed him with a hose. Anyway, the best defense against a URI is for cats to eat, so for now he's gorging himself.

He is indeed a big boy, but he's surprisingly mobile, and generally seems pretty happy. If there isn't food in his bowl he is all over us constantly demanding rubbins and floofins.

I'm also gonna have to get a video because this cat can purr. I've never heard a cat this loud.

We also found out that he was the pet of an older woman who essentially just fed him everything off her plate. So yeah, don't do that, or you end up with a cat like this:

The weight loss is going to be pretty slow going, cat's can healthfully lose about a pound a month, which means his diet could easily take a year and may even longer. Our goal isn't to help him hit a number, however, it's just to get him going and help adopt him out to a good home that can get him to a healthy weight.

His spirits seem to be high for now, we're going to go spend money we don't have on a big cushy bed for him.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Get him a cat treadmill. I think that would be something like a big hamster wheel with a laser pointer on a spring to chase.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That is a fantastic "Can you not :manning:" face on him in that first picture.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I volunteer at my local SPCA and almost all the fatty catty problems we get come from elderly people. It's sweet-sad when you think about it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Why would you volunteer to take care of a cat and then treat it like poo poo. :smith:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Alteisen posted:

Why would you volunteer to take care of a cat and then treat it like poo poo. :smith:

"Fostering? That's perfect! All the fun parts of pet ownership and you can just get a new one when the novelty wears off!"

That, or mental problems.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Cute kid doing something hilarious:

https://vine.co/v/MhEUhpDnqLP

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Cute kid doing something hilarious:

https://vine.co/v/MhEUhpDnqLP

Speaking of awesome kids, Jackie Chan leaning Shaolin moves from a kid :3: I love Jackie.

Though apparently the internet seems to think that's a 43 year old instructor who just happens to be really, really goddamn short :psyduck:

Also, Corgi puppy with hiccups.

Malachite_Dragon has a new favorite as of 03:23 on Oct 24, 2015

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Mission Accatlished

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thanks for taking care of that big fat cat.

How'd the rescue find that the volunteers were being such poo poo?

Synthbuttrange has a new favorite as of 04:54 on Oct 24, 2015

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Chili posted:

Mission Accatlished

Good on you man. I lived with a real fatty kitty for a while. She hated EVERYONE IN THE WORLD except me. We were best buds. She had to weigh about 20ish pounds, but still could leap up about 4 feet. Damnedest thing. Loved that cat. Hope she's good. Her owner wasn't exactly attentive.

If Butterscotch needs a playmate, Panda always could use a good mind to duel with.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Chili posted:

Mission Accatlished

Yeah, I'm gonna need constant updates on this kitty. Photo and video. Just give it to me intravenously. :kimchi:

I'll trade you a happy round seal for it

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

hopefully they harnessed this for electricity

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

Thanks for taking care of that big fat cat.

How'd the rescue find that the volunteers were being such poo poo?

Believe it or not they just happily told the SPCA worker. They only brought him in because he started sneezing a lot. Then, they offhandedly mentioned that he hadn't eaten in three days. Man, I would've love to seen that. Our point person is an immensely sweet, but very tough young woman. She said she was about ready to pounce, but she just told them that if they ever tried to come back they'd be thrown out.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

goatface posted:

Get him a cat treadmill. I think that would be something like a big hamster wheel with a laser pointer on a spring to chase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWxS9MNo4jA

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45FxGkFMmSQ

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
And there will be videos but for the time being... he doesn't sound very good. An upper respiratory infection combined with obesity does not exactly make for a cute/adorable/uplifting post. Once he gets better, we'll be sure to post some of his waddling adventures.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

What's up 30-lb-cat buddy! I'm so glad to see Butterscotch is in a better foster home and he's happy. Big cats just have more love to give.

We adopted Fatty from my in-laws because he was causing problems for them. They had three other cats at the time and Fatty, being an ex-stray, decided that he would never be hungry again and ate all their food as well as his own. When we took him in he was about 26 lbs.

After almost ten years of exercise and meal-feeding him while separated from our other cat, he's down to twelve. He still panicked about food, and he has so much loose skin that I gross my husband out by sticking my hand in it and making wings, but he's the friendliest lap blanket in the world.

Tlacuache has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Oct 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
May want to consider thumbnailing that picture, can't even see it on my laptop.

• Locked thread