Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
As the last election proved on the Republican side, the results in Iowa don't even really matter that much. I'd love to see Trump take those entitled corn-engorged fuckers down a few pegs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Antti posted:

I guess America truly is colour blind because all of your Carson theorycrafting seems to just assume that his being black won't cause any problems with a huge portion of the Republican base.

Overt racism isn't as mainstream in the GOP anymore.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Roland Jones posted:

Looking around, I'm seeing similar things on multiple websites, so he might not even be a good surgeon. Or at least is one who has made some serious mistakes.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Tricky D posted:

Ironically, Ben Carson is the ideal establishment candidate. His lack of political experience indicates that he will have to rely on advisers to govern; and, because he is a political outsider, his cabinet and staff will essentially be chosen for him by the party. The traits that make him the darling of the "silent majority" anti-establishment wing of the party also make him the perfect sort of empty suit candidate that the Republican party leadership desires. The best thing the establishment GOP can do for itself is let Carson alone and cross their fingers.

If Carson wins Iowa, I expect he might get a call from Prince Reibus of the RNC Kingdom offering him the position of Vice President if/when Rubio gets the nom, provided Carson can tank Trump for them. If he can do that, they'll dump Rubio for him.

I am starting to think the only thing that can stump the Trump is a brain dead neurosurgeon.

Fox Ironic fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 22, 2015

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
So what's up with Rubio these days anyway?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

showbiz_liz posted:

I think he's back in kindergarten now that the school year has started.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

showbiz_liz posted:

Rubio's running a shockingly lackadaisical campaign in terms of events. I think it's to save on travel money? He's going to Iowa on Oct. 30th, but as far as I can tell it'll be his first Iowa visit in October.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

showbiz_liz posted:

Currently trying to seduce the Koch brothers and laughing at Jeb Bush.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Xenophon posted:

I go to their minor league baseball games, they have a dog that fetches the bats, it's cute

there's no rule that says bat dogs can't be speaker of the house!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Antti posted:

I guess America truly is colour blind because all of your Carson theorycrafting seems to just assume that his being black won't cause any problems with a huge portion of the Republican base.

For the vast majority of the Republican base, tribalism completely trumps racism in everything except personal matters. He's not "bad black".

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Donald Trump's pledge: 'We're gonna be saying Merry Christmas'

Trump is going to win this thing.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

GlyphGryph posted:

For the vast majority of the Republican base, tribalism completely trumps racism in everything except personal matters. He's not "bad black".

Antti posted:

Some idiots will stay home instead of voting for "the black guy", but he'd also cut into the black vote a bit as well.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Why hasn't Trump commented on Ahmed the Clock Bomber freely returning to terrorland rather than staying in the greatest nation on earth?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't think so. The race coming down to Carson/Trump as the last two standing is good for Trump. I don't think he wants to see Carson explode, not yet.

This is my take as well. Trump feels he’s not a long term threat, and in the short term, he’s helping to choke out the third tier in the polls.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Carson is the pizza guy of this primary, in absence of Papa John.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Nonsense posted:

Why hasn't Trump commented on Ahmed returning to terrorland rather than staying in the greatest nation on earth?

Does Ahmed jerk it to Supergirl? Yeah that's what I thought.

e: oh poo poo I thought you meant Jeb!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Xenophon posted:

begin the beguine

We are running out of rails for this beautiful man to touch and then keep living. He is amazing.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Carson will fold up like a tent the moment he faces any actual scrutiny on his policy positions or has to be articulate in any sort of manner

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

trumps going to attack carson at the next debate and carson is going to collapse

i dont think so. i think trump avoided attacking carson for a reason. as good as trump is at bringing others down, hes not a witty or clever man. he relies on that bullys instinct to detect other peoples weakness and just pounces on them as viciously as he can. but carson has no easy avenues of attack. calling a respected nuerosurgeon a loser just doesnt play well. someone else could attack carson on the outrageous things he says but obviously that wont work so well for trump.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

It's crazy we have 9 more GOP debates to go between now and March

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't think so. The race coming down to Carson/Trump as the last two standing is good for Trump. I don't think he wants to see Carson explode, not yet.

Exactly.

Carson is a soft spoken black man with a demeanor that screams beta. If it's between Carson and Trump, Trump is going to win. Carson is doing well right now because he's the anti-establishment "nice guy." Carson is the "feel good" candidate for Republicans. Nice guys don't finish first in Republican politics.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

santorum won iowa and that got him nowhere. trump should go all in and and troll the state and i bet all the other states will love it.

meanwhile jeb! can rattle off a list of superheroines he finds sexually arousing while panting into a microphone.

hail satan

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

From what I've heard he isn't great there either; besides his general anti-science viewpoints, there've been multiple patients of his claiming he hosed them up horribly while operating on them. Looking around, I'm seeing similar things on multiple websites, so he might not even be a good surgeon. Or at least is one who has made some serious mistakes.

i talked a lil bit about this before. i tried looking for those twins he separated and either they are dead or hosed up as hell. its kinda gross to me that he loves to parrot an operation that only benefited his reputation.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

babypolis posted:

i talked a lil bit about this before. i tried looking for those twins he separated and either they are dead or hosed up as hell. its kinda gross to me that he loves to parrot an operation that only benefited his reputation.

Whatever happened to that russian guy wanting a head transplant? Haven't heard about that stuff for months.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Montasque posted:

Republicans aren't Stormfronters(Well most of them arent') Carson has REALLY high favorablility numbers in every single poll. Liberals seem to be bringing up Carson's race a lot more than the base(save for Freepers, who are basically a step away from Stormfront)

The kind of racists that people on these forums think make up the Republican party are a vanishingly small, irrelevant minority, roughly as influential as people on these forums who say Communism now a lot are in the Democratic party.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Bob Ojeda posted:

Still think Carson's support doesn't come entirely from religious extremism - I think Republicans just like and respect the guy

Being on Fox News practically every day doesn't hurt.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Trump is pretty smart about his attacks, actually - he usually tests them out. Remember awhile back there were a few instances where he said Carson was an "OK" surgeon "I guess" or something along those lines? There's a reason you haven't been hearing him keep repeating those kinds of attacks.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

this_is_hard posted:

Carson will fold up like a tent the moment he faces any actual scrutiny on his policy positions or has to be articulate in any sort of manner

I'd say he has a chance to go earlier if Trump decides it's his turn. They're both bullshitting their way through this thing and Carson isn't half as good at it as Trump. I think the crocodile tears/glenn beck/compassionate conservative bunch will keep him from doing a Fiorina but he's definitely going to crash soon. Trump can survive the "gotcha" moments because he genuinely seems to not give a poo poo, Carson only started pretending he isn't bothered by people pointing out how lovely he is after he saw Trump getting away with it.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Roland Jones posted:

From what I've heard he isn't great there either; besides his general anti-science viewpoints, there've been multiple patients of his claiming he hosed them up horribly while operating on them. Looking around, I'm seeing similar things on multiple websites, so he might not even be a good surgeon. Or at least is one who has made some serious mistakes.

He did roughly 15000 brain surgeries during his career and made mistakes on something like six of them. It's incredibly disingenuous to try to paint Carson as a bad neurosurgeon. Demanding absolute perfection is unreasonable and childish.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
If Trump is really, really smart he'd start making ad buys in the Super Tuesday and March 15 states. It'll be really cheap now and it'll preclude Bush from being able to blitz him as Romney did in FL after Gingrich stomped a mudhole in his rear end in SC.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 22, 2016

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Intel&Sebastian posted:

We are running out of rails for this beautiful man to touch and then keep living. He is amazing.

The fact that Donald Trump is STILL the GOP frontrunner is magical. Is he just really loving good at this or did he enter just at the right moment and he's just lucky?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 22, 2016

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Antti posted:

we brought this up in gip, but you have to have met these people and talked to them to understand

the entirty of the gop isn't racist, but those who are have two categories of black people. One of those categories is "one of the good ones" and anyone they feel fits into that category they treat as an equal. The other one could just be called thugs, gang members, or niggers, depending on who you talk to. Carson is defacto in the former camp so they would have no issue with him at all.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

DarkCrawler posted:

The fact that Donald Trump is STILL the GOP frontrunner is magical. Is he just really loving good at this or did he enter just at the right moment and he's just lucky?

Right wing radio and TV have primed their audience to fall in behind the meanest rear end in a top hat in the room. They built this army of angry crazies for Trump.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Third World Reggin posted:

we brought this up in gip, but you have to have met these people and talked to them to understand

the entirty of the gop isn't racist, but those who are have two categories of black people. One of those categories is "one of the good ones" and anyone they feel fits into that category they treat as an equal. The other one could just be called thugs, gang members, or niggers, depending on who you talk to. Carson is defacto in the former camp so they would have no issue with him at all.

Yeah, they like Carson because he's a way for them to pretend they aren't racist. "Oh, nooo, we don't hate black people! Just black people who fail to fit into our incredibly narrow definition of how it's acceptable for a black person to behave!"

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

He did roughly 15000 brain surgeries during his career and made mistakes on something like six of them. It's incredibly disingenuous to try to paint Carson as a bad neurosurgeon. Demanding absolute perfection is unreasonable and childish.

Yeah, I feel bad for the woman profiled in that article, but it's dumb as hell to imply that maybe he's actually a bad neurosurgeon and nobody noticed until Yahoo's celebrity gossip column was on the case. There are enough valid things to criticize the guy for and his medical career isn't one of them.

Also the conjoined twins he separated are doing as well as can be expected given that the procedure involved draining the blood out of two 7-month-old babies who were attached at the loving brain

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

anime tupac posted:

Also the conjoined twins he separated are doing as well as can be expected given that the procedure involved draining the blood out of two 7-month-old babies who were attached at the loving brain

"The twins' blood was drained, their hearts stopped, and functionality of their brains limited."

Non-functional hearts and brains - The GOP Base!
:downsrim:

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 22, 2015

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Thanks for doing this, by the way, slapping down bullshit as it pops up in the thread. I'm usually catching up so I can't say it but you're the one routinely calling out partisan bollocks that has no real grounding when faced with scrutiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Tesseraction posted:

Thanks for doing this, by the way, slapping down bullshit as it pops up in the thread. I'm usually catching up so I can't say it but you're the one routinely calling out partisan bollocks that has no real grounding when faced with scrutiny.

It's good.

• Locked thread