Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

:( These store the cards vertically. But thank you.

I know this because they literally have videos that walk through them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whGywKXb-Cs

Rockin' guitar, dudes. ;)

Seriously thinking about giving up on portrait, they don't seem to exist. I'll have to redo my dividers but such is life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

:( These store the cards vertically. But thank you.

I know this because they literally have videos that walk through them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whGywKXb-Cs

Rockin' guitar, dudes. ;)

Seriously thinking about giving up on portrait, they don't seem to exist. I'll have to redo my dividers but such is life.

What, exactly, do you think the term "portrait" means?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Whoops, I've been typing portrait when I meant landscape. Sorry. Long day.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Why not just get some of the regular long boxes and carry more than one of them? They fit more easily in bags if they're one not big box.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Organizer stuff really depends on the game you are playing. We love Caverna and Argent, and we cut significant amounts of time from playing using the special inserts. We also play those game frequently, so it's been a no brainer for us. That's the thing, you want to be playing, not finding. The problem with Plano is a lot of times the size of Plano you need is too big to fit in the box, so then if you go places to play like we do, you have to carry around two boxes for the game. This is not good because I'm old and could forget a box, and while the insert may be expensive, it's cheaper than a new game :).

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I'll deal with ziploc baggies over spending any amount of money on a custom insert.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Scyther posted:

I'll deal with ziploc baggies over spending any amount of money on a custom insert.

Aaannd you won't get as many games played as we do. However we play games in long sessions so it may not matter. If all you do is play a couple of games at a shot, they aren't worth it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Scyther posted:

Think of it as amount of time and frustration saved for an often-played game. Multiply it by the number of people playing.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Just bought the Mage Knight Broken Token insert with a Visa gift card I had and I'm super excited for it. I got the BSG one a few weeks ago and it's awesome. I already had a plano solution for both of these games but these inserts are much better.

I definitely agree that they are pretty pricey and you could just buy a game instead, but I also like my games being super organized so :shrug:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I'm am idiot, so I dropped around $1700 on a CNC mill to make stuff like game organizers with.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

I'm am idiot, so I dropped around $1700 on a CNC mill to make stuff like game organizers with.

That's a little ridiculous, but also where are the pics at?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
^^^ not for remotely decent cnc poo poo it aint

:iia:

I'll buy organizers before I spend another penny on sleeves.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I need a good card box to store my Doomtown Reloaded cards, portrait-style. They are sleeved. I already have dividers. I would prefer the box be about 1inch deeper than the cards. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I use this case for Dominion, may be a bit more DIY than you want and may not meet the specs you need but it's an option that's worked well for me.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Radioactive Toy posted:

That's a little ridiculous, but also where are the pics at?

I'll post them once all the parts arrive and I get it up and running. It's actually not as bad as I made it sound; I'm an engineer and want to get into making stuff, so I already have the skill set to run it and a ton of projects to do my self and work on with others.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I used a plano box for warhammer fantasy roleplay 3e and I found trying to dig the stuff out of the box was more trouble than it was worth. Never bought another plano. I have counter trays for some wargames and they're shallow enough that it's not a problem but otherwise it's baggies. I make everyone participate in setup and it takes very little time.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

cenotaph posted:

I used a plano box for warhammer fantasy roleplay 3e and I found trying to dig the stuff out of the box was more trouble than it was worth. Never bought another plano. I have counter trays for some wargames and they're shallow enough that it's not a problem but otherwise it's baggies. I make everyone participate in setup and it takes very little time.

You realize it's not just set up, right? You end up rummaging through bags, stuff falls on the floor, gets mixed up, etc. This is why I use organizers, they keep the stuff where it belongs and everyone knows where it is.

Baggies are always the preliminary option until I can determine that I'm keeping the game. Then if not an insert (most times not) I'll do something like this https://www.consumercrafts.com/store/details/catalog/storage-jewelry-organizers-and-bead-storage/1150-08

I've posted that before, but it's probably time for a reminder. Works better than Plano because it's shorter and you can use the container during the game as well.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lorini posted:

Organizer stuff really depends on the game you are playing. We love Caverna and Argent, and we cut significant amounts of time from playing using the special inserts. We also play those game frequently, so it's been a no brainer for us. That's the thing, you want to be playing, not finding. The problem with Plano is a lot of times the size of Plano you need is too big to fit in the box, so then if you go places to play like we do, you have to carry around two boxes for the game. This is not good because I'm old and could forget a box, and while the insert may be expensive, it's cheaper than a new game :).

Yeah, I can't say I'd buy custom inserts for everything but the default Argent insert sucks and just throwing everything in ziplocks wouldn't make it appreciably easier to set up and take down. I do ziplocks for Kemet but Kemet isn't anywhere near Argent's level of bits and pieces and need to parcel stuff out during setup, and if I can simply pull a tray out and set it on the table and bam, everyone's tokens are ready to go then hell yes it's worth the $30 to me, because it means more quicker games of Argent.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I use cheap tupperware for all my games; makes packing and unpacking really fast as everyone just grabs a different box and gets cracking. They're also really handy throughout the game keeping stuff organised: money tubs, reinforcement tubs etc, rather than unruly piles of tokens. Really makes the difference when people have multiple piles of stuff or the game has 5+ token types, like Game of Thrones or Dogs of War

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 22, 2015

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I plano everything or use the dividers you can get in ACE hardware stores and it works pretty well. Agricola takes under 3 minutes to set up this way, Mage Knight about 5, longer if we're doing a co-op scenario. Caylus, about a minute.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Lorini posted:

You realize it's not just set up, right? You end up rummaging through bags, stuff falls on the floor, gets mixed up, etc. This is why I use organizers, they keep the stuff where it belongs and everyone knows where it is.

Baggies are always the preliminary option until I can determine that I'm keeping the game. Then if not an insert (most times not) I'll do something like this https://www.consumercrafts.com/store/details/catalog/storage-jewelry-organizers-and-bead-storage/1150-08

I've posted that before, but it's probably time for a reminder. Works better than Plano because it's shorter and you can use the container during the game as well.

You realize people have different preferences, right? I've never rummaged through a bag, stuff gets dumped into piles on the table. Things fall on the floor during handling regardless of what the storage device is, boxes don't have magic forcefields three feet around them. As for mixing stuff up that just never really happens. I especially like baggies for stuff like player-color pieces or putting all one character's pieces together in Mage Knight because you can just toss people what they need.

I mean I'm glad you like your boxes but you're being weirdly dogmatic about this. I just said I prefer baggies due to experience because I hate clawing stuff out of little compartments. It's difficult for me.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Lorini posted:

Aaannd you won't get as many games played as we do. However we play games in long sessions so it may not matter. If all you do is play a couple of games at a shot, they aren't worth it.

If you play like ten games in a session sure, otherwise you're freeing up room to play maybe one more filler game in a night. Woo.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Scyther posted:

If you play like ten games in a session sure, otherwise you're freeing up room to play maybe one more filler game in a night. Woo.

Clearly everyone is different. We do cram a lot of games into our time. It's just how we play. Naturally not having any ownership positions in board game organizer companies, I get no benefit from how people organize. I just spent a lot of frustrating years with baggies and Planos before moving on.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Lorini posted:

That looks ridiculously useful, thanks!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mega64 posted:

I use this case for Dominion, may be a bit more DIY than you want and may not meet the specs you need but it's an option that's worked well for me.

Perfect. I owe you one.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm in the "95% of my games are in bags but I do prefer a good insert" camp. Recently, I've just been burnt out on teaching people games, remembering the rules for something I haven't played in a while, and setting up/cleaning up games. We play a lot of the same game back to back or cards when we get together. I think it's a phase, like Picasso or something

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Scyther posted:

Or ensuring that people get to have fun faster instead of sitting around for 10 minutes while you sort out all the bits and another 10 at the end while you put them away. Sure, you don't need to organise something like Catan or even Five Tribes, but the games Lorini is talking about have many, many bits.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Jedit posted:

Or ensuring that people get to have fun faster instead of sitting around for 10 minutes while you sort out all the bits and another 10 at the end while you put them away. Sure, you don't need to organise something like Catan or even Five Tribes, but the games Lorini is talking about have many, many bits.

Have the game you want to play set up before the guests arrive. Your house, your choice of game. :colbert:

More seriously, having a game decided beforehand and already set up is a good idea if you only have a short (2-3 hours) time to play.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jedit posted:

I am looking at pulling the trigger on one of the Der Weltkrieg games and am breaking out in a cold sweat at working out how to organise 1000+ counters

after I have clipped them all of course

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Get some counter trays, the GMT ones are pretty good. They are sized to fit in any GMT box, though.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
i have a stack of craft/bead organizers that I got at the dollar store, and they work p great for replacing a lot of inserts.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Aghama posted:

I'm looking to break out Pandemic Legacy this weekend, and I'll be playing 2 player pretty much exclusively. We play base Pandemic & OTB with only 2 pawns, but I often feel like we're handicapped by only having two abilities at our disposal.

Does anyone have experience with each player controlling more than one pawn in Pandemic? Does it play better, or is it too cumbersome?

To be honest, the game is harder the more players you have. This is pretty much just a known quantity of Pandemic. It spreads out your cards further and makes it harder to get the cards you need to where they need to be.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Speaking of storage, Blood Rage showed up. Are CMON minis sturdy enough that they'll stand up to just being bagged and thrown in the box or do I need to foamcore something that guarantees no pressure on the minis?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Was that the one where the designer was standing on the minis to demonstrate how tough they were?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

No idea. They seem decently sturdy but it's the only CMoN game I've got so I can't really get a feel for it and I don't want to damage 'em. Kemet had bendy minis, so I'd rather avoid more strangely-angled weapons.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Andarel posted:

Speaking of storage, Blood Rage showed up. Are CMON minis sturdy enough that they'll stand up to just being bagged and thrown in the box or do I need to foamcore something that guarantees no pressure on the minis?

There's a video from gen con of Eric Lang throwing the sea monster at the floor several times (quite enthusiastically) without damaging it.

I'm pretty impressed, the plastic holds a good shape without being brittle. I've just chucked mine into the box in tubs without any special treatment.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 22, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
All my Arcadia Quest minis are loose in a box and have no bending/damage. They're the thicker strong plastic type like Kemet monsters instead of the Kemet troops.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

A new preview is up for combat in the new edition of Fury of Dracula. Having heard that combat was the biggest pitfall of the earlier editions, how does this seem to stack up for those who played the earlier versions?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Need some thoughts on Dicetown and also Bang vs Bang The Dice Game? Couple of games my wife thinks looks interesting.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I have no interest in hidden movement 1 V all games, but holy poo poo that art is incredible. I remember seeing the board at Gencon and how great it looked. So good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Radioactive Toy posted:

A new preview is up for combat in the new edition of Fury of Dracula. Having heard that combat was the biggest pitfall of the earlier editions, how does this seem to stack up for those who played the earlier versions?

The original combat system was "Both players play a card, reveal them, then roll a flat d6 (maybe there was occasional rare +1 modifiers) against each other. Higher roll wins and resolves their card. Each card has 2-3 different effects/levels of damage depending on what your opponents card was"

This new setup looks signifigantly better.