Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
You want to get in to doom and sludge, you gotta be comfortable with Bong/Weed-based names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

You want to get in to doom and sludge, you gotta be comfortable with Bong/Weed-based names.

This is only really true if you think doom metal started in the 90s, and even then the best bands usually have enough originality to not just have their name be a madlib of bong and some other word.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I was making a joke obviously I'm aware of the many non-cannabis band names out there

Bongripper rules though

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Yeah, don't underestimate the importance of random occult terms to pre-'90s doom bands.

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

band names are very important to me and my 28 youtube subscribers

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I enjoy this Space Bong stuff. Dumb name or not, it's cool.

Anyway, here's some new jazz from Forn.
https://gileadmedia.bandcamp.com/album/weltschmerz

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
In really yet to be disappointed by a stoner/doom metal band with bong in the name. Space Bong is good, thanks.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
hey guys check out my new band Bongweed. we are NOT affiliated with Weedbong and in fact can categorically state that those guys are posers of the highest order and probably Nazis also

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I swear we've had a derail about band names like four times in the last six months

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

I swear we've had a derail about band names like four times in the last six months

Most of these bong bands are musically just as generic. I guess bong is the dis-prefix of sludge. Bongcore!

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
One of my favorite bands that doesn't seem to get much love: Mars Red Sky is putting out an EP before they release their third album.

The EP is called Providence and will most likely be really good if you like nice clean vocal melodies on top of heavy fuzzy catchy guitar riffs.

You can check out their first album here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uyxZZTodsE

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

One of my favorite bands that doesn't seem to get much love: Mars Red Sky is putting out an EP before they release their third album.

The EP is called Providence and will most likely be really good if you like nice clean vocal melodies on top of heavy fuzzy catchy guitar riffs.

You can check out their first album here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uyxZZTodsE

Don't have Bong in the name, not interested

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
a band named Bong and a band named Space Bong, great--this is gonna confuse the poo poo out of me some day

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Calling my new band Bong, James Bong.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
It's common knowledge that every band is actually named Crowbar at its inception, and may only choose a name containing BONG after buying a certain number of Orange amps. This rule was put into place after the original band BONG took the name everyone was thinking of.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

nerve posted:

Don't have Bong in the name, not interested

Ahh sorry, I should have specified that their name is derived from the lyrics of Sleep's "Dragonaut" and even though Sleep's name does not contain any verbiage that might link the band to the recreational usage of marijuana I've learned that Sleep often references the recreational usage of marijuana and even uses images of the marijuana leaf in their promotional material.

edit: The Seven Degrees of Wake'n Bake'n.

Also, in case you missed it and you are Yob fan (mike does the vox) you might checkout the new VHÖL as it is streaming here: http://noisey.vice.com/blog/vhol-sigrid-sheie-interview-stream

It's not doom sludge stoner but it rules.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 21, 2015

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Ahh sorry, I should have specified that their name is derived from the lyrics of Sleep's "Draganaut" and even though Sleep's name does not contain any verbiage that might link the band to the recreational usage of marijuana I've learned that Sleep often references the recreational usage of marijuana and even uses images of the marijuana leaf in their promotional material.

I'm not sure that you're correctly interpreting "drop out of life with Bong in hand" as that could actually refer to any number of bands in the future.

e: I loving love this album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_O2WEpL-Zo

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 21, 2015

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Ahh sorry, I should have specified that their name is derived from the lyrics of Sleep's "Dragonaut" and even though Sleep's name does not contain any verbiage that might link the band to the recreational usage of marijuana I've learned that Sleep often references the recreational usage of marijuana and even uses images of the marijuana leaf in their promotional material.

Also, in case you missed it and you are Yob fan (mike does the vox) you might checkout the new VHÖL as it is streaming here: http://noisey.vice.com/blog/vhol-sigrid-sheie-interview-stream

It's not doom sludge stoner but it rules.

Mars Red Sky and Vhol are both good listen to this guy

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Based on how this album first sounded I was not expecting to like it, but holy poo poo it's pretty heavy and weird. I'm giving the whole thing a listen now. Thanks!

nerve posted:

Mars Red Sky and Vhol are both good listen to this guy

Man the VHÖL album is kind of weird with it's mid song guitar sound changes. Kind of like if Yes played Prog/Thrash?

oh and Graveyard added some more dates:

GRAVEYARD tour dates:

Dec. 4-19 featuring support from Earthless.

December 4 Columbus, OH Ace of Cups
December 5 Chicago, IL Lincoln Hall
December 6 Minneapolis, MN Fine Line Music Cafe
December 8 Denver, CO Summit Music Hall
December 9 Salt Lake City, UT In the Venue
December 10 Missoula, MT Top Hat Lounge
December 11 Seattle, WA Chop Suey
December 12 Vancouver, BC VENUE
December 14 Portland, OR Wonder Ballroom
December 15 San Francisco, CA The Fillmore
December 17 Phoenix, AZ Crescent Ballroom
December 19 Austin, TX Mohawk

Jan. 22 – Feb. 13 featuring support from Spiders.

January 22 Cambridge, MA The Middle East Downstairs
January 23 New York, NY Bowery Ballroom
January 24 Portland, ME Port City Music Hall
January 26 Millvale, PA Mr. Small’s Theatre
January 27 Cleveland, OH Grog Shop
January 28 Detroit, MI St. Andrew’s Hall
January 29 Louisville, KY Headliners Music Hall
January 30 Asheville, NC The Orange Peel
January 31 Raleigh, NC Lincoln Theatre
February 2 New Orleans, LA Gasa Gasa
February 4 St. Petersburg, FL State Theatre
February 5 Atlanta, GA Terminal West
February 6 Chattanooga, TN Revelry Room
February 9 Baltimore, MD Baltimore Soundstage
February 10 Brooklyn, NY Brooklyn Bowl
February 11 Buffalo, NY Town Ballroom
February 12 Washington, DC 9:30 Club
February 13 Philadelphia, PA Underground Arts

- See more at: http://theobelisk.net/obelisk/2015/10/21/graveyard-more-us-dates/#sthash.dHgJiXjp.dpuf

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Anyone have a question they'd like Goya to answer?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
High on Fire and Crowbar southeast dates:

quote:

December 10 Nashville, TN Exit / In
December 11 Chattanooga, TN Revelry Room
December 12 Durham, NC Motorco
December 13 Charleston, SC The Music Farm
December 15 Orlando, FL The Social
December 16 Ft. Lauderdale, FL Culture Room
December 17 Ybor City, FL The Orpheum
December 18 Gainesville, FL The Wooly
December 19 Jacksonville, FL Underbelly

:getin:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Shakenbaker posted:

High on Fire and Crowbar southeast dates:

:getin:

Now that's a gig Ii'd go to! actually High on Fire are playing here at the end of this month, seen em twice already but i'm still stoked.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Doom band names really hit their zenith with Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard, it's all downhill from here.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I still think Slow Mover is the best doom band name and it breaks my heart that it was taken by a non-doom band

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Based on how this album first sounded I was not expecting to like it, but holy poo poo it's pretty heavy and weird. I'm giving the whole thing a listen now. Thanks!

Man the VHÖL album is kind of weird with it's mid song guitar sound changes. Kind of like if Yes played Prog/Thrash?

oh and Graveyard added some more dates:

GRAVEYARD tour dates:

OH poo poo a tour is actually stopping in DC proper on a weekend night!!! And it's Graveyard so I can maybe talk friends and friends' SOs into going!!

Totally agreed on the Thy Catafalque, too. I was like "ok" when I clicked through a track but added it to a playlist, then every time I shuffled onto it I was just like "wait...what? WHO IS THIS???" so now I'm telling everyone.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Sleep is playing two shows in Chicago in January

http://m.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/SaleEventDetail?dispatch=loadSelectionData&eventId=6294555&REFERRAL_ID=twet450241

http://m.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/SaleEventDetail?dispatch=loadSelectionData&eventId=6294565&REFERRAL_ID=twet450241

I had to sell my tickets the last time they were here because of a prior engagement. Not going to make that mistake again.

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

Blast Fantasto posted:

Sleep is playing two shows in Chicago in January

would have been ok to find out about this before i made plans to catch them in Montreal but i love Montreal so i cant complain too much

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I just found out that Thou and the Body are playing a show this weekend while I'm on vacation in SF. If I make it, I can stop feeling guilty for missing Kylsea with Inter Arma

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I don't understand how that voice comes out of that body of the singer of the Body.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

Calling my new band Bong, James Bong.

Bongeater.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ChickenArise posted:

I just found out that Thou and the Body are playing a show this weekend while I'm on vacation in SF. If I make it, I can stop feeling guilty for missing Kylsea with Inter Arma

nice

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

People ITT pretending Belzebong isn't the best band name ever.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I saw elder and earthless last night. While dead roots stirring is probably my favourite album I own, I was a bit disappointed by their live performance. Technical issues aside ( they blew up their bass head during "the end") opening with probably their best known track "dead roots stirring" on a Luke warm crowd probably wasn't the best. Filling the rest of the set with stuff from Lore was a let down too - spires burn or the first album didn't even get a look in.

Earthless was just earthless. They played songs I knew at least, but it was a little too much guitar wank for my taste.

Yob still reign as best gig I have ever been to. All hail yob

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Tying in with recent chat, Goya's planned title for their next album is Harvester of Bongloads.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

New Hooded Menace album is streaming. Despite the fact they don't have bong in their name, it's extremely dope.

http://www.cvltnation.com/cvlt-nation-premiere-stream-review-hooded-menace-darkness-drips-forth/

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
What is Yob's setlist looking like lately? I'm seeing them Sunday and I'm really hoping I get to hear Marrow live.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I think they're playing through all of The Unreal Never Lived, or is that just certain dates?

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Trees and Squids posted:

What is Yob's setlist looking like lately? I'm seeing them Sunday and I'm really hoping I get to hear Marrow live.

Here's what they played in Denver on Sunday, the 25th:

Ball of Molten Lead
In Our Blood
Burning the Altar
The Mental Tyrant
Marrow
Quantum Mystic

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Hulk Krogan posted:

I think they're playing through all of The Unreal Never Lived, or is that just certain dates?

As far as I know, it's just the NYC date on Nov. 5th. Which, delightfully, is the show I'm seeing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
There should be a band or album named Forest Herb of Bongdor. Can have pentagram and stoned Ewoks as the art