Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I thought that's what he meant too, but I guess ChromeCast needs a source so he has a headless player that he can then bounce to the TV via the phone? I'm not too up on it. Either way, PMP is just a replacement for PHT that's not actually replacing it for ages/probably ever as the old version will still work.

Also my short review on PMP : it's really not very good beyond being a bit prettier in a few places. It's a massive step back compared to the Kodi based PHT which lets you do a poo poo ton of stuff, while feeling like a perfect embedded Smart TV or Roku/Apple TV device player. I can see why they want to standardise, but yeah. It's not going to go down well I think. So many problems, and I don't mean bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
Have you seen their forums? It's not going down well. The line from the devs is "hang in there, we can iterate this thing much faster now tat it's our own codebase and we will fix it".
I mean, a lot of the whining is classic :qq: my use case :qq: and I can see both why they would choose to ditch Kodi and why they would go with a stripped-down UI to start with. Still, the navigation experience right now is just not good. I think the backlash would be a lot less intense if their UI layout was better - and this is luckily something that's fixable. Let's see what it looks like in a few months.

I'm guessing DaRealAce is confusing Plex Home Theater and Plex Media Server? If that's the case (media server on PC -> Plex on Android -> casting to Chromecast on TV) then this new player does not affect you at all. It's just another player application that can play media from your library, does not affect the server bit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah, the standardized UI they're planning on moving forward with is pretty poo poo unfortunately. Hopefully it gets better.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You'd think they'd at least put in compatibility with the keyboard commands from Kodi, I honestly don't know what is and isn't there because I press a key that usually does something and nothing happens. I can't even work out if it's possible to switch into windowed mode from fullscreen (something I do tons using the backslash key), because there's nothing to indicate that it's a function that's there. I'm used to a ton of audio and video options during playback, right now there's a grand total of 3 things you can change. You can't even skip forward in small/large increments. It feels like a 0.1 version, which would be fine if they didn't have a system that worked really drat well.

I mean, I'm not pissed even as a paid subscriber because the software I like and use is still there and works fine. But the only people I can see this benefitting are the devs at the moment, it makes their job easier. But they have so much work if they want to bring the desktop software back in line to the current offering, but I'm not convinced they'll actually do that. It's disappointing at the moment for sure. The fact I can't get it to switch my display refresh rate means it's a no go for me, I'm not watching shows and movies forced into 60hz fullstop.

I do quite like the UI though, so if that's generally a negative thing amongst most users then there's nothing in this update for anyone it seems. Ouch.

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!

Slash posted:

WTF do you use PHT for if it's not hooked up to anything? I think you're confusing two applications. There is the Plex Media Server, which indexes your poo poo and serves it out to a client application. The client application can be Plex Home Theater, or it can be the iOS Plex application, or now it can be the new Plex Media Player. As you currently use the iOS Plex application as your client, this change won't affect you.

Unless you use Plex Home Theater for watching your plex content on your PC? If you do then you could replace that client application with the new one.
Yup I'm confusing myself. I use PMS...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Plex confirmed they'll be on new aTV at launch.

https://twitter.com/plexapp/status/656960207994556416

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

CrispKing posted:

If you have a PC/windows/mac/Raspberry Pi 2 or some sort of HTPC hooked up directly to your TV then you probably used to run Plex Home Theater on that. They're replacing that app with the new "Plex Media Player".

For you, this means nothing.

Thanks for replying to my poorly written phone post!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

DashingGentleman posted:

Have you seen their forums? It's not going down well. The line from the devs is "hang in there, we can iterate this thing much faster now tat it's our own codebase and we will fix it".
I mean, a lot of the whining is classic :qq: my use case :qq: and I can see both why they would choose to ditch Kodi and why they would go with a stripped-down UI to start with. Still, the navigation experience right now is just not good. I think the backlash would be a lot less intense if their UI layout was better - and this is luckily something that's fixable. Let's see what it looks like in a few months.

I'm guessing DaRealAce is confusing Plex Home Theater and Plex Media Server? If that's the case (media server on PC -> Plex on Android -> casting to Chromecast on TV) then this new player does not affect you at all. It's just another player application that can play media from your library, does not affect the server bit.

Agree with this, they would have helped themselves much more if their messaging was better.

Plex is also in a weird spot in that with PlexPass you are basically beta testing their poo poo for them. I had to stop using the plexpass server version a while ago after they broke a bunch of poo poo for me.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
From an email from Plex today "After some quality time with our Plex Pass members as an early preview, our Android TV and smart TV apps are available to everyone absolutely free, joining the ranks of our other free big screen apps like Roku, Tivo, Chromecast, and Xbox 360!"

I installed it on my Vizio smart tv, I'll probably still use my android app and chromecast just out of habit though.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Anyone have an option to remote access behind a VPN (PIA, specifically). I'm running everything (Plex, Sickbeard, etc.) off an old desktop- I can access everything remotely through port forwarding except Plex. There's a script that's been floating around to get around PIA, but I haven't been able to get it to work.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

The Modern Leper posted:

Anyone have an option to remote access behind a VPN (PIA, specifically). I'm running everything (Plex, Sickbeard, etc.) off an old desktop- I can access everything remotely through port forwarding except Plex. There's a script that's been floating around to get around PIA, but I haven't been able to get it to work.

What OS? I've done this on Linux, had to do some iptables wizardry to selectively bypass the VPN for the plex domains and ports. It's hacky - I have a script that scrapes a list of plex IP addresses, then sets some iptables rules to route these through the standard internet connection. I can post it if it might be of use.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I'm currently on Windows 10, but maybe I should switch to Linux since it's just sitting in a corner currently. Not sure when I'll have time to figure that out, but something to think about. Thanks.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I use this script I found somewhere on windows - it runs as a scheduled task every 30 minutes.

code:
@echo off
mode con:cols=55 lines=50
title PMS-VPN-ByPass
color 17

echo.
echo  Bypassing VPN by setting up a route through the 
echo  local gateway with a myPlex Class B network mask.
echo.
echo  By Dag Jonny Nedrelid - Thronic.com - 2015.3
echo.
echo.

echo. Finding local gateway ...
ipconfig | findstr /I /C:"Default Gateway" | findstr /I /C:".1" > %temp%\djgwinfo.txt
set /p djgwinfo=<"%temp%\djgwinfo.txt"
set djgwinfo=%djgwinfo:*: =%

echo. Finding current my.plexapp.com IP ...
ping -n 1 "my.plexapp.com"|findstr /I /C:"my.plexapp.com" > "%temp%\my.plexapp.com.txt"
set /p djplexinfo=<"%temp%\my.plexapp.com.txt"
set djplexinfo=%djplexinfo:*[=%
set djplexinfo=%djplexinfo:~0,-24%

:: Convert Plex IP to Class B.
for /f "tokens=1,2,3,4 delims=." %%a in ("%djplexinfo%") do set djplexinfo=%%a.%%b.0.0

:: Check if the route already exists.
route print -4 | findstr /I /C:"%djplexinfo%" > nul

if %errorlevel% equ 1 (
	echo. Adding new persistent route for %djplexinfo%.
	echo.
	echo. Traffic to myPlex is now routed to go through 
	echo. the local gateway %djgwinfo%, bypassing any VPN.
	echo.
	route -p add %djplexinfo% mask 255.255.0.0 %djgwinfo% > nul
) else (
	echo. Active route already found, not adding anything new.
	echo.
)

echo. Done. Press a key to exit.
Save that as vpn_bypass.bat or whatever and then just put it somewhere safe.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Plex app is out for the new Apple TV. Here's a lovely quality video of the new app in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUn_KHYmtrw

Looks nice, but apparently the new Apple TV doesn't support DTS, DTS-HD, or 24p. :psyduck: Also still unsure if Plex content shows up in Siri voice search results because people suck at confirming these kind of things online.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bah the current ATV doesn't because Apple don't sell films with DTS, I hadn't considered they weren't going to support that or 24p. That's me out of using one as my main device (mainly the 24p element).

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
"You're wrong for wanting our device to support things that don't directly benefit our a la carte media store." -Apple

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Doesnt plex transcode DTS audio to DD 5.1? I realize that many people will want dts, but as long as you get 5.1, itll meet *most* people needs.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Cornjob posted:

Doesnt plex transcode DTS audio to DD 5.1? I realize that many people will want dts, but as long as you get 5.1, itll meet *most* people needs.

I thought it did passthrough if the device streaming supported it? I know I get DTS on my Roku 3. If I remember correctly, I had to tell my Roku that I had a DTS receiver and all was good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It has to reencode the audio stream on the ATV3, video is left intact.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cornjob posted:

Yeah, I believe you can force PMS to transcode DTS audio streams to AC3 in the Apple TV Plex app settings. To my knowledge, you have to make sure the "Enable Dolby Digital on Apple TV" checkbox in the PMS server options is ticked under the advanced transcoder settings in order to make that work. Still, the ideal scenario in any Plex eco system is to have the main home theater device Direct Play everything. Was hoping the new Apple TV would be that device but without DTS/DTS-HD/24p support, that's a big NOPE in my case.

[edit]

trilljester posted:

I thought it did passthrough if the device streaming supported it? I know I get DTS on my Roku 3. If I remember correctly, I had to tell my Roku that I had a DTS receiver and all was good.

Roku 3 supports DTS, but not DTS-HD (I think). The Apple TV ONLY supports Dolby Digital, so any content with a DTS audio track requested by the new Apple TV Plex app will get transcoded to AC3 or AAC.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 3, 2015

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

teagone posted:

Yeah, I believe you can force PMS to transcode DTS audio streams to AC3 in the Apple TV Plex app settings. To my knowledge, you have to make sure the "Enable Dolby Digital on Apple TV" checkbox in the PMS server options is ticked under the advanced transcoder settings in order to make that work. Still, the ideal scenario in any Plex eco system is to have the main home theater device Direct Play everything. Was hoping the new Apple TV would be that device but without DTS/DTS-HD/24p support, that's a big NOPE in my case.

Is that a software limitation or hardware? I'm leaning towards hardware, but if it was software, there could be a tvOS update that could enable it. Part of the reason why I'm holding off on the new Apple TV is because of things like this.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

trilljester posted:

Is that a software limitation or hardware? I'm leaning towards hardware, but if it was software, there could be a tvOS update that could enable it. Part of the reason why I'm holding off on the new Apple TV is because of things like this.

I am pretty sure Apple would have to pay to license DTS, and they choose not to. I doubt they sell any media with DTS, so it makes some sense.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

kri kri posted:

I am pretty sure Apple would have to pay to license DTS, and they choose not to. I doubt they sell any media with DTS, so it makes some sense.

This is correct. DTS (like Dolby) has an upfront license and a royalty as well; if Apple isn't selling any content with DTS why would they pay for it? So people can play pirated media on their box without transcoding? :)

Lots of people miss that many common media essence formats, video and audio both, have some kind of royalty/license attached that commercial devices/software pay. The free open source stuff ignores it because A) it's free, no one is making money and B) they don't give a poo poo.

There's a reason Plex Media Server, which does the actual transcoding, etc., is and always will be free and open source, and this is one of them.

For the Apple TV - lack of 24p is more surprising to me, though not uncommon, fits with what they stream I guess.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ixian posted:

For the Apple TV - lack of 24p is more surprising to me, though not uncommon, fits with what they stream I guess.

That's my bugbear too... 99% of their stuff must have a native framerate of 24p, I'm not sure why it's not an option. At least that's something that presumably can be fixed in an update.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I get the chagrin, but transcoding audio is very lightweight compared to video - will it really ever be an issue to anyone?

There's still no USP to the Apple TV that I can see though v0v

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

teagone posted:

Also still unsure if Plex content shows up in Siri voice search results because people suck at confirming these kind of things online.
Not yet. Currently it works with Netflix, iTunes, Hulu, HBO Go, and Showtime. Apple has said they're planning on opening up a Search API so other third-party apps can show up in search results. Depending on how they structure it, it may or may not end up working with Plex (i.e. if they require each third party to have a single universal catalog they upload to Apple's servers, it's hard to imagine how it would work with Plex where the catalog is different for every user).

More surprisingly, and not mentioned in any review I saw, Apple's own Remote app for iOS doesn't (yet?) work with the new Apple TV. So you can't use that for input on any of the 20 password prompts you get while setting it up. At least the Plex iOS app can fling to the Plex Apple TV app...

Mostly I'm just looking forward to dumping PlexConnect in the garbage.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does it at least remember more than one wifi hotspot at a time? I move my atv3 around a fair bit and holy crap it annoys the hell out of me having to hand enter the passwords on the remote. I should change all my wifi passwords to 3 lowercase characters, or have open, hidden ssid locked to the Mac ID and presume nobody cares enough to get in.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Khablam posted:

I get the chagrin, but transcoding audio is very lightweight compared to video - will it really ever be an issue to anyone?

There's still no USP to the Apple TV that I can see though v0v

Even so Plex HT can't transcode DTS to 5.1 DD :sigh:

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

chaosbreather posted:

Even so Plex HT can't transcode DTS to 5.1 DD :sigh:

That's silly, ffmpeg can transcode DTS to AC3 and I'm pretty sure plex is using ffmpeg to do its transcoding.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Do I really need to rescan my entire library just for Plex to see one new episode added to one show? I see that you can refresh a single show, but all that does is update the metadata for every episode of that show, not rescan the folders to see if any new items have been added.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's supposed to be able to see new things as they're added, but I've never found it works for me. Instead I have the library marked to refresh every 6 hours, and if I'm sat down to watch something between those times, I have a Channel called "Library Updater" that works from all the machines that'll scan a particular section for me.

Yes, it is annoying though and if someone has worked out a way of getting it to do what it's supposed to, I'd be damned happy. I don't want to pointlessly thrash the hard disks 4 times a day for no good reason.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

Do I really need to rescan my entire library just for Plex to see one new episode added to one show? I see that you can refresh a single show, but all that does is update the metadata for every episode of that show, not rescan the folders to see if any new items have been added.

You can manually refresh a single library (not sure if that's what you meant by entire). There's an "Update Library" icon at the top right when you enter each of your libraries in the Plex web interface. That said, if you go under Settings > Server > Library you have a few options to choose from regarding detecting any new media. To my knowledge, the auto-magic updating only works if the drive sources connected to your media server are local on the server machine and aren't network shares, so keep that mind.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

teagone posted:

You can manually refresh a single library (not sure if that's what you meant by entire). There's an "Update Library" icon at the top right when you enter each of your libraries in the Plex web interface. That said, if you go under Settings > Server > Library you have a few options to choose from regarding detecting any new media. To my knowledge, the auto-magic updating only works if the drive sources connected to your media server are local on the server machine and aren't network shares, so keep that mind.

I'm still learning and setting up my Plex server, so I only have two libraries at the moment - "Movies" and "TV". So you're correct that it's possible to only update my "TV" library, but it seems it's not possible to only update one show within my "TV" library.

Although - say I made a third library with only a couple TV shows in it, and those TV shows also exist in the main "TV" library. If I update the small library, do the changes to those shows track through to the bigger library?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
In the web UI if you have a TV show selected there's a Refresh button on the left menu bar that will just update that show. I'm not sure if that functionality exists in any of the Plex apps.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

I'm still learning and setting up my Plex server, so I only have two libraries at the moment - "Movies" and "TV". So you're correct that it's possible to only update my "TV" library, but it seems it's not possible to only update one show within my "TV" library.

It is possible, and it's worked for me, but I know others have had issues with getting the server to detect changes. To enable that feature, go to the advanced library settings. There's an option to have your Plex Media Server only do a partial scan, detecting only changes made to specific folders. See below:

To get advanced options, hit the "Show Advanced" button near the top right when under settings.

quote:

Although - say I made a third library with only a couple TV shows in it, and those TV shows also exist in the main "TV" library. If I update the small library, do the changes to those shows track through to the bigger library?

It should changed throughout all your libraries if you enable the option I mentioned above. I just tried it now actually on my server and it took a minute or two for the server to detect new media I added to a specific folder that's listed under my TV library. The detection is not instantaneous in my experience.

[edit] That said, instead of making a whole other library with TV shows already in another library since that's a bit redundant, you could just make playlists with any specific TV show episodes instead.

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 6, 2015

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My plex has always updated itself automatically when new things appear in the TV and Movies folders. :confused:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Krailor posted:

In the web UI if you have a TV show selected there's a Refresh button on the left menu bar that will just update that show. I'm not sure if that functionality exists in any of the Plex apps.

It's my understanding the the refresh button just refreshes the metadata for the show, not scans the folder for any new additions. There's a bunch of stuff on the Plex website detailing the difference between "refresh" and "update".

It's also entirely possible that I don't have everything configured properly at the moment. My Plex Server keeps closing itself randomly and won't open back up until a computer reboot. Also I'm running it on an old iMac that originally had like 10.5 on it, and has had an update-install of basically every OS X version up to the current 10.11. It runs real slowly in general, and I'd been meaning to do a full flatten & OS reinstall, so I might try that this weekend.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

It's my understanding the the refresh button just refreshes the metadata for the show, not scans the folder for any new additions. There's a bunch of stuff on the Plex website detailing the difference between "refresh" and "update".

There's a refresh button when you enter any TV show on a season/episode level, that button will update metadata information. When you're at just the library level, like in the screenshot below, there's an update library button (top right) if you want to manually force an update in ONLY that library.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

teagone posted:

There's a refresh button when you enter any TV show on a season/episode level, that button will update metadata information. When you're at just the library level, like in the screenshot below, there's an update library button (top right) if you want to manually force an update in ONLY that library.

You use maskless Ollie as your Arrow cover? Shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

You use maskless Ollie as your Arrow cover? Shameful.

I also use it as the background :smug: